News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is it acceptable to use the word "rape" to describe a game of 40k?  (Read 10349 times)

Offline Krud Hole

• Ork Yoof
Re: Is it acceptable to use the word "rape" to describe a game of 40k?
« Reply #60 on: June 9, 2011, 05:53:47 AM »

This argument is Pathetic Assuming a fact that people think less of the term because of usage is a fallacy in true form.
Any intelligent, mature individual can tell the difference between the word in Context, and non-context form. You assume that only intelligent/mature people do not use the term 'rape' out of context, and this makes you discriminative, bias, and wrong.

This is a bold assumption, I would assert that a mature person wouldn't use this out of context. The fact you need to contest this suggests you are immature . Not quite a boy, not yet a man.

Did you (can you?) read the point I made? support your argument with credible, academic research. The reason why you can't is because it doesn't exist. You are one of the many pseudo intellectuals, talking a lot, with out saying anything. How quickly your tune would change where you the victim of this crime.

Offline Seraph Tenacious

« Reply #61 on: June 9, 2011, 06:03:21 AM »
Based on this almost academic non-response, I have hereby esteemed Krud Hole to be unworthy of conversing with!

Not sure what else can be said in this thread. Most of the points on both sides are already out there pretty thoroughly.

Offline Krud Hole

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #62 on: June 9, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »
Yes, thats right, peoples positions have been asserted. Go back through the posts and have a look at who is on which side of the line drawn in the sand. Some of the greatest tactical and strategical minds find it offensive, suggesting that people of genuine intelligence find it offensive.

Seraphs genius response is to find me unworthy in conversation, woe betide me. Once again the initial point I made regarding academic evidence remains unsupported and unrefuted.

There seems to be a divide here, between those who understand the brutality of the crime and those who trivialize it. If your happy to use the term amongst friends then go nuts, it doesn't make you civilized. End of story. Use juvenile terms and you will be treated and judged as juveniles (which you are) thats it. Argue all you like, you exist on a lower rung of humanity.

Offline jebus-san

• Let them hate so long as they fear.
    • save the internet
« Reply #63 on: June 9, 2011, 06:55:56 AM »
Yes, thats right, peoples positions have been asserted. Go back through the posts and have a look at who is on which side of the line drawn in the sand. Some of the greatest tactical and strategical minds find it offensive, suggesting that people of genuine intelligence find it offensive.

Seraphs genius response is to find me unworthy in conversation, woe betide me. Once again the initial point I made regarding academic evidence remains unsupported and unrefuted.

There seems to be a divide here, between those who understand the brutality of the crime and those who trivialize it. If your happy to use the term amongst friends then go nuts, it doesn't make you civilized. End of story. Use juvenile terms and you will be treated and judged as juveniles (which you are) thats it. Argue all you like, you exist on a lower rung of humanity.

Im going to have to side with Seraphs on this one after having seen this statement. Even after having read this thread, i fail to see how just because someone of "genuine intelligence" finds something offensive how does that automatically makes it offensive to everyone and thus should some how be frowned upon.  Also if you want to have an academic argument then please follow the rules yourself. In philosophy 1010 you will learn that just because A=B does not automatically mean that B must equal A. Aka, just because some people regardless of how "intelligent" they are find something offensive, does not by any means make that something offensive.

I also enjoy how if someone doesnt seem to follow your exact view point then they are by default "juvenile" and thus exist on "a lower rung of humanity" you talk about academic evidence and yet you boast facts like this one with little to no backing yourself. Also i believe arguments like this one have been made before... in elementary school. "you dont agree with me? well thats ok your just a stinky head anyway"

your problem is that "Some of the greatest tactical and strategical minds find it offensive, suggesting that people of genuine intelligence find it offensive." is simply not an argument, but a mater of opinion. And thus your final statement is null and void as it contradicts itself as it is itself juvenile
Save the Internet!!! go to Save the Internet | Join the fight for Internet Freedom | Free Press to see whats going on

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #64 on: June 9, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »
I wouldn't use the word, simply because it doesn't seem fitting to me... the same way calling things gay in lieu of boring/bad never sat right to me. My initial problem wasn't that I was particularly offended by the word, or concerned about people who might be (although perhaps I should have been more concerned about them in hindsight). It's just that they didn't seem like the right adjective to use use because more "standard" words were available that conveyed the meaning just as well (ie: saying boring conveys the meaning of boring really well. Perfectly, even. Why should I say gay instead?).

I hope that makes sense. I feel like I worded it badly.

Beyond that though, if whoever I'm around happens to be sensitive to whatever the word is, I wouldn't think twice about stopping its usage. I mean.... why should I? Do I really care? Does it take that much effort on my part to just not say it and make them happy? The (1: --> 2: --> 3: --> 4: Profit) thing can come off as a bit snarky, but it makes a good point. I think there's some virtue in being arbitrarily considerate towards other people. Some people might have no problem. Others might have experienced it but "got over" it like Random Guardsman's friends. I'm sure a good many people haven't been able to "get over" it though.

Even if you think it's an issue of oversensitivity - and I'd probably agree with you if you said that apart from people who've been (in)directly effected by rape, oversensitivity is a big issue - why does that have to matter? Just because someone is being oversensitive to an issue doesn't mean you should want to/be willing to offend them. More to the point, you're acting virtuously if you go out of your way to accommodate them even if they are oversensitive, so why not just take the high road and do so? That is to say, using the word might not absolutely be a bad thing, but refraining from using it is certainly a good thing on some (perhaps very minor) level. If you do good things, you'll be a better wo/man for it.

So I guess where I land is that I wouldn't use it in a public forum in the first place, because I think better words are available. Secondly, if I /were/ to use it in a public forum and someone politely asked me not to, I'd stop without thinking twice. Only if they rudely asked me not to would I take any issue with the request at all.

And I think Sheepz had an interesting point too, in re: rape and murder. Both are serious issues, and on one level that's readily apparent to most everyone. But on the other hand it really is true that a lot of people acknowledge rape as being serious on one level, but then qualify it or whatever so as to not acknowledge it on another. You know. The whole "yeah, it's awful, but what was she doing in clothes like that on her own at 2am?" thing some people jump to. The stats he brought up go towards this point fairly well (although its a complex issue, and I don't think you should assume rape cases necessarily should have an equal number of convictions as all criminal cases on average either). So if you're "making light" of murder as an adjective, it's pretty much apparent. If you're "making light" of rape as an adjective or verb it might be apparent but.... a lot of people don't necessarily think about it the way you might imagine they would. After he brought that up I do see the point there.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2011, 10:25:44 AM by starstrider »

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #65 on: June 9, 2011, 12:09:14 PM »
I would assert that a mature person wouldn't use this out of context. The fact you need to contest this suggests you are immature . Not quite a boy, not yet a man.

So assuming you are right, and others are wrong, just because they think different makes them less mature? This shows a lack of Maturity, beyond what you claim others lack.

Did you (can you?) read the point I made? support your argument with credible, academic research. The reason why you can't is because it doesn't exist. You are one of the many pseudo intellectuals, talking a lot, with out saying anything. How quickly your tune would change where you the victim of this crime.

I read it, but you have shown that you have failed to read, and continue to show it.  You have failed to support your ideas with any form of credibility, yet seem to have a double standard for others.  Telling others they are stupid, because they think differently, shows a massive lack of intelligence.

Some of the greatest tactical and strategical minds find it offensive, suggesting that people of genuine intelligence find it offensive.

So intelligent people can not disagree with you?  Then what is the point of a Discussion, if there are only smart people on one side? Once again, you show a lack of maturity, and Intelligent by this remark. Assuming things shows a lack of intelligence.

I understand the brutality of the crime, AND have had to help people that have had it happen to them. Yet I am not on your side. Using it does not trivialize it, you assume it does, without backing up how with academic research to prove it, as you have accused us of.  Using it does not make us less civilized either, as being civilized is not judged on a bell curve, nor a set level. Using immature statements, Assuming things, and belittling others, is definitely showing us who the juvenile is.

I follow the Seraph and Jebus in saying you are unworthy of talking too. Belittling others for different views, and coming up with bogus, bias, derogatory statements, then claiming others of Immaturity, and being uncivilized, makes you very unpleasant to speak with.
I suggest engaging your brain before opening your mouth. I will also suggest stepping out into the real world, and seeing how it works for once, because common sense is a great thing to gain.  :P
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline Hanith

• Not on speaking terms with my dice.
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #66 on: June 9, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
  Agreed with Guardsman. It seems that many of the opposed (not using offensive terms) side's argument have devolved to elaborated "You're stupid/juvenile." (Especially Krud's "I'm right, you're wrong and less than human.")
  I'm still at a loss as to how Govt. stats help to support not using "rape". Everyone for its use agrees that rape is indeed a terrible thing; but we also agree that the meanings of "I'm gonna rape your sister." and "My Banshees just raped your Warriors." are quite different. I wonder if any of the opposed has found the film Gran Torino enjoyable, or somehow found Eastwood's character to be stupid or juvenile as they state that is what using such language does.
According to multiple online, and the couple printed I had laying around, dictionaries, saying "My banshees just raped you." Is VERY acceptable by definition of the word. Please see ALL bold entries. Anyone who take offense to using a word correctly may want to do some reading least they get all puffed up about some grape pulp or mustard.

rape
- 14 dictionary results
(EDIT: removed a couple stray advertisements that slipped through)

rape
1    [reyp] Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap·ing.
–noun
the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
statutory rape.
Expand

–verb (used with object)
to force to have sexual intercourse.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.

–verb (used without object)
to commit rape.
Use rape in a Sentence
Origin:
1250–1300;  (v.) Middle English rapen  < Anglo-French raper  < Latin rapere  to seize, carry off by force, plunder; (noun) Middle English  < Anglo-French ra ( a ) p ( e ), derivative of raper

—Related forms
rap·a·ble, rape·a·ble, adjective
rap·ist, rap·er, noun
un·raped, adjective
Explore the Visual Thesaurus »
Related Words for : rape
Brassica napus, colza, rapine, despoil, plunder
View more related words »

rape
2    [reyp] Show IPA
–noun
a plant, Brassica napus,  of the mustard family, whose leaves are used for food for hogs, sheep, etc., and whose seeds yield rape oil.
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English  (< Middle French ) < Latin rāpum  (neuter), rāpa  (feminine) turnip; cognate with Greek rhápys
rape
3    [reyp] Show IPA
–noun
the residue of grapes, after the juice has been extracted, used as a filter in making vinegar.
Origin:
1590–1600;  < French râpe  < Germanic;  compare Old High German raspōn  to scrape
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.
Cite This Source
|
Link To rape
World English Dictionary
rape 1  (reɪp) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
1.    See also statutory rape the offence of forcing a person, esp a woman, to submit to sexual intercourse against that person's will
2.    the act of despoiling a country in warfare; rapine
3.    any violation or abuse: the rape of justice
4.    archaic  abduction: the rape of the Sabine women

— vb
5.    to commit rape upon (a person)
6.    ( also intr ) to plunder or despoil (a place) in war
7.    archaic  to carry off by force; abduct

To see the results yourself go to www.dictionary.com and search "rape".
« Last Edit: June 9, 2011, 12:44:19 PM by Hanith »
For me: 16.667% chance of failure equates to a 83.334% failure rate.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #67 on: June 9, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
[gmod]Intelligence is proven through deeds and not claimed as a title. For example - *click* Once we degenerate into dictionary definitions and personal mud slinging the topic is at an end.[/gmod]
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.