News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lack of elder love?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline ChainAxe Enthusiast

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Too many to list.
Lack of elder love?
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:50:24 PM »
GW have ignored us for too long.  I started the sisters of battle monthly buy that got GW to take notice.  I think we need to do the same for the eldar, have your skepticism and reservations but trust me like no stranger you've ever trusted.  If we all buy an eldar model on February GW will be like 'wow look how many people like eldar' and they will plan for far more elder releaseases in the future.  Buy an eldar model on February and spread the word, otherwise never moan about not getting eldar releases as you will not have the right to moan.  I'm getting a squad of striking scorpions. 

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Lack of elder love?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 06:32:08 AM »
I don't think games workshop is unaware of the age of the model line for craftworld eldar.

There are a lot of kits worthy of updates, which means a lot of releases. We won't see anything Until the 9th edition codex is announced.

Their release schedule is planned 3-4 years in advance, so any reactions to actions we take wouldn't be noticed for a while.

With the necrons getting a completely new model line, I think it's not unreasonable to think their main enemy (the eldar) are looking for a similar update.

Big multi-week releases are pretty rare when not tied to an edition change, or some sort of event, but they won't release a slew of new kits without the Codex as well.

Not a matter of if, but when.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 07:01:21 AM »
The best Eldar models remain the Jes Goodwin designed Aspect Warriors, Rangers, and Seers from 1990.  Some of the more recent Jes Goodwin sculpts are also very good.  There is no compelling need for new ones in my opinion.  The current range is more than good enough.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 08:01:55 AM »
The best Eldar models remain the Jes Goodwin designed Aspect Warriors, Rangers, and Seers from 1990.  Some of the more recent Jes Goodwin sculpts are also very good.  There is no compelling need for new ones in my opinion.  The current range is more than good enough.

Gonna disagree, those models are extremely dated. The majority of the craftworlds line is in desperate need up a plastic update.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
My previous comments were based on the models being updated in metal.  If, and that is a big if based on past updates, GW decided to release all of the Aspect Warriors in plastic, I would be inclined to agree.  The caveat is that they would have to be designed by Jes Goodwin.  For me, no other GW designer has ever managed to capture the Aspect Warriors in the way in which he has been able to.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »
They will only be updated in plastic. Games workshop hasn't released metal models in almost a decade.

I don't know if Jess still is designing models directly, he certainly has imput on them I'd imagine, but he's more of a game developer now.

I thought the plastic banshees looked fantastic.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 05:37:27 PM »
My previous comments were based on the models being updated in metal.  If, and that is a big if based on past updates, GW decided to release all of the Aspect Warriors in plastic, I would be inclined to agree.  The caveat is that they would have to be designed by Jes Goodwin.  For me, no other GW designer has ever managed to capture the Aspect Warriors in the way in which he has been able to.

Clearly the Aspect Warriors need to be redesigned to be massively overdesigned with greebles and pouches and thingamajigs everywhere! ;)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »
So you're saying we need to get Rob Liefeld onto the design team as soon as possible?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:06 PM »
Well, he's evidently already on the AoS team, and working on the Primaris and Necrons, so it shouldn't be too hard. :P

Nah, joking.

Those models have feet, after all.

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »

I've been collecting since 2nd edition, so I have a lot of love for the models in the current catalogue but they absaloutely need updated.  New players will not have the same love for all the old models nor the nostalgia for them.  Karandras is one of my favourite models but I know that it looks way outdated and compared to the quality of models now it is not a good sculpt.  Also plastic is always better than metal or failcast. 

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 04:18:23 PM »
Plastic is better than GW's metal miniatures, yes, but swapping from metal to plastic Eldar Aspect Warriors is only a clear advantage if the new sculpts are a significant improvement.  In your other topic, for example, you question the quality of the plastic Howling Banshees, so the material is only part of the story.

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 07:26:46 PM »
You are just being silly now. So what you are saying is GW should never update models because they might end up being worse.  Also "questioning" the banshees, that is just my opinion many people will think they look better than the old ones but I can think of a good few models that look worse than their predecessors, that surely isn't a reason to not update models.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:42:00 PM by ChainAxe Enthusiast »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 07:45:47 PM »
I've been collecting since 2nd edition, so I have a lot of love for the models in the current catalogue but they absaloutely need updated.

100%, anything that still has a sculpt from 2nd edition, can do with an update, just not whoever did the update for Lelith lol.

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 07:59:18 PM »
Yeah, we as eldar players are lucky in that we have models that are really old that still hold up today but yeah like you said the 2nd edition models definitely need changed, we need new warp spiders, swooping hawks, dark reapers stat, striking scorpions and fire dragons still look good but their static poses really need changing and we need new phoenix lords pretty badly.  I mean that's all that desperately needs updated, it isn't much to ask with the avalanche of new Primaris models that have made it into the catalogue, even for a new army they have had a ridiculous amount of new models.  I knew SM's were popular but damn.  Don't get me wrong I collect space wolves but even I'm like "jesus GW, can you stop with this and give other factions some love" lol
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:01:16 PM by ChainAxe Enthusiast »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 10:03:41 PM »
It would be nice if they just alternated between, imperial and xenos release. They don't have to wait for new codexes, the can drop new rules in white dwarf and you know make WD worth buying lol.

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 10:24:18 PM »
Yeah but they'd have to commit to actually making xenos models or imperial models (that aren't SM's), which is the problem.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:25:25 PM by ChainAxe Enthusiast »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 04:36:44 AM »
You are just being silly now. So what you are saying is GW should never update models because they might end up being worse.  Also "questioning" the banshees, that is just my opinion many people will think they look better than the old ones but I can think of a good few models that look worse than their predecessors, that surely isn't a reason to not update models.

I merely pointed out that your other topic contradicts the point that you were making in this topic.  That is not being silly, as you put it, rather it is highlighting an apparent inconsitency in your position which you have addressed here by trying to claim that a majority would claim that they are better models.  Given that it's only ever feasible to speak for ourselves in discussions such as these, unless you have evidence that there is a majority that prefers the new Howling Banshee plastic models, your position seems rather a curious one to take.

Yeah, we as eldar players are lucky in that we have models that are really old that still hold up today but yeah like you said the 2nd edition models definitely need changed, we need new warp spiders, swooping hawks, dark reapers stat, striking scorpions and fire dragons still look good but their static poses really need changing and we need new phoenix lords pretty badly.  I mean that's all that desperately needs updated, it isn't much to ask with the avalanche of new Primaris models that have made it into the catalogue, even for a new army they have had a ridiculous amount of new models.  I knew SM's were popular but damn.  Don't get me wrong I collect space wolves but even I'm like "jesus GW, can you stop with this and give other factions some love" lol

The current Aspect Warrior sculpts date back to fourth edition, not second edition, with the exception of the Swooping Hawks (third edition) and Warp Spiders (second edition).  Space Marine bias is nothing new and it's just one of those things that we have to come to accept as Eldar players.  Space Marines are the major money-makers for GW, so it makes sense that they receive preferential treatment.

There is no problem of course with expressing a desire for the Eldar range to be updated.  I don't agree though that the sense of urgency is as great as you suggest.  Very good quality plastic Aspect Warriors would be very welcome.  However, the metal models still hold their own.  Either way, I am sure that once the new codex is released at some point in the future, you will get your wish :).

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 08:26:15 AM »
It would be nice if they just alternated between, imperial and xenos release. They don't have to wait for new codexes, the can drop new rules in white dwarf and you know make WD worth buying lol.

My expectation is that when the Dark Angels codex drops, that'll come with the last of the announced new Space Marine kits (eradicators, heavy intersessors, speeder), and then we won't see more Space Marine kits for a while.

Granted, I don't expect to see any 40k releases with the same scale as Necrons or Space Marines in the next while either. I'd love to see a huge Necron-esque Craftworlds release, but I can't see that happening so soon after the Necrons and Space marines, and especially with the delayed release schedule moving forward due to Covid.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 03:32:52 PM »

I merely pointed out that your other topic contradicts the point that you were making in this topic.  That is not being silly, as you put it, rather it is highlighting an apparent inconsitency in your position which you have addressed here by trying to claim that a majority would claim that they are better models.  Given that it's only ever feasible to speak for ourselves in discussions such as these, unless you have evidence that there is a majority that prefers the new Howling Banshee plastic models, your position seems rather a curious one to take.

The current Aspect Warrior sculpts date back to fourth edition, not second edition, with the exception of the Swooping Hawks (third edition) and Warp Spiders (second edition).  Space Marine bias is nothing new and it's just one of those things that we have to come to accept as Eldar players.  Space Marines are the major money-makers for GW, so it makes sense that they receive preferential treatment.

There is no problem of course with expressing a desire for the Eldar range to be updated.  I don't agree though that the sense of urgency is as great as you suggest.  Very good quality plastic Aspect Warriors would be very welcome.  However, the metal models still hold their own.  Either way, I am sure that once the new codex is released at some point in the future, you will get your wish :).

It doesn't contradict what I have said.  If I said that the models need updated because 'new model designs are always far better' then you'd be right.  Design and art is subjective, its impossible for designers to always consistently make amazing models and top every model before them, but that has nothing to do with the need for new updated models its only a consequence of updating them, but to suggest like you have that we shouldn't update them because they might turn out worse isn't a valid argument for not updating models.  You can't know if the new models are going to be a significant improvement like you said so through extrapolation you must think that about all new models regardless of the faction or army and you then implicitly believe that GW should never make new models as they might run the risk of being worse. As for plastic being better that statement was made in and of itself as a pro for updated models.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:45:57 PM by ChainAxe Enthusiast »

• Ancient
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »
Gotta agree, even if it is stylistically the same, plastic is so much better than metal. There is absolutely no comparison. Ideally every kit should be plastic, and we would have no Resin or Metal kits.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria