News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62081 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2018, 05:08:06 AM »
As for the quilt, would a highlight of flayed one flesh help?

It is difficult for me to say what would work as I am not a master of any of the painting techniques and for some reason it is difficult to see any detail in your photos when zoomed in.

In the picture on GW's Webstore you can clearly see that that the collar/ruff is quilted and based on that I would guess that instead of a highlight maybe a layer of something and a highlight would work to better delineate the quilted areas. I am probably wrong though and a highlight might work all on its own.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/920x950/99070205012_ArkanautAdmiral01.jpg

Image tags removed to avoid hotlinking - Iris.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:45:47 PM by Irisado »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »
I think I may have made a mistake in my choice of colours for it.  It’s Rakarth Flesh, washed in Reikland Fleshshade, layered in Zandri Dust and highlighted in Ushabti Bone.  Because they were the only ones I had to work with.

I probably shouldn’t have used those last two.  I’ll need to do something, as it’s letting the whole thing down.  :P

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »
I probably shouldn’t have used those last two.  I’ll need to do something, as it’s letting the whole thing down.  :P

Not sure what to say to that. I know that Zandri Dust is base paint rather than a Layer paint and Ushabti Bone is a Layer paint rather than an Edge paint but I have no idea if it makes any real difference if they are used for other purposes.

To echo the legend that is GW Duncan did you thin your paints?

"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
Did I thin my paints?  Yes.  Did I thin them enough?  Since your asking, probably not.  :-\

I’m trying to work out if it’s salvageable, or if I need to start over.  Getting a headache over it.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
I am sure that in real life the quilted area looks fine but sometimes photos just don't work well enough. Once you are playing your tournament I am sure that you will be happy with your Admiral.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
Hey folks, tomorrow is the big day.  First tournament with the Overlords.  I’ve seen the other lists and I...ain’t too confident.  :P

Here’s my list:

Barak Zilfin
There’s no trading with some people footnote.

admiral (general) with fleet master trait

aether khemist with Aethershock earburster

10 Arkanauts with skypike, volley gun and light sky hook.  Captain has aetherflare pistol.

10 Arkanauts with skypike, volley gun and light sky hook.  Captain has aetherflare pistol.

9 Endrinriggers with light skyhook, grapel gun and drill cannon.

Ironclad with Great Sky cannon and aether aerofins

Frigate with heavy sky cannon

Not the most competitive list.  It’s mostly decided by what I actually have available to play with.  Here goes nothing.  :P

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
Certainly not an optimized list. I'd never rage weapon upgrades on endrinriggers, as their basic melee weapon is better.

For the company, you should try and find something skyhook bits on eBay or something. Skypikes and vollyguns are really bad on those guys. X3 skyhooks is the way to go.

I'd say in the future too, I'd probably drop one frigite, and add in more endrinriggers. One and an ironclad is enough boats (and points spent in boats!)

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »
At this rate, I’m on target to have all the troops painted by the end of the week, but the ships are a different story.  March 25th is closing in fast.  :-\

Ironclad with Great Sky cannon and aether aerofins

Did you manage to get your boats painted on time then or did you have to play with unpainted models?

Hope you enjoyed the tournament.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »
Certainly not an optimized list. I'd never rage weapon upgrades on endrinriggers, as their basic melee weapon is better.

Funny you should mention that.  None of the special weapon endrinriggers survived long enough to even do anything.  It confirms that I was right to assemble them without them (it was actually Skywardens standing in for them).

More skyhooks is definitely the way.  I would have gone with those but it was wysiwyg for equipment.  And yeah, I will be dropping a frigate from now on.

@ Alienscar

I regret to say I didn’t get the ships painted on time.  However, it ultimately didn’t matter.  Nobody kicked up a stink.  In fact, as the only overlord player there they were more interested in just seeing them.  They were temporarily assembled to include the balloons and weapons.  Enough to give a picture of a complete ship.

As for the tourney, I had a blast!  And I meant a lot of great people too!  And I’ll recount it here.

My first game was weirdly against my usual opponent and his Stormcast, with predictable results.  It was the Total Conquest mission.  That’s the one with the weird ‘stepped’ deployment zones.  I used my deepstriking Ironclad to launch an attack on the front and back of the enemy.  Unfortunately, thanks to a single gyrph hound, my opponent was able to shoot his judicators at me before I did anything, and destroyed my plan right off the bat.  And in a game were I made short work of his lord Celestiant with only a frigate and some fighters too.  Major major major defeat for me  with only 120pts worth of troops left standing.  Not the best start I’m afraid.

My second game was a mixed bag.  It was against Tzeentch, and initially it got off to a great start.  It was Knife To The Heart.  I used fleetmaster to throw my opponent off on deploying by moving the Ironclad right across the board to his objective.  On my first turn I killed a gargant, two units of marauders, a big chunk of pink horrors and severely injured the lord of change.  I was in a position to win by capturing objects on turn 2.

But I lost the roll for initiative, and then everything went to hell.  My opponent used his destiny dice for spell casting and demon returning shenanigans.  Oh, and the dice decided to say screw you calamity and fail me for the rest of the game.  For example, an ironclad, an admiral and two units of Arkanauts couldn’t kill a unit of marauders in both combat and shooting for two turns.  My opponent then captured the objectives and I lost.  But had I won that initiative roll it would have been a clear win for me.  This game demonstrated that even great tactics can’t help you with bad dice.  :P

My final game was against a moonclan heavy destruction army, and the mission was Battle For The Pass.  I gave my opponent the first turn.  They managed to send a gaint half way across the board in one go due to their alligance ability.  But I killed it, along with the Ironjaw on the Maw-Krusha, then launched an attack on both middle objectives at once.  But surprise, fanatics!!!  They did a lot of damage, and on one flank, were there was a unit of Ironjaw brutes backing them up, my frigate was destroyed and the fighters routed.  But on the other side, it was me who routed them, and then the Ironclad, using the Admirals master of the skies ability, I was able to put my Ironclad right into his deployment zone, shooting and destroying everyone around it, and with the embarked units eventually capturing his objective.  In the end, we tired on objective points (13 all) but I won a minor victory on points (I had 1360pts left, he had...considerably less.  ;))

I finished third from the bottom of the table, with 15 points.  Could have been worse though.  And at least I managed one win in the end.  It was a real learning experience, and great fun to boot too.

We’ll be meeting up again in May, and I’ll be coming back with a better list.  Drop a frigate, take more endrinriggers, and spam skyhooks.  That should work.  ;D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #149 on: April 3, 2018, 10:08:57 AM »
I regret to say I didn’t get the ships painted on time.  However, it ultimately didn’t matter.  Nobody kicked up a stink.  In fact, as the only overlord player there they were more interested in just seeing them.  They were temporarily assembled to include the balloons and weapons.  Enough to give a picture of a complete ship.

How are your ships shaping up now Calamity? Did you finally decide on which shade of green to go with?

I finished third from the bottom of the table, with 15 points.  Could have been worse though.  And at least I managed one win in the end.  It was a real learning experience, and great fun to boot too.

Sounds like you had a real cool experience and learnt a lot about your Overlords at the same time.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #150 on: April 3, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
How are your ships shaping up now Calamity? Did you finally decide on which shade of green to go with?

In terms of assembling them, they’re looking a lot better.  However, unfortunately I haven’t yet managed to decide on what shade (or ratio) of green to go with.  It’s the second last great obstacle for me to overcome (the last one being how to base the army).  Seriously, like the ships themselves, I’m up in the air.  :P

Sounds like you had a real cool experience and learnt a lot about your Overlords at the same time.

Yes on both accounts!  This was my first tournament in years, and only the third one I’ve ever attended.  I’m hooked now! 

I’ve learnt (even though I’ve been told before) that special weapons are to be avoided on endrinriggers, that the ships are a points sink, that you should only take skyhooks, and that I can win if the dice would just play ball!  ;D

Oh yeah, I meant to post these up sooner.  It’s every Arkanaut I’ve got painted so far:

This is what I presented in the tournament.  By the time the next one rules around, I hope to have everyone painted.  I’m aware that the photos aren’t the best though.  I need something better than a phone. :P

Those ships though...what am I going to do?  All green?  Would that work?

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #151 on: April 4, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »
Those Arkanauts look terrific Cap! I'm not surprised the folks didn't mind the unpainted ships at the tournament; not when the foot soldiers look so damn impressive!

I'm glad you had fun at the tournament and learned a lot about your army. I'm sure it's only onwards and upwards from here on out!

As for the ships...all green would be very, very, very bold. I think you'll need a counterpoint to break up the colours. Something neutral like a cream (It works for the Dark Angels, right?), then the metallic parts will contrast well with each of the neutral and green elements. Whichever way you go, make sure you get some pictures!

Great updates Cap.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #152 on: April 6, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
Thanks for the recipe on the bronze dude. Seeing more and more of them has just confirmed it as my favourite bronze I've seen :) must experiment more with highlighting bronzes with silvers.

Also, for your quilted section, could you take some of te highlighting technique for chequer patterns on harlequins to give each diamond more definition?
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #153 on: April 7, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
@ Looshkin

Thanks mate!  :)

I think I found inspiration for the ships; the Alexander von Humboldt:

Imagine something like that.  ;D

@ Ynneadwraith

You’re welcome!  Really happy you like it!  :)

And that sounds like a good idea!  I should check out the harlequins around here for ideas.  The quilted areas are just like the harlequins padding right?
« Last Edit: April 7, 2018, 08:15:50 PM by Calamity »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #154 on: April 7, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »
I really love the idea of painting those ships. They allow such a wealth of variation. But, they have a load of detail. You could get lost in them for a long time!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #155 on: April 9, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »
They look amazing Tangi. You are knocking it out of the park with your metal work. Brilliant stuff... as a guy whose painted a lot of gold I'm super impressed.

Any thoughts on basing? Snow might look cool. Anyway great stuff bud
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2018, 06:06:49 AM »
I really love the idea of painting those ships. They allow such a wealth of variation. But, they have a load of detail. You could get lost in them for a long time!

You said it!  These things are massive and detailed.  Especially the Ironclad!

They look amazing Tangi. You are knocking it out of the park with your metal work. Brilliant stuff... as a guy whose painted a lot of gold I'm super impressed.

Any thoughts on basing? Snow might look cool. Anyway great stuff bud

Thanks Cav.  :)

I’ve had a few thoughts on basing, and snow was one of them.  I’ve been looking at all the pics of the realm of metal that I can find and the standard is like a dusty grey stone.  But that wouldn’t contrast very well with the uniforms.  But snow would. 

I think I missed a trick by not painting the rocks a sandstone colour.  See, I’ve gotten inspiration from the game Destiny 2.  Specifically, the surface of Io.

I don’t think you see any there but the surface is covered in Ammonite type fossils.  It’s all very strange, and would suit AoS very well. 

What do you guys think?  Regular snow, simple and safe, or weird other worldly sandy type ground?  :-\

Oh yeah,, forgot to mention, I’m signed up for another tournament on May 6th.  Same one as before.  Hopefully I’ll have at least one ship painted by then. :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:19:54 AM by Calamity »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2018, 06:29:53 AM »

I think something like that would look really good. Note though the ship in your picture actually uses three colours. Green for the hull and sails, cream for the deck and red below the water line. I think your boats would look good with a cream and green hull but I think the balloon things and their structure would look better painted so they look like some sort of metal.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »

I think something like that would look really good. Note though the ship in your picture actually uses three colours. Green for the hull and sails, cream for the deck and red below the water line. I think your boats would look good with a cream and green hull but I think the balloon things and their structure would look better painted so they look like some sort of metal.

How about this; the hulls are mostly green with a line of cream, but the big faces at the front (I’m sure they have a name) and the balloons are the brass colour I’ve been using, and to get the grey of the troops in there too, perhaps more conventional iron could be thrown in too?

I wish there was a ship painter tool in the same vein of the space Marine one, to test ideas out.  Would be so handy.  ;D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
How about this; the hulls are mostly green with a line of cream, but the big faces at the front (I’m sure they have a name) and the balloons are the brass colour I’ve been using, and to get the grey of the troops in there too, perhaps more conventional iron could be thrown in too?

I have just been looking at pictures of Ironclads and I did not realise they were so detailed. I think your suggestion of painting the figurehead and the balloons your brassy colour and the hull green and cream would work brilliantly.