News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Sisters Codex - Discussion  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
New Sisters Codex - Discussion
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
NEW SISTERS CODEX!!!

I'm excited, are you excited? Cause I'm excited!

The Black Library - Adepta-Sororitas

So, the troops are still the same price.  I was hoping they would go down some but oh well.  but since its now 5-20 you can fit a troop choice in an immolator!  Melta, Melta, and heavy flamer on the tank... booyeah!

What are your thoughts and hopes?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
Re: New Sisters Codex - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 01:18:12 AM »
Already preordered the eBook edition. That they actually made some changes to some of the stuff makes me hopeful that the book is more fixed now. Going to get a nice-looking printout made, laminated and bound for my gaming bag as well.

I love the art that's in the preorder.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:20:16 AM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline pudd

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
Silly question: when it says "download for iPad and eBook compatible devices" does that mean I have to have some sort of tablet? I only have a desktop pc so I just want to know if I would be wasting my money (and downloads) to get this. Will a PDF reader program work?

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »
I think Amazon do an ebook reader program for PCs, but please don't quote me on that because I have no idea.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
It's true, I got it to read Wyddr's story, it can be found here.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »
WEll I hope so, I have already DL'd it to my PC. Total BS this digi only but we'll see.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »
I think it's a good thing that people won't have to pay "extortion pricing" through ebay and the like, to find White Dwarves with the codex in them.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around a digital download only, unless they're testing the waters for a hard copy version. "Hey, buy this info we don't need to invest resources in creating hard copies for. Oh look! It sold pretty well! No body really likes soft copies, so we can sell them a hard copy now... with more fluff and FAQ's already applied... uhhh... and some pictures of the Sisters in a state of undress!"

"It's sooo easy to target sales at young men."

From what I've heard, there are few HQ choices that are considered valid, so it would be nice to see that fixed. It would also be good to see a little bit more variety in their HS options, from what I recall.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »
WEll I hope so, I have already DL'd it to my PC. Total BS this digi only but we'll see.

Wait, what? How did you already download it?

The eBook edition is a ePub. There should be multiple readers available for it.
Additionally, I took a read-through of the licensing on the eBook version. You are allowed to make a printout of it for your own use. I'll probably make a trip out to a printer and get a nice copy made for myself later. To me, a digital copy is >> the WD situation.

From what I've heard, there are few HQ choices that are considered valid, so it would be nice to see that fixed. It would also be good to see a little bit more variety in their HS options, from what I recall.
The problem with the HQ choices is that all of the generic models are rather expensive for what you get and what they unlock is not worth paying points for anyway. The unique HQs were cheaper than similarly-equipped generics (and Celestine is Jump Infantry, which the generics can't do), and got awesome special rules.
Here's a quick example:
Celestine: 115pts, comes with a jump pack, Tzeentch Terminator saves, and a poisoned power sword. Then you look at her Lucky #7 statline and the attack #s that make a SM Captain blush. She out-swings, out-tanks, and out moves a SM Captain (new codex) for not much more. To get close to her, the Cannoness is only 15pts cheaper and has a 'meh' statline. And it's the low T stat that makes Celestine shine, as pretty much everything but small-arms fire will make the multiple wounds worthless.

Everything in the HS (except for the Exorcist) slots has a large weakness: It's not an Exorcist. Their Devastator equivs have a choice between HBs or MMs. Yes, rending HBs is sexy, but you'll probably get screwed on the Acts roll.

Looks like the Cannonness is now cheaper (with Rosarius) as a SM Captain (who comes with an Iron Halo). So not complete BS. Still no jump pack.

The sgt tax became optional but doubled from the WD codex.

I'm sure that everything in their Elites slots will still fail and that Pentitent Engines will break when something looks at them funny. I hope that taking priests is worth doing and that the Faith Point rules got fixed so they work in games > 1500 pts.

If Eviscerators are on the Melee weapon list, I'm seeing those getting put everywhere.

I might be able to properly do a footslogging Sisters list now that isn't celestine+2 exorcists+seraphim. That would be nice.

Also, I'll see if Calibre's built-in ePub reader will work with it when I get my copy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:38:51 PM by Rummy »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:51 AM »
Oops, sorry. Meant the kindle app from amazon. Wish I had the dex already.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
If you're using Firefox there's an epub reader add on that works fine with Black Library ebooks.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »
Yey new rules. It can only be an improvement, although its a bit annoying I have to print it out myself (as I'm not planning to take a tablet out gaming).

Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
Well, if you were looking for fluff this isn't the place to find it. A rather streamlined codex as it were.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 01:00:42 AM »
Well, if you were looking for fluff this isn't the place to find it. A rather streamlined codex as it were.

No foolin'.

The epub itself can be converted with Calibre, which also means that if you had the inclination, you could fix the formatting to look decent as a printed book. As-is, it definitely makes for an inefficient book.

I'm going to leave a "First Impressions" thread, should be good for discussion.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!