News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Emercency hurry!!!  (Read 1350 times)

Offline 32234356444

• Spammer: Forum stutter
Emercency hurry!!!
« on: July 16, 2005, 02:43:29 PM »
Hey i just found a baby catfish at the park and i need to know what they eat.Sorry for posting it here but i figured more people would see it here.So what do they eat?Please help i tried google and couldnt find anything.Thanks:AWSTRICKER.

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
Re: Emercency hurry!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 02:54:40 PM »
PUT IT BACK IN THE WATER!

Seriously, you're better off putting it in whatever lake/pond/river you found it in.

Beyond that...fish food?

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline 32234356444

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »
Y but its for my pond.And there supposed to be bottom feeders.WHat does that mean?

Offline Necromortis

• Deprieved Sorceror
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 03:00:01 PM »
It means they feed of things on the bottom that most other things won't eat.

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 05:35:42 PM »
http://vsdemo.virtualsprockets.com/Store/Store.cfm?ID=154&c=19

Though for something a bit faster, I think earthworms chopped up or something will do just fine.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 06:49:54 PM »
I really hope you're not putting a fish stolen from a public pond into a personal tropical fish tank/pond, not least because of the diseases.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline 32234356444

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 01:07:08 PM »
Its not its a lake at my friends house.

Offline Aronious

• (Arr-OH-Nee-uhs)
    • Game Rats
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 02:39:51 PM »
They're bottom-feeders. They eat small bacteria and plankton. Maybe even fish feces. They eat stuff no fish would ever eat. But throw it into a lake is what I would do.

"We're an infantry regiment, Red. We fight. We die."- Master Horkin, Mage-at-Arms

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,83795.0.html

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."
-Goldfinger

Offline kharn012000

• The world is flat I tell you
  • I pick fights with fighting_scars!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 04:19:46 PM »
Go into a pet shop and ask.

Offline 32234356444

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 07:46:51 PM »
Yeah theres alot of them down by the lake.I caught about 60 more.there very very small.I freed all of them.At least until I figure out more about them.Anyway thanks for the help.

Offline Pulse

• Austral Opithicus, friend to the end....
    • Substance
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 10:39:16 PM »
at a pet store you can buy algae pellets that catfish can eat, but usually you do not see baby catfish at all.

where do you live? i know quite a bit about fish, and if you tell me i might be able to give you more information.

Offline Spiritbw

• Dies novus lucescerit
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 12:31:43 AM »
Hmm, well I use to keep a few bottom feeders, mind I bought them at the pet store and didn't fish them out of a park!  There are types of food on the market that are made to sink instead of floating on the surface.  These are made for bottom feeders and contain the sort of things they need to survive.  Still, if it's form the wild that would be the best place for it so unless you don't think it will make it iout there, best to return it.
"Let our enemies see us comming. Let them tremble at our approach. What have we to fear? We are Fear incarnate!" - Brother Hektor Char, Paragon city campiegn

"Bonus points for anyone that taunts the frog while the machine works"- Dr Devious vs Lincoln High

Give us a visit: http://www.battlefleet-fury.150m.com/

Offline Spiritbw

• Dies novus lucescerit
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 08:28:15 PM »
Wild fish are not quarantined like store bought ones.  they could have diseases that your friend's tank fish are suseptable to and could become infected and die.
"Let our enemies see us comming. Let them tremble at our approach. What have we to fear? We are Fear incarnate!" - Brother Hektor Char, Paragon city campiegn

"Bonus points for anyone that taunts the frog while the machine works"- Dr Devious vs Lincoln High

Give us a visit: http://www.battlefleet-fury.150m.com/

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »
Exactly, in the same way that dogs coming in from another country must be quarantined to make sure they aren't carrying some un-toward illness that the local animals do not have ample protection against, or you wouldn't mix a freshly caught wild rabbit with your home never-out-of-cage rabbit.  Fish in tanks are kept in a relatively disease free zone, and if you put one in with them that isn't disease free it could devastate the population because they aren't prepared to cope with it, even if the fish isn't showing signs of the disease it could be immune and just carrying the virus and still be able to pass it on.  It could also transfer scale mites and such which again is bad.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline 32234356444

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 09:51:02 PM »
Oh that sucks.I guess i'll buy store bought ones and put them in a tank(I heard that they die easily in a pond.)

Offline dinurium

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 09:50:57 PM »
Wow.. I think its cool that you would want to have a catfish as a sorta pet.  We eat them where I live.  I eat them almost on a monthly basis.  Props to ya though.

• Ancient
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 10:26:59 PM »
Here we get more catfish pets than eaten cat fish.  To be honest I don't much like the taste of them, and I don't see the point in spending money getting a tank, the kit and the food and also the fish so that after a week you find the water is too acidic and its ended up floating at the top of the tank and you need to get another one.

Offline dinurium

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 06:50:57 PM »
How much to you guys pay for a catfish?  Here I can get a poboy with probally 1.5 lbs of catfish for around 3 or 4 dollars.  How much would a 1 lb pet catfish cost?

edit:  Actually, Im not positive what the net weight of the average cat fish platter or poyboy is.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:57:22 PM by dinurium »

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 07:50:23 PM »
Wouldn't know, of course it would depend on the area, the breed, the size, the shop etc.  You'd be eating stock meatily bred catfish, these would be bred differently and looked after differently.

Also consider that fish grow relative to their tank.  Keep a fish in a small tank and it will stay small for it's entire life.  Put it in a pond or a lake part way through and it will grow A LOT.  Our family had bland goldfish in a tank, they were 2 or 3 inches long.  After a while we got a pond built in the garden, and some of them are a good foot long and very bulky.  Good for eating I'd say ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 07:52:03 PM by Falhandir »