News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: artworks from StudioColrouphobia  (Read 28313 times)

Offline StudioColrouphobia

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
Re: artworks from StudioColrouphobia
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 05:44:56 AM »
Cheers guys, yes, the knife is straight, it's a sign of office and as such standardized...

I got through to the final stage of that Art-jam, next up is a Hero of the IG an so I'll do Al'Rahem of the Tallarn Raiders.

I also started a "blog" here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/User%3AStudioColrouphobia
about my graphic novel... incase it interests anyone.
www.studiocolroupho bia.net takes commissions.

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #21 on: April 7, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »
Here is a WiP of my next personal painting.

Im going to play safe and put a little space right here to make sure that you guys get to read and understand that this, this is NOT going to be safe for work.

I wanted to get away from PG-rating, and as such there will be a huge deal invested in this interpretation of Angron, but me.
Im basing myself on what I have read, and what I have seen so far. And then Im making my own interpretation of him. This might not jive with everyone, but its my own stuf so I get to paint how I want to :P

Ok, space here. NSFW below. And as the WiP images progress, it will get less and less safe for work, you have been warned.

space

there;

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #22 on: April 7, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
He looks properly pissed all right. Is this meant to be pre- of post-Chaos?

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #23 on: April 7, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »
Not really decided yet, atleast it is pre-demon.... But the way I read about him, he sort of looked very chaosy even before he went chaos....

We'll see.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #24 on: April 7, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »
Great stuff...

A few questions - what tablet do you use, and particularly what size is it... I was interested in getting one to experiement and create artwork with but wanted something BIG. Didn't really see anything that I liked, and its so difficult to know a good one from a bad one when browsing a catalogue or what have you.

Secondly, what program are you using? I don't recognise it? Do you use a range of different programs for different aspects, or is it an all in one.

Finally, I see you use Spotify, which is great - I have it on at work all the time!

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #25 on: April 7, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »
I use WACOM Intuos4, but up until not long ago I used a Trust of their biggest size. Its definately not a bad one and at a very decent prize.
WACOM is more of a professional grade, especially the Intuos and Cintiq series.

The programme is Photoshop CS5.

I tend to use PS alot, but I also paint in Painter, use various programmes such as Alchemy for sketching, AfterEffects for....after effects and blender for basic 3d studd to paint over.

Whatever works really.

Yeah, I have had SPotify since it came out, benefit of coming from the country of origin :D

Plus, noone else in Belgium has it because its no due out until this summer here... ;)

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
Re: artworks from StudioColrouphobia[NSFW]
« Reply #26 on: April 8, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »
newt WiP

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #27 on: April 9, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »

Cloesup of face at the current state....

Got some critique that he wasnt looking angry enough.

Also, an update on timeline:

Before Demonhood- after Heresy

Also, after reading "after Da'shea" I decided that Angron would have naturally read eye-sockets because of the exhaustion the Agression-chip would excert even on a primarch, as well as the constant rubbing of the eyes whenever he thought something was stupid or dishonorable (he does that everytime he gets annoyed by the Emperor or the 'paper men'). Rubbing eyes with bloodied hands/gauntlets will fill sockets with bloodstains...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: April 9, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
That's certainly gritty enough. The partial de-scalped head and blood-stained eye-sockets... holy crap.

If there is one thing I might see as needing improvement (from the perspective of an Average Joe looking at a it) it is that his lower lip is... sorta pouting. I don't know what to say really, it detracts a wee bit from the otherwise psychopathic look.

Anyways, looking forward to how this is going to evolve, I'm pretty sure this'll become how many people view Angron after seeing it.

Offline Kaiizen

• Best Painted Fire Warriors
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 03:58:08 AM »
I think there are a couple small things that are keeping you from achieving the intensity you're looking for here. They might not be easy fixes at this stage in the illustration process though.

Overall I have a couple minor gripes with the mouth, nothing too off putting but I'm not really 'buying' it. I think the biggest distraction for me is that the way the shadows on the teeth on the right side play off of the lips and cheek. As it is it looks like the cheek is being forcefully pulled away from the teeth there leaving a gap in the mouth with no discernible reason why. That or the teeth are very very lopsided and are drastically different on the other side of the mouth. Like I said though, this is a minor gripe but I thought I would mention it for the sake of being complete.

Now the eyes, they actually look wonderful overall. While they are technically very well done, in order to get the sense of madness/anger I think you're looking for you might want to consider showing more of the 'whites' of his eyes. Showing more of the whites will really push the 'crazed psychotic' envelop and stop him from being just aggressive to mad with rage. Barring that you could also exaggerate the furrow in the eyebrows a bit more. You have such great wrinkles in the bridge of the nose extending down into the lower nose, I'd love to see more of that detail elsewhere in the face.

Overall, excellent work. Keep it up.

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
Quick intermission:

Concept of a skitarii for Yodhrin from Warseer:

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
Wow! O.o That's pretty damn cool.

I guess I never spent too much time thinking about how the Skitarii would look, though I guess I viewed them less... romanesque, or clerical, and more baroque. All the naked skin is a bit hard for me to buy in a combat situation, though if this is some sort of dress used inside Forge-Temples and the likes I can totally buy it. Definitely cool though.

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 04:22:19 AM »
Cheers,

I would like to take a moment to explain some of my choices around this image.

_-Character-_

Bloodspiller
I wanted the character to have the characteristics of a true follower of Khorne. What does this mean? Well, in my opinion that means a person who will spill blood for glory, spill blood for honour, spill blood for sustenance, spill blood for healing, spill blood for survival...and all of the above in the name of Khorne.
That might sound very bloody and gory, but Im aproaching this from a psychological point of view, and I dont mean that there wont be blood (obviously there is, you've seen the WiPs) but rather I am trying to show a man who spends all of his waking hours spilling blood. Not all times it will be in a frenzy, some times it will be in joy, in sadness in straining situations and when tired.

TechnoGladiator
Angron has the agressive-augmenting chips stuck to his head. These are meant to augment his agressiveness whilst fighting as a Gladiator. They also make him get uncontrollable fits of rage, which will, after years, decades, centuries be tiresome, even for a Primarch.

Skulltaker
This is more visual, there will be skulls, lets keep it at that.

_-Style-_

Gladiator
I am trying my best to make the armour of Angron look very much greco-roman gladiator-styled. But I cannot do that completely since this is set in the distant future, far out in space.
Images by Wayne England and the cover of Tales of Heresy have stood as influence for some of the details, such as the Bevor stretching behin his head, partially shielding the cabling from behind. The two romanesque chest-shields are also based upon Roman and Greek armour adornments.

Mola Ram
I wanted the character to have certain traits that just looked... characterful an ambigous.
I used several faces as reference for this character, one of the ones that you lot probably had no clue about is that of Mola Ram (played by Amrish Puri) from Temple of doom.

The character is just perfect as inspiration for Angron- shrinking heads, taking out hearts and running a bloodcult, plus he has some features that just made me think Angron- The broad chin with high cheekbones, the dark around the eyes and the red paint on the head - aching to the same thing on all known illustrations of Angron (before Demonprince).

I am still altering the face somewhat though for the most part I am done with it, I am not going to give him more colour like Mola Ram, I dont want it to be a copy, rather just inspired by him. And thats how I use ref nowadays, as inspiration and to get light correct.

Other references
I took a lot of inspiration from painters Kevin Llewellyn and Michael Hussar, aswell as Rubens and Rembrandt (mostly their way of using Chiaroscuro, a way of painting very dark darks and very bright brights- to simplify it alot).
This explains my colours alot.

White Armour?
Yes, I am painting Angrons armour White and Brass/Copper, with small patches of other colours such as red and green.
The reason for this is actually a personal preference based upon something fellow artist an friend Nicholás Giancola (Aerion-the-Faithful) said after having painted Angron:
"There's an official representation of Angron, which I didn't hold too close to my chest when coming up with my own vision. To me, his gladiatorial past was paramount to the character as well as the whole anger stance he should have. On top of that, I also envisioned this Primarch to be like Alpharius: closer to the rank and file soldier than high up above them. Getting dirty is a must for a leader who's watched in horror how all of his battle brothers were slaughtered in his homeworld.

There are a few details I'd like to point out and which hold particular interest to me: the gory axe versus the white of his armour are something I love. I thought about the grim fact that white armour would likely be moist with blood all the time, making it more noticeable and terrible to behold; I chose it over the gold of the official."

This stuck with me, and even though I'm not going towards a blueish tangentcolour to the white, the idea stays the same- Blood just stands out more on white.

I just hope there will be enough white armour to show it when I'm done...

There, some reasoning behind how I paint this personal painting.

and here is the update;

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
Ooh, I'm a fan of Aerion's works of 40k, especially his narrow-faced, hawk-nosed Corax.

There's a lot of good reasoning behind you style choices though. I think the view of "anger-getting-tiresome" is an interesting angle. At some point, I guess violence and killing becomes more of a lifestyle and almost compulsive action rather than requiring any cause or such. (That being said, Khorne is of course the God of the emotion anger, as opposed to its physical manifestations.)

Offline hazelnice

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
This image is done.
(Image removed from quote.)

In a couple of days (I hope) I'll post something completely new.

Unti then, I hope you will make do with the Unknown Terminator, from my (hopelessly) delayed Graphic Novel abut the ngels Cruentis and Inquisitor Damien.

Pretty look good, nice finish stuff!

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 08:01:17 AM »
Long time no post. The Angron Piece is on hiatus for a little while, need to get some stuff out of my system first.
So I have been painting on this personal project for over five years now. The Angels Cruentis Graphic Novel.
Here is a little update on that one:
I have been busy with deadlines but finally managed to paint some more on the last personal piece I have.

Adding Sosol, the chapters Master Librarian. As you can see he isnt completely done, and neither are the other figures. but it shows some progress ;)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
Wow, stunning quality, I must say. O.o

I remember reading a blog entry of yours, I believe, on the design of these guys, drawing inspiration from Islamic art, Hebrew angeology and adding the churchbell as a Christian influence. I like the churchbell, very striking.

That being said, who's the guy in the robes holding the helmet? Could it be a Watcher in the Dark? Or just a Chapter Serf?

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
Hey Goodspeed, yeah, that is right, I have a blog on these over at DakkaDakka.

The one holding the helmet is just  chapter serf.
To my knowledge, not even the Unforgiven have any Watchers in the Dark running around their chapter. So unless these guys where actual Dark Angels, they wouldnt have any.

Cheers!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
To my knowledge, not even the Unforgiven have any Watchers in the Dark running around their chapter

Yeah, that was my impression too. :)

• Freelance Illustrator
    • Studio Colrouphobia
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »

More Sosol.

Not done by a longshot.