News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne's Eldar blog  (Read 16382 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne's Eldar blog
« Reply #20 on: December 4, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »
That face is amazing! The hood looks great as well.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #21 on: December 5, 2017, 05:59:17 AM »
Yep. That face looks damn near photo-realistic.

Agreed that it's rare (and brilliant!) to have a face that looks that grizzled, realistic and characterful. Especially on an eldar who tend to be pretty polished :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #22 on: December 8, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »
@ALL
Many thanks for your kind words people!  :) Your support is invaluable.

Had a couple more painting sessions. First, let me show a couple of pics to further illustrate the techniques I use.
So, when you cover such detail as a gem with liquid mask, it's inevitable that some of the mask will flow onto the surrounding surface. As a result, when you remove the mask, some of the primer will be showing around the gem:

This is not a problem here because white primer can be easily overpainted with an appropriate shade of red. In the end, no one who doesn't know what to look for would ever notice anything.

Still, this is something to keep in mind if you wish to try this kind of technique out.

Generally, airbrushing works ideal when you can work on a single separate part that has to be mostly one colour. Because of this, painting in sub-assemblies is essential if you want to get the most out of an airbrush. However, sometimes a model is one-piece, and sometimes keeping it in subassemblies is just not practical. In this case, if you still want to airbrush different areas of the model with different colours, liquid mask is what makes it possible. However, you should always keep in mind that
1) applying mask takes time
2) removing it also takes time
3) mask will inevitably leave a line of slightly jagged paint along its border, and you'll need to tidy it up.

As a result, if it's something relatively small, it's usually still quicker to just paint it by hand. The technique that I use with those gems on bikes is a kind of an exception to that - it works for me because I can airbrush any number of those gems in like 5-10 minutes, while hand-blending colours on them would take me hours (due to their large size). Hence despite the extra fuss with the mask, it's still worth it.

With the details on the bike mostly done, I completed all small details on the rider:

Now it was time for the most tedious but also probably the most rewarding stage: black-lining and extreme highlights on the red armour.

First I outlined all armour plates and other details using a thin mix of dark red ink with black and violet airbrush paints. GW recommends doing it with a "recess wash", but using washes at this stage, even if you use them in a controlled manner, is still messy, and besides the end result dramatically lacks contrast. So I use what effectively looks like black-red paint, thinned down and mixed with some acrylic retarder for maximum control, and just paint in thin dark lines into all the recesses.

This picture is not of the best quality, but because of that it showcases the resulting effect really well. When you look at the picture, you don't really see much of those dark lines, but you simply notice that all armour details stand out much more clearly against each other than they did on the previous pictures. I heard some painters calling this "a comic-book style", implying that it looks cartoonish and unrealistic, but I actually find it rather natural and believable.

As a (semi-)side note, there was once an interview with Jes Goodwin (I think it was dedicated to the release of the new Dark Eldar model range somewhere in 2009-2010). In that interview Jes, absolute genious as he is, said one thing that I remember to this day. Can't recreate the exact words, but the idea was that in order to look good, a model doesn't have to be realistic, but it has to be believable and easily recognisable for what it is. At that moment I realised that this is indeed the principle that governs everything in modelling and painting: things, first and foremost, have to look believable and recognisable. Considering this style of painting Eldar armour, it certainly doesn't look "realistic" in the exact sense of the meaning - but, with all plates clearly defined and standing out, it does confer a very clear feeling of some kind of a protective suite built of rigid plates, and therefore looks like it means business. Or at least that's how I see it, lol

So, black-lining was followed by the first extreme highlight (Wild Rider Red):

... and the second highlight (Fire Dragon Bright).

Even on this washed-out picture you can see that the armour plates now have some definition :)

What's left with the rider is one more highlight stage on red and highlight on hair. Then the same highlights on red parts of bike, base, and it's done :)

To be continued :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #23 on: December 8, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
Absolutely sick! Love the black edging... its something I do only on my special models, but something I really need to look at implementing a bit more often. Just brilliant work... about your edge highlighting... your jump straight from Mephiston to Wild Rider looks great! I usually use Evil Sunz Scarlett in between... but it doesnt look necessary at all on this model and I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't look like the stark difference I'd usually expect ... Did you use a brighter shade of red than Mephiston or is it just unnecessary? Maybe Mephiston across an entire model just looks different than using it as a highlight on a Khorne base like I implement.

Anyway just brilliant, brilliant stuff. Loving this project to death. Great stuff SeekingOne, thanks!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #24 on: December 8, 2017, 06:29:04 PM »
Niiiiice!
Thank you so much for the tutelage, mate. Used to use liquid masking when airbrushing back in my signwriting days. Using it on such a small scale must be very interesting... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #25 on: December 8, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
Gorgeous paint job. Thank you so much for the step-by-step instructions. I love seeing the WIP photos with details of how you achieved those results. I certainly helps me see avenues I've never thought of exploring before. Keep 'em coming!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
Re: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne\'s Eldar blog
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
@All

Thank you for your kind words guys, very-very much appreciated!

@Cavalier
but it doesnt look necessary at all on this model and I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't look like the stark difference I'd usually expect ... Did you use a brighter shade of red than Mephiston or is it just unnecessary? Maybe Mephiston across an entire model just looks different than using it as a highlight on a Khorne base like I implement.

Thing is, I don't use Mephiston or any GW reds (except the highliht oranges). The magic paint that works as the key ingredient for my red is this:

It's an airbrush-specific paint, but it's really-really good - bright, clean, yet at the same time it's still red enough to look red rather than red-orange.
Here, I made a reference to show the difference between colours:

The colours in this picture look not 100% like in real life, but the difference is visible enough.
As you can see from the labels, in the top row there are GW colours - Khorne red, Mephiston red, Evil Sunz scarlet. For comparison, the bottom row is the colours that I use. Shade is a mix of Vallejo Game Air Scarlet Red and Hexed Lichen (2:1), basically a very dark red-violet. Mid-tone is a mix of Vallejo Model Air Red RLM23 and Schminke Brilliant Red (2:1). Highlight is pure Schminke Brilliant Red.
My shade colour looks very dark - but airbrush enables me to apply it in very thin transparent layers, making shades as soft or as dark as I need. Mid-tone, as you can (hopefully :)) see in the picture, is a tad lighter than Mephiston, and highlight is every bit as bright as Evil Sunz. As you might remember from my earlier post, I do the highlights by covering the highlighted areas with white first, and then glazing over it with my highlight colour. This keeps highlights very bright. Figuring out this combination of paints and the 'technology' of their application took me three months of experimenting at some point  ;D

Let me use the jetbike wing as an example:

The shade along the centre line of the wing is effectively darker than Khorne red, yet highlights along the outer edges of the wing are as bright as Evil Sunz - thus, Wild Rider red goes very naturally and smoothly as the next highlight step. Note that despite fairly stark contrast, the colour transition is quite smooth - that's the wonder of airbrushing!

Anyway, hope this answers your question! :)

Post Merge: December 17, 2017, 03:19:10 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Time for update!

The final highlight on the red armour is made with a 1:2 mix of Fire Dragon Bright with light bone colour like Screaming Skull. Really love this step, as it really makes the red shine :)

Here's the completed body of the jetbike, with all highlights in place.

And, finally - here he is, the High Autarch of Saim-Hann, bearer of the Novalance, known in mon-keigh tongues as "The White Snake".

Don't ask me why he's known as "The White Snake" - this name just came to me when I was thinking of his personal heraldry to display in one of the flags. I like the sound of it though, as well as the subtle connotations of age, cunning and the merciless killing bite, as well as the parallel with the world serpent symbol of Saim-Hann.

The model was complete on Wednesday, and he already led the forces of Saim-Hann to two crushing victories on Saturday. Here's a group shot that I made at the club :)

On to the Shining Spears!

To be continued :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:19:10 PM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »
great work and seeing a painted themed army on the table is just so sweet!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »
OH-MY-GIDDY-AUNT!
You've done an amazing job on that piece, SO.Thank you for taking the time on the colour chart as well... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »
WOW! Just an incredible job SeekingOne. I dig the name too! Thanks for the tutorial, it looks like a good amount of work but it came out great. Man the rune covering the jetbike is just phenomenal. The weathering/shading on it is just sick. Also what an awesome group shot. Fantastic stuff Seekingone, some of the best I've seen on the forum. Keep rocking bud this stuff is amazing!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »
SeekingOne, your Autarch has come out ridiculously well. Everything is blended so smoothly and the brush work matches or exceeds the airbrushing. Your eye for detail really is impressive.

Thank you too, for the level of detail you put into your posts. They must take an age to put together, but really help the community learn a lot about how you paint to such an unbelievable standard.

Amazing work. Thank you for sharing!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 04:21:10 AM »
Damn that's an incredible autarch :)

Also, how about this for his name. When on attack runs, his artifact jetbike emits a blinding trail of light behind it at full speed. To onlookers from a distance, the afterglow of this appears as if a colossal shining serpent has materialised snaking across the battlefield, with its head an even brighter flare from his deadly nova lance.

Hence, the White Snake :)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 09:50:09 AM »
I'm totally picturing a Tron bike when you said that Ynneadwrath. That would be some awesome imagery on the battlefield.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
@All

Thanks for your kind words guys! Glad that you like the model  :D

I wish I could post some updates, but I found myself kind of stuck between severe lack of free
time and inability to figure out a good colour scheme for Shining Spears, and my work is sort of grinding in place not moving anywhere.

BTW, Id be grateful for any examples of some cool-looking Shining Spear colour schemes, preferably in blues. The problem is that their base scheme is kind of bleak and unimpressive; I'm trying to come up with some more good-looking variation but with little success so far.

Also, how about this for his name. When on attack runs, his artifact jetbike emits a blinding trail of light behind it at full speed. To onlookers from a distance, the afterglow of this appears as if a colossal shining serpent has materialised snaking across the battlefield, with its head an even brighter flare from his deadly nova lance.

Hence, the White Snake :)
Ynnead, I told you you should write for Black Library, didn't I? ;) This is an absolutely awesome image, and I'll definitely incorporate it into my army's background if you don't mind. Picturing this in my mind's eye is quite literally breathtaking!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
BTW, Id be grateful for any examples of some cool-looking Shining Spear colour schemes, preferably in blues. The problem is that their base scheme is kind of bleak and unimpressive; I'm trying to come up with some more good-looking variation but with little success so far.

Why not keep the black and red going? Then just give their lances and helms a different colour so they stand out a bit more. A full themed army looks awesome :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
Haha thanks man :) glad you like it!

I'm also a big fan of craftworld-coloured Aspects, albeit with variations like shadier Scorpions/Reapers or ethereal Hawks/Banshees.

Not for everyone I know. The whole 'army of many colours' is pretty iconic for eldar for a lot of people :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 07:07:37 AM »

I actually think that just reversing your Saim Hann theme might work wonders. A white base with red detailing. It'll pop on the tabletop and be very cohesive visually with what you have already painted.

Looking forward to seeing which direction you go and seeing the fantastic results you will undoubtedly achieve!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #37 on: March 1, 2018, 05:34:12 AM »
Finally, I'm back with another update :)

Chapter 2: Shining Spears

So, as I mentioned above, the Shining Spears project turned out to be a tough one.

But wait - first, let me start with a note on the colour schemes in 8th edition. This would also be a reply to latest comments by Magenb, Looshkin and Ynnead.
As we all know, background-wise our Aspect warriors are traditionally entitled to their own colour schemes, which can be different from the base colours of their craftworld. However, as you guys rightly mentioned, it is also not unknown for the Aspects to wear the Craftworld's colours. As for me, I was always gravitating towards each Aspect wearing its own colour scheme: for me, the classic colour of each aspect - bone of the Banshee, green of the Scorpion, black of the Reaper - always felt like an essential part of that aspects visual style. Besides, being able to combine different colour schemes within one army provides a much welcome diversity in painting - painting endless bright reds can be tiring! :)
Also, quite unexpectedly, the 8th edition has brought yet another incentive to keep each aspect to its own colour scheme. Most of the new codices feature many different special rules, stratagems, etc. tied to specific factions or sub-factions. As a result of this, as I mentioned before in other threads, it has become a bit of a tendency lately that TOs of many high-quality events started to treat the faction-related colour schemes as part of WYSIWYG requirements. E.g., if your Space Marines are painted as Black Templars or Salamanders, you'll have to use them as such and would not be allowed to use them as "counts-as Ultramarines". Same with Eldar, an army painted in distinct red and black of Saim-Hann would not be allowed to be used as Alaitoc. Furthermore, even if your force is painted in some non-standard colour scheme of your own design, and per basic rules you can use them with any sub-faction rules, you won't be allowed to have two different detachments following 2 different sub-faction rules, because in order to do that units in those detachments would have to be painted differently.
With this situation in mind, its easy to see that traditional Aspect colour schemes are just the thing that can be used to bypass those restrictions (to an extent). Basically, a unit of Aspect warriors painted in their traditional colours can be used in any Craftworld's detachment without formal violation of WYSIWYG rules. For me, this was the key consideration that settled the matter: my Aspects would be wearing their traditional colours, and my Shining Spears had to be blue.

1. Converting
But even before I got to the colour scheme, I ran into the problem of sculpt.
I won't even mention that the failcast had more bubbles in it that normal resin - that's kind of normal, sadly. However, when I was half-way through assembling the riders, I was shocked to realise that the legs of the riders were absolutely out of scale! While the resin Shining Spear torsos and heads are about the right size, legs are so short and thin they look almost child-like compared to legs of any other Eldar model. Perfectionist as I am, I just had to find some way to fix this issue.

I quickly remembered that the legs of my old converted Windriders (I posted the pics of them in my earlier posts in this thread) didn't look that disproportional. When I pulled them out, I realised that the resin shining spear legs are clearly shorter and smaller even than the plastic legs of the old jetbikers. So I decided to replace the resin legs with the plastic ones - thankfully, I still have dozens of them lying around. However, when I took a pair of plastic jetbiker legs and filed off poach and pistol holster, I realised that they look kind of thin and not particularly well-armoured compared to the massive armour plates featured on a shining spear torso. At this point it became clear that in order to make the legs visually match the torsos I'll have to sculpt some extra armour onto them.

Here's a picture that would hopefully illustrate what I'm talking about:

The model on the right is a pair of plastic jetbiker legs with a foot guardian torso attached to them (used it later on as a test model for colours). The model on the left is a resin Shining Spear torso attached to an identical pair of plastic legs but with extra armour sculpted onto them with Milliput.
As you can see, the thicker and bigger armour plates make the legs look better armoured. I also had to bulk out the inner side of the left thigh a bit - after pistol holster and its straps were filed off, they revealed that the "bare" left thigh is visibly thinner than the right one.
You can also just about make out that I added an extra piece of plastic at the waist to make the torso sit higher above the legs, so that the whole figure appears taller. I made those "waist extenders" from the bottom parts of old jetbiker torsos (the ones with Ku Klux Klan-style helmets) - they have buttons and straps in front, which makes them look like a kind of broad belts.

Here's a close-up of the converted Exarch.

The Shining Spears' armour is sculpted in such way that they have their right sides much more heavily armoured than the left sides. This actually looks quite cool, and confers a clear idea that their suits are optimised for the situation when they attack with their lances with their right side facing the enemy. I tried to match the style of leg armour to the original shining spear legs, and made the plates on the right leg heavier and more enclosed to match the torso armour. I'm actually quite happy with the way how curved lower-leg plate on the right leg turned out.

Note that even though knee-pads are grey plastic, they are actually also converted :) I cut off the original narrow oval knee-pads and replaced them with bigger and more massive-looking knee-pads from the foot Guardian legs (I do have some spare infantry legs left from those torsos that I used to convert my Windriders). Did I mention that I'm a crazy perfectionist?  ;D

I did come up with a cheeky way to reduce the amount of sculpting though: in my squadron of 6 Spears two riders are distinctly female, and those two females I assembled with the original small resin legs. I thought it appropriate for the two girls to have somewhat smaller and more slender stature - and I can't think of a more awesome image than that of a slender Eldar girl tearing right through massive Space Marines and IG battle tanks  ;)

Here's a little illustration of my approach to painting in sub-assemblies:

As you can see, I glued torsos and legs together but kept both arms separate - this was essential to provide easy access to every part of a model with an airbrush. Each part was mounted on a separate piece of wine cork. Corks are numbered on the under-side - so that I can keep track of which pair of arms corresponds to which body.

Here's what the final results of assembly and conversion work looked like:

Looking at the two bodies closest to the camera, you can kind of see the difference in size and length between converted legs and the standard resin ones.

2. Painting
Next came the stage that is always the hardest for me: designing a colour scheme.

"Standard" GW colour scheme for Spears is mostly white - but white just doesn't work for me as a main colour, so I wanted my Spears to be mostly blue with just a little white. Figuring out colours for a jetbike was actually quite easy - but when I got to riders, I found myself stuck.

I didn't want the armour of the riders to be solid blue - it would've made them look too much like Dire Avengers. The most natural approach seemed to be to paint armour plates and under-suit two different colours. I started with trying white plates on blue under-suit, but it looked wrong. Then I tried blue armour plates on white under-suit - but that looked just horrible, giving an impression of armour plates being grafted straight to a rider's underwear  :D Blue plates themselves looked good though, so I proceeded trying all thinkable variants on under-suit colour, but nothing seemed right.

It was only thanks to the advice of my lovely wife (being a bit of an artist herself, she's my muse, arts advisor and a critique all in one :)) I stumbled upon a quite unconventional solution that actually worked: I painted the rider's under-suit bluish-silver metallic.
It's unusual for the armour of Craftworld Eldar to look metal, but in this case it felt 100% appropriate. The silver worked great with blue, and it also gave the riders the feeling of being massively armoured - which was just the effect I was looking for.

I started with painting the Exarch as a test model. It's a useful trick when painting Aspects: Exarchs can have their armour looking differently from the rest of the squad, so I knew that if I complete him and decide to make some minor changes to the colour scheme, I would be able to leave him as-is and just paint the rest of the squad slightly differently.

Unfortunately, this time I don't have any step-by-step pics, so I'll have to jump straight to the end results. Here's how the Exarch turned out:

The model could benefit from some kind of decoration in the form of runic script on the armour. Alas, I'm not into free-handing, so in the end I just broke up the monotony on some of the big flat blue surfaces with some scratches and slashes, both on the bike and the rider. The only thing that is slightly off about this model is that bright white decorations on the bike's prow tend to distract all the attention from the rider - so I decided that the regular riders would look better with white helmets.

To make long story short, here's what my 'production line' looked like when the work on 5 regular Spears was already nearing completion:

And, finally, this is the complete result.

Casting false modesty aside, I think they look awesome  8)

This project was crazy long. Effectively, I started working on these guys around 20th of December, and finished them just last week, on 20th of February, making it two full months. However, there was a week of New Year holidays when I barely did anything, so the effective timing was about 8 weeks. It took me almost precisely 4 weeks to get from unpacking the first box to the completed Exarch, and then 4 weeks more to paint the remaining 5 regular Spears. I really need to find some way to speed things up...  :D

I already took them to a local 2250 pts tournament this weekend (the one I wrote about in another thread on the Eldar board), where they did just great. Here's one nice shot of them at the peak of action, doing just the thing they're made for:

And also, just for your viewing pleasure, here's a bird's eye view of my whole 2250 force that I used in the tournament.

Please excuse me for so much text and so few pictures.
The post is already too long, so I'll wrap it up with a little sneak-peek of my next project...

;D
And also - if you're interested in any details about the colour scheme, painting process, paints, materials and tools I used, etc. - please, by all means feel free to ask, I'll be happy to respond!

To be continued... :)
« Last Edit: March 1, 2018, 09:00:28 AM by SeekingOne »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #38 on: March 1, 2018, 06:40:37 AM »
OH-MY-GIDDY-AUNT!!
You really go the whole hog when it comes to detailing, don't you, SeekingOne? All paid off though. The spears look amazing. And the graduation photo of the whole army together?... Niiiiice! Love the swooping hawk view.

There is only one downside to the spears that has nothing to do with you, mate. Those, not so streamlined, wings on the exarch's helmet. The speeds these guys reach, surely he ends the battle with a broken neck? Or at least has trouble keeping his bike's nose down.

Thanks for sharing, SeekingOne and don'e worry about the lack of step-by-step on the spear exarch. Am I wrong in thinking it was the same technique as your Windrider only blue? 

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #39 on: March 1, 2018, 07:02:41 AM »
@Saim-Dann
Thanks mate, much appreciated  :D

You really go the whole hog when it comes to detailing, don't you, SeekingOne? All paid off though. The spears look amazing.
Yeah, that's what I do :) Sometimes I hate it that my progress is so slow, but in the end I always feel that I rather spend more time and get the models that I can be really proud of, because it makes me feel that the time investment was justified.

There is only one downside to the spears that has nothing to do with you, mate. Those, not so streamlined, wings on the exarch's helmet. The speeds these guys reach, surely he ends the battle with a broken neck? Or at least has trouble keeping his bike's nose down.
My thoughts exactly  ;D ;D ;D
It was just that after spending so much time converting the legs of these guys I didn't feel myself up to the challenge of converting the Exarch's helmet. If I get to paint the second squad of these guys though I'll definitely come up with something!

Am I wrong in thinking it was the same technique as your Windrider only blue?
You're quite correct. In fact, with blue it was simpler - no "pre-highlights" followed by a glaze, just straight airbrushed highlights from dark blue all the way up to a pale sky blue. After airbrushing the final highlights I did a very thin overall glaze of intermediate blue just to knock the highlights down a bit, then followed by some pale blue edge highlights, and finally added some points of light to the very sharpest corners with wolf grey.