News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Advice Regarding Miniature Cases  (Read 966 times)

Offline agnieszkajadwiga93

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Advice Regarding Miniature Cases
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:23:16 AM »
Hi there :)

I am a new member. My son is a big fan of Warhammer :), so I have just registered here to be updated for him :) He is answering all the verification questions lol.

Btw, soon he has bday, so I wanted to buy him a case for his miniatures. Since I am not really good at "forum things" and I cannot see a topic where I could still ask questions, so hopefully the admins won't mad at me lol :D

I thought about Feldher's shop but I also came across this one https://shop.army-case.com/
 I am from the US, so that would convince me. Do you have any experience? Please help me out!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Advice Regarding Miniature Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
Welcome!

I've used "battle foam" brand cases and found them fine for foam cases with good shapes for my minis. I have a friend who's gotten the A-Case: Victory and he thought it was great for magnetized-base minis but he's found the zipper to not be great to work with.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 06:04:13 PM »
The cases you can get from Games-workshop are also solid.  Their design is flexible and does a great job at holding anything inside.

The case I have this this one (link:  https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Crusade-Figure-Case?_requestid=7279156), and I will often have more than 2000pts of a single army in it.  Alternatively, the extra space can be used to accommodate larger vehicles.  Land Raiders, for instance, will take up an entire quarter of the case, but I can rest assured that it is protected properly.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 07:47:06 PM »
The cases you can get from Games-workshop are also solid.  Their design is flexible and does a great job at holding anything inside.

The case I have this this one (link:  http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Crusade-Figure-Case?_requestid=7279156), and I will often have more than 2000pts of a single army in it.  Alternatively, the extra space can be used to accommodate larger vehicles.  Land Raiders, for instance, will take up an entire quarter of the case, but I can rest assured that it is protected properly.

This is my favourite miniatures case. It fits my 4000pts of space wolves, a other fits my spiderfang army, with it's four monster spiders, and another fits my skaventide army. I use the one size down for my harlequins. the foam is really easy to customize, and the size is perfect.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:24:03 PM »

I am a new member. My son is a big fan of Warhammer :), so I have just registered here to be updated for him :) He is answering all the verification questions lol.

Btw, soon he has bday, so I wanted to buy him a case for his miniatures. Since I am not really good at "forum things" and I cannot see a topic where I could still ask questions, so hopefully the admins won't mad at me lol :D

I thought about Feldher's shop but I also came across this one http://shop.army-case.com/
 I am from the US, so that would convince me. Do you have any experience? Please help me out!

Hiya Welcome to the forums :)

There is a lot of information about transporting mini's, so I'll give you the short version.

So generally you have either magnet based bag or a foam based bag, the differences are generally minor, so its not a huge deal either way.

Magnets:
Great option, quick to pull minis out and put them away, but has poor horizontal grip, which can result in mini's bumping, so you want a cutout tray to prevent them from sliding. If you are doing short trips in a car, it should be fine without the cut out. You can just make these out of mdf with the case you've selected.

The other down side, is you have to buy magnets for every model.

I have not used this company, but they have a good example of the cut out tray to pop the bases into to stop them from sliding around https://www.crystal-fortress.com/

Foam:
This can get really expensive really quickly, but they all suffer from similar issues.
Takes longer to get your mini's out and put them back in.
Models can get caught in the foam (usually things like spikes etc) and break, if you're looking at Age of Sigmar ghost models, I would avoid foam.

Overall they still offer a good level of protection, but just a little more difficult to live. There is ether cut foam or pick and pluck foam, the cut form is more expensive but is the better overall option. Pick and pluck is best used for storing models when they are not on display.

Personally, I built my own travel bag using a magenet system and I'm not looking back for most of the range. I still use a form section for larger models as these generally don't have thin bits and are difficult to magnetize on bases.

Warhammer is not just for young people, lots of us grey haired folk playing and building, jump on in and have some game as well :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »

Btw, soon he has bday, so I wanted to buy him a case for his miniatures. Since I am not really good at "forum things" and I cannot see a topic where I could still ask questions

Please help me out!

Hi agnieszkajadwiga93 and welcome to 40konline.

In addition to all the good information above check out this thread on Model Transportation and this thread on How Do You Transport Your Armies for more information.

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline agnieszkajadwiga93

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 02:17:11 PM »
Hi there again!

Thank you so much for all the useful information! :)

I have one more question.

Let's say there is a case with a capacity of 280 minis. Can you say more or less how much it is going to weight when it is fully packed?

I wouldn't want to harm his back when carry it.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 04:32:53 PM »
If you had asked that question ten years ago, the answer could have been significant.  Now, 280 miniatures that are entirely plastic are not going to be heavy enough to cause any damage.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
A primaris Apothocary which is one of the larger infantry models is about .7 ounces, your probably not going to carry 280 of them, but if you did it would still be under 200 ounces.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 06:41:29 AM »
Let's say there is a case with a capacity of 280 minis. Can you say more or less how much it is going to weight when it is fully packed?

The heaviest model I have got is an old Predator model and this weighs 214g. Not that you would, but 280 of these would therefore weigh approximately 59kg (130lb).

A metal Hellion still in its blister weighs 36g, so 280 roughly infantry sized metal models would weigh 10kg (22lb).

A plastic Dreadnaught weighs 27g, so 280 similarly sized models would weigh 7.5kg (16.5lb)

Ten plastic Chainrasps weigh 18g, so 280 similarly sized models would weigh 0.5kg (1lb)

One push fit Sequitor weighs 7g, or approximately 2kg (4.5lb) if you had 280 of them.

So more or less if you stick to plastic, 280 models will weigh roughly the same as four pints of milk.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline miniature

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 05:10:15 AM »
Try cases from A-Case. I think they are great. https://www.miniature-carrying-case.com/