News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330712 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1920 on: May 6, 2020, 02:01:22 PM »
Everything is so damn nice Cav. Damn.

I'm really jealous of your ability to paint so consistently over an entire army...and then to have the patience to go back and repaint parts of that army so it all looks as good as it can. As you know, I have Hobby Butterfly Syndrome, so the thought of owning such a large, visually impressive army is just a pipe dream for me.

Beautiful work as always.

Damn.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1921 on: May 12, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »
@Dread- Thanks for the kind words buddy I appreciate it.

@Myen-Tal- Thanks Myen-Tal they and Dire Avengers are my fave Aspects too. I'm really glad the Spears came together because they are a project I started about 5 years ago gathering bits. So thanks bud glad you dig them!

@Looshkin- lol... thanks man yeah its been a long process and not easy, so I understand the struggle. Half of what makes it possible is that I dont own anything but Eldar stuff for the most part so there isn't a lot of room for distractions. If I dont buy non-Eldar stuff I wont paint it lol!!! But yeah I had to go back in and make my core units look good. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Anyways thanks bud and still looking forward to your triumphant return to painting Aeldari!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #1922 on: May 23, 2020, 07:44:06 AM »
Your army is so beautifully, fantastically painted up and presented Cav it’s a joy to behold.  I love stopping by to see it.  Thanks for sharing!  ;D

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1923 on: May 23, 2020, 09:52:07 PM »
Thanks buddy. I'll hopefully be quitting one of my jobs soon so I can paint my own models again.... fingers crossed and it'll be all Eldar all the time (and a little World Eaters!)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1924 on: July 1, 2020, 08:41:38 PM »
Wow guys. In the past 10 years I have not gone this long without painting a model for myself. 6 months into the year I've only painted a Fire Prism, a Hornet and 3 Harlequins... and in the past 3 months nothing at all! But the good news is that time is over because I am DONE commission painting. Got another job and continuing with the podcast and now its all me, all the time when it comes to 40k.

So to celebrate I painted my first new model, in my new house and it was a Harlequin! I cannot wait to get a battalion of these guys out on the battlefield in 9th edition out in the wild! With all those CP's its going to be a thing of glory. So I have another Troupe Master, one extra player, another Troupe, and 2x Star Weavers to paint before I have a bare-bones battalion.

I cant tell you how excited I am to have a Harlequin army, and to feel confident in my ability to actually play them well! They are one of the most fun armies you can possibly play and to have a legit army of them alongside my overall Aeldari collection is truly a highlight experience for me... but I gotta get there first!

Anyway guys, got some fun stuff coming up. I've got a Wraithseer, a new Avatar of Khaine (I got a new one after I sent my old one off to a client) and a Wake the Dead set with my name on it. Also have plans for other odds and ends as well... but we'll see what I feel like doing first.

Anyway guys hope you are well and looking forward to chatting soon

« Last Edit: July 1, 2020, 08:43:44 PM by Cavalier »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1925 on: July 1, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »
Good to see you've been able to claw back some personal time, and seem like its just in time for 9th ed, as it looks like the 25th is the official release for the limited boxset. Hopefully the restriction for you guys will be lifted soon, looking forward to hearing all about 9th ed on splintermind.

Those harlies look amazing :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1926 on: July 1, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »
Good to see you're active my friend. Hope this virus crap hasn't upset your life to much. I love your harlis! They are so, well, perfect! I am so jealous of your painting ability but proud to have watched it grow over the last several years. As always it is a pleasure to see your armies. Can't wait to see the star weavers. Ttyl 8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1927 on: July 3, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »
Amazing work once again, Cav, I'm at a loss for words! Love the 'Quins!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1928 on: July 4, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »
Hold on to your potatoes everyone; Cav's back and he's here to make us all look and feel bad with his awesomeness!

Welcome back to your own painting Cav. It really is inspirational to see you back at it...and you started with a bang. Lush Harlequins. The reds are so rich, as are the golds...and then the black and white diamonds are flawless. Absolutely flawless.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cry into a pile of unpainted models.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1929 on: August 8, 2020, 08:50:18 AM »
@Loosh- Hey thanks so much for the kind words man, I really do appreciate it. I really feel like I'm putting some finishing touches on my overall collection with the Harlequin stuff. There will always be little projects here and there, but this the last big one and its a challenge as you know, so I'm really glad you like it, thanks man.

@Mage- Thanks man, I'm hoping the restrictions will be lifted too. I really want to get some games in at my awesome FLGS which is only 10 minutes away. Its a huge store with tons of terrain and 6 full sized tables just for 40k.... thanks man!

@Myen'tal- Thanks buddy!

@Dread- THanks man I do have one Starweaver painted but I need a second one for this second squad. 7 more models and I'll have a baby battalion for the Harlies. Cant wait!

@Everybody- Speaking of finishing touches... so after years and years I finally painted my last bit of Forgeworld and its a great one, my Wraithseer. This guy is great in 9th and just an awesome overall model. I gotta get a group shot with him and his Wraithblades because they super cool together. Very happy with how he came out... can't wait to paint up some additional Wraithlords in the future so I can run a proper Wraith Wall... which is actually damn good!

Also another finishing touch, is repainting my Corsair/Avengers. These were the first units I painted when I started my army and it was time to strip them and paint them up to my current standard. They looked OK, definitley worthy of being on the table, but for me I really want my Troops to be painted at a good high level, especially my actual Corsairs.

I spent yesterday working on my Felarch (squad leader) and I cant wait to finish him and show him off. I spruced up his kitbash and man it made a world of difference. Can't wait to have all my Corsairs/Avengers painted to the same standard as my Warriors for the Drukhari part of my collection, then slam them all down in a big old game.

Anyway been slow progress (although I dont have much to paint actually) but I'm happy with it! Alright guys talk to you soon!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1930 on: August 8, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »
The seer is the bomb! The gold work is amazing. But everything you do is.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1931 on: August 8, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »
Okay, Cav, I think you've said this before but how do you get the gold so lustrous and shiny?

The Wraithseer and the corsair leader are looking magnificent!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1932 on: August 8, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »
@Dread- Thanks bud!

@Myen'tal- Thanks man! Honestly the trick for me is using Reikland Flesh wash as it gives a really warm slightly orange/brown richness to the gold. I also only do the bare minimum of highlighting on my gold, usually only on raised areas with another really nice gold. I just let the basic color do its thing, so when the light reflects off of it, it doesn't terminate in the artificial light effects. I also think highlighting gold with silver is a huge mistake, but thats just my experience. Anyway thanks!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1933 on: August 9, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »
hmm might be the bbackdrop, but wraithseer looks very grey, but the blue in the folds and vanes is genius.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1934 on: August 15, 2020, 04:40:49 AM »
Wowzers Cav, you've knocked it out of the park with the Wraithseer. The grey armour is just luscious...I love the soft blue shading, while the finish on the armour plates is so clean and the highlights are really crisp without being too bold. It's simply a work of art man. Well done. Personally, I would consider adding a couple of red elements to the model to tie it in with the rest of your army, but it's just so pretty I don't know if that would knock it off balanced, colour-wise.

I quite like that we have similar approaches to painting in so many ways, but little things make us quite different and distinct; for instance, I much prefer softer golds (I love yours, but I prefer mine lighter...it's probably deep gold working better with red, light gold working better with blue)...and I'm quite the opposite - I am a big fan of a tiny bit of silver for a final highlight. And now we probably have to be mortal enemies!!

The Corsairs are looking, as always, amazing.

Great work Cav, it's really nice to see you cranking out your own work again.