News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Knuckles on Necrodermis campaign - campaign concluded, results pending  (Read 15106 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Re: Knuckles on Necrodermis campaign - campaign concluded, results pending
« Reply #100 on: November 5, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
Unfortunately I entered the scrum way too late. I did try to get involved but I think NecronCell was unavailable or I simply was trying to get involved too late.

That being said, I guess I can answer the poll from the point of view of participant/observer. (And I'd like to add a little scarab's worth of info at the end.)

If you were a participant:
1: Was it easy to participate in all the events?
I did like the over lap of phases. It made it easier for me to have a weekend game, then make a decent batrep with pictures on Monday and still have it count for the corresponding round!

3: Were the rules and scoring understandible?
It is an involved process. I like the complexity of it to reward different areas of the game (not just bashing your opponent.) That was important and promotes honesty. (I'd like to think I'd get a reward for a game, even if I lost.)

4: Did you have fun/would you join in again if a similar event were run?
This was so fun to follow. I only wish I had pulled my Prototype Cell ZA113 out of the closet sooner!

5: Did you visit any boards you might not normally go to as a result of this campaign?
I sheepishly admit I normally never go to the campaign section. This had me there on a daily basis.

If you were an observer, rather than a participant:
1: Did this event amuse you/provide you with items of interest in your regular forum viewing?
Again, the reports and banter of both sides made me want to participate. Necrons especially. I mean where else on the entire internet am I going to find motivation to put together some Warriors?

2: Would you join in this event if one of the available factions drew from your codex?
I believe I did. So yes!

I'd just like to add that I thank everyone who co-ordinated this from both sides. I think it's very easy to underestimate the time involved. Unfortantely I did not play in the final week because I didn't hear back from NecronCell, and then I wasn't sure if Gutstikk's announcement ending the campaign early was true or not, so I thought I would hold off. I blame NO ONE but myself for not getting in on this earlier.

I'd also like to thank not only the Necron/Ork organizers but I'd like to add the bigger participants on BOTH sides. You guys take the story line and run. If it weren't for your participation, and batreps, and posts, it would make the whole thing a lot.... dryer. The bigger participants derserve a pat on the back for advancing the story, and keeping it interesting on a 'social' level at 40K Online.

I really hope something like this pops up again because I haven't felt motivated to get my Necrons going in a while (Although I've wanted to.) Like some of you, I found myself exploring new units, and cranking my hobby participation back up on my army. ( I know some of you Ork players did the same.) I'd consider that a very successful campaign. Congrats guys!

« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 10:51:46 AM by prot »

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #101 on: November 5, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
Yeah, let me mention here, that OD from TV did a lot of work with actually writing the missions, working out background, and discussing the format of the thing, even including scoring and notoriety. Moc065 and NecronCell2131 also helped a lot with this. With four of us involved in generating the thing the work seemed a lot more feasible, though sadly I ended up with two weeks of straight overtime and lots of after-work responsibilities, which made it hard for me to stay on top of the scoring.

I also failed to make it clear that notoriety scoring permitted multiple matches in a week, but the risk of losing a match and reducing the sector's CP score was there to balance that. So in theory [and this applied to skeetergod and moc if you notice] you could have in Round 1, two NP from victories and 2 NP from batreps, as well as 2 NP from bonuses [the weekly special match and the "it's them!" special match which coul dbe fought once each week for credit]. There was no cutoff value there, so you'll notice Killersquid in Round 1 grabbed 6 NP from wins and batreps. This is considerably more than the 5 for any of the special events, which you could only earn once [but had total control over], and also incentivized people to batrep games where they lost [as the batrep was still worth an NP].

Also, only one team made use of the sector swap option [orks in week 4], which, while it did have a steep cost [1 CP], it enabled them to go from 0pts in a sector to 3 pts in that sector [a net gain of 2 CP] - this is exactly what the sector swap was intended for, so good work. Players could get matches in multiple sectors in a single week, so this could theoretically allow a faction with only one active player for a week to score as many as 6 CP, keeping them from falling too far behind.

I think I need a whole post dedicated to these kind of faction strategies though, because it was a bit unclear as to what was permitted and what wasn't. On the whole though it seems like most people understood how the campaign scoring system worked, and the goal of giving points based on participation but also valuing victory seems to have been accomplished.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #102 on: November 6, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »
If you were a participant:
1: Was it easy to participate in all the events?
Yes it was, the only obstacle is that I have trouble right now dedicating time to non-uni related projects, which prevented me from participating in many of the non-gaming events.

2: Was your team leader/coordinator there for you?
Yep.

3: Were the rules and scoring understandible?
Very much so.

4: Did you have fun/would you join in again if a similar event were run?
I really enjoyed the idea of a Campaign, and I really like the way it was run. I would easily join in again if one of my armies was present.

5: Did you visit any boards you might not normally go to as a result of this campaign?
No, Just the necron and battle rep boards, which I normally exist in.

6: What was the best thing about the event for you? The worst thing?
I liked that my games were going to a cause, and all the extra battle reports being generated because of this.

7: Any thought or suggestions on how to improve this format [bearing in mind it's meant for ease of use in a forum environment]?
I thought it went rather well. I feel that it could have been a bit longer, but it was still essentially a month though, which is plenty of time.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria