News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The End of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
The End of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister
« on: September 6, 2022, 07:37:53 AM »
Finally, after weeks of dereliction of duty lying on a beach in Greece and, most recently, conducting a farewell tour (yes you read that right), the law breaking liar Johnson has resigned.  I so wish that I could relish the moment, but the incoming prime minister is scarcely an improvemnent.  In addition, Johnson's mendacity, corruption, and utter denial that he done anything wrong have, perhaps permanently, undermined the office of prime minister and tarnished the institutions of government in this country.

Johnson gave an utterly contemptable resignation speech.  It essentially boiled down to yet more denial and his utter failure to comprehend that he has done anything wrong.  Just as on the day when he was forced to announce that he would be resigning a couple of months back, it was all everyone else's fault that he has had to resign.  He has done everything right and he can neither accept nor understand why he has been removed.

He also had the temerity to claim that the rules had been changed to faciliate his removal!  Just as was the case with the £350 million for the NHS on that red bus of his during the Brext campaign, the incorrect references to non-existent EU regulations, and to the fact that he was ambushed by a cake (to give just three examples of his lies), this is total fiction.  The rules for removing prime ministers and Conservative party leaders have not changed at all.  A liar from start to finish and a man who has no concept of the truth whatsoever.  If you can stomach it, his appalling speech is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-62804887 (N.B. there are plenty more lies in the speech too, but I'll leave you all to play spot the lies).

His true legacy goes far beyond trashing the office of prime minister and public institutions though.  The lie that is Brexit continues to destroy the United Kingdom and his behaviour having been endorsed by the Conservative Party, much of the printed media, and many of Conservative party members, means that successors can just behave in the same way.  Liz Truss has already done so by casually cancelling a major interview with the BBC at the last minute because she was 'too busy', yet she has had plenty of time to insult the president of France and to go around playing to favourable Conservative Party member crowds at hustings.  The quality of democracy in this country has never been so low.  This excellent video sums up his true legacy: Johnson’s legacy: he got the big calls wrong - YouTube

All of this begs the question, where on earth does the United Kingdom go from here?  I do not see anything getter better.  Truss is another person who states what she thinks her audience wants to hear and is without principals.  She is also advocating incredibly ineffective policies to address the challenges that the UK faces and continuing to peddle the Brexit lie.  The situation is truly dire and I see no light at the end of the tunnel.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: The End of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2022, 12:57:22 AM »
I'd heard that you guys were replacing Johnson after he had trouble getting people to join his government, but I hadn't realized things had gotten so bad, or that he was going to be replaced with another similar person :( I hope things improve soon.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2022, 04:36:27 PM »
I imagine the sigh Irisado gave out once Boris had finally resigned for real could be detected across the world.

The Truss government is unfortunately hobbled by the fact she's a complete and utter beslubbering idiot and with no ideas beyond getting the job. Like Boris was. Her cabinet is already looking to be the amphetamine parrotshow we expected and her first directives as bigoted as predicted. Like Boris. So, more of the same but potentially more stupid and mean, if that were unfortunately possible.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2022, 06:01:28 PM »
When Johnson had to go to Balmoral to see the Queen to resign there were claps of thunder and some lightning as he arrived.  I like to think that this was the UK cleansing itself of his lies and corruption.  The fact that Truss's speech was then delayed by a monumental thunderstorm outside Downing Street was also very apt.

I am so glad to see the back of Johnson, but as Rummy right says, Truss is no more competent.  She's less corrupt, but she is totally out of her depth and has no policies.  She just said all the right things to the tiny portion of the electorate that Conservative Party members represent, in order to become their party leader and then prime minister by default.  Her solution to everything is to cut taxes and to deregulate!  The fact that she has promoted Jacob Rees-Mogg to be responsible for aspects of climate change and energy policy tells you all you need to know.  This is an ideological government that has no concept of practical or appropriate policy making.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 08:02:42 AM »
Finally, after weeks of dereliction of duty lying on a beach in Greece and, most recently, conducting a farewell tour (yes you read that right), the law breaking liar Johnson has resigned.  I so wish that I could relish the moment, but the incoming prime minister is scarcely an improvemnent.  In addition, Johnson's mendacity, corruption, and utter denial that he done anything wrong have, perhaps permanently, undermined the office of prime minister and tarnished the institutions of government in this country.

Though he is utterly contemptible as a human being and his premiership was the worst of any British premiership that I'm aware of, there is one thing for which I think he deserves credit. He did continue previous British governments' policy of supporting Ukraine and even dialed up that support after the Russian invasion earlier this year. I think of it as the small silver lining on what is otherwise an unmitigated disaster.

I imagine the sigh Irisado gave out once Boris had finally resigned for real could be detected across the world.

Now that you mention it I did feel a draft the other day! ;D

All of this begs the question, where on earth does the United Kingdom go from here?  I do not see anything getter better.  Truss is another person who states what she thinks her audience wants to hear and is without principals.  She is also advocating incredibly ineffective policies to address the challenges that the UK faces and continuing to peddle the Brexit lie.  The situation is truly dire and I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Here's the most optimistic scenario I could think of. The Tories continue to run the country into the ground till the next general election. Labour wins by a landslide and gets started on rebuilding the UK or what's left of it. It'll only be 2025 by then so there's a decent chance Scotland and Northern Ireland will still be in. Although I'm not sure I should be happy about that fact for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The Truss government is unfortunately hobbled by the fact she's a complete and utter beslubbering idiot and with no ideas beyond getting the job. Like Boris was. Her cabinet is already looking to be the amphetamine parrotshow we expected and her first directives as bigoted as predicted. Like Boris. So, more of the same but potentially more stupid and mean, if that were unfortunately possible.

But she's in favour of British dairy farmers producing more cheese! How can you be against that, you cheese-hating monster?

I am so glad to see the back of Johnson, but as Rummy right says, Truss is no more competent.  She's less corrupt, but she is totally out of her depth and has no policies.  She just said all the right things to the tiny portion of the electorate that Conservative Party members represent, in order to become their party leader and then prime minister by default.  Her solution to everything is to cut taxes and to deregulate!  The fact that she has promoted Jacob Rees-Mogg to be responsible for aspects of climate change and energy policy tells you all you need to know.  This is an ideological government that has no concept of practical or appropriate policy making.

Say what now?! I already had a low opinion of her but that's just mental. Her policy for dealing with the energy crisis was in the news this week. It seems like a terrible idea to just put a cap on people's energy bills because it would favour the rich as much as or more than the poor and remove any cost incentive beyond a certain point to reduce consumption. Indiscriminately handing out money like that is also going to play hell with the public budget and inflation. Labour really are going to have their work cut out for them once they finally get back in to power.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 12:17:28 PM »
Though he is utterly contemptible as a human being and his premiership was the worst of any British premiership that I'm aware of, there is one thing for which I think he deserves credit. He did continue previous British governments' policy of supporting Ukraine and even dialed up that support after the Russian invasion earlier this year. I think of it as the small silver lining on what is otherwise an unmitigated disaster.

He does not even deserve credit for that.  Yes, he has been supportive, but so have the leaders of all the main political parties.  In addition, he went over there to divert attention away from his domestic problems.  This is a classic deflection tactic that is employed by all leaders when they are in trouble at home and Johnson simply used this old form of distraction to achieve the same ends.  It is important to point out too that his governement presided over an utterly contemptable and mismanged refugee scheme for Ukrainians that has been an embarrassment (yet another one) to the United Kingdom.

Here's the most optimistic scenario I could think of. The Tories continue to run the country into the ground till the next general election. Labour wins by a landslide and gets started on rebuilding the UK or what's left of it. It'll only be 2025 by then so there's a decent chance Scotland and Northern Ireland will still be in. Although I'm not sure I should be happy about that fact for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

This is also the most optimistic scenario I can think of, but even if this were to materialise, the UK would remain outside the EU and adrift with no clear purpose and surrounded by alienated allies.  Keir Starmer has made it clear that he will not take the UK back into the EU.  My question is who will?  This is the only way to save this country from itself.  The bare minimum would be rejoining the single market with a Norwegian style agreement with the EU, but this also appears to have been ruled out.  Domestic policy making would at least improve and ideological tax cutting would disappear, but that is not enough.

Say what now?! I already had a low opinion of her but that's just mental. Her policy for dealing with the energy crisis was in the news this week. It seems like a terrible idea to just put a cap on people's energy bills because it would favour the rich as much as or more than the poor and remove any cost incentive beyond a certain point to reduce consumption. Indiscriminately handing out money like that is also going to play hell with the public budget and inflation. Labour really are going to have their work cut out for them once they finally get back in to power.

Labour will inherit an absolute mess when they do eventually get back in.  It's going to be difficult for them.  The Truss solution to all problems is to cut taxes and deregulate to stimulate growth.  The fact that the NHS, schools, universities, social services, social care, and just about any other public service you care to mention are on their knees due to lack of staff and lack of funding tells you all you need to know about how effective cutting taxes is going to be.

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 02:28:21 AM »

This is also the most optimistic scenario I can think of, but even if this were to materialise, the UK would remain outside the EU and adrift with no clear purpose and surrounded by alienated allies.  Keir Starmer has made it clear that he will not take the UK back into the EU.  My question is who will?  This is the only way to save this country from itself.  The bare minimum would be rejoining the single market with a Norwegian style agreement with the EU, but this also appears to have been ruled out.  Domestic policy making would at least improve and ideological tax cutting would disappear, but that is not enough.

I have an inklink that Starmer would very much like to have the UK rejoin the EU but he hasn't come out and said it because he thinks it would cost him support in the current political climate. I suspect he hopes that a few more years of Tory rule will be enough to sour public opinion on both the Tories and Brexit, allowing him to very gingerly get a foot in the door again with the EU. I hope he's right. If that is indeed his plan, it unfortunately takes no account of the British public's apparent appetite for swallowing lies from the Tories and Tory-aligned media. If Labour does win the next general election, I'd expect their first deal with the EU to be sold as 'common-sense measures to improve the flow of trade' in a particular product or industry or some such. It would be a far cry from EU membership, but I don't think the EU would be willing to let the UK back in just like that anyway.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 08:33:30 AM »
I think that this may well be the scenario.  Labour's problem is that the majority of the media is naturally hostile towards the party.  Blair's solution of cosying up to Murdoch was not a good solution though.  There needs to be a complete and wholesale push back against the right wing media in this country for any progressive politics to gain ground and have any chance of taking the United Kingdom in a positive direction.  Quite how to achieve this when all the politicians are terrified of the Murdoch press is beyond me.

I agree that some kind of enhanced deal is the only possibility in the short-term.  As the Norwegian government pointed out to the UK government a few years ago now though, being in EFTA works very well for Norway because of its relatively small population and its trading needs.  It's nowhere near as effective for the UK because of the financial services sector and how much this country relies on it.  Still, any kind of EFTA-like deal would be welcome compared to the awful situation that we are currently in.

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 02:42:03 AM »
The Tories under Truss certainly know how to efficiently ruin an economy. Dutch economist Mathijs Bouman wrote this scathing column in het financieele dagblad (translation by yours truly):

Not exceptional
The Conservative British Chancellor of the Exchequer announced an expensive plan to 'drive growth'. There was an energy crisis and his plan produced even more inflation. Financial markets accordingly had no faith in it and the pound went into free fall. Eventually the United Kingdom, like some developing country, had to call upon the IMF for the largest bailout package ever.

This happened fifty years ago, during the oil crisis. I cannot be the first person to point out the remarkable similarity to the current situation. The new Conservative Chancellor of the Exchequer, Kwasi Kwarteng, presented an expensive package full of tax cuts for the rich last week. It was supposed to increase growth. Financial markets did not buy it and investors voted with their feet. The pound dropped and British interest rates spiked.

Fifty years after the shameful IMF assistance, Britons apparently still do not get it. The United Kingdom is no longer a global empire, the pound is no longer a global currency and the country's residents are not exempt from harsh economic laws.

http://fd.nl/opinie/1453178/not-exceptional

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 07:51:40 AM »
The end of Johnson has heralded nothing new.  In fact, this government is much more right wing and has adopted the 1980s trickle-down approach to the economy only with even more extreme tax cuts than Thatcher ever implemented.  It's purely ideological and is not working.  The Bank of England had to intervene after an emergency meeting by increasing interest rates and the IMF, which is hardly a bastion of left wing policies and political thought, has essentially pointed out that the new Chancellor's economic plan is too neo-liberal!  I never expected a Conservative government to have its economic policy so comprehensively demolished by the IMF.

In the midst of all this mess, Truss has been going around practising her best 'the lady's not for turning' defence on radio networks up and down the country.  She is totally clueless.  It's not just her ideological policy making that is the problem, rather it is that she is really stupid.  This was known before she got the job and yet she still obtained it.  This says so much about Conservative party members and does not portray them in a positive light.

I had hoped to buy a house.  That plan is now in serious jeopardy because of this government.  Please get me out of here.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #10 on: October 3, 2022, 08:22:11 PM »
I gotta admit, I didn't expect it to get THIS BAD THIS QUICKLY.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 04:03:48 PM »
It has become even worse and even sooner than I had anticipated too.  Liz Truss simply cannot survive after having to remove her own chancellor and, on top of that, these scenes in the House of Commons tonight: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63322533.  This is supposed to be a democratic country.  The entire way in which democracy functions has been undermined first by Johnson and now by Truss.  I've never seen anything like it here and it's absolutely reprehensible.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 05:37:19 PM »
The "2022 United Kingdom Government Crisis" section on Wiki is now having to specify *months*. As one person put it, the government isn't doing u-turns any more as much as donuts and hoping the car will explode.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 09:08:53 PM »
Wouldn't it be amazing if elected officials could act like adults instead of petulant children?

Honestly, the way this is all described reminds me of the great Canadian scandal of 2016 referred to as... Boob-gate!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 12:54:27 PM »
Truss has gone down as the shortest-serving prime minister in UK history. What happens next? Another internal Tory election I assume?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:57:19 PM by PaxImperatrix »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 03:48:19 PM »
Saw this comment on Facebook, gave me a chuckle:

"Only two more PMs til Christmas."

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 05:05:57 PM »
Another internal Tory election I assume?

The same useless rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?s that voted for her get to have another go end of next week because why stop failing hard now.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 07:33:43 AM »
They don't have anyone competent to do the job.  The only competent Conservatives either stood down at the last election or were removed by Johnson prior to that election because they refused to sign up to his 'no deal' Brexit threat against the EU.  They thus had to stand as independents and all unsurprisingly lost as a result.  The current Conservative Party largely comprises a bunch ideoglogues with absolutely no experience or talent whatsoever.

What happens next? Another internal Tory election I assume?

Yes.  They have set the bar higher this time though by modifying the rules: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62068930
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 07:47:15 AM by Irisado »

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
At the rate they are going through Prime Ministers, one would almost hope for some kingly flexing of power and for Charles to just dissolve government to allow the people to elect a competent government.

Won't happen, but you almost wish it would.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 03:05:48 PM »
It would be helpful, but he does not have the consitutional power to do so.  The king or queen in the UK has incredibly limited power in this regard.  They can only accept the resignation of a prime minister and invite the new prime minister elect to form a government.  Other heads of state in Europe have more powers, for example the President of Italy can refuse to grant requests made by political parties for an election, while the king of Spain formally invites one of the party leaders, usually the leader of the largest party, to form a government.