News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Political ideas within literature  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
Re: Political ideas within literature
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 03:12:58 PM »
Just a quick question in order to guage something. Who present has read and/or liked either f the following:

A Catcher in the Rhye by JD Salinger

OR

On the Road by Jack Kerouac
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Felix Faustus

• Failed Anti-Mod Revolutionary
  • 1 part idiocy; 2 parts irony; 3 parts lobstrosity
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »
I have read niether as I am a stupid uneducated delinquent :P
If you can stage the conditions right, creating a chaos god of biscuits could be quite possible.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 03:17:22 PM »
I read the Catcher in the Rye but not On the Road. What does On the Road explore as a theme Razyus?

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
Actually 1984 was written explicitly about Soviet Russia.

No it wasn't
It was Orwell's vision of a distopian world caused by the unchecked expansion of all three superpowers.
Animal Farm was specifically Soviet Russia.

I think the hallmark of a great book is that over the years it still remains relevant. Despite the author being influenced by current events of their time, the message and the ideas are just as easy to relate to 50 years down the road. 1984, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, The Lord of the Rings etc...

Indeed

Lord of the flies is truly great, I loved it and found the way the children created a very raw society interesting in comparison to how I would speculate a society of children would be formed in more modern times.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I haven't read it.
I must, I think.
Everyone keeps talking about it and I just hate not knowing. ;)

Just a quick question in order to guage something. Who present has read and/or liked either f the following:
A Catcher in the Rhye by JD Salinger
OR
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Damn. Ditto. >:(

Dizzy

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 04:00:36 PM »
You like them Dizzy Dinosaur?

On the Road explores the aging and movement into maturity of two people and the bond that many would describe as love I'd guess between those people. The way there can be some force bringing you apart. Did that book club idea ever get started Asreus? Just because we seem to have side tracked the thread. :-*
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Mud Man!

• Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 04:58:37 PM »
No it wasn't
It was Orwell's vision of a distopian world caused by the unchecked expansion of all three superpowers.
Animal Farm was specifically Soviet Russia.

I'm not sure if the target was explicitly Stalin's Russia, but I know that Stalin's Russia more or less formed the basis for Oceania

Wiki:

Orwell based many aspects of Oceanian society on the Stalin-era Soviet Union. The "Two Minutes' Hate", for instance, being based on Stalinism's habitual demonization of their enemies and rivals, and big brother himself bears a resemblance to Stalin. The motif of "2+2=5" is taken directly from a Soviet propaganda poster during Stalin's industrialization drive

However ever since Stalin his tactics have essentially formed the basis for dictatorial societies, which leads to it's wide applicability.
Lighten up while you still can,
Don't even try to understand,
Just find a place to make your stand,
And take it easy

"Why should I trade 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away?" -Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about Austrian economics or Anarcho-Capitalism as a political

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 04:15:15 AM »
[quote author=Commissar-General link=topic=114076.msg1345398#msg1345398
.........However ever since Stalin his tactics have essentially formed the basis for dictatorial societies, which leads to it's wide applicability.
[/quote]

Fair enough.
Stalin makes a very easy charcter to model dictators on. He's kind of the 20th Centuries achetype. :)

You like them Dizzy Dinosaur?

Sorry. Misunderstanding. I didn't read them. I tried to read On the Road once but just couldn't get into it. I shall have to try agian.....but it's quite far down on the list. There aren't any spaceships, aliens or laser guns in it as far as I know. ;)

I'm not sure the thread is getting so side tracked. We still have quite a lot of politics floating around here. Kerouac was highly political (at least he caused a lot of controversy, which is just as good).
OK, it's maybe not the sledgehammer politics of Orwell, but like I said, I didn't read so I can't really comment.

Asreus.
The book club idea is an excellent one.

Dizzy

Offline Mud Man!

• Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 04:23:37 AM »
I read Catcher in the Rye. Didn't like it. That whole disaffected youth thing really doesn't resonate with me. I'm youtful, but remain steadfastly...affec ted?
Lighten up while you still can,
Don't even try to understand,
Just find a place to make your stand,
And take it easy

"Why should I trade 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away?" -Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about Austrian economics or Anarcho-Capitalism as a political