News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is it acceptable to use the word "rape" to describe a game of 40k?  (Read 13305 times)

Offline Seraph Tenacious

Re: Is it acceptable to use the word "rape" to describe a game of 40k?
« Reply #40 on: June 7, 2011, 10:54:18 PM »
Sheepz, it sounds like what you are saying is that you think that rape is a serious matter, and you feel that the casual use of the word rape trivializes the issue of rape. You would say that even in a scenario where no rape victims are present, it is an inappropriate term to use simply because of how serious rape is. I hope that this accurately describes your position, because that is what I am responding to here.

I think that it is first and foremost worth clarifying that the general context that this term is used in is in a male-on-male environment. A man beats another man at a game of some kind, and then "raped!" is thrown out. The usage really has its origins in homosexual prison-rape. It is not uncommon for a graphically inclined male to exclaim "my ass hurts!" rather than actually say "you raped me". My point here is that this shouldn't be considered to be a women's issue, primarily. The term is a form of aggressive male vs. male competitive spirit, either grudging or triumphant.

Perhaps even with this in mind you are yet bothered. It might not change a thing for you. But consider this: humans are very prone to exaggeration and hyperbole. If rape is to be considered the worst personal experience one can have in terms of violation and trauma, then it should be considered an excellent word to use if one wishes to express great perturbation over a defeat. Exaggeration is a very common part of language, and in every other instance it seems very easy to make the distinction and say, "I understand. You didn't really mean you lifted a billion pounds." Why is it that when the word "rape" is used, this distinction becomes less apparent? Why is it more threatening? In my mind, the fault should lie not in the exaggerator, but in the incompetent linguist who failed to recognize the device being used.

That's all for now.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #41 on: June 7, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »
To the OP:

When you put forth your name and opinion into the world, you are responsible for what you receive.

If you choose to use the word "Rape" you can expect that some people will not even notice, while some people will become offended. If you care that others might take a negative view towards that, you'll want to avoid using it. If you don't care that others might take a negative view, you have no reason to avoid it.

In the end, what you put into the world says what it says about you. Amongst my buddies, and this has been touched on already, we used to call everything bad "Gay". I've grown, met people, and although it still slips out from time to time I try to avoid it because it makes me look and feel like an ignoramus. I've thought it through, and in my mind there's nothing inherently wrong with being homosexual, so to imply otherwise makes me look like an imbecile.

Not everyone would look at it that way, and I could probably go along for the rest of my life calling things by any given derogatory term and not suffer for it, but I'd know, you know?

To apply that to the casual use of the word "Rape", I'd say that you could probably go around for the rest of your life slinging it about with careless abandon, but here on the forum there's only one way to know you, and that's by what you write. If you come across as callous, that's what you'll be treated as. You may be a great guy in real life, but if you're a jerk here that's how you'll be known and treated.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #42 on: June 8, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
Sheepz, it sounds like what you are saying is that you think that rape is a serious matter, and you feel that the casual use of the word rape trivializes the issue of rape. You would say that even in a scenario where no rape victims are present, it is an inappropriate term to use simply because of how serious rape is. I hope that this accurately describes your position, because that is what I am responding to here.

It's fairly close, although that description is a bit Mary Whitehouse for my liking.

I think that it is first and foremost worth clarifying that the general context that this term is used in is in a male-on-male environment. A man beats another man at a game of some kind, and then "raped!" is thrown out. The usage really has its origins in homosexual prison-rape. It is not uncommon for a graphically inclined male to exclaim "my ass hurts!" rather than actually say "you raped me". My point here is that this shouldn't be considered to be a women's issue, primarily. The term is a form of aggressive male vs. male competitive spirit, either grudging or triumphant.

Well, to counter that claim, really, regardless of whom the primary concerned party is - and I will still say women - it is not an adequate justification for it's use. Context doesn't somehow make everything better. I mean, male on male rape is still rape. It doesn't gain a degree of respectability as a result of it's origins in the penal system. Regardless, my issue is not exclusively with the context in which it is said, but the attitude for saying it and why that term - rather than any other - is used. Out of all the interesting, eloquent, funny or creative ways you can say 'I lost badly', why say 'Rape'? Why did this word enter useage in this context in the first place?

Perhaps even with this in mind you are yet bothered. It might not change a thing for you. But consider this: humans are very prone to exaggeration and hyperbole. If rape is to be considered the worst personal experience one can have in terms of violation and trauma, then it should be considered an excellent word to use if one wishes to express great perturbation over a defeat.

Why? Your entire argument rests on 'because I like to exaggerate, I like to throw the word rape about'. It's not particularly academic, really.

Exaggeration is a very common part of language, and in every other instance it seems very easy to make the distinction and say, "I understand. You didn't really mean you lifted a billion pounds." Why is it that when the word "rape" is used, this distinction becomes less apparent? Why is it more threatening?

Here I think you have misunderstood me. I have attempted to clarify tha when I am in an enviroment, regardless of the spectators or people, I am not offended by the word rape. I recogize that no sexual violation between the two parties has actually taken place. They are misusing the word. I understand that. The distinction is not less apparent. However, as I have said previously, and will continue to say, I find it distasteful and stupid.

Rape is one of the most abhorant things that human beings can do to one another. Taken without any exaggeration to it's logical conclusion, it is synonomous with torture. In both scenarios you have a powerless individual stripped of their rights, decency, or any other basic humanity and subjected to a foul, degraging and painful practice for the gratification of the offender. It is a word that should not be used to describe anything less than the correct context. It should never be trivialised to that level.

In my mind, the fault should lie not in the exaggerator, but in the incompetent linguist who failed to recognize the device being used.

Would you not say that the incompetent linguist was the one who failed to find any more suitable a phrase to use in relation his defeat, or the one who just didn't like him using the word rape, in whatever context, for whatever reason. I would.

Just to help out, here is a free online thesaurus. It contains many clever words that can be used in place of rape. Some of them hyperlink to their own page, which contain more clever words. You can have hours of fun with it.

EDIT: Didn't realize I'd not finished.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 09:24:05 AM by Sheepz »

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #43 on: June 8, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »
I'm with Sheepz here. The use of the word is distasteful. The fact that someone is trying to justify and document its use implies that they know it is distasteful or at very least they believe there is a doubt in their mind and are therefore seeking a clarification shows that the word is not in common polite usage and therefore should be shunned.

The fact that he word is in common use and bandied around does not make it acceptable. Hwat you say in the comfort of your like minded friends is one thing but this is a public area with many people whos background and history you do not know.

If you take a minute to contemplate the true nature of the word and what it means to the victims of such a word I think any Human being will begin to realise the abhorent nature of that word.

If we are seeking parrallels how would it be appreciated if some one were to say "I just 9/11'd you" or "I'm gonna take you to the gas chamber" or "If my wraiths don't get you  Uncle Idi will!"

All throw away comments, all meant in harmless fun but still DEEPLY offensive and very hurtful.

There is also the issue of setting a precedent here. If, and this is of course entirely possible, If I lose this argument and the use of the word is then documented on this site as being acceptable parlence then that has a reflection on this site. I don't think I'm alone in saying that a fair number of people who use this site would not want to be associated with such a place.

We all live in the real world, we all hear, see, say things that are morrally and ethically questionable. Hell I laughed at a dwarf the other day! But it still doens't make it right.

Offline Awfully Dandy

« Reply #44 on: June 8, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
I'm with Sheepz here. The use of the word is distasteful. The fact that someone is trying to justify and document its use implies that they know it is distasteful or at very least they believe there is a doubt in their mind and are therefore seeking a clarification shows that the word is not in common polite usage and therefore should be shunned.

I'm not sure if I agree. To me, language is a vehicle for expression, it is about communicating ideas, the words themselves facilitate this process but they are not the end of it. However, as noted words can come to carry a default meaning. However simply to act that if someone says "he raped me" is evil is wrong. Usuages change and alter.

I will however agree with you that in public there is no reason to say it in a jokey fashion. I would say that anything that violates the golden rule of 40k (have fun) due to forcing people to recall painfull memories is not good. The guys I play at my gaming club are on firendly terms with me and I with them but I don't know there personnal history so it is silly to cause offence when it could be avoided.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #45 on: June 8, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »
The way I look at it is this.  Say your opponent was a female gamer and you were walking down the street talking with a friend who also happens to be a gamer.  If you beat your opponent and were laughing about it with your friend and said "Oh man, I totally raped that girl last night," how do you think people passing you on the street would react?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
« Reply #46 on: June 8, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
Some people (most likely women) may have issues with using rapped as a term to describe how bad you lost by. 

I don't get this. Although its a taboo issue, men get raped as well. Its particular prevalent in institutions such as prisons etc
While men do in fact get raped, women, at least in the U.S. are much more likely to fall victim to sexual assault than men.  So my assumption was just most victims of sexual assault are women, and then therefore women may be more likely to have issues with using rape as a casual slang for "loss".

The way I look at it is this.  Say your opponent was a female gamer and you were walking down the street talking with a friend who also happens to be a gamer.  If you beat your opponent and were laughing about it with your friend and said "Oh man, I totally raped that girl last night," how do you think people passing you on the street would react?
They probably would just as confused as if you said "Oh man, I totally murdered that girl last night."  Context is everything
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 11:15:35 AM by Blood Hawk »

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #47 on: June 8, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »
They probably would just as confused as if you said "Oh man, I totally murdered that girl last night." 

Which is equally as inappropriate

Offline jebus-san

• Let them hate so long as they fear.
    • save the internet
« Reply #48 on: June 8, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
I'm surprised no-one has posted this video yet- (nsfw uses the F word)

Dane Cook - "That's So Gay" & Raped

But in all seriousness, my problem is this. I dont know how as a society we are to balance something like this. If someone told me that they raped me in a video game or that i raped them or whatever i would laugh and find it ok. Other people wouldnt. So the question becomes, how do you balance the fact that some people get offended by certain words while not prohibiting other peoples freedoms and rights to say what they want. For those who say that its terrible that people are saying stuff like gay and rape, look, the English language is fluid. Gay a few hundred years ago meant happy. Now it is a term for homosexual. However, it is becoming used more and more as a term for something stupid. When someone says thats so gay, they generaly arnt meaning it as a derogitory statement, they are meaning it as what the new terminology is aka stupid. Look, we are living in the information age, where the spread of ideas is faster then ever. We cant simply sit back and expect language to always stay the same. No-one wants to invent new words to use. Hundreds of years ago you would have been slapped in the face for saying the word panties and the idea of saying it on national tv was simply unthinkable. Now, we have victoria secret fashion shows every year. words change, they pick up new meanings, loose old meanings, thats the way it is. and to think otherwise is simply foolish.
Save the Internet!!! go to Save the Internet | Join the fight for Internet Freedom | Free Press to see whats going on

Offline Aireoth

• Join us, we have Pi.
« Reply #49 on: June 8, 2011, 04:29:48 PM »
If you want to see it from an language evolution perspective, I think we will see the increasing prevalence of words like: Epic, fail, rape. Its becoming internet jargon, and as the generation grows that developed that jargon the use and meaning of words morphs. For example S*&t, now its a swear, back in the 17th century it was a term developed for the transportation of manure. Due to the build up of explosive fumes when stored below ships deck, manure was marked S.H.I.T or ship high in transport *considered a possible myth, but its origins are from that time period*. Words change, every generation, words like frick and piss used to be cusses, now they have been diluted. Gay used to mean happy, queer weird. The list is endless.

Is rape acceptable today to use in general public, not unless you've got good reason to use it (say an anti-rape campaign), will it be in the future, I think its highly likely, it will either grow in use and its meaning will alter accordingly (say the complete and wanton destruction of a group or individual) or it will fade from popular use and stay limited to its current definition.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 04:33:12 PM by Aireoth »
W/L/D
52/24/8

Offline Seraph Tenacious

« Reply #50 on: June 8, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »
Well, to counter that claim, really, regardless of whom the primary concerned party is - and I will still say women - it is not an adequate justification for it's use. Context doesn't somehow make everything better. I mean, male on male rape is still rape. It doesn't gain a degree of respectability as a result of it's origins in the penal system. Regardless, my issue is not exclusively with the context in which it is said, but the attitude for saying it and why that term - rather than any other - is used. Out of all the interesting, eloquent, funny or creative ways you can say 'I lost badly', why say 'Rape'? Why did this word enter useage in this context in the first place?

I do think though that male-on-male rape is generally not quite as traumatizing. It is more of a dominance thing in the prisons. It is really a far different message than forcing oneself on and violating a woman. It might still be bad, but it does change the issue. I personally prefer to say "sodomize", simply to clarify this and to make it more eloquent. However, "rape" is used for essentially the same reason any coarse or offensive word might be used. Using words that are vulgar or offensive feel satisfying when one is jubilant or upset. It appeals to the more base emotions that we all share. If you prefer not to dabble in that, then that's just a personal preference.

Rape is one of the most abhorant things that human beings can do to one another. Taken without any exaggeration to it's logical conclusion, it is synonomous with torture. In both scenarios you have a powerless individual stripped of their rights, decency, or any other basic humanity and subjected to a foul, degraging and painful practice for the gratification of the offender. It is a word that should not be used to describe anything less than the correct context. It should never be trivialised to that level.

Why? Why is it that something horrible should not be used lightly? The act of rape is not being trivialized; only the word.

Would you not say that the incompetent linguist was the one who failed to find any more suitable a phrase to use in relation his defeat, or the one who just didn't like him using the word rape, in whatever context, for whatever reason. I would.

This position is much more easily defended than the one that you seemed to previously espouse. If you find it to be a very inelegant word that simply makes you appear less educated and articulate, then I can completely agree with you.

Offline Krud Hole

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #51 on: June 8, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »
Hundreds of years ago you would have been slapped in the face for saying the word panties and the idea of saying it on national tv was simply unthinkable. Now, we have victoria secret fashion shows every year. words change, they pick up new meanings, loose old meanings, thats the way it is. and to think otherwise is simply foolish.

I heard Henry the Eights' favorite TV show was Jersey Shore 

The concept here is not that words shouldn't adopt a new meaning, it is that rape has a meaning, it is the only single word that we have to describe a forced, unwanted sexual encounter and therefore to give it new meaning removes the connotations that are associated with the word, disempowering the term.

I do think though that male-on-male rape is generally not quite as traumatizing. It is more of a dominance thing in the prisons. It is really a far different message than forcing oneself on and violating a woman. It might still be bad, but it does change the issue. I personally prefer to say "sodomize", simply to clarify this and to make it more eloquent. However, "rape" is used for essentially the same reason any coarse or offensive word might be used. Using words that are vulgar or offensive feel satisfying when one is jubilant or upset. It appeals to the more base emotions that we all share. If you prefer not to dabble in that, then that's just a personal preference.
This is one of the most obscene arguments I have ever heard. Lets break this down shall we: 1) If a 5 year old boy is raped by his father it is less traumatizing than a 5 year old girl being raped by her father? absolute rubbish. This highlights you have no understanding of the subject and no ability to empathize with the victims of this act. 'Prison rape' is still rape, if you have not been to prison, know an ex-con very well or are an expert in the field of the punitive system don't make such unsupported arguments. If you wish to contest this point please support your answer with research by leading authorities in the field.

A second point of contention is the 'eloquence' of using the term 'sodomize'. If this is your idea of eloquence then I can understand why you a fervently supporting this misuse of the term rape. Sodomy is not rape. Non consensual sodomy is. To say that it's all about personal preference is ignorant to the fact that it is offensive to people. This is point is non contentious, it is offensive to some people. To trivialize it is even more so, it displays ignorance of the severity of the crime and ignorance of the English language.   
Why? Why is it that something horrible should not be used lightly? The act of rape is not being trivialized; only the word.

If you trivialize the word you trivialize the act, there is an inexplicable link between the two that you do not seem to understand. If the term is disempowered what term can then can be used to define the act?

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #52 on: June 8, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
If you trivialize the word you trivialize the act, there is an inexplicable link between the two that you do not seem to understand. If the term is disempowered what term can then can be used to define the act?

I do not think that by using the word out of context lessens the severity of the action in the mind of anyone with any Intelligence. People still know what it means either way it is used, and still do not take the original meaning with any less shock. It does not need another name, as the name it has works to full effect. 
Do not get me wrong, I do not use the word often, but it is in my vocabulary, and does make an appearance from time to time out of context, but I still know full well of the original meaning.

This is an issue that will not be fixed by a handful of people on the forum, as the word will keep being used out of context by people all over the world.  The current Fad runs with a severe fondness of Freedom of Speech, so it makes a few people angry either way. Would it be a good Idea to make it a word covered by the language Filter like several of the curse words? People could still us it, be it intentional, or habit, and people who do not want the profanity will see the funny text that the Filter provides. Missed Mr. Peanuts post in the Wall of texts.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 11:32:12 PM by RandomGuardsman »
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #53 on: June 8, 2011, 11:03:29 PM »
No, the swear filter is quite cromulent as it is. Embiggening words merely at the mere chance of offence aids no-one and hinders many and never ends. One is able to use these words, yet be prepared for the consequences of doing so. Freedom of speech means the government can't get at you*, it doesn't mean you're free of any consequences by doing so. Peanut already said that the word isn't banned, yet is discouraged without the right context.

*Your freedom may vary depending on telling the TSA agent that he's the bomb or that he's pissing you off and, as such, you're begging on being detained like a criminal for no beslubbering reason other than they can.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 11:06:52 PM by Koroirangi »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Krud Hole

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #54 on: June 9, 2011, 12:58:34 AM »

I do not think that by using the word out of context lessens the severity of the action in the mind of anyone with any Intelligence. People still know what it means either way it is used, and still do not take the original meaning with any less shock. It does not need another name, as the name it has works to full effect. 
Do not get me wrong, I do not use the word often, but it is in my vocabulary, and does make an appearance from time to time out of context, but I still know full well of the original meaning.

This is an issue that will not be fixed by a handful of people on the forum, as the word will keep being used out of context by people all over the world.  The current Fad runs with a severe fondness of Freedom of Speech, so it makes a few people angry either way.
[/quote]

This is a pathetic argument, and then assertion that anyone with 'intelligence' would not have the severity of the word lessened by out of context use is in itself a hipocracy. Any one with intelligence would understand the meaning of the term and not trivialize it, therefore not using it out of context. It is childish in the extreme. Your mention of freedom of speech is a joke. You reserve the right to use any term out of context and refuse to be judged for your actions? you can use the term rape and you will be thought of in a lesser manner for doing so, end of story. It is a crude use of the English language and insensitive.

All of the arguments supporting the use of the word rape in this forum have been childish at best. People are offended by talk like this, that is a fact. To use this word as an out of context verb is to shun vocabulary, opting for obscenity over creativity.

Talk to someone who has been gang raped, raped by a parent or raped by a stranger. Some of my closest friends have, if you  ever have to console someone this has happened to you would learn how obscene and offensive your arguments are.

Offline Seraph Tenacious

« Reply #55 on: June 9, 2011, 01:27:57 AM »
This is one of the most obscene arguments I have ever heard. Lets break this down shall we: 1) If a 5 year old boy is raped by his father it is less traumatizing than a 5 year old girl being raped by her father? absolute rubbish. This highlights you have no understanding of the subject and no ability to empathize with the victims of this act. 'Prison rape' is still rape, if you have not been to prison, know an ex-con very well or are an expert in the field of the punitive system don't make such unsupported arguments. If you wish to contest this point please support your answer with research by leading authorities in the field.

I would like you to know that I find your words here overly brash and offensive before I respond to them. You repeatedly underlay your points with very unsubtle insults directed at my person. This should be a logical conversation, not a heated debate with personal vested interest. By responding as you have you do nothing but confuse the issue further and insult your own intelligence. Okay, moving on: You need to read what I said previously. When I said "Male on Male rape", an adult male raping a 5 year old was not what I meant at all. I was specifically referring to the dominance act displayed in prisons by adult men.

Let me ask you, personally: If another man raped you, would it traumatize you for the rest of your life? Would it cause you to flinch and have flashbacks every time a man touched you? Would it damage your relationship with your spouse, causing you to recoil from their affection? I know for me it would do none of these things. It would probably just hurt like a be-atch. As I have not been ass-raped, I cannot say for certain. I have however had the amphetamine parrot kicked out of me in an alley, which in my mind is fairly similar if perhaps not as degrading.

A second point of contention is the 'eloquence' of using the term 'sodomize'. If this is your idea of eloquence then I can understand why you a fervently supporting this misuse of the term rape. Sodomy is not rape. Non consensual sodomy is. To say that it's all about personal preference is ignorant to the fact that it is offensive to people. This is point is non contentious, it is offensive to some people. To trivialize it is even more so, it displays ignorance of the severity of the crime and ignorance of the English language. 

It isn't a misuse of the term. It's simply a very specific use of it. If I say "I just got sodomized, rofl" in a video game, it is apparent from the context that it was non consensual. There are hundreds if not thousands of such givens in language; I find it startling that in this instance everything must be spelled out.

Now, obviously I agree. Saying "rape" offends some people. But why should this discourage me? I do not live my life to please others. Even if I did, there are so many potentially offensive things that could be done or said that it would be almost impossible to account for the opinions of everyone.

I clarify again: I have a very good idea of how serious rape is. My mother was raped and my girlfriend was molested. It is a very serious and close issue for me. I do not jokingly say that I rape girls. I will, however, jokingly use the word among male friends in a very specific way.

I beg to differ on this point. I can throw around the word "rape" and still take it seriously when it is about the real thing.

The crucial thing here is that most people understand the difference between comedy and reality. It is possible to laugh about domestic violence, even cry hysterically from laughing, without being a bad person. That same person might valiantly defend any women who he heard was being attacked. He might be the most chivalrous and decent guy on the planet. Being offended by "bad" jokes does not elevate you, make you more moral, more noble, or more eloquent. All it means is that you take life too seriously and are probably oversensitive.

This is a pathetic argument, and then assertion that anyone with 'intelligence' would not have the severity of the word lessened by out of context use is in itself a hipocracy. Any one with intelligence would understand the meaning of the term and not trivialize it, therefore not using it out of context. It is childish in the extreme. Your mention of freedom of speech is a joke. You reserve the right to use any term out of context and refuse to be judged for your actions? you can use the term rape and you will be thought of in a lesser manner for doing so, end of story. It is a crude use of the English language and insensitive.

All of the arguments supporting the use of the word rape in this forum have been childish at best. People are offended by talk like this, that is a fact. To use this word as an out of context verb is to shun vocabulary, opting for obscenity over creativity.

Talk to someone who has been gang raped, raped by a parent or raped by a stranger. Some of my closest friends have, if you  ever have to console someone this has happened to you would learn how obscene and offensive your arguments are.

Even though I have expressly articulated my deep and sincere feelings about how wrong rape is, you seem oblivious. It is almost as if anyone who does not endorse your view must be a rape advocate. Please, cease with the personal attacks and discuss the issue. Serenity is the surest sign of a mature mind.

To me, rape has multiple definitions. Some are less serious than others. There is a fairly large global group of people who endorse the definition I have previously articulated. It is somewhat commonly accepted, if perhaps not among the older generation. The fact that you refuse to recognize that, that you insist that rape can only mean something horrific and must be used seriously, means absolutely nothing to me. I'm okay with it, and so are the people I use it around. No negative consequences to speak of, and rape doesn't become more common practice either.

Offline jebus-san

• Let them hate so long as they fear.
    • save the internet
« Reply #56 on: June 9, 2011, 02:22:26 AM »
Hundreds of years ago you would have been slapped in the face for saying the word panties and the idea of saying it on national tv was simply unthinkable. Now, we have victoria secret fashion shows every year. words change, they pick up new meanings, loose old meanings, thats the way it is. and to think otherwise is simply foolish.

I heard Henry the Eights' favorite TV show was Jersey Shore 

The concept here is not that words shouldn't adopt a new meaning, it is that rape has a meaning, it is the only single word that we have to describe a forced, unwanted sexual encounter and therefore to give it new meaning removes the connotations that are associated with the word, disempowering the term.

]

It was only because snookie (sp?) was so crazy and out there (never actualy watched the show :P )

I disagree though, The problem is that this has all been done before, rape should not and does not share any kind of special treatment. Lets take the word Awesome (this is actually from a bit from Eddie Izzard) the webster dictionary defines it as 1 : expressive of awe <awesome tribute> 2 a : inspiring awe <an awesome task>  And yet, as a society we use the term so loosely. Wow that hot dog was awesome. And yet, even after using the word to describe a hot dog, if you looked out of the hubble telescope what word other then awesome could be used to describe what you've just seen. And yet even after seeing something like that, you can still go back and use that word to describe how great your left hook shot is in basketball. So in this example we see that we have taken a word that means so much and is used to describe what it is like to look at the universe itself and still be able to be used in day to day life when describing something as insignificant as a hot dog. We didn't dis-empower the word in the least. Epic can be another example. The list can go on im sure. The point of this is simply to point out that just because a word of such power is used to describe something so much less, does not by any means belittle or demean the word. It has simply taken on another meaning.
Save the Internet!!! go to Save the Internet | Join the fight for Internet Freedom | Free Press to see whats going on

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
« Reply #57 on: June 9, 2011, 03:32:19 AM »
This conversation is starting to become about the definition, connotations, and semantics of the word.  It's even branching off into etymology.  I think the original intent of the post was not about that, but rather about whether it is right or wrong to say it.  It is an issue about who might be offended.  It doesn't matter if one generation uses the word differently as long as they know that other uses of the word can still offend others.  Thinking that since the meaning has changed for you and using that as justification for using it with abandon is self delusional and an ignorant excuse.

People trying to put the responsibility on those who might be offended by such casual use of the word should ask themselves why they feel justified in doing whatever they want when they know it could offend others.  Tact is a lost skill too often these days.

GBT did a good job explaining why you should or should't use the term so casually. In the end, you know that there might be consequences for using it in this context.  If you're okay with those consequences, good for you.  If you're not comfortable with those consequences (and I'm guessing that if you have to question it in the first place, you're not) then try to make the effort to get out of that habit.
Just playing along,
Bourhgen

Offline Seraph Tenacious

« Reply #58 on: June 9, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
This conversation is starting to become about the definition, connotations, and semantics of the word.  It's even branching off into etymology.  I think the original intent of the post was not about that, but rather about whether it is right or wrong to say it.  It is an issue about who might be offended.  It doesn't matter if one generation uses the word differently as long as they know that other uses of the word can still offend others.  Thinking that since the meaning has changed for you and using that as justification for using it with abandon is self delusional and an ignorant excuse.

People trying to put the responsibility on those who might be offended by such casual use of the word should ask themselves why they feel justified in doing whatever they want when they know it could offend others.  Tact is a lost skill too often these days.

GBT did a good job explaining why you should or should't use the term so casually. In the end, you know that there might be consequences for using it in this context.  If you're okay with those consequences, good for you.  If you're not comfortable with those consequences (and I'm guessing that if you have to question it in the first place, you're not) then try to make the effort to get out of that habit.

While you may be right, if this is all we talked about then this thread would not be a discussion at all, but merely a collection of opinions. Whether or not people are okay with consequences is completely dependent on their own position and doesn't really get down to the issue of whether or not it is something that should be said.

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #59 on: June 9, 2011, 04:04:14 AM »
This is a pathetic argument, and then assertion that anyone with 'intelligence' would not have the severity of the word lessened by out of context use is in itself a hipocracy.

This argument is Pathetic Assuming a fact that people think less of the term because of usage is a fallacy in true form.
Any intelligent, mature individual can tell the difference between the word in Context, and non-context form. You assume that only intelligent/mature people do not use the term 'rape' out of context, and this makes you discriminative, bias, and wrong.

I love how you assume this is only one way. Both sides of the argument have been slightly childish at times. Just because someone has different beliefs from you, does not make them childish, as you are now.  Calling others childish, just because they think differently, and being offencive to them just because of that difference, makes you appear immature, and and greatly unpleasant.

Using a term out of context does not shun vocabulary, it infacts extends it. Look at how many words, have been reused for other meaning just because they are used out of context enough to be converted over. This adaptability is what makes the English language so amazing.  Sometimes it IS the obscenity that makes the language creative.

Obviously you do not pay attention to a thread before posting, if you had, you will notice I have had a close friend Raped. I also have a few In-laws, that have been raped or molested. People I consider close that I did not post about. I have had to console families that had their children die, and I have been a part of an abusive household at one time.  So YES, I have had to console people over tragic periods in their lives, yet I still do not see the problem with this term being used.  I have a friend that had her baby die during childbirth, yet she laughs at Dead baby jokes when she hears them, the same as my friend who got raped, still uses the term out of context when she kills someone in her FPS games. This is a sign that they got over it and moved on. Maybe you should look at how offencive your argument is becoming before calling others offencive and obscene.
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!