News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Congratulations Belgium!  (Read 1614 times)

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
Congratulations Belgium!
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »
I remember fondly the time around the British general elections last year, when there was concern about 'the length of the negotiations'. :)

For the uninitiated, the problem in a much-simplified nutshell is that the rich Dutch-speaking Flemish want to have more autonomy and not see their tax money spent on the poor French-speaking Walloons. The Walloons want the opposite. As ever, correct me if that's too simplified.

What does everyone expect will happen? Indefinite stalemate? Civil war? A UN mandate? Annexation by the Dutch? Personally I think one side will bend or break sooner or later. The passing of time or the advent of a serious crisis will presumably force both sides to come to a compromise as they always have until now. I don't think the Flemish are radical enough to do something drastic like seccede.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: Congratulations Belgium!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
Ah, they still havent got a new government. For some reasons the news stopped reporting after 2 or so weeks  :)

I certainly don't know enough about the conflict to make any educated guesses about its further development. Though if they have oil, the USA will liberate the country soon enough  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:24:52 PM by Lonewolf »

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
Re: Congratulations Belgium!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
lol well it's what we could have expected.

UN mandate nope
Annexation by us...I hope not!!!!!!!!
Stalemate...most likely or there will be a compromise.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!