News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1.5k worth of Grey Knights for beginner.  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
1.5k worth of Grey Knights for beginner.
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
Toying around with this 1.5k point list.  What do you think?

GK Brother Champ + Digital Weapon + Brain Mines

Ven Dreadnaught + TL Autocannon + Psybolt + Searchlight

GK Termies: 10 men
  Psybolt
  2x Psycannon
  4 Halberds
  3 Daemonhammer
  2 Swords
  Justicar w/ MC Daemonhammer

GKSS
  4 Halberds
  2 Psycannons
  Psybolts
  Justicar w/ MC Halberd

Dreadnaught
  TL Lascannon
  Missile Launcher
  Searchlight

Land Raider Crusader
  Psybolt
  Multimelta

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
Re: 1.5k worth of Grey Knights for beginner.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »
 Just at a quick glance, I'd say drop the heavy dread and downgrade the Venerable to a heavy slot pluss add a second set of ACs. The Venerable rule is basically useless now with HP rules. Use left over pts for a MSU Strike Squad in a RB. I know MSU is on the 'out' right now, but having A small yet capable scoring unit is always good. Or if you plan on combat squading to increase your scoring units you could grab a vindicare or tooled up techmarine.

What are your tactics/plans for this list? That would help a bit. In 5th edition I would have said no to a LRC under 1850pts, but I'm loving mine in 6th.  It's killed a few fliers that have strayed too close and with people running more infantry it just gets better. It will die though and faster the closer you get with the enemy. I have taken to keeping it at  max weapons range a couple of rounds before going full at it. Once you are in melta/charge range it's gone quick.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: 1.5k worth of Grey Knights for beginner.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
Cool, thanks for all the input!

I played this list in a local tourney a week ago.  It rocks, all that psybolt/psycannon death puts a real hurt on opponents.  New 6th ed rules make the LRC a shooty beast.

But you're right, I'm sucking in the scoring unit department.  Lost 2 of 3 games, not because the list couldn't put the hurt on, it totally did.  I just couldn't spread out my forces to claim objectives.  Didn't want to combat squad my units.  A ten man fist of psybolt stormbolters and psycannons can put some serious hurt on infantry units.

I do have a Vindicare and a Techmarine painted and flocked and ready to go. Also toying with the idea of dropping the Brotherhood champ in lieu of a cheap Inquisitor to free up points.

Dropping the Ven to a regular Dread would make sense, but that BS 5 with 2 x Psybolt Autocannons is a very shooty beast.  He simply does not miss and has a massive threat range of 54".