News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Which chapter do I pick for 30k  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Which chapter do I pick for 30k
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:07:38 AM »
So I have never played 30k but am planning on purchasing the betrayal at calth box as well as the new prsopero box. I play chaos in 40k so I definitely want to pick a traitor legion but I want to play one that is competitive. I have been leaning towards night lords or thousand sons but figured I would see what people have been experiencing playing 30k before I make my decision.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Which chapter do I pick for 30k
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 04:40:46 AM »
All the legions are viable in 30k, so you don't need to worry about picking a weak one. The armies in 30k are a lot more balanced than in 40k.

There are no rules yet for thousands sons in 30k, so it's hard to say what they will be like, but I expect there will be a lot of psykers. Until a legion has its own rules, there is a generic army list you follow, and then choose one of a few USR's for your force.

Because Marines are not immune to fear in 30k, night Lords have a lot of stuff which causes fear. They are one of only 3-4 legions which are able to deepstrike their terminators, which gives you a lot of options too. Their units get Bonus in combat if they outnumber their opponents.

They have a couple of unique units, which are the Night Raptors and Terror Squads. Both look really cool.

Because of how your HQ's work,and the the Path of War rule, there are a large number of diffrent ways to build your army. Each legion has a couple unique ways to build their army, but there are almost a dozen other ways shared by all the legions (each with advantages and drawbacks).

Want a dreadnought army? Go for it. Want lots of jump troops? Sweet. Want to drop pod in? You can do that too. This is a very small example.

There are also rules for shattered legions. Small bands from multiple legions working together. You could run a shattered legion of thousand sons and night Lords. Gives you more options, but there are drawbacks to that too.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:08 AM »
Thanks that was very informative, I am probably grabbing the boxes at the end of the month so I will think about which I want to do. I like the shattered legions I might go for night lords and thousand sons like you suggested.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »
1st rule of 30k: Never call them Chapters.  ;)

It's really about character with 30k Legions, as a rule the Loyalists are pretty much the same flavours as they are in 40K but the Traitor Legions do have little touches that make them stand out from their full blown Chaos versions.

If I was going to pick a Legion I'd probably start by flicking through the FW website (Because sooner or later you'll end up there) and seeing what grabs my eye. The Primarchs are some amazing models and I'd probably go Deathguard just for the chance to pick up Morty.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
Thanks that was very informative, I am probably grabbing the boxes at the end of the month so I will think about which I want to do. I like the shattered legions I might go for night lords and thousand sons like you suggested.

You'll probably want to get a copy of the rules; as the shattered legions allows you to take from multiple different legions, but it has it's restrictions and drawbacks.

Unless you are building just for the fun of building, then it doesn't really matter too much. The Legions have their own allies matrix too, so you can always take an allied detachment.

If you are interested in 30k. I'd start by picking up some of the plastic boxes (betrayal at calth/prospero as those are both great kits. Then, wait on getting any legion specific stuff until the next Horus Heresy book 'Inferno' comes out (later this year), which will have rules for the Thousand Sons. Then decide where to commit.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria