News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What kind of RPG do u wanna do?  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Gunner1116

What kind of RPG do u wanna do?
« on: September 4, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »
Rofl, apparently nobody wants to play an RPG where their character is extremely liable to die. I understand, but I thought it would have been really fun. I don't really know what you guys want to play, so please just post what kind of RPG you want to play and i will see if I can make something work.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2011, 08:58:30 PM by Gunner1116 »
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive."

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
Re: What kind of RPG do u wanna do?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
Well it's not like it didn't sound fun. I was busy when you first posted that and didn't have time.

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
I just figured that some people wouldn't have liked the fact that their character might die before even getting to fire their weapon. The more work I put into it the more i realized that you guys wouldn't have a chance unless you where either really lucky or a really good tactitian.
---------

Meanwhile I had another idea that I have been fiddling with. It would be a Post Apocalyptic RPG, almost like fallout, but different in the world and people. If you guys are interested, I will post more about it.

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
Ive been working out a plot for a new star wars RPG. Im hoping to pick up Jobob and WisdomLS again as there characters are core to the story, but i'd love for some fresh faces :)

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »
A couple of things from my days as a P&P GM...

1) Dead characters don't tell good stories.  :o

Pretty straight forward and probably the most important thing, as a GM you're telling a story. If everybody dies on page one the story doesn't get told.

2) A GM should never kill a character, killing a character should be down to the player.  ???

The character that walks into the unmarked mine field is killed by the GM. The character that walks into the marked mine field is killed by the player. No 'marking' the mine field doesn't have to involve a sign post that says "Mine field", half a dead cow in the middle of a field does the same job, also if the players encounter other traps on the run up to the big one it should teach them to be searching for such things.

3) Death should always mean something.  :'(

Again the player who's character steps on a mine they have no way of knowing is there is likely to be... annoyed... The player who gets to make a last stand against overwhelming odds while their team mates escape will feel... heroic. There's nothing wrong with a character dying, just don't make it cheap.

4) GM>Dice.  8)

Don't get to attached to dice rolls. If the players need to do something to progress the story then let them do it, don't let a bad dice roll kill them off. That said there can still be a cost, the rules may say that the player climbing the cliff who fails a strength test should fall to their death but there's no reason why that character couldn't ditch their backpack (Food, ammo, primary weapon) to be able to hold on. A character who falls to their death does nothing to enhance the story, one who suddenly needs to find food and water does.

As a final thing: Run the game you want to run. A GM who doesn't enjoy the game they are running is normaly a bad GM. Chances are you'll find players willing to give the game a go no matter what topic you pick.  :D

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
Sure, i would definately be up for a Star Wars RPG! I love the series. Would it be the newer Star Wars RPG or would it be like the old one from West End Games?
----------
I was hoping to see one or more of the characters start to excell at surviving in Vietnam and then form the story mainly about them. The other characters would play a large role, as well in shaping the platoon that all the characters would be a part of.

Ya, I wasn't going to have any dice rolls. And I wasn't going to kill off the characters unless they did something that could easily get them killed. Like if they stood up out of cover to throw a grenade or if they charged an MG pit with no suppressing fire.

Thanks for the tips though. You did make me realize that in order to make the story better I would have to let the players "kill themselves" or do something not tactically sound. Of course, I am not saying that if you sprint out of cover to haul an injured comerade to cover you will instantly die. It will just be harder to stay alive.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:11:18 PM by Gunner1116 »

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:51 PM »
I'm always up for a post-apocalypse game ;D
Starwars is great to ;)

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
Honestly, I didn't sign up for your game because I wasn't terribly keen about the idea of playing in the Vietnam War.

I've actually been hankering for a post-apocalyptic, Fallout-ish game though, so if you started one of those up you could definitely count me in.

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
Sure, i would definately be up for a Star Wars RPG! I love the series. Would it be the newer Star Wars RPG or would it be like the old one from West End Games?

it be more along the lines of the newer Star wars RPG. The D20 system from Wizards of the coast. most of the time  though, i just do what you do with the Spec ops game. As long as you dont royal screw up, then you'll usually be ok, unless the characters really screw the pooch.

Gunner, Nightwalker, if you two are intersted i'll save you spots. The post should be coming soon about the details. I got 2 plots in mind but i want the players to have choices on which one they play

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »
Working more on the Post Apocalyptic RPG. I have been thinking about character sheets and stuff, and i have decided that there are not going to be any character classes. Just classes of weapons. Your proficiency with certain types of weapons will be one of the deciding factors in combat. Speaking of combat I want you to role play it out a bit. Kind of like in Rems RPG, but a little less free. For example here is kind of what I will be looking for:

A piece of rebar, brown and flaky with rust, sliced cleanly through the air where Staerks head had just been. He had ducked just in time to avoid the bandits blow. His adversary was thrown slightly off balance because of the force of the strike. His fist rocketed into the air filled chest of the bandit forcing all of the air out. The bandit stumbled backwards and taking care not to lose his advantage Staerk bull rushed him, hoping to knock him to the ground.

There will be some degree of freedom and I am by no means telling you to rely on me to determine everything. You know the abilities of your characters and what they could do in a fight. The only time I will really be strict about you guys "attempting" rather than "doing" is when you guys fight tougher opponents and begin to aquire firearms.

The classes of weapons will be obvious. For example: Small Knives and Heavy Blunt meele weapons are weapon classes. There is the size factor (Small and Heavy) and the type of weapon (Knife or Blunt).

I have to get to sleep tonight, will post more about it tomorrow.

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #10 on: November 7, 2011, 01:09:32 AM »
fallout roleplay, heelllll yea
you can most difinitely count me in
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!