News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tsunami Disaster  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Tsunami Disaster
« Reply #40 on: January 5, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »
Ok you may hit me for this, but I'm going to tell you the truth on my oppion.

I honestly think the media is making to much of a deal outta of this. Life goes on, people die, nature happens but does the planet stop spinning, no. But thats life. Ash to Ash, dust to dust. If everytime a trajic accident happens and we donated, or made a huge story out of it, we'd be broke. Now why doesn't the wotld move on. Yeah, what the Red Cross and other charities are doing is fine by helping people return to normal life and rebuild their homes, but its how people are making a big deal which annoys me.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #41 on: January 5, 2005, 06:18:30 PM »
Ok you may hit me for this, but I'm going to tell you the truth on my oppion

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I honestly think the media is making to much of a deal outta of this. Life goes on, people die, nature happens but does the planet stop spinning, no. But thats life. Ash to Ash, dust to dust.

My arguement is, 120000 people are dead. When does something become a big deal?

If everytime a trajic accident happens and we donated, or made a huge story out of it, we'd be broke. Now why doesn't the wotld move on.

You're a Jew, yes? I mean no offence by this, but what if the world simply said "Sh*t happens" about the Holocaust? It is important to remember these things, and help people affected by them.

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #42 on: January 6, 2005, 06:58:42 AM »
I honestly think the media is making to much of a deal outta of this. Life goes on, people die, nature happens but does the planet stop spinning, no. But thats life. Ash to Ash, dust to dust.

My arguement is, 120000 people are dead. When does something become a big deal?
Let me re-phrase that. Its not that its a big deal, but how the media blows it up, it becomes annoying(As in right now)
If everytime a trajic accident happens and we donated, or made a huge story out of it, we'd be broke. Now why doesn't the wotld move on.

You're a Jew, yes? I mean no offence by this, but what if the world simply said "Sh*t happens" about the Holocaust? It is important to remember these things, and help people affected by them.

Again, its not the fault of the tsunami, its the media.

Offline Freshmaker

« Reply #43 on: January 6, 2005, 07:20:43 AM »
Let me re-phrase that. Its not that its a big deal, but how the media blows it up, it becomes annoying(As in right now)

Media is blowing it up because the people need help.  They need money...  Fading Jew , this is huge, I'm sure if you were there, and you lost 24 members of your family, you wouldn't be saying that "The media is blowing this whole thing up."  This is probably the worst natural disaster we are going to ever see in our lives, and you are saying that the media is milking it?  Your arguments don’t make sense to me.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2005, 07:24:13 AM by .Warp.Spider. »

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #44 on: January 6, 2005, 10:56:21 AM »

Again, its not the fault of the tsunami, its the media.

I mean no offense, but that's like saying the Holocaust wasn't the Nazi's fault, it was the history books'.  Read an article or two on the situation right now.  Scores of homeless sprint and follow any helicopter that flies overhead for nothing but drinking waterThat is a big deal with 120,000+ dead and countless homeless and starving.

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #45 on: January 6, 2005, 11:23:17 AM »
i believe its at 150,000 confirmed now (missing people not included), they still expect it to go into the millions

i have to agree with the previous posters, its blown up for a gd reason
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: January 6, 2005, 03:36:48 PM »
Hmmm.....I guess your right. Maybe I should relook my oppion.

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #47 on: January 9, 2005, 09:58:12 PM »
Hello all.....i was about to make a thread about this disaster... glad that someone cared enough and put a thread about it here before me.

I was on phuket, thailand when the disaster happened....here are a few pics first.

on 26th of december, there were 11 of us. 2 of the party members are going back to indonesia that noon, so in the interest of time we took a scheduled boat trip 30 MINUTES EARLIER. that SAVED our whole lives. This pic above was taken when the tsunami happened. innocent and oblivious to the waves that now destroyed the harbor we left from.

this is the hotel where i stayed....the lower levels were a WRECK....good thing our stuff are upstairs n nuttin was lost.

returned on 28th to Indonesia after witnessing the destruction and doing what little we can until time runs out and we gotta return....we still donated a few to the help agencies.

these are few pics on the full scale of destruction. I am sure the news showed more but i just hope that it can change a few minds that still thinks this is just another few people dead....this is a true disaster unseen nor unheard for a few decades this large....if you do have a penny please do spare to the agencies sending money or if you do have an iron will and the courage to see the unthinkable please do help the affected countries direct as a volunteer...the were decaying bodies everywhere falling apart and diseases running rampant (my country where i came from is affected most).

At least in my standard of 'being good', God is goddam good to us an family being survived without a single scratch/loss, so i hope those people spared by the disaster can realize of lucky they are and do something to the less unlucky ones.

God bless you all...
Signature Pending Update :P

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #48 on: January 9, 2005, 10:13:26 PM »
The ground shook a little in Chiangmai, with is in the northern part of Thailand. Good thing I didn't decide to go to the beaches.
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Ilfirin Noore

• Ancient
  • Mess with the best, die like the rest...
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2005, 02:40:28 AM »
To whoever it was that pointed out how nationalist people were by reporting their country's donations, I think people just don't want their country labeled as stingy or cold or whatnot at a time like this.

I think the gravtiy of the death toll for the tsunami is deeper than people realize. For nature to kill this many people is incredible. When terrorists, filled with bloodlust and hatred, only manage to kill a couple thousand people in a city of 17 million (last I checked), it's totally crazy that nature can wipe out so many. Even our government nuking Japan at the end of WWII will be overshadowed by how many have died in this. Suffice it to say, a wave killing several times the number of people as two nuclear strikes by a superpower is a little more than "the disaster of the decade." The worst disasters in recorded histories numbering more than a million dead from event and aftermath (disease, starvation, etc) can be counted on one hand:
1) 1931, 3 million are killed in China due to flooding (Yellow River)
2) 1959 in China, flooding kills 2 million+
3) 1201, an earthquake kills 1.1 million in Egypt and Syria
4) over the two years spanning 1938 and 1939, a million are killed in floods in China

Assuming the prediction that more than a million will be the final death toll is accurate, this tsunami will rank among the five deadliest disasters in history.
No Wild hockey makes Ilfirin a dull boy U of M hockey fan!

I could be weak, I could be senseless.
I could be just like you.
I could be fake, I could be stupid.
You know I could be just like you.

Help support the Biel-tan Project! Submissions are appreciated emailed or PMed to Ranger Asteria or myself!

Offline Archangel-Tirus

• CHRONO CRUSADE
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2005, 05:27:07 AM »
I can tell you this isnt good for thouse countries economicly. This is going to set them back so long.

Heres a theoretical Idea. (No offence to people who live in these countries)

If the Tsunami hit some of the more populated parts of the world (America, Australia and basicly some parts of europe.) Do you think people would see this disaster as worse or better?

I live in australia and these people are trading partners, so this will scare us a bit as well.

Its a disaster, but its no Pompeii.
You are the lowest of the low, You have naught even a name. You Dare take my contractor, you dare take what's mine.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2005, 06:45:08 AM »
My school is forcing (yes forcing) donations out of students.

This is where the line should be drawn, yes this is major, yes it has made a massive difference to the area but no, it isn't that big, it's just been noticed. Worse things happen and we never hear about it, they are what need to be dealt with.

I'm not trying to downplay the size of it but there are other things wrong with the world that could use the airtime wasted on how many (not a lot) of the UK's citizens died.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2005, 09:58:02 AM »

If the Tsunami hit some of the more populated parts of the world (America, Australia and basicly some parts of europe.) Do you think people would see this disaster as worse or better?

I live in indonesia, and although Indonesia had the worst of Tsunami, i can tell you this, Indonesia REAP the most benefit from Aceh Tsunami.

Why ? Aceh is a land strife with rebellion and military conflict. the separatist movement (GAM) was based there and with the tsunami, it really choked the rebels out of manpower...the GAM government in Sweden could not do a crap about it. Aceh was isolated for under Indonesian military law for secrecy purposes and with the tsunami came in, whatever Indonesian government want to hide, its washed away with the sea waters. This actually also counts why Indonesian was actually slow in bodycount and actually LOST bodycount several times and needed to recount. Now Indonesian issued ultimatum that foreign military presence were to leave the country immediately.

Wonderful world of politics
Signature Pending Update :P