News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I need a word on a Word Bearer army  (Read 263 times)

Offline Alisander

I need a word on a Word Bearer army
« on: March 15, 2005, 03:28:06 PM »
I am building a new Chaos army (my first in 10 years) and was working towards 1500 pts to use in an upcoming local tournament.  I was hoping some of you veterans might offer some advice or critique what I'm working towards.  I do want to state that I am a fan of many models and I love the demons.  I know I can't exactly swarm other armies with Chaos and demons, but I am working on it.

HQ
Chaos Lord - Dark Blade, Furious Charge, Demonic Aura, Strength, Resilience, & Mark of Undivided - 135

Troops
 9 Space Marines - CCW & Bolt Pistols, mark of undivided, icon bearer - 150
10 Bloodletters - 260
10 Daemonettes - 150
10 Horrors- 230

Fast Attack
 6 Raptors - mark of undivided, 3 multi-meltas, icon bearer - 210
10 Furies - 150

Heavy
5 Havocs - mark of undivided, 4 lascannons, icon bearer - 215

Total - 1500 pts. & 62 models

My only real concern was not having the ability to take on many enemy heavies and having too few units from which I can summon.  I only have 3 places demons can come from at the moment, but I don't necessarily want all my guys coming out on turn # 2.  Please lend me some creative insight when you have the chance.

Offline MysticArcher

• the RedStar2000 papers
Re: I need a word on a Word Bearer army
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »
I like it, but have some comments:

Your hq doesn't have an acursed crozius? why? the acursed crozius is the best weapon ever, you can even drop the demonic aura to save some points, because you'll have an invulnerable save from the weapon

it looks like you're trying to make a demon bomb list, which is reasonable for word bearers to do. So what I'd do is scrap the horrors, beef up the havocs a little, get a bike and personal icon for your hq

then more demonettes and some bikes if you can afford them. Also, maybe drop the furies.
Hmm, how about those "other" Christian "values"? You know, complete obedience to the clerical hierarchy, burning witches and heretics, persecuting scientists and other non-believers, launching crusades to grab this or that piece of desirable real estate, slavery, oppression of women and gay people, violence against children...stuff like that.

It's all "in the Bible"...which means they can bring any of it up whenever they think the moment is opportune.

Offline Alisander

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 03:51:32 PM »
Good deal on the Crozius.  6 Str. with a power weapon should be enough.  I guess it's not necessary to instant kill just about everything.  I like that it will give the 4+ inv Sv. & Personal Icon.  Not sure how I overlooked it.  Will also save 5 pts.  Thanks. 

I'm curious as to why I would drop the Flamers.  I meant to say 10 Flamers instead of horrors.  My points reflected it, but not the name.  30 Str 5 shots with AP 4 is nothing to sneeze at.  Not trying to argue on anything, just want to understand another person's point of view.  Same goes for the Furies.  150 pts for 10 models that move 12 in., have an inv save, and Str. 5.  Their Ld. certainly sucks. 

Offline GorthraxtheBeast

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 02:44:51 PM »
**I've been playing Word Bearers for a couple of years now so I thought I comment.

HQ
Chaos Lord - Dark Blade, Furious Charge, Demonic Aura, Strength, Resilience, & Mark of Undivided - 135

**As the other poster mentioned, the Accursed Crozius would be good here for the 4+ inv., and Personal Icon.  I would keep the D. Strength (S=5).  I also run mine on a Bike.  I love the Bike because my Lord can be almost absolutely anywhere in 2 turns to support where needed.  Also good for shooting forward as the Daemon Bomb and I give mine a melta or plasma gun.  (Yes, he gets pricey.)

Troops
 9 Space Marines - CCW & Bolt Pistols, mark of undivided, icon bearer - 150

**These guys should be 135 pts.  I use my marines for shooting.  I would also recommend thinking about Infiltrate for a marine squad to help get those assault daemons as forward as possible.  I use two plasma guns and an Asp. Champion and keep my squad as a short to mid-range firefighters.

10 Bloodletters - 260

**Bloodletters are amazing vs. marines.  Personally, I think 10 is way too many.  I wouldn't go above 8 and I often field just 7.  They do well.

10 Daemonettes - 150

** These babes are cheap enough that 10 is okay and it helps give them survivability.

10 Horrors- 230

** As you mentioned, these are mistyped Flamers.  I've played Flamers (just once) and really thought long and hard about them, but just can't include them in my army.  They would be great vs. non-marines, but if (10) marines rapid fired on them (very easy since they must be within 18" to use Doombolt), the Flamers would suffer about 6 wounds (3 dead) and might fail Ld.  I just can't include them in my army, but I do really like the concept of a shooty daemon squad.  Somewhat of a personal choice.

Fast Attack
 6 Raptors - mark of undivided, 3 multi-meltas, icon bearer - 210

**I've never felt Raptors are worth their points so I rarely field mine (in my Night Lords).  They've never made it in my WB army.  This looks like a prime place to trade these guys out for more bulk in the army.

10 Furies - 150

**I really think Furies are a deal.  15 pts and they are S5, I5 and practically ALWAYS get into assault the turn they are summoned.  Yes, a unit like Daemonettes is much more deadly than Furies, but if you factor in the fact that Daemonettes won't get into combat due to bad scatter sometimes, the Furies value goes up.  (i.e., they almost ALWAYS get used for the intended purpose)  Just be careful that 10 isn't too many to summon in without getting too close to the enemy models.  These guys are a little bulky.  Also, they are very so-so vs. marines.  Don't ask too much of them vs. marines, but use them to support.  They're also good at side attacks on vehicles/capturing objectives.

Heavy
5 Havocs - mark of undivided, 4 lascannons, icon bearer - 215

** If you want the S9 vs armour, I would definately go with 5 Havocs with Missle Launchers and Tank Hunter.  These will run a lean 170 pts, give you S9 vs armour, still kill marines with no save, and are tons better vs hordes. 

Total - 1500 pts. & 62 models

My only real concern was not having the ability to take on many enemy heavies and having too few units from which I can summon.  I only have 3 places demons can come from at the moment, but I don't necessarily want all my guys coming out on turn # 2.  Please lend me some creative insight when you have the chance.

**By trimming the Bloodletters (and even 1-2 from the Furies and Daemonettes), dropping the Raptors and changing the Havocs you will free up quite a few points.  With these I would put the Lord on a Bike, and buy more basic marines armed for shooting.  The reason I say shooting is because your daemons are your best assault squads IMO.  Get your marines in a decent spot for summoning by either Infiltration or some movement (I also use a Rhino to deliver my short to mid-range firefighters and a small Bike squad in larger games) and let them shoot and have your daemons do the assaulting.

**Last comment.  Think about Mounted Daemonettes.  I recently tried and then bought and painted these quick chicks.  The reason I like them is because they are so potent offensively.  These are another unit that will almost always get into assault (Cavalry).  They are quite pricey at 28 pts, but again, a 15 pt daemonette is worthless if she never gets into assault and then gets shot up (generally speaking).

**Hope that helps,

Gorthrax the Beast