News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wraithblades- Axe or Sword?  (Read 8860 times)

Offline ZarathustraSuicuine

Wraithblades- Axe or Sword?
« on: June 1, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
I was wandering what people are going to be giving their wraithblades? Initially I was thinking axes to deal with 2+, but we have so much shooting that can deal with it I am thinking that a pair of ghoastswords would be better as they would mean they would have 2 Attacks and strike with a high initiative, strength, and AP, which should deal with most opponents. The 4++ of the axe variant it tempting, but is it worth going for them for that alone?

[mod]Please don't go overboard with the stats - it's against the forum rules - Iris.[/mod]
« Last Edit: June 1, 2013, 06:34:53 PM by Irisado »
Iyanden Eldar, Thousand sons. Yes I use Swooping Hawks, I find they work for me and I love the models.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Wraithblades- Axe or Sword?
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
Like all things Eldar, it is very dependent.

Do you face a lot of AP2-3 weaponry? If so, like myself, take the 4++ variant. While they won't have as much punch, they will be VERY durable at range and in CC. This is especially important if you are using a smaller squad where each death matters.

Do you have a lot of other high priority targets in your army? If so, you can probably get away with the sword variant. A larger squad will be needed if you do lose some bodies along the way.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »
I think Partninja has it when he asks whats going to be shooting back at you. The Eldar now have an absurd amount of low AP capability. Even Guardians are more than capable of shooting Terminators to death now. Because of this, i don't think the Ghost Axe is really a needed improvement over the Ghost Swords. The Force Shield, on the other hand, is what makes the difference.

Even amongst Wraith units, Wraithblades with axes wouldn't be my go-to for dealing with 2+ saves. D-Scythes are so much nicer for that.

If you're going up against an army with lots of high S and low AP weapons, the Axe and Shield are your best bet. Otherwise, i'd stick with swords.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
The 4++ is also useful for CC don't forget. There are a lot of CC options that ignore the WB's armor save and their high toughness won't always help them. MCs, termies with power claws, melee characters etc.

Our other units are glass cannons, even the more durable Scorpions, spears and sometimes Spiders. Sometimes, things don't go the way you want. The axe+shield WBs can hack and slash in a combat all day long where as prolonged combats go badly for the above units.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »
I've gone with the Axe/Shield combo as I figure the survivability is worth the low Initiative. Banshees and Scorps aren't really goin to survive waiting a turn after getting out of their Serpent. Shielded Wraithblades will though!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2013, 02:06:38 AM »
It would also depend on what else is in your army, if you have a wraithknight then that will be drawing a lot of attention.

How will you use them, counter attacking Termies? Power armour hunters..

I will be interested in how these go in real games though, without transport, I can see them drawing pot shots with people avoiding them easily. With transport, they become very expensive.

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
I will be going for the axe/shield combo, as I think that it really isn't worth using an X points model, when it can easily be killed by the krak missiles/melta guns/plasma guns/ whatever other high strength low ap weapon that in in almost every marine squad.

It will also help when facing dedicated CC units, as they often will be able to take down several of the wraith blades quite easily, or even a power fist sergeant/ork nob with claw, you will be unable to challenge them out (unless there is a HQ that can deal with them) due to the lack of characters in the unit, so they will be free to wreak havoc if they survive your blows to strike.

This is especially the case if you are footslogging them, as they will have to face these missiles as they footslog across the entire board. I suppose you could add a spirit seer with conceal to the unit, and then run from cover to cover, giving you a better chance of surviving than the shield, but it will slow you down.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Rodge77

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »
I've gone for the Ghostaxe & Forceshield combo. My reasoning behind this is as follows:

Consider a squad of 5 Wraithblades (Ghostaxe & Forceshield) with an attached Spiritseer with the protect psychic power granting a 2+ armour save! Then of course the blades have the invulnerable save thanks to the Forceshield. Awesome right there. Then include a Farseer in your army and hopefully roll Fortune on the psychic powers. Play this power on the blades for a 2+ reroll or invulnerable save reroll for über awesome! With high toughness as well this will give the unit amazing staying power in CC or holding an objective. With the Spiritseer also granting the spirit mark on an enemy unit for reroll 1s in combat the Wraithblades will be a total wreaking ball in a game!

Also, without the Forceshield and no transport Wraithblades can be at risk for the large numbers of ap3 weapons in the game. Yes, the Ghostaxe is unwieldy and will strike (rules for unwieldy removed) after most enemy's in close combat have struck first but with the high toughness and great saving throws hopefully with the added benefits of the above they will pose a massive threat to most units in the game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:10:42 PM by Irisado »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
[mod]Welcome to the forum. Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules. I've had to edit your post to make it comply with rule 1, and I'm also locking this thread in accordance with rule 4e on thread necromancy. If you want to have a discussion about why the axe is the best choice for Wraithblades, then please feel free to start a new thread :).[/mod]
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente