News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Hyper-injunctions and freedom of speech.  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Hyper-injunctions and freedom of speech.
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8394566/Hyper-injunction-stops-you-talking-to-MP.html

While its not new that rich people and corporations can use crippling legal fees to prevent people arguing against them, they now prevent people even talking to a lawyer about the possibility of fighting. Preventing people even speaking to an MP seems to be utterly ridiculous to me, as a democratic nation being able to inform the MP is a key part of the democratic system yet courts have upheld claims to have it silenced.

This is the sort of thing you expect to read on the onion, not real newspapers.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
Re: Hyper-injunctions and freedom of speech.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
WTF?

That's appalling.
How can that possibly have ever been allowed?
I'm... I'm...
Well. Lost for words.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:24:41 PM »
You know, i just sat here for around 5 minutes trying to come up with a reply, but

WTF?

That's appalling.
How can that possibly have ever been allowed?
I'm... I'm...
Well. Lost for words.

i couldnt come up with more than that. How is it possible to prevent someone from talking to a lawyer??

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »
It's this sort of abominable situation which Wikileaks was created to bypass. I can somewhat understand a restriction on going to the press for a limited time frame but forbidding someone from seeking legal advice is abhorrent and dangerous.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
This hyper-injunction stuff is a bunch of bullamphetamine parrot, in my opinion, and it makes me very angry. Just another way for those with political power to screw over the rest of us. I cannot agree more with the opinions already stated. I am wary even of injunctions for limited timeframes, and this takes it several steps too far. I can only hope that nothing similar occurs elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:41:37 PM by JoBob »
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.