News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 6th Edition SoB - For Better or Worse?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline Allegiant Thorn

• I'm newish!
6th Edition SoB - For Better or Worse?
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »
With what we've now read in our BRAND SPANKIN' NEW 6th edition rule books, do you think Sisters of Battle will become better or worse?

Lets try to keep this question on target, please.

It should also be noted that I'm coming from the "plays for fun with friends" corner, and not the "will be playing in tournies" corner.

I feel as though the newest White Dwarf SoB codex (since it is officially the one to use) will possibly get better with 6th edition.  Maybe not a a LOT better, maybe barely, but I think with the following new rules, the Sisters will get better:

For Better

-Overwatch (since Sisters don't really ever charge in (except Repentia and Battle Conclave, they'll be getting charged, and get to stand and shoot.)

-Flamers now get to make defensive walls of fire which is auto x hits.

-improved "rage" special rule? (We're no longer hindered by this special rule)

-rapid fire, can now move and shoot 1 shot full range

-Seraphim will take advantage of "Hammer of Wrath"

-Might lend better to large, foot slogging sisters.

-Allies will allow us to fill out our lack of long range or close combat units (can bring IG tanks, or close combat Grey Knights, etc)

-Our Retributors and Dominions have perhaps become a bit more affective with snap/overwatch

-The new power weapon variations will give our Superiors smidge more strength if it does come to hand to hand, and perhaps we can take a few with us! (i know, I'm gonna get reamed for even suggesting that a superior take a power weapon!)

-As I read it..correct me if I'm wrongAs it is written in the new rules, I assume that Hit and Run will now allow St Celestine to Hit and Run with Seraphim like in the old days, as it states that "check page pg 38" in 6th ed BRB.  This is specifically different, than say, the wording with "Deep Strike"

For Worse

-Weaker transports

-Cannot charge out of stationary "non assault" style transports

-Other armies may have become more deadly benefiting from the same/more new rules

-Immolators got nerf'd not being able to drive as far and still flame

-Feel no pain change causes Repentia to die easier

-Change to power weapons makes death cults not as good vs. ap2 (termies, etc)

What do u you think will make the Sisters better or worse in 6th edition?  I'm very interested to hear what fellow Sisters players think.  I love and will always love this army.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:43:58 PM by Allegiant Thorn »

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: 6th Edition SoB - For Better or Worse?
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
Powerweapons on superiors isn't an aweful idea now. It used to be rubbish as the strength was so poor... an axe with worth considering as its something of a cheap almost-powerfist. Seeing as there is no access to powerfists its a useful option.

Fielding units in big mobs grants a lot of overwatch... I'm not convinced that overwatch is an effective defence against assault but it could help a little.

Allies might be more useful. Although its somewhat sad the way to make a sister of battle army better is to have less sisters of battle in it. Being positive, means people who used to like having an inquisitor can have one again!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline pudd

« Reply #2 on: July 2, 2012, 05:50:24 AM »
Not sure if the new rulebook overrides all the codexes now or what but if it does then it gets rid of the dual eviscerator wielding canoness which was one of the few nice things sisters had going for them.

Offline Allegiant Thorn

• I'm newish!
« Reply #3 on: July 3, 2012, 02:41:06 AM »
Not sure if the new rulebook overrides all the codexes now or what but if it does then it gets rid of the dual eviscerator wielding canoness which was one of the few nice things sisters had going for them.

I had no idea that was a thing?!  Dual evisc?  Aren't they 2-handed weapons?

Offline pudd

« Reply #4 on: July 3, 2012, 06:06:25 AM »
The fluff description thing has them as 2-handed chainswords but the rules part says otherwise. WD 381 pg 92.

Offline LordDogbert

• XEEEENOOOS!
« Reply #5 on: July 5, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »
Hey did anyone see the new rules for pistols? In the Weapons section.

Point is, our Seraphim can toss out 4 Flamer templates now if I'm not mistaken.  (5 if you use celestine)  and it's practically taunting people with the new overwatch rules and 2 shots/girl.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2012, 12:23:34 PM by LordDogbert »

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »
A general assessment:

Power Weapons
~ as noted, a power sword took a slight hit. AP3 is still not bad, but it can be annoying when terminators come to call.
~ The power axe is definitely worth a look. Firstly, for those who give a crap about background, the Axe of Chalcydon (or Axe of Retribution) is a canonical sisterhood weapon. Secondly, unwieldy isn't a big deal for a (generally) hard to attack character, and S4 (S5 for celestians) is a nice one.
~The power maul is something we have an existing model for. Don't knock S5 against non power-armoured armies! Being able to wound a warboss on a 4 and still ignore eavy armour is very nice.
~ Note - the FAQ SPECIFICALLY opens 'power sword' up to 'power weapon'!
~Death cultists suffer but I can't really make myself concerned as they were *&?^"!!! broken as hell anyway.
~Crusaders with an axe match some of the artwork, look bad-ass and are very effective.

Meltabombs
~ seriously, just yes. S8, AP1, useable against walkers at full WS and now against monstrous creatures too. Don't knock massed krak grenades either.

Overwatch
~ Bolter overwatch isn't a big deal as 6's means not so much from small units. Footslogging units of 20 girls, however, hurt like crap, especially with paired flamers too.

Characters
~ A character in a squad can only be realistically picked out by another character, even in combat. This makes priests VERY tempting, especially given the above footslogging squad of mobile rapid firing death.
~The eviscerator is a power fist with armourbane. Dual-wielding eviscerators is still a go.

Seraphim
~ Yup. They're even nastier now. Jump in, fire 4 hand flamers, Celestine's ardent blade, 14 bolt pistols and the superior can lob a frag grenade in for giggles. All rerolling to wound. Then, you charge, and get impact hits before the fight starts. Then, assuming they had some mates nearby, if they charge you, you get to put another 8-ish automatic hand flamer hits, 2-ish heavy flamer hits and a couple of bolt pistol hits before the fight starts!
~Celestine confers fearless on the unit she joins. The Seraphim confer Hit and run on any character joining them. It's a match made in infantry-murderizing heaven.

Transports
~No charging out of transports is irrelevant - for sisters they tend to be hoiksing gun-units around anyway

Exorcist
~ Weapon destroyed is random. That means, for the price of a pintle-mount, you have a 50% protection for the exorcist launcher against your first weapon damage. I say worth it!

Allies
~ Faithful characters (i.e. a canoness) can pass on 'the passion' to allied battle brother units. Equally, 50-man combined guard platoon led by uriah jacobus, or additional awesome leadership guard characters (like yarrick) to boost the army's resolve up close.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »
Heroic Leadership is a nifty bonus to armies like Sisters Of Battle.  They have access to numerous lesser characters, which are ideal for joining to a large blob of Sisters to make them harder to break.  Without that extra character, the possibility of running off the board is a very real hazard, especially for smaller units.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
That's a good call. Another good reason for a priest...

Of course, the one big issue with priests is that they can't be put in a mechanised battle squad (which is minimum size 10) - of course I've always preferred footsloggers.

One other nasty trick - when firing an emplaced weapon, the weapon counts as the firer's shooting attack and gains all special rules of the weapon and the unit - that means a retributor squad holed up in a bastion can fire their four heavy bolters (via the two fire points) and the superior may fire the heavy bolter, and all five can gain rending from divine guidance!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:16:45 PM by Locarno »
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
Nice Locarno that is a neat trick indeed!

Offline badlybuilt

• Armies: Sisters of Battle
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »
A few things I have noted as I have been playing games. HF Ret squad as a support shock troop is intense due to overwatch. Superiors with twin plasma pistols ( with ability to snipe ) is expensive but very effective. Repentia have a hard time filling their old role due to transport rules. Ret squad throwing a frag grenade is a bit exciting. Sera + Celestine is incredible, I have had alot of success destroying squads with them. Full mech is pretty good due to HP, end up having a bunch of cover sitting on the board. Melta bombs are great now, really puts a hurt on those once tarpitty walkers.
Quote from: Hymirl
Cross dressing space marines? Not a fan.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
Sera + Celestine is incredible
Indeed. They gain fearless from her, she gains hit and run from them, and the initiative test is done on her (ridiculous) I7 not the squad's I3. A perfect combination!
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline badlybuilt

• Armies: Sisters of Battle
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »
Sera + Celestine is incredible
Indeed. They gain fearless from her, she gains hit and run from them, and the initiative test is done on her (ridiculous) I7 not the squad's I3. A perfect combination!

Funny you mention the HnR... first time trying I failed twice in a row..

By the way thanks Locarno, I never thought of that tactic using the building!
Quote from: Hymirl
Cross dressing space marines? Not a fan.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
One of the things I've found most useful is flat out for rhinos, the use of that extra move is beyond measure. For an army trying to get into medium range for a gunfight it really makes a difference.

The hull points I find to be little problem, no the rhino won't last forever but the other side of the coin is that it's more likely to become a nice terrain piece to hide behind and the consiquences for passengers aren't that bad at all, can't assault? It's not like I wanted to!

It's also been my first time using the seraphim and have been highly impressed, re-rolled 6+ saves stop a surprising amount of wounds!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014