News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AoS 2 books?  (Read 837 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
AoS 2 books?
« on: July 28, 2021, 07:47:22 PM »
With the lock down my group is looking at giving AoS another go now that is will be stable :) 40k 8th is spread across a heap of books, did the same thing happen to AoS or is it just the rule book and codex that we need to get hold of to get all the rules?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: AoS 2 books?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 10:34:25 PM »
- Core rulebook is optional for 3.0

- Core rules are in general's handbook 2021, core rulebook is more for lore

- So, to play matched play games, you need a general's handbook for the matched play rules and latest version of points.

- Lastly, you'll need your factions battletome.

- Also, some rules can be found in the broken realms series for additional rules. I think the updates also come with the AoS app  :), the warscrolls are free. And AoS 3.0 no longer uses battalions from 2.0 battletomes, they use core battalions, which you can find in the General's handbook.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 12:46:31 AM »
Cheers, we are specifically looking at playing 2 not 3.0. GW's constant power fluctuation is just causing too many problems.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 09:05:07 AM »
I highly recommend playing the current version of the game, it's pretty damn great.

You'll need the Generals Handbook from last year and then battletomes to play AoS2. But, I don't recommend going about that way.

The Core Rulebook is pretty nice for Lore and the Path to Glory narrative system.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
I'll agree with Winter and War on this one.

You guys should give AoS 3 a try, I think you will like it a lot  :).

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 10:03:21 PM »
I'll agree with Winter and War on this one.

You guys should give AoS 3 a try, I think you will like it a lot  :).

Yeah same was said about Aos2 when it was first launched, same with for 40k's 8th and 9th. It's new and exciting, but with GW it means you are playing the beta version of the game, constant updates are needed to fix new content that is obviously broken to start with and in a lot of cases you'll have to wait ages for your army to get their full rule set.

Just because a new edition exist, doesn't mean older ones are no longer fun. If that happens, then it really means the previous edition wasn't fun to start with lol.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 10:02:29 AM »
Definitely not saying 2.0 isn't fun, I was just suggesting maybe giving 3.0 a try. If not, that is perfectly fine, I'm not trying to force your hand toward 3.0.

Just realize there are some flaws in 2.0 that were never fixed until the dawn of 3.0. Some armies are not in a great competitive state, others are super O.P., battletome battalions really make or break some tomes.

Just stuff to be aware of, but yeah, if 2.0 wasn't fun, then I'd have never played it since the soul wars started  :).

Doesn't mean that there aren't some better changes that 3.0 has implemented, even if it is in it's earliest years.