News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Justicar Thawn and the new 7th Ed Psychic rules  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
Justicar Thawn and the new 7th Ed Psychic rules
« on: July 7, 2014, 01:29:49 AM »
With Psychic FOCUS does this mean that Justicar Thawn's Psychic mastery level 2 if he picks both powers from the same discipline (Divination) he automatically has the Primaris power?

If so this makes THAWN very powerful and NOW worth his extra 75 points!

Thoughts?

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Justicar Thawn and the new 7th Ed Psychic rules
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
That should be the case, yes. Whether that makes Thawn worth it or not I can't say (I don't own the Grey Knights codex), but if you pick both your powers from the same discipline, Psychic Focus kicks in (assuming you aren't a Chaos sorcerer, of course).

« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2014, 12:47:23 AM »
I recently bought the 7th ed rules so the Psychic phase and all its rules are the predominant aspect I am trying to catch up on. 

Also the GK FAQ came out recently too.  Resulting in a better understanding of our friend Thawn! 

He can't have the Divination discipline as I originally thought but rather the Daemonology (Sanctic) discipline.  So he can have two powers in that discipline only, but at least it is a good one. 

The Primaris is Meh, but Hammerhand has improved, Gate of Infinity has serious uses (skulls and mystics will make a comeback), Sanctuary is very different but great for termies, Purge Soul has some definite uses, Cleansing flame! is quite good!, and Vortex of Doom is ... well DOOM!

So to summarize for the 75 points Thawn adds ...
- Psychic Mastery Level 2 - booyah!
- access to some very good psy powers (Sanctic)
          - Force weapon power, Sanctic Primaris (again meh) and TWO of the other 6 good to very good Sanctic ones!
- Fearless - never bad
- WS 5 w init 6 halberd!
- 'I shall not yield' went from pesky to good ...
          - in tournaments with the new FOC he can become the warlord and deny 'Slay the Warlord' points!
          - A troop choice, a very difficult to remove Objective Securing choice :)
          - When he is separated from his unit after death, he comes back as another source of Warp Charge points

I would occasionally take him in 6th with some good results but questioned cost, still expensive but I am less likely to question cost!

GM Rex

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
He can't have the Divination discipline as I originally thought but rather the Daemonology (Sanctic) discipline.  So he can have two powers in that discipline only, but at least it is a good one. 

The Primaris is Meh, but Hammerhand has improved, Gate of Infinity has serious uses (skulls and mystics will make a comeback), Sanctuary is very different but great for termies, Purge Soul has some definite uses, Cleansing flame! is quite good!, and Vortex of Doom is ... well DOOM!

Wow, GW SUCKS at writing clear rules, unreal! 

It seems Justicar Thawn, even though he is a Mastery Level 2, has the Sanctic Primaris power Banishment and the Sanctic power Hammerhand only, No random generation for this lad, Hmmm.

GM Rex Nihilo

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:20:52 AM »
I pretty much always field him when a game allows enough points. Unfortunatly I haven't got to field my GK in this new edition but have read some great posts on them. I will still take him just for the nanny nanny boo boo affect he has on my opponents.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword