News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119532 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (Volturnos Rises!)
« Reply #540 on: February 12, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »

Best guess based on what you've said, is the paints in dropper bottles tend to be thinner than GW pots, if they have been sitting around for a long time then they'll need a really good long shake. Google Vortex paint shaker and save your arm lol.

It could just be the paint, like most whites really need very thin layers and you have to wait for each one to dry completely or it will streak or tear. Some of GW "layer" metal paints fall into both of these conditions, stormhost silver in particular.

Ah, that makes since, Mage! Thanks for the advice! I'll have to get one of those paint shakers lol.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Conclaves of the Asur: Feb. Update and Summary
« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing alright and that life is okay for everyone!

Update Time!

40k Status: So, I've had every intention of starting 40000 by this point in the year. I've found myself playing with an inner circle of good friends who are also tournament players in their own right.

At the moment, our group seems quite divided on Warhammer 40k. One half is busy chasing the meta and the other half are so disillusioned with the balancing of tournament play that they've decided to focus on AoS for the time being instead.

I am on the half that has decided just to focus on AoS for the moment. I'm still knee-deep in Idoneth and now I am going to have two additional ones coming in the near future...

That's right! More children of the Asur are flocking to the Conclave's light!But more on that in a bit!

Right now, I'm preparing for a Path to Glory campaign with my training group. This will become our first major preparation for the Nashcon Tournament, my first tournament ever. The Path to Glory is meant to teach and drill the fundamentals of the game into us. We all know them, but mastering them is on a higher tier than most of us new players are sitting at.

That means that our armies also need to be fully painted before hand. Which I know I'm not the highest standard, but I do desire that my army as a whole be on the current standard I've reached currently. So that means I'm going to have to start churning out minis!

I'll be representing the Idoneth Enclaves at Nashcon this year, and expect to see a lot of Disciples of Tzeentch nastiness girded against us!

Back to the mention of two more armies! So, while I'm focused on Idoneth for the first half of the year, once I've achieved my goal for painting the entire army, I'll naturally be moving onward to new horizons.

So, who are the contenders to join the ranks of the Asur?

The Daughters of Khaine have returned to the fold! Someone at my GW that I've run into occasionally happened to be selling a DoK army that's mostly built and primed, but unpainted! Perfect! Plus, it has a surplus of the more difficult items to acquire without blowing a hole through your wallet.

This is what I'll be acquiring in the trade:

15 Blood Sisters
5 Blood Stalkers
5 Doomfire Warlocks
30 Witch Aelves
10 Khinerai
3 Hag Queens, 3 Slaughter Queens, 3 Medusae
1 Bloodwrack Shrine
2 Blood of Cauldron
1 Morathi

I know I said a lot about Daughters of Khaine in the past, I shall leave you with this... I was impatient and pressured by other factors to have them sold. I'm ready to give them another go! However, I want to say that this army will probably not be completed or maybe not even worked on much until further in the year or perhaps next year...

Because I'll be focused on Lumineth after Nash-con and building them in small blocks. I intend to start off with a 500 point force to begin with. Once again, focused on the completion of my Idoneth for the foreseeable future.

In any case, we shall see! New opportunities abound! New techniques and challenges to learn!

Stay peeled on the Conclaves of the Asur!

Gotten almost over half of my eels to 80% - 90% completion! Just two more to go!

The final wave arrives.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:23:59 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #542 on: February 15, 2020, 09:59:18 PM »
So, wow! You are a painting machine. Sounds like you've got a lot of exciting events coming up so just remember to enjoy yourself playing as much as when you're painting. I'm trying to get back to painting, building no problem, priming no problem, just sitting down and pushing the brushes has gotten hard. Think I'll be back from burn out real soon. Until then I'll be living vicariously thru you.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #543 on: February 15, 2020, 10:40:47 PM »
So, wow! You are a painting machine. Sounds like you've got a lot of exciting events coming up so just remember to enjoy yourself playing as much as when you're painting. I'm trying to get back to painting, building no problem, priming no problem, just sitting down and pushing the brushes has gotten hard. Think I'll be back from burn out real soon. Until then I'll be living vicariously thru you.

Thanks!

I shall lend you the energy that you need, Dread, to get those brushes working ;D!

I am enjoying myself quite a bit. I made a Battle Report not too long ago and played a game against Ironjawz that I did not report on. Funny enough, I beat the Ironjawz player. Turns out when the High Tide comes in, the Idoneth are the ones doing the smashin' and bashin' LOL!!!

I cannot wait to get started on the Lumineth and Daughters of Khaine!!! My mind is ready and I am focused, so I must keep battering away at my Idoneth.

Still lots of work to do there. But, there's been much progress too!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #544 on: February 17, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »
40k Status: So, I've had every intention of starting 40000 by this point in the year. I've found myself playing with an inner circle of good friends who are also tournament players in their own right.

At the moment, our group seems quite divided on Warhammer 40k. One half is busy chasing the meta and the other half are so disillusioned with the balancing of tournament play that they've decided to focus on AoS for the time being instead.

Yeah 40k is not in a good place, they were at the LVO and witnessed how bad it was first hand. The organizers made it rather clear they are killing the game, but I don't see it changing for the rest of the Psychic awakening campaign as it would have been mapped out long ago. Even then its going to need so much work to get it any where near a balanced game, it may be easier to ring the 9th ed bell. The big question will be if GW can pull themselves out of the cycle of releasing OP rules to drive sales.

Really like the orange Eel, looks really clean.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #545 on: February 17, 2020, 07:42:13 PM »
Yes magenb is right from tourney point but the at home friendly games are still fun. As for AoS, couldn't stand it from its release but since 2.0 came out, I really like it. The really dumbed down rules actually make it enjoyable. Not having to worry about str vs toughness and a few other things makes it faster to play but I still miss me 8th ed except for the horde rule.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #546 on: February 18, 2020, 09:02:21 AM »
Yes magenb is right from tourney point but the at home friendly games are still fun. As for AoS, couldn't stand it from its release but since 2.0 came out, I really like it. The really dumbed down rules actually make it enjoyable. Not having to worry about str vs toughness and a few other things makes it faster to play but I still miss me 8th ed except for the horde rule.

Yeah 40k is not in a good place, they were at the LVO and witnessed how bad it was first hand. The organizers made it rather clear they are killing the game, but I don't see it changing for the rest of the Psychic awakening campaign as it would have been mapped out long ago. Even then its going to need so much work to get it any where near a balanced game, it may be easier to ring the 9th ed bell. The big question will be if GW can pull themselves out of the cycle of releasing OP rules to drive sales.

Yeah, precisely the feeling that I was getting. I don't really have anyone to play many friendly games of 40k with. At least, not at the moment. So for now I'll wait patiently for that time to arrive.

Hopefully 9th edition can alleviate some of these issues :).

Have to wait 24 hours for this stuff to dry lol.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:38:52 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #547 on: March 13, 2020, 09:02:52 PM »
Wow, lots going on. The bases are so cool. I like the eel in the last pics colors, so intriguing. What is that stuff you're using for the wave effect?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #548 on: March 14, 2020, 12:20:42 AM »
Thanks, Dread, I'm using something called UV Resin, which dries with a special UV light.

I'm actually not using that stuff anymore as it smells awful and the smell desperately clings to anything it touches lol!

I've actually decided to follow Magenb's older tutorial on how to make wave bases ;D.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Conclaves of the Asur: March Update
« Reply #549 on: March 15, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
Update Time!!!

So, got no painted stuff to show off this time and with good reason.

First off, here is some stuff that I'm working on!

So recently, I've been doing some deep-delving into Airbrush do's and don'ts with someone who is far more experienced with airbrushes than I am. He is schooling me in a number of tricks that I can use with my own airbrush to increase my painting skill set.

In light of all of this knowledge, I'm also increasing my hobby supplies to achieve some stuff that I've been meaning too!

How to make water effect bases for Idoneth Deepkin - YouTube

I'm acquiring the supplies to achieve the results in this video for ocean bases!!

Also, I've been researching the stynel-rez method of priming a model for the specific purpose of pre-shading and using...

Inks! I've also purchased a good selection of hobby inks, specifically called Amsterdam Inks! They stood out to me immediately, a lot of different shades that look really great.

I've found some pretty good vaseline putty from AK meant to mask minis for airbrushing. It's specifically produced to leave no residue or anything on the miniature itself and is reusable :).

I'm also acquiring a Photography Light Box to enhance the quality of my photos and images. I know that's one weakness that I'd like to address, as bad lighting has been something I've been trying to combat for a long time now.

I'm also acquiring one of those Vortex Paint Shakers... and some citadel Air and regular paints!

So, exciting times ahead... I think I'll finally be able to start airbrushing the weekend after next. It'll take a little while yet for everything to get here lol.

Also, I've rethought my stance on getting into the Daughters of Khaine. Lumineth are just around the corner, so I passed on that DoK army I was talking about.

Right now, it's going to be Lumineth and Idoneth... and maybe, just maybe... some Craftworld Eldar :). I've been itching to paint some Howling Banshees, Jain Zar, Wraithguard, and some Farseers... so we'll see how it goes ;D.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:09:06 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
that's an awesome way to do splash effects.

Tamiya makes a hobby painters tape, it good for straight lines and small curves like eldar jet bikes, or for making Ulthwe lightning effect on tanks. The putty sounds like a neat idea, will be interested to see how that works out.

Citadel air paint.. don't know why they didn't use a dropper bottle, if you got some spare droppers, save yourself a bunch of hassle and swap them over.

The vortex works well, just get some cheap bearings (stainless) to drop in the bottles.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
So recently, I've been doing some deep-delving into Airbrush do's and don'ts with someone who is far more experienced with airbrushes than I am. He is schooling me in a number of tricks that I can use with my own airbrush to increase my painting skill set.

That is really cool, having someone with the relevant experience teach you is a great way to learn something.

How to make water effect bases for Idoneth Deepkin - YouTube

I'm acquiring the supplies to achieve the results in this video for ocean bases!

I think the best thing about that video is the technique he uses to paint his sand.

Inks! I've also purchased a good selection of hobby inks, specifically called Amsterdam Inks! They stood out to me immediately, a lot of different shades that look really great.

Whoa inks are a blast from the past! My DE avatar was painted using one of GW's inks. I wish you the best of luck with them. I remember inks being really runny and it being really difficult to stop them pooling.

I've found some pretty good vaseline putty from AK meant to mask minis for airbrushing. It's specifically produced to leave no residue or anything on the miniature itself and is reusable

That sounds like a good idea. Tape is okay, but a product that can be moulded to any shape has got to be more useful and easier to use.

I'm also acquiring a Photography Light Box to enhance the quality of my photos and images. I know that's one weakness that I'd like to address, as bad lighting has been something I've been trying to combat for a long time now.

Are you buying a Light Box that comes complete with lights? Don't forget it is how you light the Light Box that is important. Taking a picture in a Light Box just using frontal lighting will still produce a picture with harsh shadows.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
That is really cool, having someone with the relevant experience teach you is a great way to learn something.

Indeed, I fear that I would have already made some crucial mistakes without his guidance. So, I am grateful :).

I think the best thing about that video is the technique he uses to paint his sand.

I agree that the sand texture does stand out very well too. I already have some of that grey pumice so... might do that too ^^.

Whoa inks are a blast from the past! My DE avatar was painted using one of GW's inks. I wish you the best of luck with them. I remember inks being really runny and it being really difficult to stop them pooling.

I'm not certain if the GW inks were meant for airbrushing straight out of the pot. These Amsterdam inks were formulated with art styles in mind. Airbrushing is specifically mentioned as being one of them. At least, that is according to them. However, will probably still need to build up with several thin coats.

That sounds like a good idea. Tape is okay, but a product that can be moulded to any shape has got to be more useful and easier to use.
I was thinking a long similar lines, but it may take some time before I learn to crank some cool patterns out without effort :).

Are you buying a Light Box that comes complete with lights? Don't forget it is how you light the Light Box that is important. Taking a picture in a Light Box just using frontal lighting will still produce a picture with harsh shadows.

Not just any lights, but 2-3 tripod lights! Someone recommended them to me and showed off a couple of photos of his Nurgle minis. It looks pretty good!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Man those Deepkin are looking gorgeous Myen'Tal! The Eels in particular are really popping like a madman. The different colors on each one is a solid move, but they all tie in beautifully I love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
@Cavalier: Thanks, Chief ;D! I'm glad that you like the eels, they're the heart and soul of the Idoneth so I've been keen to make them stand out.

I'm going to see what else I can do with some of the airbrush tricks I'm studying now with them. So keep your eyes peeled 8).

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Once you get going with the air brush, you'll see a big difference in your painting. I wish that all those years ago, I had used mine for my Eldar tanks but honestly didn't occur to me until years later which is weird since I did a lot of murals on hotrods and trucks and to paint my model cars. I've done one crimson hunter and 2 falcons with a completely different scheme, which I love, but to strip and repaint that many as well as jetbikes, etc. To match, I'll pass. Anyhow, I'm waiting to see what you do with yours so hurry up, need me some Myen'Tal paint pick me ups. 8)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Here are some touched up Akhelians to help pass the time!!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Thanks for that. I really looked it over. His flesh is fantastic and the eel looks so smooth. The ink/wash work is done so perfectly. The color palette, as I've said before, smart.they compliment each other beautifully. The metallics stand out great without overpowering the model. You can see the personality and it tells a story. All of your models do. K. Enough gushing. Keep it up, you're just getting better and better.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks, Dread, I'll start on another one tomorrow! Also I need to go back and layer the skin some more on the blue/red eel's akhelian rider ;D.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
that's a striking blue on the weapon shaft, is that a contrast paint over a metal? Looks sweeeet.