News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Input on my next Orky projekt  (Read 4319 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Input on my next Orky projekt
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »
Guess what?  I gotta fever, and the only prescription is more Scratchbuilding.

So yeah, I'm feeling the need to build more Orky stuff that I don't necessarily need, have space in my display case for, and as always am having trouble deciding what exactly I want to build.  So I'm throwing out some of my scratchbuilding ideas to the WotW and Ork Forum to help me figure it out!  (And if anybody asks me to I'll also create a WIP log in the Konversion and Modelling Board when I figure out what I'm building.)

So here's my possibilities/conundrum of awesomeness I can't pick from...
  • 1-3 Mekboy Junkas each with Ard Top (?), 3 Big Shootas, Deffrolla, Turbo Charga, and Riggers, all done up in Bad Moon Heraldry/paint
     My main idea is to have the central part a scratchbuilt Dakkajet center body, with the Rolla upfront and Leman Russ tracks mounted on the sides.  The idea really came about after re-reading Deff Skwadron, which was my main point of reference last month when building the Dakkajets for the Junkyard Build.  Fluff-wise the Mekboy(s) who built it want to be kommissioned to build more Jets, and it would work nicely if/when I go terrain crazy and build a Dakkajet maintenance and runway facility (which frankly would probably end up taking up an entire board, just one reason why that idea's on the back burner, the way way back burner)

• 1-2 units of 5-6 Meganobz all done up in Blood Axe Heraldry/paint
     So I scratchbuilt quite a few Meganobz in the past, and at that time I was really proud of them.  Of course that was in 07 or 08, and my skills have improved and changed quite a bit, plus they're really showing their age.  I know I can build some new and much better ones now, and with their improvements in 6th I really could and probably should go for a dedicated Deff Wing army.  It would also give me some use to the various Ork arms I have lying about that consistently scatter everywhere the bitz box falls down (it falls down much more often than it should).  Additionally in case you haven't noticed I'm moving away from my traditional freebootas heraldry/paint in favor of either Bad Moons or Blood Axes.  Bad Moons were originally what I was going to do for my still incomplete IA8 force, and Blood Axes would be great to use for allies/submit to skumgrod's requests to use some of my Orkz in games against me.

• 1-3 Allied Imperial Guard Leman Russ Battletanks with Sponson Heavy Bolters and Dozerblades
     Well it is November so its that Tanksgiving season.  The Leman Russ tank is for some reason a model I really like, which is one reason why there are almost always Leman Russ bits used in my konverzions.  With the Allies rules I really like the idea of taking an allied Russ Squadron, especially if some or all have Orky pilots.  The downside of course is that a tank company of 3 is over 1/4th of my local standard 2000 point lists, and that's before trying to figure out the allied Troops or HQ to field them.  Still I like the idea of allied IG, only have to decide if their enslaved, mentally corrupted by the Orkz ala Diggaz from GorkaMorka, or a PDF that hired the Orks to supplement their less than battle ready status.  Than of course there's the 4th option of a Rebel Grot army using the IG list, but that's an army building projekt all unto itself (especially if I make scratchbuilt Big Luggas as count as count as Chimeras!  NO!  I already have too many projects in mind to add to it now without going to the depths of Rebel Grots!)

• 1-3 Battlewagons each with Ram, 2-3 Big Shootas, and Kannon, all done up in Blood Axe heraldry/paint
     Slightly different loadout of the Wagons that I traditionally use.  The konversion plan being to take a Leman Russ hull only in reverse, extend it, plop in the flatbed from a Trukk/scratch a flatbed, throw on some Russ tracks and wheels and she's good to go.  Debating on if I want the Kannon to be turret mounted, that's probably the way to go, also have been racking my brain trying to figure a way to build an optional Ard Top, but at the moment it escapes me.  The wagons would be great for an allied force (two as a Nob/Meganob transport, one as Heavy with possible 20 Shootas in it).

So there are my four contenders, as you can see it's a little hard for me to choose, all of them seem like great fun builds, each of which would unfortunately skate that fine line of 70% GW material rule at my LGS.  Then again I seem to be getting rather good at replicating the Russ Tracks to the point that people don't notice its not GW unless they take a real close look at it (and those tracks are a staple of 3 of the 4 possibilities).  In any case given time I know I'll create each, the hard part as always is deciding what to do first, which in my case grinds me to a dead stop of non-building.

As always any comments and/or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated, even if it's just telling me that I have to make up my own mind.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
Re: Input on my next Orky projekt
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:22:08 AM »
ok OD  if I where you I'd go run around screaming cause this is a tough one for me.  Cause you can always use mega nobz hell I'm currently working on 5 and then I'm stepping it up to twenty more  cause I'm really going deffwing.  Plus you painting a none yellow model is always good to see.  Of course if you did this then the wagons are a must too since  megas don't walk.

So to that one both projects should be done together.

now on to the rebel grot army sign me up I love the idea but it will consume you but not as long as the terrian build for the first idea which would be really cool too.

So I really think you need a bigger stove.

But rebel grots oh my that would be sweet  I just wonder what a grot stormtrooper would look like   I think that just hit a burner on my stove.  I'll need to ponder this one for awhile

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
I think the junkas are the best project, however I disagree with the ard case part, but hey that is just me, as I like my vehicles to be assault vehicles, and in the big book all open top vehicles are assault vehicles.

I think you have seen mine, if not I will post pictures, but they are great transports, and have a better choice of weapons. You may want to consider arming them with twin rockit launchas. Sure it boosts the points for them to over 100 for three sets of twin rockit launchas, but it makes them your newest anti air squadron (with 18 rockit shots you are bound to hit something).

The other good side to it is that they are the epitome of orkishness, true ork mek madness, Good Stuff! Not to mention that with a little pinning here and there you can change the loadout for each one easily and it will still look good. So this way you can still have the rockits and/or the big shootas, and/or skorchas. I found that the big zappa is a waste of points as in two games I did not roll a single hit, but the supa skorcha was just a two thumbs way up kinda weapon, killing off so much stuff I lost count.

The junka might also the solution for your kommandoes, they come in from reserve and shoot stuff, and the armor of the junka will prevent all sorts of casualties. If the junka survives, then on their next turn they can disembark and assault. I don't have my FAQ with me at the moment, but I think I remembered reading that outflankers can take a vehicle but have to start mounted in it, or something along those line.

Hmmm, makes me want to do an army with three large units of kommandoes..... In junkas...... Hmmmmmm!

Sorry, sorry, this is your thread about what to do next, so I will go back to discussing junkas.  :-[

I like the idea of ork vehicles, especially ones that don't have to worry about not pressing a "that". Of course if you want to go fast then you run the risk of being immobilized, but hey, they come with grot riggers as standard kit, so not much worries there.

The other advantage is you can use any vehicle as your base. So using jet bodies is conceivable, as well as looting other stuff like hair curlers and ping straws, that properly painted will look natural on an ork vehicle.  8)

I could go on and on, and the more I do, then more I too want to go and build some. So I had better stop here before I talk myself into building a handful of junkas.   My two teef.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
I like the junka idea...As there's no real definitive junka model, there's no one that can say, "Hey, that's not a junka!"  I have one that I started, still staring me in the face, taunting me...

But, I like the battlewagons too.  Here's why:  Last year during the what seems to be annual Tanksgiving at our LGS, My humble battlewagon, woefully out-gunned, and somewhat out-classes by a plethera of heavy tank options (mostly, 3 baneblades, 3 Leman Russes, and a Land Raider) won the competition with a reinforced ram.  It was a matter of screaming around the table, and hitting everyone in the rear armor.  At one point we even had a bizzare "conga-line" with 5 tanks in a row and everyone nervous about dice rolls.

IMO, the Leman Russes (Russi ?) would be a waste of your talent and time, especially if they are for an allied contingent; which implies that they would be mostly stock, little fanfare...although it never hurts to have additional firepower on your side...it is a conundrum, no?

Can't wait to see pictures...good luck!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
I really wanna see the battlewagon conversions. You have got me interested in how those guys would play out. I would also like to see the mega-armoured nobs, but that is for selfish reasons :). I wanna convert some myself and would like to see your take on them.

Of course, I would also like to see those junkas. I agree with Ork E Nuff, the Lemans would be less interesting.
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »
Mega nobz really rock this edition so I would opt to atleast try to make a few.   Aside from that Mad max style vehicles are always fun.  Kinda the army theme I was going for with my transports.   So I am also going to say junkas are fun.    I know when I did my last two trucks it was a lot of fun and using one trukk kit and a model kit i got two trucks plus a lot of left over bitz.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
Well I'm not going to lie, I spent a good portion of the day racking my brain on this, and instead of coming up with an answer for myself, I realized that some Warkoptas would be awesome too.  Ugh, scratchbuilding is a passion, but figuring out the builds or what to do can be a nightmare at times.  In truth the problem ultimately lies with me overthinking it all.

Good Luck on your DeffWing Typhon, please post some pics and let us at the WotW know about their exploits!  Call me crazy, but it sounds like you have a bit of an Orky animosity against Bad Moons.  With Blood Axes I'm not sure exactly what I'd do painting wise, I'm dreadful at trying camo patterns, which is why my old Eldar Pathfinders and Rangers just had green cloaks instead of camo.  I know I want to use a khaki green like they had in a great picture from Waaargh the Orks.

I really think you need a bigger stove.
Ha!  I know right!  You have no idea how much I laughed over this one.  As for Rebel Grots its something I've always planned and wanted to do, but at the same time am relieved that I've never made that step towards actually making.  The big problem against them is that with all the rule lawyering people around me, I know I'd have to find someway of making each infantry model the same size as a Guardsman, and trying to figure that one out has kept me away from doing it.

As for what a Grot Stormtrooper would look like, in my mind if I were to do it, those would be the ones who have either been heavily enhanced by Orky cybernetics done by Grot apprentices to rebel Bad Dokz, or (the easier route) of taking a Cadian Guardsman with a Forest Goblin head, and plasticarding shin guards, elbow guards, a bit of plating around the hands, and then some sort of backpack to link up to a standard lasgun with a modified barrel and some sort of scope.  The later idea is really doable and not difficult, probably something like an hour or two for a prototype, and then it'd be a cinch to build the rest after piece sizing for each scratch piece as occurred.

I think the junkas are the best project, however I disagree with the ard case part
I do hear you on that Skeetergod, the problem is of course how I plan on building them.  I really like the idea of the jet as the core body of the tank, the main problem though is that even if I don't get a canopy for the front, it's not exactly going to look like an open topped vehicle.  Additionally one of the problems with my design idea is that it's not going to look like it can carry a single Ork other than the driver and maybe a gunner.  Then to make matters worse there really is no way to build a rear hatch either, so there's still design flaws to work out.

Alternate guns to the Big Shootas is something I've thought a lot about, in truth I've only meant/wanted to build some Junkas since IA8 came out.  In fact had I actually gotten a viable design idea a few months ago I would have built and decked one out with 3 KMBs, although the point cost is a bit outrageous for what the model is, and unfortunately I feel the same is true for the Rokkitz.  As with the Skorcha, I've always had an incredibly poor track record with Flamer vehicles.  Perhaps I should give them another go one day. 

Ultimately since Junkas will probably only see use in relatively rare games with people who don't protest the use of IA8, there's two real uses I have.  As a cheap fast distraction from the Walkers, or as a long range Balistic Missile delivery system with Grot Bombz.  I still however can't figure a way to build Grot Bombz.  I don't really think I'd have use for them in the AT area, as 1-2 units of 5 Rokkit Kans and at least 1 unit of Spannaz with a KMB Mek

When I get a chance I'll have to look up the rules for Transporting an outflanking unit.  I think that it has to be a Dedicated Transport to outflank with the unit, but I may be wrong on that.  In the event that I am, I'm definitely gonna build 2 to go with some new Kommandos (I never play a game without at least 1 unit of Lootas these days).  Who knows, maybe those will be the ones with a SAG... wait no, no they won't, the point cost is just too prohibitive.

Oh and Skeetergod, don't worry about getting off track or whatnot, hearing your crazy idea gave me a crazy idea, and who knows how many other readers are being inspired by it!  Roll with it my friend.

Ork E Nuff that's the real reason why Junkas are on the build list.  Some of my konversions really show their age when GW releases "real" versions, such as my old Kommandos, or Battlewagons.  Nice to hear about your Battlewagon success, I hope you added some shiny new gubbins afterward.  As for the Russ's being...
a waste of your talent and time, especially if they are for an allied contingent; which implies that they would be mostly stock
I thank you for thinking that I have talent and that my time has some sort of value to it, best compliment of my day.  As for them being mostly stock though, I pride myself on ensuring that my models are never stock, especially when it comes to vehicles.  I have 3 main reasons to that of course, 1 I like to build/konvert/scratchbuild, 2 I'm crazy when it comes to personalization and that's part of Orky fluff, 3 after having some of my collection stolen a few years back, I like having models that are instantly recognizable as mine at a glance.

One of the big things that would really inform the non-standardization of the builds and paint is how I decide what kind of IG allies they'd be.  For example if they're nutters like GorkaMorka Diggas they'd dress the tank up like proper Orkz would, adding glyphs, graffiti, kill counts, warpaint and the like, not to mention they'd look as if they were in severe disrepair/been fooled around with by a Mek and they'd of course be thrilled to have an Ork or two along with them to be propa Tank Kommandaz.

Or if they were a PDF who hired the Orks, than they'd be full of Elite warriors who've taken a beating of some unknown enemy would have multiple war trophies and different kinds of battle damage, but little in the way of field repair (especially if I go with Nid fighters as most of the Bad Moons I've built up have Nid trophies, as for damage I've always wanted to build a tank with partially splated Spore Mine stuck to the side, and yes anyone is free to loot that idea!)

I really wanna see the battlewagon conversions. You have got me interested in how those guys would play out. I would also like to see the mega-armoured nobs, but that is for selfish reasons :). I wanna convert some myself and would like to see your take on them.
Ask and you shall receive...

here's an old WIP of one of my old Megas I was building back in the day

As you can see it's passable, and after it was finished and painted there have been a few times that no one's noticed it's not converted from stock (but that's really because non-Ork players really take the time to notice various details).  Nevertheless I know I can do better now, and I will admit that there's been more than one person whose negatively commented on the legs.  If or rather when I do more Megas I doubt I'm going to use stock Boyz or Nobz legs, but I would definitely add some much needed pistons and gears, not to mention wirework.

I remember that someone once demanded that I give them a template for the Megas, but at the time I did these there was no template, and from what I've seen I like my way better.  What I did was take extensive measurements of the Meganob I had, and than built as close to scale as I could (then of course I wasn't too precise, after all this is supposed to look like a Mek did it), than added a liberal amount of bitz.  Of course it was only later that I realized that their shootas are supposed to be twin linked as my Meganob was either a miscast with one barrel or was supposed to have an attached Kombi weapon bit that was missing.  The Shootas are another thing I'd do completely different this go around.

As for the Wagon, I did start building one in the style I described a year or two ago (maybe it was 09, I don't really know anymore), but after it fell off the table and shattered into pieces I junked it.  I think that Russ hull may be the one that's now on the base of the Dakkajet I built in the last Junkyard thread.

It's a good idea, I just didn't have it quite right at that time, the idea I think was a bit beyond my skill level at that point, and my attempts at making a visible interior were dreadful to say the least, not to mention incredibly time consuming.  Doing it now, I'd have a lot more in the way of plating, better big shootas, and a more realistic front screen.  Its one of the things about scratchbuilding, every project helps you evolve into being better at it, some turn out amazing and some don't.  Actually most don't, even today I think my ratio is something like for every great one there's 2 horrible ones.  It's all a learning experience, and with scratchbuilding now when I look back at some of the stuff I was thought was great, my first thought is that I could do better.

So at the moment its looking like popular opinion is leaning towards the Junkas with Battlewagons and Megas not far behind.  I'm still on the fence a bit, so if anyone has anything more to say, or someone wants to chime in, you're all welcome to do so!  Thanks for all the input guys!  You're making a hard decision a bit easier

Peace
~OD

WHAT I was Ninja-d!
Yeah I hear you on that AoD, it's a great challenge to see how far you can stretch one kit, and I still think about looting those trukk designs of yours.  I know I'll eventually get around to everything, but your comment does help motivate me to bring the Megas further up to the top of the build list, I guess at this point its really between the Junkas or Megas.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:45:18 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 07:29:49 AM »

Call me crazy, but it sounds like you have a bit of an Orky animosity against Bad Moons. 

Animosity towards bad moon  I like the moon's it's just we rarely get to see you paint other than yellow.

Proof of yellow love

Just wanted to address my arguing war bosses always fight over who DA Bestest of them all.    Scary but once I'm done with the foundation of my waaaagh I'll have  well Ghazzy on top cause he is the baddest by history.  he won't be the biggest.  but then I'll have 5 more warbosses arguing over the rest.  Due to I'm planing a big crazy build for my orks. 

I have a post in the project blog
The WAAAAGH to end my WAAAAGH. Feral, Freebootaz, and speed freaks OH MY....

I know shamless ploy here but I'm currently working on tank tracks and mega nobs so if you need ideas on beefy mega legs,  not saying your not capable just helping the boss when needed.   Due too I feel your input on this build I'm doing will help greatly plus of course I'll take every ones input.   Due to I'm about ready to convert my first raider into a proper  ork flying machine for freebooter war boss" insert name here"  I know I haven't named him yet or made him cause I need to see his portion of the waaagh to take form before I scratch build him but he is going to be mainly pirate.  Just debating on the look and how to arm him.

Of course with the rebel grots the model just needs to be the height of a guardsman.  a nice cork board rubble base should make him the same height.  I really think the best rule lawyer in the game will argue your bases rubble is too tall  so that makes  your models easier to see. 

Plus as for the junkas if you build them I have a request a grot roasting a hot dog off the jet burna would be classic.  Plus I wouldn't be afraid to have the orks get off in front of the burna jet  cause orks are all about safety first.

Cheers and good luck

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
I see you want some grot guided missiles, well here is a picture of a junka I did with smart missiles.

The body is an old style rhino, with a biker on the front. I was trying to make a larger version on the one you see in the Apoc book. As for the missiles, you can go to your local toy store and they have these toys called "True Heroes" and the plastic that is used is the same that GW uses, so the conversion stock you can get for cheap is mouth watering.

Hope that helps
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »

I know shamless ploy here but I'm currently working on tank tracks and mega nobs so if you need ideas on beefy mega legs,  not saying your not capable just helping the boss when needed.   

Well, OD might not need ideas for mega armoured legs, but i do, please could you either post them here, or PM me as i am struggling to do them, everything else is OK (i have shamelessly looted a few ideas from your MaNs), but i could do with a bit of help, as i am far from a verteran scratchbuilder.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »
Ginger not to thread steal from OD here but I'm currently trying something new for my legs this time if it works then I'll release the grubby little details.  cause it will speed up the build big time well for me cause I don't have the smallest hands or finger so little plastic card peices drive me mad.  Hey that's why I just love rivets.  Some time i wonder why I ever started orks wait the DA BEST

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »
I know shamless ploy here
Like my initial post asking for help figuring out what to build wasn't a shameless ploy?  Okay, well there's a little shame.

In anycase one of the points of the WotW is to build a community, and to that end I think that was not only accomplished, but its thriving even in the face of codex creep.  And there's nothing wrong with wanting to share your work and look for input from fellow members of that community.  I'll be checking out you're project blog when I can (at the moment I shouldn't even be here because I just landed a new play and should be learning lines with my 2 week deadline).

And typhon that's some great Bad Moons there!  As for myself I don't have that many Bad Moon units (well the 11 Kans, 6 Dreads, the Grot Mega Tank and a Big Mek all of which were built for WotW events).  Good luck with your new prototype legs, I gotta ask if they're gonna be D-Luxe Kickin Legz or the Mark III exploding variety.  As for the difficulty with small bits, I suggest a good pair of detail tweezers, they've been invaluable for me.  (Oh and noone should worry about thread stealage, I'm really glad this thread is evolving into a 'help everybody' and 'nice mini' thread!)

Amazing Junka Skeetergod!  I've probably seen it before, but for some reason must not have saved that in my reference folder, a mistake that is now remedied.  Great use of the wrecking ball crane, and I always dig a Warbiker front to any and all vehicles.

Ginger farseer, I think you can figure it out, but if you ever feel the need for help, all you need do is ask.  Legs tend to be something I personally struggle with, especially when it's something scratchbuilt, but the most important thing to think about with them is articulation.  Of course the model shouldn't have real articulation, but look as if it can, case in point the three main joints of the legs: where they meet at the hip, the knee, and the ankle.  Take this WIP pic from one of my kans for example

To enhance the believability, as well as realism at the joints/ articulation points there is roundbar "gears" and a kneecap to protect "worky bitz" which of course are not actually there.  I hope this somewhat helps.

Peace
~OD

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »
I was think on the nob legs this time around I could use the square plastic tubes and then using the round tubing to cover the front of the legs on the nob to help bulk him up.   plus I have a grubby little idea on the wires also.     If it works good ill post a how too

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
Man am I bummed, I have been thinking of the three junkas full of kommandoes all day. (it really shows that orks are addictive)
I finally get home from work and check the rules, and there in print it says "dedicated transport". Since you can't buy a kommando any kind of dedicated transport, there goes my wild theme flyin out the window in a puff of smoke  :'(

Same for putting kommandoes in a bomma and having them jump out over enemy lines, another not so good idea  ???

So much for making three units of kommandoes in junkas, I guess I will will have to just have to figure out some other wild hair idea.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: December 3, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
Well then, it has been half a month and you never did let us know what we talked you into...

Maybe you could do it and enter it into the Saint Snick contest (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

So stop with the procrastination already... The suspense is killing me.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #15 on: December 4, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »
Skeet he is probably busy with his current role in the play.  but I'm in the waiting boat with you.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 5, 2012, 01:05:08 AM »
My apologies abound for leaving you guys hanging.  Not my intent, after all I can't let something that I can prevent killing Skeetergod, he's a father after all, and that "honey-do" list probably has him working hard enough as is. (insert Skeetergod's trademark orky green smiley here)

Skeet he is probably busy with his current role in the play.  but I'm in the waiting boat with you.
Typhon is right, the show has been keeping me fairly busy, we just opened on Sunday so things are settling down a bit.  Nevertheless I have to also point out that Skeetergod is right in giving this quazi lazy git of a Mek a kick in the keister (there's a reason why the fluff I've written features lazy Mekz!)

The only work I've done so far is some basic concept sketches to more fully flesh out a Junka utilizing the core of a Jet.  (If my scanner was working I'd post at least one of these sketches.)  One of the big problems that I keep encountering with this idea is how to integrate more GW product into it, as at the moment the only bits I see using is: Dark Eldar Rear Jet, Trukk front grille, 2 Rhino Doors, and a couple Leman Russ access hatches.  This is unfortunately no where near the 75% GW bits rule for my gaming area, but on the bright side there are 2 or 3 semi-local players that would be cool with playing against a more scrap built model. 

It's one of the reasons why I've let myself get a bit side tracked on building the Junka (or Junkas) as it seemed to me that was what the majority thought I should build.  The other main reason of course being time, which when I first posted this was abundant, then it got tight all of a sudden (life seems to like to do that, or is it just me?).

In the event that I can't figure out how to add more GW bitz to the Junkas by the 11th (I'm always open to suggestions), I'll start building 2 units of 5 Megas with a goal completion date of Jan 11.  Either way my next project starts no later than the 11th.

As for Saint Snik, it's something I've always wanted to participate in, but this year yet again I will have to pass as still the only idea I have is the dreidle Dread, but I'm more than just a little burned out on building walkers at the moment, not to mention parts large enough for such a project.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: December 5, 2012, 01:10:03 AM by OD from TV »