News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Grizzly's Xenos, Mechs and Pointy ears !  (Read 30205 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: The Grizzly's Xenos, Mechs and Pointy ears !
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »
Neat :) nice to see some of the lesser races in their rightful place: taking the bullet instead of the eldar. Your Farseer must be doing his job ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:55:42 AM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2018, 01:38:50 AM »
Really cool choice of different color schemes for each squad, Grizzly. I think the white and ocher ones are my favorite! Are you intending for the different schemes on your battlesuits as well? Or will they have a more unified scheme?
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
That is a very daunting amount of models to paint! You are a far braver man than me!

For the color, you can maybe spot I did some test with red and blue, but some friend said it did not really fit. Wich I do think so a bit aswell. Yet I can't say my current color scheme makes me happy so I will try a few things for a while until I do find what color I want to have. And then it's going to be building and painting time!!!

I think red and blue together in a scheme can work...but it's difficult. As they are both bold, primary colours, they will fight for attention (Part of the reason I hate my Eldar at the moment...too much red, which makes the models fight themselves). If you only have one of the colours acting as the focus, with the other as a spot colour, used in strict moderation, it can work...but balance is key.

Whatever you end up deciding, good luck!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »
I have been quiet for too long and I apologise! :-[

@Magenb and @Ynnedwraith : Actually... I have yet to fix the narrative for both my army so  I could very easily swap the roles around righ and left it is not set in stone AT ALL, but I do like oyu idea xD Plus I am kinda starting to think it could be fun to have a similly Farsight enclave with eldar at the lead or maybe a joint work between eldar and Tau into creating a Craftworld where both mixes?  I don't know I will see.

@Myental : Sadly I have the regret to annonce, I do not intend to keep different color for different strike teams, it's just a mix and match from all the things I bought right and left. And even more sadly I do not like the ocher one that much so they are likely to not stick. That said one of the Hammerhead will be done in this type of color, porbably more Emphasis on the black and ocher, to symbolise the fact that Longstrike is a commander from Tau.

@Looshkin : I am not brave it's just that once I start buying Warhammer or a lot of things I do not stop until I am temporarly satieted. So I end up with this kind of amphetamine parrotty situation xD. You are absolutly right about the blue and red, really tricky to find a good balance, wich in why in the following test I try took a tangente away from all that.

@Everyone : Thanks for the kind words :)

With that out of the way let me explain why the quietness. 1 - lack of time / Motivation (compounding effect between the two) 2 - Moving ! (Yes I actually changed appartment so I went from a fully equiped one to only the kitchen and bathroom equiped. Therefore no time or space to paint mini, BUT this is now over).

So yeah I'm back and I still don't know where to go with my Tau Army color  ???  Ok so here have a look at all the test I did on the last few days. And I'm not finished I just have pretty much ran out of idea for red version so the next few test will probably be in the blue range. Behold my creativity !  8)

Even more testing - Album on Imgur

Oh yeah and since I have a new place, and it's bigger than the older one, I invested in some WorkDesk for Painting Minis! Mouahahahahahahah! (Yes do picture me yelling at you, or the sky rather, like a bad villain from a old james bond movie or something)

Minis Workstation - Album on Imgur

I have so much to paint and I am still not even fixated on the color of my army... I'm beslubbered  :P

Hope you like the quick update.
PS : Cav you better like it because I hurried to get it out after your last post xD

PS2 : If someone could explaion to me, how I could geet pictures to show when I use imgur that would be awesome, If I can't use It, I guess, I will have to find something else.

Caps removed, as it makes it appear as though you really are shouting.  Please use bold text and/or exclamation marks to add emphasis next time :) - Iris.

-> Actually , had you known me IRL, you would have expected me to be properly shouting these kind of things but I get what you are saying. I shall be carefull about that. - Grizz -
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:24:22 AM by Grizzlykin »
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2018, 06:00:57 AM »
Regarding the pictures, have you tried either of the options presented here and here?
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:08 AM »
Regarding the pictures, have you tried either of the options presented here and here?

I do believe the problem comes from imgur. Ican't get them to show up I'm gonna have to look at this in depth but changing hosting site is probably going to be the solution.

Thanks for the link anyway Iris^^

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2018, 06:40:32 AM »
I liked the mix of red and dark blue in the firewarrior second from the right on the top row. tough to make out details in that photo though, might also be better with wash. I haven't tried such different colors next to each other, looks cool though.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »

@Magenb and @Ynnedwraith : Actually... I have yet to fix the narrative for both my army so  I could very easily swap the roles around righ and left it is not set in stone AT ALL, but I do like oyu idea xD Plus I am kinda starting to think it could be fun to have a similly Farsight enclave with eldar at the lead or maybe a joint work between eldar and Tau into creating a Craftworld where both mixes?  I don't know I will see.

Even more testing - Album on Imgur

Doomed target getting smashed by Tau firepower... scary :)

The dark red and white combo is nice, just not sure on the light blue bits.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
Grizz! Glad to see you got a bigger place and work station. Thats great news! As for color scheme... I think I like the grey and white one. It reminds me of Scorpion82's Tau which I"m a huge fan of. You could easily follow his painting tutorial too and get a nice can of primer to make the work go that much faster.

If you do... I think its an "Army Painter Spray Primer" and white. If you go with that scheme use Celestra Grey for the heads and stuff. It'll make painting the white so much easier! Celestra Grey is such a clutch color. If you want it to be a bit brighter use Ulthuan Grey (which is the same color as the GW Corax White Primer).

Anyway great stuff. Can't wait to see which direction you go in. Keep it up Grizz!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2018, 02:05:57 AM »
Hey Grizzly! :)

Regarding Imgur - Myental here had a similar issue with Imgur images not showing up. In this post of mine I showed the way of linking images that works, and it seemed to have helped. Check it out ;)

That's a lovely working place you've got there! There's one big thing that is missing from it though: a compressor and an airbrush! I mean, if you approach this hobby of miniature painting seriously enough to organise a special working place for it, then an airbrush is the next thing you should invest into. Trust me ;)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »

Regarding Imgur - Myental here had a similar issue with Imgur images not showing up. In this post of mine I showed the way of linking images that works, and it seemed to have helped. Check it out ;)

Yeah I kept reminding myself to mention that in this thread once Grizzly mentioned his imgur problems. But of course my memory keeps momentarily blanks out and I forget it again ;D. Yeah Grizzly, SeekingOne's method for imgur posts worked for me and I'm certain it'll work for you too. It really makes a difference once you can post actual images on the thread itself without having to divert readers to another site with a link.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2018, 04:25:30 AM »
Hey Grizz...looking forward to seeing what you do with the Tau. Personally, I like the Fire Warrior with the red clothing and white armour panels. The white might turn into a cow to paint, but as Cav said, if you work off a Celestra Grey base, it becomes quite easy.

As for the other test models...I think that the 4 on the left may well permanently damage your retinas if you paint a whole army of them! They are very vibrant...for me, too vibrant; however I think that they could work if toned down even just a little.

Keep the updates rolling Grizz!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2022, 06:42:58 PM »
Keep the updates rolling Grizz!

Well damn That didn't age well xD

Okay gotta figure out things get the ball rolling again, and I'm gonna be back in this whole fun shenanigans space in no time :) Sorry for the delay hiatus disappearance call it what ever you want, I'm going to revive all of this :D

If anyone can point me to one of the ways to include picture that is up to date before I dive into the deep end of the different post on the topic in this forum that would be great.

does this method still work ?

That's a lovely working place you've got there! There's one big thing that is missing from it though: a compressor and an airbrush! I mean, if you approach this hobby of miniature painting seriously enough to organise a special working place for it, then an airbrush is the next thing you should invest into. Trust me ;)

Oh yeah side note I still have no airbrush but it's now definitely on the list. Tried one at a friends house and... just for my tanks if not for anything else it would be so damn good. Especially for this god forsaken Troll slayer orange main color of my eldars.

I will be back with some WIPs and some small stuff I did since the last time I was here soon Look forward to it folks.
Also because this thread is the only thing motivating my painting of miniatures xD.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2022, 10:35:44 PM »
We'll be here, waiting  :).

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2022, 04:58:14 PM »
For pictures, I upload to Imgur, and then share the pictures that way. Easiest way to do it.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2022, 07:16:56 PM »
I use imgbb.com and has been easy for this computer illiterate guy to use.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #156 on: April 1, 2022, 04:22:16 PM »
Lol, I've killed a few threads around this place. I killed off Grizz's thread and Cav's almost around the same time! Stop killing threads Loosh!

Welcome back Grizzlykin. Great to see you back and active. I hope you work out photo sharing that works for you. I'm looking forward to see what you're working on.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #157 on: April 9, 2022, 05:00:20 PM »
Okay here goes nothing, let's start it again slowly, here are my current painted Tau, and WIPs I have to build this god damn commander xD.

I need some advice if you can I'm not sure about the crisis style just yet. I've tried two different styles, but I'm not convinced with either of them. I was looking at them and I can't find a good way to make the color balance work. I feel like a mainly dark blue with some of the grey highlight might be better a bit like the stealth suit. But I kinda feel like too much blue would impede on the stealth style. I wanted to go dark blue for the stealth, and lighter colors for the main crisis but I have yet to find a way to make it work. Black mechanical part will help for sure but yeah, not convinced yet.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2022, 01:05:57 AM »
They're looking good!

Strangely enough - your scheme is like the T'au version of the Mobile Suit Gundam's Earth Federation colors  ;D - which I think is kind of fitting!

Can't wait to see more!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2022, 10:00:57 PM »
nice colour scheme for the Tau. I would suggest the lighter version for the Tau suits as it keeps it in line with the rest of the army. I think the Head of the suit needs some colour though.