News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Eldar Path of Command  (Read 79237 times)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Re: The Eldar Path of Command
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
All good advice. I think what I'll do is gather some though and post for discussion. Then we can see which way we want this to head.

+++ EDIT +++

Ok so I've been having a think and below are a few points on things we should discuss before any guidelines are hashed out.  I do propose we keep to some sort of continuity in the batreps so that it is easier to analyse one to another.  I see what you're saying -V- about different styles of report but you raise the important underlying question in your bullet points.  What actually is the point of the report.   Personally I look to what has happened in the report and see if I can learn anything therefore a little more analytic approach would be appropriate I feel. Of course there is the entertainment element but I suppose we should gauge what exactly we want to be taking from these reports.

The basics:
Things to be included as an absolute minimum

Points limit / mission / set-up - all self explanatory

Army lists - a brief outline of the armies, individual points values not to be included

The main body of the report,
This is where our current discussion should fall. The way I see things we can move forward in one of 4 ways. The 4 options are;

1) Blow by Blow
Gives
 the most detail and explains the movements and actions of each unit.
Pros - is the most accurate form of report
cons - would take a age to write and will present the reader with a veritable wall of text.

2) Turn by Turn
This option will give an overall account of the most significant events in each turn
Pros - Is more concise than the blow by blow account but still very detailed
Cons - is still a long winded way of reporting and will still included some of the less significant points of the game

3) Free Flowing
This form of account would roll the turns into each other and will read a little move fluidly.
Pros - Insignificant details can be glossed over leaving more room for more significant events to be afforded more detail.
 This style report will be easier to write and read.
Cons - You lose some of the detail. 

4) Narrative
This is a story made around the events of the battle.
Pros - Possibly a more entertaining read
Cons - some details will be lost altogether so much so that the game mechanics may be lost

On pictures:
 I would suggest as a minimum I, as a reader, would want to see a picture of each sides deployment and at least 3 more pictures of significant events.  These being the entry of reserves, significant melees, any significant event detailed in the main text along with the occasional wide angle shot so the time line can be reinforced.

Also going on what Skeetergod mentions, I think it would be a good policy to say that only first hand reports are considered.
I.e. The author should be the Eldar player.

Discuss...[/b]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:19:26 AM by Arquarian »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 06:48:52 AM »
I think that options one to four are all equally valid to be honest.  They could be used as a examples of the ways in which somebody could choose to write up their battle report, as everybody is different, so allowing more styles is likely to encourage more people to submit a report.  The main thing to get across here is that both quality and quantity matter.  Short reports which don't adequately explain what happened during the game won't be good enough to be considered for the PoC.

Regarding pictures, yes deployment areas is certainly a good start.  I'd go a bit further, and recommend (note not insist) that a picture of each turn be included.  Alternatively, in lieu of pictures, battle report maps would be a great alternative, or even addition.  Wyddr makes extensive use of these with his battle reports, and they look really good in my opinion.

I agree that, in order to be eligible for a PoC link and runes, the PoC member must be using his/her Eldar.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
Yeah I'm not for choosing either 1 - 4.  I want all of them.  As a reader I don't want to read the same battle report over and over.  If we restrict this is what happens....

Oh a new batrep, Eldar Vs Space marines... this is what happened... cool
Oh a new batrep... oh ok its Eldar Vs Spacemarines again, oh its the same as the last one
Oh a new batrep.... you guessed it Eldar Vs spacemarines written exactly like the last one .... yawn.

I like variety, I like different styles, I dont like repetition.  I want people to write battle reports in all those different styles.  As forms of entertainment (which is why I read reports) neither is more valid than the last.  Just choose which style will best put accross what you want it to.  If you had a very tactical game and you want to share tactics or show how to use certain units then chose 1 or 2.  If you had an enjoyable game with beer and pretzls but had some great moments in the game maybe option 3 would be good and if you have a flair for story telling then choose option 4. 

As for pictures I like to get end of turn pics (or maps) and pics that are zeroed in on a particular moment in the game that was vital/cool.  I.e a charge or Close combat.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »
OK so really this exercise it really just about setting a certain standard acceptable for the PoC.

Leaving video reports to the side as they're a different animal in my mind I'd say all we need do is bring bring the thoughts of Hive Custodians sticky with some of the more recent comments to the fore.  I see that ArchonCryx was a voice of reason on this also.

If this is the case I'll simply codify these thoughts into a set of guidelines and post for further discussion.

I will say though, I believe we are spoiled by the likes of Wydrr's reports.  Not many of us will have the time and patience to create such reports.  If we're thinking we're going to get an influx of reports like these I think we're going to be disappointed.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
I'd go a bit further and contend that most video battle reports tend to be pretty poor, owing to wobbly camera syndrome, and poor editing, so I think that the guidelines should just focus on written reports.

It's true that we're not going to see a surge in battle reports like Wyddr's, but it can't hurt to encourage people to write decent reports.  Some guidelines combined with runes should both help in that respect ;).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
The very first Eldar POC competition is now open.  Please follow the link and participate if you can in our first Battle Report Competion.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »
Thanks for organising all of this Valar.

This is a really great opportunity to grab a hold of some of those shiny Eldar runes, and, even more importantly, to show other Eldar players your skills on the field of battle.  Good battle reports are always fun to read, so I hope to see lots of entries.

We have our first sixth edition article.  It's one for all of you Iyanden fans, and you can read it here.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
...And if I wasn't imminently moving house...

I've had to pack up ALL my stuff :(

and considering there's a lot need to be done to the new place it's going to be a while until I get a game in :(

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 01:14:58 AM »
OK, well, i've been through a brief hiatus lately, both from the site and from the game, and have recently found the inspiration, if not the time, to get back into things. To such an end, i hope to be a more frequent face around here again, though what i can offer in terms of tactics and battlefield experience will be limited for awhile (renovations have, by necessity, forced me to store most of my collection for awhile).

However, i do have a story to finish, at the very least, and i shall endeavor to get that out of the way by the end of the week.

With some luck, maybe i'll find a place to settle in again.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 03:36:26 AM »
Welcome back  Lachdonin! Glad to see you're back. Things around here have been really good since the release, busy. Hope you find away to get your toys back out and play soon. Hopefully the renovation will be done sooner then later.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 08:26:51 AM »
I'm pleased to announce that Dread and Daveseer are the first recipients of runes for their entries in the battle report contest.  For winning the contest, Daveseer receives five runes, while Dread receives three as per the guidelines for posting a full battle report from the Eldar perspective.  Congratulations to both of you!

Note that while you're not currently a member of the PoC Daveseer, you will become one if you keep your constructive contributions to the Eldar community coming, we've got our eye on you ;).

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
Thanks Irisado. It was fun and I am ready to do another. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
Suggestions for the next event? Painting competitions are rather blase and get dominated by a few so I would suggest those. Other ideas?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Daveseer

• The best cure is a shuriken aspirin.
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 06:10:03 AM »
Many thanks for the runes Irisado, and congrats to fellow compadre' Dread (love that Crimson Hunter!).  Agreed, it was fun and I can't wait to have a bash at it again.  Alas I am currently directing a play (terrible old amateur ham is me, I'm afraid!).  Like wargaming, this hobby swallows time like a chrono-chewing Mawloc with the ganga munchies, so my next effort may have to wait until Santa-time.  Meantime I will try to find something intelligent to contribute to the general discussions (alas I've been through the lets bash/defend/whatever the USA more times than I can mention - bottom line is - we're all folk!).  Thanks again.  Love this sight and respect its intelligent  and constructive approach, not to mention the help it is giving me in dealing out Shuriken death to those on the wrong side of the wraithbone!

May Fuegan stay away from your pets!
Daveseer

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »
I felt the need to check in.  I'm really happy to see this new grand PoC, it looks very refined and usable and should be a great revitalization of a fantastic part of this community.  Thank you Irisado and the others who worked to establish it.

Also...loving the infinity circuit inactive title...has a kind of august respectability to it :)
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #35 on: January 7, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »
Fellow Eldar players I wish to draw your attention to the Challenge 2014 Thread in the painting forum.  A great way to show us all your lovely painted new Eldar models you got for Christmas.  We didn't have a single Eldar model painted last year for the challenge and I rarely see any Eldar popping up on the painting forums any more.  Lets get them painted and there may well be command points available for those that participate!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #36 on: January 7, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
Hey V. I put my Wraith Knight in last month so there was one, haha. Looking forward to the challenge.

Offline Daveseer

• The best cure is a shuriken aspirin.
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »
Will be doing my bit to rectify the eldar scarcity issue shortly!
Daveseer

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 07:51:13 AM »
In addition to participating in the painting challenge (which is a great competition for anyone who can hold a paintbrush, so get involved, and keep the Eldar side up, we can't let those Imperials get ahead of us :D), I've had some further thoughts about things for the Eldar community here to do this year.

First and foremost, we need more tactical articles/unit guides.  Iyandenseer wrote a good piece on using Wraith units which was published a while back (look for it on the front page if you haven't seen it - please ask if you don't know what I'm talking about when I say front page), but other than this, we're having to rely on fifth edition material written by Gutstikk, moc, Adrastos, and myself, all of which is starting to show its age.

My question to you all is how best to go about updating this.  Are articles the best way forward, or should a unit guide similar to moc's fifth edition guide be compiled?  Who would be interested in writing such a guide or articles?  Does one person want to take of it, or would there be interest among a group of you for doing this?

Another idea concerns banners.  In the past, all Eldar PoCs used to have a banner.  Just because there's only one PoC now doesn't mean that it can't have a snazzy banner to help with advertising it.  Would anyone like to design one?  If enough of you are interested in making one, there could be a contest.

Please give your input here.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
I'd be happy to contribute to unit guides / articles with comments, or to act as secretary if we wanted to try and write them by committee, but I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to be the sole author (I've only played about a dozen games with the new 'dex)

I suppose I could try and write a unit guide myself, but I'd be relying heavily on the more experienced members to comment / correct / rip the crap out of my draft. If you struggle for volunteers Iris, I'll give it a go.

Also one thing that seemed to attract a reasonable amount of interest back in 5th ed days was the list-building comps. -Maybe time to re-do these, since we have a new ed & codex?
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.