News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign  (Read 125765 times)

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »
Heh.
Welcome back, Underhand.  :)
Great to see you back in the fight.

Couldnt have put it any better  :)

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #361 on: December 30, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
I'm really pleased to see this thread alive and kicking, Deadzone was a pretty good Christmas prezzie, but I think this thread being resurrected just won Christmas for me!

Good to see you back, good to see you haven't been hit by a bus, and you have nice hand writing. Well done.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #362 on: January 1, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
Thank you Killing Time and Lonewolf - it's good to be back.

Looshkin, you are far too kind with regard to my hand writing.

Turn 3 Continued

Tempting as it was to have Ram pin-lock Smackhand for another turn, that little game had run its course.  Besides, Jacob was standing right there with a belt full of Heavy Bolter rounds with no one else to give them to.  I repositioned Ram to give covering fire to Boaz, Amon and Jemuel.

Up on the tower in the middle of the board, all my guys recovered from pinning.  They all went onto overwatch except Asa who dropped a Choke grenade onto the Goliath tunnelers below.  Choke Grenades are nasty, rendering anyone inside the gascloud (large blast template) completely useless but for the ability to craw 2” per turn.  No toughness or initiative checks – they just get beslubbered.

Jacob lined up Smackhand and took him out of action with a burst from the OIAM Heavy Bolter.

My big decision for the turn was how best to use Ram to help out Boaz, Amon and Jemuel.  I figured that close combat was pretty much inevitable in the next turn, and of Boaz, Amon and Jemuel, I was able to use both my enviable ability to figure out complex wargaming related mathematical equations and nearly 18 years playing experience to determine that Boaz was best able to defend himself in close combat.  I won’t bog this post down with pages of boring  algebra, but basically Boaz had WS6 and Jemuel and Amon only have 4 and 3 respectively.

So, I moved Amon back a bit to cover Jemuel, figuring that 6 shots ought to be enough to stop at least one of either Grimskull or Axehand and hopefully, Jemuel’s flamer would pin the other.

So Ram lined up Boneckrack, who was in the open, and shot him, taking off a wound and pinning him.  He would not be able to recover from pinning until the end of his next turn, because he was more than 2” away from Rockface (who had the loot).  That might not seem significant, but it was.

Jemuel and Boaz went into Overwatch.

Isaac went onto Overwatch ready to shoot any of the tunnelers who managed to crawl out of the choke cloud.

End of Turn 3:  Up/Down/Out
House Bloodaxe:  14/0/4
Hand of Redemption:  12/0/1

Turn 4

As things stood at the beginning of Turn 4, I calculated that I had the advantage.  Up in the middle tower, I had the greater numbers, and I doubted that Octavian would attempt to climb up to the top level to launch a melee assault, and if he did, I would probably win.  At ground level, the tunnelers were at least temporarily nullified thanks to the choke gas.  Over to the right, things were tight, but my guys had some special skills which could tilt things my way.  And of course my guys still had Ram, Isaac and Jacob with their fingers on triggers ready to intervene the second the balance of the fight looked like tipping against them.  And the three of them could bring a lot of weight to bear.   

A lot of players would throw their toys about at this point and give up.  And if it was just a regular game of 40k, I dare say that’s probably what Octavian would have done.  But this is Necromunda, and doing that now would mean the loss of a territory, and a decent one at that.   Losing his Settlement would mean less income at the end of the turn which would stop him from buying new weapons or replenishing losses.  Even worse, every cred of income he lost would be going to me instead.  He would not only be weaker, but I would be stronger.  So basically, he had to keep on playing, even though it meant more than likely meant just having to take a amphetamine parrot kicking. 

This is why old players, jaded with 40k often go back to Necromunda to refreshen their interest in the hobby.  It’s also why Necromunda is best played between either the best of friends or the worst of enemies.  You can’t help but commit to a campaign.

But I digress.

Octavian was behind, but such is the ridiculous size of his gang, that even with 4 guys out of action, he still wasn’t rolling bottle checks.  On paper at least,  he was still in the fight.

He started his turn by moving the guy he had previously been keeping on overwatch at the bottom of the middle tower (Ironfist - who was coincidently, the one  gang member that my ranged team couldn’t see) back into his deployment zone, giving him a shot, albeit significantly obscured, of Boaz.

In the middle, the gas cloud stayed where it was and Octavian managed to get one of his tunnelers out of the cloud.  That didn’t help him much though, as he was immediately targeted by Ram and taken down.

At the middle tower, Octavian took a calculated risk.  I had three of the four ladders covered (North, East and West ) by my gang members in the tower – Abraham and Abijah had the North tower, Josiah and Zohar had the East and Asa and Esau had the West.  The Southern ladder faced my ranged team, and would have been suicide to climb, so Octavian hadn’t placed anyone there.  Down below, waiting for their chance, Silverback had the Western ladder, Jugger had the Eastern ladder and Bloodaxe had the Northern ladder.

Charging up the Eastern or Northern ladders would have been suicide.  The shots would have all been at shot range, and would basically have required mainly 2's to hit, and at this stage in a campaign, and although I bemoan the fact that my gang has 'wasted' a lot of advances on extra initiative, my guys rarely miss a chance to pop a shot off at a moving target.  On top of that, even if my guys didn't wound, every hit would require Octavian to test against falling.  And at a height of 9" that wasn't something he felt much like doing.

To the East, Silverback would have had to get through a fusillade of autopistol and dum-dum stubber rounds before facing Josiah and Zohar in close combat.  If he managed to avoid pinning/falling off the ladder, then he might  have had an even fight with Josiah.  But unfortunately Zohar would also have been there, and so there was only one way that fight would end.  Silverback stayed down on the second level and went onto Overwatch.

There was a similar story at the Northern ladder.  Although Bloodaxe was obviously a much more fearsome fighter than Silverback, He would have to cope with Abijah’s hand flamer and Abraham’s plasma pistol at point blank range.  Given that Abraham has shooting skills comparable to a Space Marine Captain, and hand flamers being template weapons, don’t miss, Bloodaxe also remained downstairs, Hatred of Abraham notwithstanding.

The Western ladder was a different story.  I had spent Asa’s shooting on dropping the choke grenade on the previous turn, and while that was a good move, it meant that only Esau was covering the ladder.  Esau had a flamer, which would auto hit, and usually that is enough to deter most attackers.  But to get the shot off, he would need to pass an initiative check, and Octavian was desperate, so Jugger went for the charge up the ladder.

And Esau didn’t get the shot off fast enough.

Over to the left, I figured things were balanced in my favour.  Boaz would be charged by Rockface, and had a decent chance of holdig him.  Axehand and Grimskull would charge Jemuel, and Amon would take one of them down, or out of action (6 shots, BS4, I6 – there are fewer things more certain).  The one which Amon didn’t take down would be subject to Jemuel’s flamer.  Even if Jemuel missed, he had the Jump Back ability, which allows him to take an Initiative test at the start of the combat phase to Jump Back 2” to avoid combat altogether.  After that, on my turn, Jemuel and Amon would dispatch Axehand and Grimskull at their leisure if they survived.  In truth, Jemuel would probably be able to handle it on his own, and Amon could go onto Overwatch to take care of Rockface, if he managed to take out Boaz, which was far from likely.

So Rockface charged Boaz, and Axehand and Grimskull charged Jemuel. 

Boaz stopped Rockface dead in his tracks with a blast of flamer which took him down, but only did a flesh wound, so he was only pinned.  Nevertheless, he had stopped him and reduced his WS by 1 making him very vulnerable to a counter charge  (WS4 v WS6 + the charge).

Amon shot Axehand twice with his bolt pistol and twice with his autopistol.  Axehand saw the red dot laser sight of the bolt pistol  (“the Gaze of Amon”) and dodged one shot, but still took two wounds and went down.  Grimskull rounded the corner and Jemuel wasn’t quick enough on the trigger and Grimskull crashed into him.

Down the back, Ironfist was the only Goliath who could shoot at anyone and he lined Boaz up between the sights of his bolt pistol and fired.  This was one of those shots that requires a third party to determine whether or not it can be allowed, and Jonah made the call (and I accept it) that it was able to be made, albeit only because the model I use for Boaz has a gigantic-whatever-that-weird-ass-branch-of-Spanish-Catholicism-it is-that-has-those-big-white -hoods-that-inspired-the Redemptionist-models, and wounded him doing a flesh wound. I blame the current Pope.  This wouldn’t have happened back in Ratzinger’s day.

Jemuel went for his Jump Back and failed.  And that was less than ideal as it turned out, because even though Jemuel is otherwise okay in close combat, Grimskull was a lot better and hit him 3 times for 2 wounds taking him out of action.  And, that was all the more annoying becaue Grimskull has the impetuous ability which allows him to follow up 4”  which brought him into close combat with Amon. 

Back at the tower, Jugger slammed into Esau, and I’m not going to go into the grizzly details, but suffice it to say that Esau played no further part in the battle and Jugger followed up into Asa.

This is exactly the problem with all these late gen Yers - all the unwarranted positive reinforcement that their parents have heaped on them means that they're completely incapable of recognising when they're beaten and they just won't stop fighting against the inevitable.

Why can't they be more like the current English Cricket team?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:25:00 AM by Underhand »

Offline 13thMordReaper

• Nothing else puts fear into human hearts
« Reply #363 on: January 1, 2014, 08:34:15 PM »
Underhand, this is truly a gem. I found this thread three days ago and have been reading it in my spare time ever since, becoming sadder and sadder as I reached the most recent pages for fear that I would find it discontinued. But you've revived it at the perfect time! I wish the Orlock player wasn't such a wuss, I really enjoy playing them.

Anyways, good luck with the rest of the campaign. You have another fan here.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #364 on: January 2, 2014, 04:00:40 AM »
Why can't they be more like the current English Cricket team?

You can go off someone pretty quickly you know... :o

Offline bsucbe

« Reply #365 on: January 6, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
Could not be happier about the return of this thread! Welcome back Underhand!

Offline spafe

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #366 on: January 7, 2014, 03:44:00 AM »
Yay, it lives! seriously want to know how the battle ends though, keeping us hanging man!

Welcome back, this thread basically sorted my january blues, so for that, I thank you

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2014, 04:37:36 AM »
I am so glad I checked this again. I don't even visit this site or play 40k anymore, but I was bored one day, thought I'd come back to read the thread again. and I find THIS. Underhand has returned, the campaign has been revived. You actually have no clue how happy I am right now. Welcome back Underhand, well and truly ecstatic to hear from you again :)
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Underhand

« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2014, 06:49:38 AM »
Thanks guys.

Turn 4 continued:

With Octavian having got one of his hand to hand guys in amongst my decidedly weaker 3rd Vent team and with Jugger getting onto the top level of the middle tower, it would be fair to say that the fight had started to go a little sideways on me. 

That’s not to say that I was losing – I still had a lot of moves to make and just as you never judge a wicket until both teams have batted on it, the balance of a game of Necromunda can’t be determined until both sides have had their turn.

First order of business was to sort out all this bullamphetamine parrot going on down at the other end of the table with Boaz and Amon.  Given that Boaz was pinned and Amon was engaged in hand to hand with one of Octavian’s more competent combat monkeys, this could have turned into a complete disaster. 

For those who might have temporarily forgotten how pinning works, this is it:  If you get hit, but don’t go down, you get pinned.  At the start of your next turn, if you have a team mate within 2” you can test against initiative to recover from pinning and carry on as usual.  If you fail, or if you don’t have a friend close by, then you spend the turn pinned (cowering like a wuss).  You automatically recover at the end of your turn*.

Given that Boaz has only got I3, this was potentially bad.  And it got worse when he failed that roll, leaving Amon at the mercy of Grimskull.  If Amon went down, it would leave Boaz open to being charged by both Bonecrack and Grimskull on the following turn, and that would be a hard fight for him to win.

Luckily though, Boaz has Nerves of Steel, allowing him to retake a failed pinning test.  And he passed that test and rose up to his feet and turned around to Grimskull who was locked in close combat with Amon. The pilot light of his flamer flickered blue.

That was all well and good, but Bonecrack was back on his feet and would be in a position to cause trouble and needed to be dealt with.  Ram was the man for that job.  Ram is not only a very capable shooter these days, but with his Leap ability, he can move fast over obstacles and with his WS4, he is a genuine allrounder.  That extra manuverability was key in this case, since it let him get to the bottom of his tower and move another few inches onto the top of a barrel to get an unobstructed shot at Bonecrack.  And he got that hit with a bolt round, wounding him but only doing a fleshwound.

Once again, the Tower in the centre of the table was key to the battle.  Jugger had busted through my defensive ring, and that breach had to be plugged in such a way as to not allow other gaps to open up.  Far from easy.

At first glance, this would normally look like a pretty easy fight for my guys to win.  Afterall, Cawdor and Goliaths  are both close combat gangs, and my guys outnumbered his.  That is sound reasoning, but it wasn’t true in this case.  Normally, one on one, I would back my guys over House Bloodaxe – afterall, I have been collecting underdog experience nearly every game I have played, so individually, my guys are all more experienced than his guys. 

The problem is that I have generally been spreading my skills between Ferocity, Agility and Combat, (and also picking up Techno skills wherever possible) whereas Octavian has been concentrating purely on Combat skills.  Diversifying in that regard was a sound strategy for my gang, and it has ultimately served me well, but no strategy can cover every scenario, and right now, it looked like this might be a hole that my guys might not be able to fill.

The benefit of Combat skills in a close combat situation needs no explanation – Every Combat skill makes a fighter better.  Agility skills are more diverse in their application, but several of them assist in getting into close combat, and Sprint and Leap in particular assist greatly in getting the charge bonus, which is often decisive.  In fact, it is the access to Agility skills which makes Cawdor superior to Goliaths.  But in this case, they were irrelevant because the distance between the fighters was only about 4” at most.  Ferocity skills are morale based and tend to help a gang soak up damage and stay in the fight.  They are of only peripherall value in melee combat. 

So on one hand, my guys had a spread of Combat, Agility and Ferocity skills, and on the other Octavian had a choice of Combat, Ferocity and Muscle. Octavian has never been a fan of Ferocity skills (the shear weight of House Bloodaxe numbers has made morale unnecessary), and he abandonned the  Muscle skill table after the first few turns of the campaign, so Bloodaxe, Jugger and Silverback are all Gang Champion level gangers loaded up on Combat skills and well equipped to boot thanks to the incredible income that House Bloodaxe has enjoyed for so long. 

Normally, that wouldn’t be too much of a big deal for Abraham, Abijah, Asa, Josiah and Zohar (especially with a high ground and numbers advantage), because they all have the Agility skills which would give them the charge and grant them bonuses which would tip the balance in their favour, despite the inferiority of their equipment.  But in this case, my guys didn’t have the charge advantage.  Jugger had already taken out Esau (who actually is a bit of a Tremultuous O) and was in close combat with Asa, who really does depend on the charge bonus to be able to take down an opponent since most of his Combat skills are defensive in nature.

This meant that I had a decision to make.  Silverback was in position to charge up the Western side of the tower, but Josiah and Zohar had that covered.  Bloodaxe was ready to launch himself up the Northern ladder, but was covered by Abraham and Abijah and couldn’t defeat them both at once.  The problem was to the Eastern side.  Jugger had curbstomped Esau and was fighting Asa, and would probably ultimately win.  If I let that continue, then he would be able to charge one of my other guys, gain the advantage of the charge and maybe defeat them, but at least draw that guy away from the ladder, thus allowing his mate to fight my other guy one on one.  Obviously, I wasn’t going to stand by and let that happen.

So I decided to stomp down hard on Jugger and sent Abijah (from the North) and Josiah (West) into the melee to aid Asa.  The chances of Jugger surviving a single round against the three of them was very remote, and would force Joffrey to take a morale check, potentially winning me the territory, assuming I could take out one other Goliath that turn. 

Back up at my ranged team, Jacob simply had no one to shoot at because I had originally set him up towards the back of the tower to let Ram and Joshua soak up bullets.  As a result people at ground level were simply out of his line of sight, so I had to spend his turn moving up next to Isaac.  He could still shoot his backup lasgun though, but he missed his target who was still choking on gas.  Isaac stayed on Overwatch.

Abraham stayed on Overwatch over the northern ladder and Zohar stayed on Overwatch over the Western ladder.  The only other shooting I had was Boaz with his flamer.

Genius utilises a variety of different tools to expresses itself in a myriad of different ways.  Rembrandt used paint and brushes to turn a blank canvas into beautiful paintings. Michaelangelo used a hammer and chisel to turn slabs of marble into breathtaking sculptures.  Boaz uses a tank of promethium and a flamer unit to turn people into smouldering corpses. 

Boaz had two potential targets to express his genius on.  The first was Bonecrack, who was wounded and pinned and thus out of the fight for another turn.  The second was Grimskull, who was about to cleave off a chunk of Amon’s arse and hand it to him.  Grimskull then was the higher value target.  Of course flamers are not exactly the most discriminating of weapons, so that would mean hitting Amon too, making it a somewhat difficult decision. 

Not too difficult though.  Boaz blasted Grimskull with fire, also catching Amon who failed to dodge (in Necromunda, a model that is only partially covered by a template is only hit on a 4+, and I had positioned Boaz and the template so that Amon had a chance to avoid the hit).  This wasn’t quite as ruthless as it might have seemed.  Amon  has 3 wounds, and Grimskull has only one, so even in a worst case scenario, Amon wasn’t going down.  Boaz is also a Crack Shot, so he could reroll the wound table if Grimskull was lucky enough to only suffer a fleshwound.  Amon would then autoremove him in the combat phase.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work out that way.  The fire burnt a wound off Amon and Grimskull just took the roasting like a champion.  All those hours under the sunlamp at the Goliath gym must have paid off.

So it was time for the close combat phase.

Amon is not my best fighter at the best of times, and this was not the best of times, Grimskull getting 3 hits and wounding with all three.  That allowed him to follow up into Boaz using his Impetuous skill.  Boaz would be a much harder prospect than Amon, but that was still not an ideal situation.

Up on the middle tower, I gave Asa first crack at Jugger.  Jugger was the stronger fighter, but Asa has three wounds and Step Aside, giving him a 4+ save in close combat, so I figured that even if Jugger won, he wouldn’t be taking Asa down.  Jugger did win, and did not take Asa down, dealing only a single wound.  Josiah went next, and fumbled badly, losing the combat and also taking a wound.  I still had Abijah though, and with the charge and numbers bonuses he was rolling an extra three attack dice with +3 to hit, which was more than he needed to deal with Jugger, whom he bathed in fire with hand pistol before kicking him off the edge of the tower, which was quite sufficient to take him out of action.

End of Turn 4:  Up/Down/Out
House Bloodaxe:  11/2/5
Hand of Redemption:  9/0/4

*From the above, you can see how it is possible to ‘pin-lock’ an enemy out of the game, which is what Ram was doing to Smackhand earlier in the game.  Pin-locking via Overwatch (ie using a model on Overwatch to re-pin a model that had managed to recover from pinning at the start of its turn) was/is a weakness of the living (undead?) rulebook, and has been fixed up in the Necromunda Community Edition Rules to allow models pinned by Overwatch fire to automatically recover at the end of the turn on which they were pinned.  It is for this rule change, more than any other (and there are a multitude of other excellent changes) that I have repeatedly nominated Mr Anthony Case for a mention in the Queens Honours list for the last several years.  His repeated snubbing is an indictment on the entire British Honours system*.

*Honestly – Paul Collingwood scores a measley 17 runs in an Ashes test and he gets an MBE whereas Anthony Case spawns a new epoch in miniature wargaming and soldiers on, unrecognised, his genius unappreciated, forced to endure the drudgery of the endless cocaine and hooker parties of the Necromunda gaming subculture in total obscurity.  It’s fundamentally unjust.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:07:34 AM by Underhand »

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
*Honestly – Paul Collingwood scores a measley 17 runs in an Ashes test and he gets an MBE whereas Anthony Case spawns a new epoch in miniature wargaming and soldiers on, unrecognised, his genius unappreciated, forced to endure the drudgery of the endless cocaine and hooker parties of the Necromunda gaming subculture in total obscurity.  It’s fundamentally unjust.

Maybe they're just waiting for him to sort out the autogun...

Offline Underhand

« Reply #370 on: January 24, 2014, 06:53:07 AM »
For those not familiar with the mechanics of Necromunda, Killing Time is alluding to what is known as 'the Necromunda Conundrum' . 

It is the phrase used to by mathematicians to describe the inherent but undefinable imbalance among the Basic Weapons in the Necromunda armoury.  They include the Autogun, the Lasgun, the Shotgun and the Bolter.  It is generally recognised that imbalance exists, but where the imbalance lies and how to achieve equilibrium, and even whether that is even theoretically possible or morally desireable is a divisive issue.

In his article 'Finding Balance among Basic Weapons:  The Necromunda Conundrum' published in the November 1999 New Scientist magazine, Professor Stephen Hawking declared the matter to be an unsolveable mathematical mystery.  Dr William Hugh Woodin went so far as to describe it as a paradox. 

Professor Saharon Shelah, in his paper which subsequently won the Wolf Mathematics Prize in 2001, eloquently summarised it as:

What are Ranges, Strength Values, Save Modifiers, Ammo Scores, etc.? Are they real objects or are they simply relationships that necessarily exist in all structures? Although many disparate views exist regarding what a basic weapon is, the discussion may be roughly partitioned into two opposing schools of thought: Jervisism, which asserts that mathematical objects are real, and Caseism, which asserts that mathematical objects are merely formal constructions. This dispute may be better understood when considering specific examples, such as the "continuum hypothesis". The continuum hypothesis has been proven independent of the ZF axioms of set theory, so according to that system, the proposition can neither be proven true nor proven false. A Caseist would therefore say that the continuum hypothesis is neither true nor false, unless you further refine the context of the question. A Jevisist, however, would assert that there either does or does not exist a transfinite set with a cardinality less than the continuum but greater than any countable set.[citation needed] So, regardless of whether it has been proven unprovable, the Jervisist would argue that an answer nonetheless does exist.

While I suspect it may never be solved in our lifetimes, if I had to bet on who would be the man to solve it, then Case would be that man.

Offline spafe

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing how this ends, soo much suspense!

Offline Underhand

« Reply #372 on: February 1, 2014, 08:51:49 AM »
Turn 5

Turn 4 had not gone well for me.    And turn 5 didn’t start any better. The gas cloud which had been generally dicking with Octavian’s plans in relation to the 2nd loot counter cleared up.

That meant that the remaining members of the Goliath Tunnel team were free to either grab the loot and run for cover, or stick around and take a couple of shots at Ram, who was standing on top of a barrel and could not possibly have ben any more exposed. 

Isaac wasn’t going to let either of those scenarios play out without a fight though, and opened up on both of them with his heavy stubber, albeit with no effect at all, missing both targets. 

That left both Tunnelers free to do as they wished – shoot Ram, or Run the loot.  Octavian ran with the loot.  That was the smart choice.  For starters, Ram has 3 wounds, so even if both of his guys had hit and wounded, they still wouldn’t have taken him down.  Then they would have to have withstood a combined barrage from both Isaac and Jacob the following turn.  So running with the loot was the smarter choice.  They made it into cover under the main tower which would block LOS from my heavies, but would still allow Ram to manouever into a shooting position the following turn.

Down the back, Bonecrack had recovered from pinning.  He charged into Boaz who was already exchanging blows with Grimskull.

Up the top, Octavian bit the bullet and committed Silverback and Bloodaxe to the tower fight.  Silverback went first, hurling himself up the Eastern ladder.  Zohar missed with his stub gun and took the charge. 

Bloodaxe flung himself up the northern tower, launching himself at Abraham, who shot him in the chest with his plasma pistol, pinning and wounding him.  And that was lucky, because as tough as Abraham is, Bloodaxe would give Kharn the Betrayer a good fight, and I was not looking forward to Abraham having to deal with a hit from his poweraxe.

Down the back, Bonecrack had first crack at Boaz.  His charge bonus was largely cancelled out by the wounds he had previously suffered and Boaz got two hits on him, but not wounding with either.  Grimskull did better.  He only got one hit, but that was enough, wounding Boaz once and taking him out of action.

Up the top, Silverback had made the very dumb decision to try to take on Zohar singlehandedly, but got off comparatively lightly, taking only a single wound and staying in the fight.

Down the back, Rockfist recovered to a fleshwound and would be ready to run with the second loot counter the following turn.

On my turn, Abraham must have decided that three loot counters weren’t worth getting into an arse kicking contest with a shaved gorilla armed with a poweraxe and called it a day, bottling out and bringing a pretty good winning streak to an end.

End of Turn 5:  Up/Down/Out
House Bloodaxe:  12/1/5
Hand of Redemption:  8/0/5

Hard to say who really came out on top in that game.  Octavian had taken more casualties, but he also had more guys on their feet.  He also had two of the thrre loot tokens.  That probably weighs the scales in his favour, but had the game continued for another turn (and we were both taking bottle checks), Zohar probably would have been able to take out Silverback on his own, and Abraham would have been able to charge Bloodaxe with the help of Asa, Josiah and Abijah.  Or the four of them could have stood back and fired their guns.  Either way, the odds would have been against Bloodaxe surviving.

Regardless, I lost because I made some bad decisions.  The first, and worst was the composition of my Vent teams, especially the one up the back of the board.  Amon, Boaz and Jemuel were not a good combination, particularly how I played them.  Against a close combat gan like House Bloodaxe, a Vent team really needs to have at least one close combat badass. Boaz might fulfil that criteria against Delaques, Orlocks or Van Saar, but WS6 on its own doesn’t really stretch that far against a late campaign Goliath gang. 

The other problem was that Amon was the only multi wound model between them, which made me nervous about letting them get shot, since it would have seen a 4/2 match up against the Goliath team they were facing.  In future, I think I might swap or Jemuel out for Zohar.  Having Zohar and Abraham effectively deployed together up the top of the centre tower was probably overkill.

The other decision I regret was to keep my guys on overwatch at the top of the tower.  Silverback, Jugger and Bloodaxe were all formidable fighters, but I probably should have backed my better guys to beat them with the benefit of the charge.  Even one on one, which is all that the ladders would have allowed, Zohar would have dealt with Silverback comfortably, either Asa or Josiah could have at least held Jugger in place for a turn, given their Step Aside skill and Abraham against Bloodaxe would have been even.  I was probably the fact that I wasn’t confidfent of beating Bloodaxe with Abraham that I didn’t go for the charge.  I didn’t want to lose Abraham, and there was a real risk that I would have.  Hanging back was the easy choice, and probably not the right one at the end of the day.

Credit to Octavian though.  By the end of turn 3, I honestly though that I was cruising towards a comfortable victory.  He did well to turn it around over the next couple of turns.  I didn't seize the chance to ram home the victory by attacking with my tower teams, and he managed to squeeze a win through that tiny little bit of breathing space.

It won't happen again.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #373 on: February 1, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
Every day's a learning day they say.

Another great write up, and it's always nice to see some humility from you when you make mistakes so that we peons may learn something. Cheers UH!

Offline Underhand

« Reply #374 on: February 1, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »
Thanks Looshkin.

The Black Coats -v- The Second Stringers

Having taken the Van Saar Workshop in turn 15, The Black Coats used it as a staging point to launch an attack on the southern Van Saar Settlement. 

I missed the start of this game because I had left to go and have lunch.  When I came back, for reasons that remain unknown to me, both Gannicus and Jonah had taken off their shirts and were playing bare chested.  Wanting no part of that depravity, I left without seeing any more of the game.

Gannicus later told me that Jonah tried the same gameplan and tactics as the previous couple of games.  That just meant Ganicus was able to refine his tactics slightly more, and achieve an even more comfortable win.  Jonah was just lucky that he bottled out earlier than in the previous game, otherwise he would have lost another territory.

End of Turn 5:  Up/Down/Out
Second Stringers:  10/5/2
Black Coats:  13/1/2

« Last Edit: February 1, 2014, 07:52:52 PM by Underhand »

Offline spafe

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #375 on: February 4, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
unlucky on the loss. does sound like he pulled off some very sweet moves though.

the van saars sound like they need to learn a new trick!

Offline Underhand

« Reply #376 on: February 9, 2014, 05:53:18 AM »
He could not have played it any better down the back with Bonecrack, Rockface, Axehand and Axehand (and Ironfist) against Boaz, Amon and Jemuel, and that's what won him the game.

My games against Octavian often put me in mind of this song:

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia (live)

Offline spafe

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2014, 05:06:21 AM »
I hope we wont be waiting the better part of a year for the next turn again :-p

starting to crave my necro campaign update fix again lol

Offline celticgriffon

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2014, 01:38:55 AM »
Hey Underhand,

Greatings from Canada!  Like many I had to create an account to say great job on this campaign.  Not many players have the fortitude to keep something going this long.

I must ask, however, what ever happened to your girl or the junior law member?

Michael

Offline MingVas

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #379 on: March 22, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »
So glad to have this thread active again!  Here's hoping that we get another update soon.