News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Success of the Scottish National Party  (Read 1910 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Success of the Scottish National Party
« on: May 8, 2011, 07:34:44 PM »
The SNP (not to be confused with the BNP who are a bunch of rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?s) made a quite substantial political gain in the recent election. They also did that without pandering to the usual suspects or trying to be what they're not. This is quite surprising, to me, while also being rather satisfying. It would appear that the SNP gained Labour seats in every city while also smacking out the Liberal Democrats.

Do you think these gains are temporary due to the general dissatisfaction or a sign of what may become in a referendum (Scottish independence) in five years?
Claiming his party's victory as "historic", Mr Salmond immediately declared his intention to bring forward a referendum on Scottish independence. His new majority at Holyrood gives him the votes to get a referendum Bill through the Scottish Parliament, meaning Scots will be asked if they want to secede from the United Kingdom at some time in the next five years.

Some of the SNP polices may be controversial. The nuclear free stance along with the removal of Scotland from NATO while potentially joining the EU.

Some background.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2011, 07:36:10 PM by Pangalactic Gargleblaster »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Success of the Scottish National Party
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
Do you think these gains are temporary due to the general dissatisfaction or a sign of what may become in a referendum (Scottish independence) in five years?

I think it depends on the SNP's ability during the following parliamentary term to gather support for their goal. With up to five years and an absolute majority, who knows what they can achieve? They have a ways to go yet if they're at 25-35% support for independence now, but they might just pull it off if they can keep the SNP popular, raise public awareness and most importantly make a credible case that the current political structure is holding Scotland back. I'm sure they'll have followed the Liberal Democrats' referendum fiasco closely and won't make the same mistakes.

The possibility of an independent Scotland with the euro as a currency is an intriguing thought. Perhaps England, Northern Ireland and Wales would finally follow suit if they see that it doesn't end the world? If they don't it wouldn't be the first time British traditionalism triumphs over common sense though.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »
There was an interesting comment in the morning news how many of the SNP voters are actually against full independance.

Although it was a significant victory it has been likened to a protest vote. The Tories have not had a significant presence in Scotland for the last 30 years, Labour continue to be punished for the state of the economy and the recent (un)popularity of the Lib Dems put paid them them.

This is not to Say the SNP are a protest vote party and support in Scotland remians strong. Their core values of fighting for a better deal in Scotland for Scottsh people remain strong and almost unapposed in the hearts of many Scots. However their more radical views of unlilateral Nuclear dissarmament and Full independance and subsequent deeper integration into Europe do not.

The SNP have done well but Independance is a long way off. I would think Salmond will still strive to this goal but in a little by little approach.

There was an passing comment on the Politics Show over the weekend of the Westminster parliment pre-empting the SNP and holding a UK wide refferendum for independance.
Of course I think this was said tongue in cheek.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:07 AM »
Last time i checked there are no scottish nuclear armed nuclear submarines.... There are some royal navy ones, and they are kept in scotland but i doubt the MOD would take kindly to people trying to fiddle around with them. And scotland has more than a few nuclear power plants, mostly because sparsely populated coastlines are good places to put them!

I don't get to vote but independance would prevent scottish ministers voting in english laws at westminister, which would be nice. I have doubts it would happen, the states are too combined to make seperating into different countries very easy.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »
Last time i checked there are no scottish nuclear armed nuclear submarines.... There are some royal navy ones, and they are kept in scotland but i doubt the MOD would take kindly to people trying to fiddle around with them.

New Zealand established a nuclear free zone without actually requiring them to have had a nuclear based navy to begin with.  ;) Pissed the Yanks right off when first established. Asking the RN to remove their sub bases would be part of establishing such a zone.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Karynos

• Independent Political Report
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:31 AM »
Realistically the SNP should be wanting to get more decentralization without getting their referendum yet. It reminds me of the Texas Nationalist movement here; they are fighting for a vote that they know they will lose. Politically they have to look like they are moving towards it so as not to alienate their base, but I think they will shoot themselves in the foot by getting their vote.

Then again, the Bloc Quebecois survived for years after losing independence referendums.
If you go to this link I have a made a craftworld-kabal battle system that needs ironing out and testing. If you have any edit suggestions, please PM me or post in the thread.

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=184437.0