News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70399 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Wraithblades
« Reply #480 on: August 23, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
Ranger=urban camo. *wink*

I just love the smoothness of your paint work. As for the stones, I've painted so many thru the years I'm liking the not now, so yours look great as they are. I'm actually thinking for future projects maybe just a highlight from now on.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #481 on: August 24, 2020, 04:06:28 AM »
the white looks super smooth, great work.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Jetbikes/Ranger/Farseer
« Reply #482 on: December 13, 2021, 05:15:11 PM »
Sooooo....what's the standard punishment for popping back onto a forum and performing gross threadomancy? If it's anything other than the immediate cessation of chocolate rations, I'm pretty much screwed. Seriously, if I have to go to prison for this, I won't last long......

How's everyone doing? Sorry I haven't been around recently. Well...that's a small lie, as I've dropped in every couple of months to check out everyone's work. I will comment on individual threads over the next few days, but if I don't post now, I probably never will.

Why the long break? After last year's lockdown burst of activity, I started my new job in September and hit a total brick wall. I must have started half a dozen mini projects and cast every single one aside fairly early in the process. I just haven't had the enthusiasm to sit down and complete a project. Days became weeks became months etc etc.

What changed? I went on a mate's Stag Do (Bachelor Party?) at the start of November and got chatting to a guy that plays Eldar. He showed me his (figures), I showed him mine (still figures...get you mind out of the gutter) and I just figured 'what the heck. Let's pick up a paintbrush again'. It was the first 40k related conversation I'd had in ages (no LGS in my immediate area and, because I don't really play, no real desire to travel to a location) and it just provided that little spark of creativity.

So I'll catch you up on the last year...

I saw some ducklings?

And a wasp...

Bubbles...

And spent a lot of time with this little legend:

Buuuuttttt....enoug h of my actual life. What about my fake, internet persona life? Ah yes...the new models. Well, first up, the last 2 minis of 2020:

So, here's that Ranger that I mentioned way back when...and Dread, I'm not great at camp...but the greys of an urban came scheme seemed to fit so I went with it.

Next up, a Farseer from the same period.

With me moving up full time to be at my new job location, I was able to pick some things up from storage. I have a lot of unopened kits in storage! So first off the shelf were 2 boxes of Jetbikes, to add to the 3 I did last year:

So there you go. probably enough of a photo-dump for the moment. I've got a couple of ideas for my next projects, but the key for me at the moment is pacing myself and not getting burnt out.

Again, sorry I haven't really been around, and I apologise for not commenting on some of the seriously stunning work that I've seen you guys produce. I'll be trying to change that and reintegrating into the hobby...if you guys will have me back, of course!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #483 on: December 13, 2021, 05:39:19 PM »
Well look whose returned - without tribute to buy 40k online more mini. Yes - repentance by mass brush work will suffice in this case  8).

In all seriousness, welcome back, Stormbane! I for one have missed you since you left and I know others probably have too. So I'm really happy you decided to jump back in here after a long haitus. I wouldn't guilt yourself about the haitus, it happens to everyone and I've done similar in other aspects of my life - including the hobbying. Everyone needs one of those reassessments from time to time.

Also glad you got to spend time with your kid - and am happy to see both of you seem to be doing well  :D!

I love the ranger and farseer, but those windriders! Now those are my favorite from this bunch, so sleek and classy!

Really glad you're back, we'll let you back into the community, no further charges and penalties aside from brush work required  ;D.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #484 on: December 13, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »
Just simply beautiful. As said before subtle and so sweet. Makes me want to redo my scheme.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #485 on: December 13, 2021, 09:52:33 PM »
Glad to see you back with the paintbrush. As others have remarked, your shading and paint scheme is wonderfully subtle. I love the Farseer, in particular. This really shows that less can be more. The golden and red accent really pops too.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #486 on: December 16, 2021, 05:01:27 AM »
those wind riders look fantastic and the como on the range is awesome, well done.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #487 on: December 27, 2021, 09:52:40 PM »
Thank you for all your kind words. Nice to have a warm welcome after my time out in the cold!

Bad news/Good news...I've been working on some more minis, but was due to take my son to visit my Dad for a few days...and got a positive COVID test result late last night, so that won't be happening now.

...I guess I'll have more time to paint with the enforced isolation though!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Blood Bowl Undead
« Reply #488 on: December 31, 2021, 04:05:33 AM »
So, update time.

I'm trying to complete all the boxed projects I've had lying around for the past few weeks/months/years/decades. As such, I dug out a Fire Prism that I had on sprue, plus a Falcon that I had 70% painted in the old Alaitoc colours. Those have had to be put on hold because it turns out that over a year away from the hobby leads to your paints turning into not paints. Or at least, many of them aren't useable through an airbrush. A lot are not useable at all, even with a healthy dose of Lahmian Medium plus a ball bearing for titivation.

I managed to build and base coat the Prism, whilst reapplying a base coast to the Falcon. Those will have to wait for another day, though.

I did manage to complete a project that I started briefly last year. It's one of my Blood Bowl Teams. These guys are based on the colours for the Cincinnati Bengals. I give you the Undercity Fen Ghouls!

It was a fun little project tbh. I didn't lavish a lot of attention on the minis, as it's not a team I'm interested in playing at any point; nor is it a colour scheme that I was enthused to try...orange is a difficult colour, so required a true base coat of Jokaero Orange, followed by 2 layers of Troll Slayer. Troll Slayer Orange quickly became one of my least favourite colours to work with. The coverage is terrible and it's like trying to mix oil and water at times.

So, having finished those fairly quickly and Covid giving me a little extra unwanted time at home (I was supposed to be taking my Son to visit his Grandpa this week, for 4 days. I'm a fair bit disappointed that I haven't been able to do that, so needed something to stave off depression), I decided to dive straight into another project...one that I would be able to clear quickly to free up the hobby shelf for the Aeldari goodness as soon as I can restock the painting cupboards.

I'm working on the Necrons from the Indomitus box. Really lovely kits. Fairly easy to construct and packed with enough detail that painting should be a joy, while not being arduous. I'm making decent progress, so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for stopping by.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 04:09:26 AM by Stormbane »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Blood Bowl - Undead
« Reply #489 on: December 31, 2021, 08:42:39 AM »
Sorry to hear about your visit being cut, it sucks, especially in the long run.

Good job on the Ghouls. I love the goofy, tongue-in-cheek take on WH universe in Blood Bowl.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #490 on: January 3, 2022, 10:42:22 PM »
So happy you're back Looshkin! Your posts have always been such an inspiration for me. Those Bloodbowl minis tell such a great story. I have to agree that orange paint is typically the one of the most difficult shades to use, except when you're using Ryza Rust, but that doesn't count being a technical paint.  ;)

That sucks about the paint. I've had to toss so many of mine over the years. The pots that they've come out with over the last 2 decades are just garbage, forcing everyone to buy new paints every year or so. I'm sure its a great business model for GW, but I long for the old hexagonal paint pots from days of old. I still have about a dozen that are over 20 years old that are still in keeping my paints in mint condition.

Looking forward to seeing more paint jobs, but also love that you're sharing other aspects of your life, even though its not always on a positive note.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #491 on: January 4, 2022, 12:06:06 AM »
Nice Team Halloween!

I'm about to get started on the Doom Lords chaos team myself this weekend!

Keep it up!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #492 on: January 8, 2022, 11:10:43 PM »
wow really nice work here, love the smiling token :)

Is that a black metal on the necron?

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Necrons (Reducing the Pile of Shame)
« Reply #493 on: January 18, 2022, 06:42:48 PM »
First off, thank you for the interest that you've shown in my return to the hobby! It really means a lot and keeps me motivated and invested.

So yeah, not having a few days with my son really sucked hard. That said, I used the time stuck in my room to build and paint a lot of stuff, some of which I'll reveal below.

So happy you're back Looshkin! Your posts have always been such an inspiration for me. Those Bloodbowl minis tell such a great story. I have to agree that orange paint is typically the one of the most difficult shades to use, except when you're using Ryza Rust, but that doesn't count being a technical paint.  ;)

Looking forward to seeing more paint jobs, but also love that you're sharing other aspects of your life, even though its not always on a positive note.

Thank you DoW; I do wonder if anyone reads me blithering on about nonsense, but I'll keep going as long as I don't annoy anyone too much!

Nice Team Halloween!

I'm about to get started on the Doom Lords chaos team myself this weekend!

I for one am defo looking forward to seeing your take on Blood Bowl. Let us know how you get on.

Is that a black metal on the necron?

Nope. Blue. I used the old Forgeworld Air paint (Grey Knight Steel or something), followed by a silver dry brush, followed by a thin blue wash to accentuate the colour.

Speaking of which...these guys definitely went a bit off-piste for me. I wanted to do a blue and orange colour scheme that was easy and repeatable. I monstered through these, with the longest step working up the orange with the airbrush...fortunat ely I had a lot in the Netflix backlog, including the Irishman, which is ball-achingly long and slow and tbh, quite dull (and I normally Scorsese films)....so I went head down and did all of the orange in 1 go.

I never want to do that much orange again in 1 sitting in my life. Horrible.

So, for a start, I know that I've missed a wash on the blade arm...I did the blade last, which was a mistake; however, at the time, I didn't know what colour I would do blades. As it turned out, the brass areas plus orange took the colour palette to a place that was waaaayyyyy too warm, so the blue blades were a necessity. That followed with the blue tinged base to cool the model further.

This little guy taught me the benefits of using the airbrush to the light-emitting areas, as you can be deliberately sloppy, resulting in a soft OSL effect.

Scarabs are quite fun to paint.

If I were painting these guys to actually use, rather than just reducing my pile of shame, I would work more on the blades, but I'm happy with the basic effect I've achieved on these. Good minis too.

A bit more soft OSL. I liked how using the airbrush brought this model to life a bit.

The whole gang. At some stage I will go back and paint all the cables and bits and pieces, but not today. They're fine, and that's all I was going for. Fine.

So that's it. That's the update.

I would have had more, but at the eleventh hour I messed up glueing on canopies to a Falcon and a Fire Prism, so I need to buy replacements...whic h seem to be very thin on the ground! Otherwise they are 95% complete. I also have a War Walker which is 85% complete, so updates at the weekend, hopefully!

Thanks for popping by!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #494 on: January 18, 2022, 10:29:03 PM »
Damn, that's just straight up a real solid army. Really cool light effects. I like the use of color theory here! And honestly the blue plants just add a certain alienness that go well with these.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #495 on: January 19, 2022, 04:58:04 AM »
they looks great, I really like the basing, the blue tuff really gives an alien vibe and the orange glow instead of the green is a cool difference :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #496 on: January 19, 2022, 11:07:30 AM »
I agree with Sir_Godspeed and Mage, your necron army looks so thematic and cohesive, the great brushwork just brings it all together  :) - loving it!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #497 on: January 20, 2022, 09:00:31 AM »
That blue and orange colour palette is an out of the park home run. Would love to see either some terrain pieces or an army display board tying it all together. That's White Dwarf material for sure.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #498 on: January 23, 2022, 02:18:45 PM »
Damn, that's just straight up a real solid army. Really cool light effects. I like the use of color theory here! And honestly the blue plants just add a certain alienness that go well with these.

they looks great, I really like the basing, the blue tuff really gives an alien vibe and the orange glow instead of the green is a cool difference :)

I agree with Sir_Godspeed and Mage, your necron army looks so thematic and cohesive, the great brushwork just brings it all together  :) - loving it!

Thanks guys! The blue plants were a game changer tbh. Before I added them, the overwhelmingly dominant colour was definitely the orange (the bronze just emphasised it more) and left the impression of an incredibly warm palette. Adding the blue plants brings out the blue of the base metal and cools the palette considerably. I'm glad you approve!

That blue and orange colour palette is an out of the park home run. Would love to see either some terrain pieces or an army display board tying it all together. That's White Dwarf material for sure.

As and when I unearth more Necron minis from my pile of shame, I'll definitely consider it; although it'll be behind my Craftworld Eldar and Marines in order of priority. It is only a fun little way to kickstart the year after all! Not sure about White Dwark...although I think if I manage to put together a couple more Blood Bowl Teams, I may have to write in? How many people can there be out there trying to put together a full NFL satire league??!!!

So onto other progress. Well, I had a War Walker that had the base colours down from way back, so I started there:

So now I have 2 in my new colours. Not sure if I prefer them with transfers or without. Happy to hear your thoughts on it!

At the same time, I uncovered a Falcon that was built and sprayed with highlights etc. I thought it'd be a quick win; I was very wrong. I had to completely redo the colours, so all I benefitted from was the fact it was made...although I'm missing the weapon guard armour for the Brighlance and also an underslung cannon. So I'll have to dig through my bits crates for that (Yeah, crate...I don't throw anything and I'm kinda regretting it!!

I also found a Fire Prism in a start collecting box. So I did that in tandem with the Falcon:

So I now have 3 vehicles in the army. Not a bad start. I've also just found another Wave Serpent, so that'll be on the table soon.

At the moment I'm taking a brief break from painting; it's a massive build-a-thon at the moment! I'm just trying to thin out all the spurs that I have lying around, and if I can batch paint 10-20 models at a time, it could lead to fairly rapid results.

As always, thank you for popping by and I appreciate you taking your time to not only read, but also offer great feedback. Cheers!!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #499 on: January 23, 2022, 03:18:17 PM »
AAah! That red crystal looks dope!