News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wraithknight viability...  (Read 1739 times)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Wraithknight viability...
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
Hi Guys  ;)

I'm just wondering what you all make of the Wraithknight now in 8th?

Let me explain my feelings about the big guy.

I've always used one or more because I love the model.  People I regularly play against play BIG.....small games are 2500pts and it grows from there.  The chap I play against most has a vast 'Nids army which is currently enjoying the best codex it has seen.  On top of this, he uses more zilla nids than you can point a amphetamine parrotty stick at.

Despite the loss of Destroyer, and increase in points, I'm finding my WK's to be real eveners.  They help me hold my own against pretty much anything, and this is down to many of the 8th ed rules.....enabling me to blow holes in anything with the Heavy Wraithcannons, then kick the stuffing out of units in combat.  Being able to move with no loss of BS, and shoot at stuff I don't have to charge is awesome, as is splitting fire....
When he tries to swamp me with gaunts emerging through tunnels I stomp them, jump out of combat, shoot something, stomp something else....no loss of performance.
The WK's hefty toughness and wounds (especially with the Iyanden rules I follow), keep him busy and killing late into the game.  My opponent cannot level enough firepower in any one flank to kill one off, where he CAN when I use multiple Wraithlords.

The big guys are enjoying a new lease of life in my games, it has to be said.

Still using WK's?  How are you finding them in the current rules?

Cheers, Reborn. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:53:08 AM by The Reborn »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Wraithknight viability...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:20:33 AM »
I've used my Wraithknight once in 8th but to be honest that was pre-codex.
I've never really had concern over the amount of damage it can do, the Heavy Wraithcannons are still really quite brutal against tanks and large monsters and the titanic feet attacks are almost as good as the old stomp rules but in the only game I used him in I found that he just didn't live long enough. I was up against a Space Marine Primaris army that just blew him away with Plasma and Lascannons/Missile Launchers. Whilst it took a lot of firepower to do so it only took my opponent a single turn to achieve this and despite me getting the first turn he didn't come close to getting his points back.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Dageran

• Armies: Eldar Wraiths
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:50:33 AM »
After trying for the past half year to justify my Wraithknight, I think it's honestly part of why I've taken a break from playing lately.

It's just too expensive for what it can do, and suffers doubly from being a single, expensive multi-wound model in an edition where Multi-wound models are generally worse than spamming horde units with to-wound buffs.

I stopped running my Wraithknight after it lost 14w in a round to 30 cultists with +1 to Wound from Veterans of the Long war.

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
That seems to be many peoples' experiences of using them.  I admit, this has happened rarely for me, despite playing against very experienced gamers.  I make the most of cover and I'm quite happy to start on a flank if it means lessening the weight of incoming fire...

Also, as I mentioned, we play BIG, so I can usually use 2 at least. :)

I do think we should be on a Par with Imperial Knights though, it would be nice (even having to pay points for it), to be able to take a shield with any set-up...

Cheers for your thoughts. :)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
Large single models are a liability. Imperial Knights are generally not terribly competitive either.

Eldar Knights with lyanden are not too bad, and there are some good strategems out there as well. But, for the most part, super heavies are too much of a points sink, and too many things are able to kill them too quickly.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
I feel like lack of an invulnerable save is what makes me saddest. It doesn't matter against Krak Missiles and the like, but without a 5++, dealing with Lascannons or Melta is pretty rough given how much you pay for it. I wonder if you just grabbed a cheap Wraithknight with a sword+shield and some shoulder guns and ran him up the field, maybe with a Farseer casting Fortune on him, if he'd be able to earn back his points.

Iyanden definitely seems worth it for a Wraithknight as well, and remember that Fortune can target any ASURYANI units, so you don't need to make your other detachments Iyanden for this to work. You could have like:

Battalion of Alaitoc
Farseer
Warlock
Rangers
etc

Superheavy Auxiliary Detachment of Iyanden
Wraithknight

...and this would work fine.

However, some abilities like the Spiritseer's Spirit Mark malus or the Autarch's The Path of Command bonus only work with <CRAFTWORLD> units,  so these would not work with an off-craftworld Wraithknight.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »
Oddly enough, my gaming group was just discussing this tonight at our weekly get together.

All of the big monsters (Wraithknights / Imperial Knights / Rip Tides / Stormsurge / etc...) suffer from the fact that they are scary in their capabilities, and as such are priority targets that will rarely see past turn 1.

Take for instance the Khorne super heavy that we affectionately refer to as the Tonka-truck.  I have a friend who has brought his out, and played him twice with my Ravenwing.  First game he made it to turn 2 and was able to shoot his flamer and kill some bikes, but failed his charge and was blasted off the board.  Second game was in a tournament and it died top of turn 1.

There are too many weapons out there that will hit for significant damage.  Add on top of that, if you are facing an Ultramarine list with Bobby-G, it is pretty much guaranteed to go down turn one to Lascannons.

(Un)Fortunately, this edition is not the era of the super heavies, and balanced armies will rule the day.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »
Large single models are a liability. Imperial Knights are generally not terribly competitive either.

Eldar Knights with lyanden are not too bad, and there are some good strategems out there as well. But, for the most part, super heavies are too much of a points sink, and too many things are able to kill them too quickly.

spot on

Basically at 1500 points, I can normally take out a WK turn 1, maybe turn 2 if the dice don't play nice. It just gets worse the more points you stack on top. Basically I would only field a WK if I ran out of models, or maybe in an apoc game, because Apoc+infantry=snoooore

Given the point cost, if I was going to take a large point heavy models, it would be a cobra.