News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: (HM/NM)1850 GK turny list  (Read 1795 times)

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
(HM/NM)1850 GK turny list
« on: February 7, 2004, 01:45:03 AM »
Hello all,
I am new to this site and this army but not the game of 40k. I am a Gaurd General by trade as I play both Standerd gaurd and Armoured Company. I like the look of the GK models and the fluff of the Codex. Also when you first open the Codex you have those 5 GK Terms standing against that hoard of Chaos. Very moving and very cool. Cool enough to pay 10 bucks US a fig for. But there is something to be said for the effectiveness of  a force as well. You guyz seem to be pretty informitive and well versed from what I have read so far. Well here it goes.

1 Grey Knight Grand Master (HQ) @ 329 Pts
     Nemesis Force Halberd; Storm Bolter
     #Terminator Armour
4 Grey Knight Terminator Retinue
          Nemesis & Storm Bolter (x4)

4 Grey Knight Terminators (Elites) @ 270 Pts
     Nemesis & Psycannon (x1); Nemesis & Storm Bolter (x3)
 1 Grey Knight Brother-Captain
          #Terminator Armour

7 Grey Knights (Fast Attack) @ 255 Pts
     Incinerator (x2); Nemesis & Storm Bolter
1 Grey Knight Justicar
          Nemesis & Storm Bolter
          Teleport Homer

7 Grey Knights (Fast Attack) @ 245 Pts
1 Grey Knight Justicar
          Nemesis & Storm Bolter

These troops will act as the main body of the force. All 26 are to drop in together in one big forcefull move in the middle of the opponents army. The first unit to drop in is going to be the GK's with the Teleport homer they will use their Incineraters and SB's to clear out a bigger chunk of real estate for the next squad of GK's, who will repeat the same maneuver and cut a bigger swath into the enemy, than finnaly the termies will arrive last with their psy cannon that will hopefully get some side or rear shots on an enemy tank.
============================================

4 Grey Knights (Troops) @ 175 Pts
     Psycannon (x1); Nemesis & Storm Bolter
1 Grey Knight Justicar
          Nemesis & Storm Bolter

This group will Hang back with the Dread in case of any hth threats are incounterd

4 Grey Knights (Troops) @ 175 Pts
     Psycannon (x1); Nemesis & Storm Bolter
1 Grey Knight Justicar
          Nemesis & Storm Bolter

This group will ride in the LR and disgorge were they are needed I will probably put a Incinerater in this group as well.

1 Grey Knight Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 140 Pts
     Missile Launcher; Twin Lascannon

Pure tank Destroyer. Nothing more.

1 Grey Knight Land Raider (Heavy Support) @ 260 Pts
     Linked Lascannon (x2); Twin Heavy Bolters
     Psycannon Bolts

Tank destroyer and big nasty invulnerable Sv creature killer

Models in Army: 38
(Is this about right for this many points? Will it be hardy enough?)

Total Army Cost: 1849

Removed individual point costs
« Last Edit: February 8, 2004, 01:45:40 PM by Farseer Ulthrion »
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
Re: (HM/NM)1850 GK turny list
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2004, 10:08:12 AM »
As for model count, I usually play Deathwing at this high of point values, so you outnumber me ::) However I have two raiders and two dreads, and all my troops are termies... anyhoo...

I'd drop the Psycannon in the Land Raider squad, and give them 2 incinerators, you'll be disembarking right on top of your opponents, so you might as well give them a taste of the Emperor's flame...

Hanging a squad back isn't really a good idea, I'd keep that squad mobile and use it for claiming quarters and such.

Everything else seems in place.  Good luck!

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2004, 12:12:46 PM »
good list, but as was said, dont give the LR squad a psycannon but 2 incinerators...flam ing death is fun fun fun!

but, if you want psycannons for ranged support either drop a dread and get a purgation squad with 4, or keep the dread and drop a squad down to 5 with 2 psycannons.

but, good list in all, and actually....instead of having a basic squad in the raider, try throwing in some terminators...they are SOOOOO much fun when they pour out of a land raider and assault, obliterating the squad they hit in the 2nd turn :D
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2004, 01:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I have updated the LR squad with one more GK w/ Incinerater. Dropped the second squad of Terms and gave the GM a retinue of 9 for a total of ten in the squad and I gave the GM The word of the Emperor so that should make it harder for the offending army to charge the group when they arive via deep strike. Letting the charge happen on my terms once in a while will be nice. Also does the Rule "The Shrouding" Effect Dreads as well? Well without further ado.

Daemonhunters Army

1 Grey Knight Grand Master (HQ) @ 594 Pts
     #Terminator Armour
     #Word of the Emperor
9 Grey Knight Terminator Retinue
      Nemesis & Psycannon (x1); Nemesis & Storm Bolter (x8)

7 Grey Knights (Fast Attack) @ 255 Pts
1 Grey Knight Justicar
      Nemesis & Storm Bolter
      Teleport Homer

7 Grey Knights (Fast Attack) @ 245 Pts
1 Grey Knight Justicar
      Nemesis & Storm Bolter

Deep strike group will now be screened by the 10 terms with Word of the Emporer upon arrival.
===============================================

1 Grey Knight Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 140 Pts
     Front Armour: 12; Side Armour: 12; Rear Armour: 10; Missile Launcher; Twin
     Lascannon

4 Grey Knights (Troops) @ 160 Pts
     Incinerator (x1); Nemesis & Storm Bolter
1 Grey Knight Justicar
      Nemesis & Storm Bolter

I could not swing a Psy cannon so I will go with the Incinerater.
===============================================

1 Grey Knight Land Raider (Heavy Support) @ 260 Pts
     Linked Lascannon (x2); Twin Heavy Bolters
     Psycannon Bolts

5 Grey Knights (Troops) @ 195 Pts
1 Grey Knight Justicar
      Nemesis & Storm Bolter

Still gunna cruze around and go were it is needed. like the front of the enemy I am deep striking.

Models in Army: 39

Total Army Cost: 1849

Removed individual point costs
« Last Edit: February 8, 2004, 01:48:55 PM by Farseer Ulthrion »
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline Kaliban La Rousse

• Lurking in the background
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2004, 06:52:04 PM »
I think only storm bolters can be upgraded with psycannon bolts or sdoes the psycannon bolts cost include the pts for the storm bolter.

I think its a pretty sound list just 1 thing before you deepstrike in the termies and grey knights don't forget to take out anything that has a ordanance template at ap 3 or better mainly LRBT's, demolishers, vindicators, bassies and Defilers as otherwise they may take you all out in one shot.  Do that and you should be okay just remeber your opponent will be gunning for your vehicles if your termies etc aint there. 

Consider letting the termies advance on foot. Or consider buying a melta bomb strike to take out any vehicles 2d6 + 8 aint bad and it hurts power armoured models also. I don't really see why people in the DH forum complain of anti tank when you have this melta bomb strike what other army has it? (discounting Smurf hyperios's)
Non-orthopedically sprung life forms are reminded that matresses are the only sentient creatures that need floloping every day

Space Marines - Golden Disciples 4500pts done
Imperial Guard - 1st Elonian Janizars - w.i.p.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2004, 07:08:18 PM »
I think only storm bolters can be upgraded with psycannon bolts or sdoes the psycannon bolts cost include the pts for the storm bolter.
I don't really see why people in the DH forum complain of anti tank when you have this melta bomb strike what other army has it? (discounting Smurf hyperios's)

first, if you really read the entry for psycannon bolts as a vehicle upgrade, it specifically states what weapons can take it.

second, we be-atch because the orbital strike (all of them) are so unreliable to actually hit your target that you want.  so the unpredictability of it is a waste

and third, for DUDEMAESTRO, drop WOTE, as it is entirely pointless.  consider how many squads out there will fail their LD test that is worth sending at the termies. examples of what would assault them anyways: banshee's, hawks, avatar's, wraithlords, incubi, marine hq, anything with access to power weapons...primarily have a high enough LD that they will pass
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2004, 11:17:50 PM »
Yes this vehicle (Land raider) secondary weapon can ignore invulnerable saves with this upgrade (psycannnon bolts) via its TL heavy bolter.

Can Dreads get a pintle mounted storm bolter as a vehicle upgrade?

And do dreads get "the shrouding" special rule?

Yeah Ill drop the WOTE ugrade.

And yes our options are limited against a full out armoured speer head. trust me I whiped out a DH force with my standard gaurd and there 5 AFV's (2 'nilla Russ's- 1 demolisher- 2 chimeras.) they opponent had that orbital crap and it just wouldent hit my tanks. But it did hit his own guys once, his Purgitation squad and whiped it out to the man. Any ways he no longer longer wanted to play me after turn two. And with his complaning I did not wanna play him either. But it did make me want a GK force. Go figure.

-James Monroe

Offline DarkArchite

• My future ex-wife
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2004, 01:40:30 AM »
Can Dreads get a pintle mounted storm bolter as a vehicle upgrade?

And do dreads get "the shrouding" special rule?

1) No. (But it would be nice)

2) Yes
The 2 most abundant resources in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!!

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2004, 01:53:40 PM »
thats sweet on the whole shrouding thing on a dread though. seeing how at 1500 points and below he will be my only anti tank option. at least he will be a harder target. Also, does any one here have the forge world GK dread and if so is it cool looking?

-James Monroe

Offline theblahmaster

• Punch it, Chewie!
    • The War Room
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 04:35:13 PM »
and third, for DUDEMAESTRO, drop WOTE, as it is entirely pointless.  consider how many squads out there will fail their LD test that is worth sending at the termies. examples of what would assault them anyways: banshee's, hawks, avatar's, wraithlords, incubi, marine hq, anything with access to power weapons...primarily have a high enough LD that they will pass

Uh...what happens if you're fighting a guard army where they will toss like 4 squads in there (and still have plenty more to throw at you!) just to put some numbers against your termies so they're fighting those weak, low point troops and accomplishing nothing for the whole game?  Or Orks even (especially speed freeks as there "Mob size check" will be not nearly as usefull as groundpounders) or Tau with their low leadership?  Hmmm...I think it would prove pretty usefull against them.  And, hell, if it even stops one enemy of those units that "should" pass their test from charging you in all your games, I think that it has pretty much paid for itself!
"Heavy is good.  Heavy is reliable.  If it does not work, you can always hit him with it."

Boris the Bullet Dodger on handguns.

Offline mEGALOMANIAC

• It's a trick. Get an axe.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 07:24:20 PM »

Uh...what happens if you're fighting a guard army where they will toss like 4 squads in there (and still have plenty more to throw at you!) just to put some numbers against your termies so they're fighting those weak, low point troops and accomplishing nothing for the whole game?  Or Orks even (especially speed freeks as there "Mob size check" will be not nearly as usefull as groundpounders) or Tau with their low leadership?  Hmmm...I think it would prove pretty usefull against them.  And, hell, if it even stops one enemy of those units that "should" pass their test from charging you in all your games, I think that it has pretty much paid for itself!

Personally, I *try* to get people to charge my GM & termies. Those guys can kill like you wouldn't believe! If an enemy unit shoots you, you don't get to respond in their turn. If they assault, you can take some/all of them out and do it again the next time! Besides, GK termies get 2 power weapon attacks per model at I 4 with an armor save or 2+ (not to mention the better stats of a BC or GM!).  The only things I might *not* want to charge me are the things that would (and do) pass their Ld test anyways.
"You know what for the you know who"

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 10:15:55 PM »

I knew I had fans!!!

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 10:51:19 PM »
Well I am hopping that deep strike will help me get into fights that I want to get into more often than them choosing the fight. Also with a bs of four and two shots per model with storm bolters and psy cannon. As a gaurd player I  would be more afraid of the GK's sitting 24" away and destroying a squad (minimum a turn while the gaurd have to check if they can even see the GK'S (i.e. the shrouding) to return fire. now granted the roll to see them would only be  two 3's and a 2 on 3D but the squads behind the one your destroying would have to make higher rolls to even see you. Now as a gaurd player I tell you this we depend on the "Law of Averages" meening we depend on our #'s beeing sufficient to upset a crappy stat line. If I faced an GK army the fact that their was a good chance of half my army not being able to shoot at a target that can drop a good ten of my men a turn. Add to that the propsition that a group of 9 termies with at least 2 attacks a piece with str6 power weapons  that can drop in behind my russes and rip the heart out of my army by taking away the Commisar and Colonal in a brutal hth attack SCrewinf me of LD10 and on top of that two 7 man squads teliporting in as well with two flamers a peice that will ignore your already pitifull SV of 5 and T of 3. Troops like Grey Knights that will not fall back troops that will not take cross fire losses and will not be tank shocked. The only thing gaurd, and to an extent Tau, have to hope for is that thier tanks perform miraculusly and with termies attaking the heart of their troops and HQ's, Ordinace weapons will chance killing as much of them (if not more i.e crappy armour saves) than us. Knowing most gaurd players all their tanks will have is a battle cannon and a las cannon. I tell you this, as a gaurd player, I would fear an experianced GK player. However let it be said I am just a gaurd player and have not a game with my GK's under my belt.

-James Monroe