You are Here:

+-

What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first

Author (Read 8016 times)

Re: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first
« Reply #120 on: January 3, 2014, 05:14:29 PM »

Ironhide

• To survive war, you've got to become war.
    • Awards

• Armies: Dark Angels, Chaos Marines
I don't remember the Virus Attack Strategy card. I do remember that there were 4 missions in the game and each player had to pick out a Mission card that was often a different mission to the opposing player.

Think they were
1. The Assassins (Primary Objective, Kill The Enemy Army Leader)
2. Engage & Destroy (Kill as much of the opposing army that you can in the game)
3. Dawn Raid (Primary Objective, to get a unit into the enemy Deployment Zone by the end of the game)
4. -I can't remember the name of the 4th Mission, but its Primary Objective was the same as Dawn Raid if I remember rightly. Also, all the Missions, except "Engage And Destroy" had Engage & Destroy as secondary objectives.
Kill For Gain Or Shoot To Maim, We Don't Need A Reason. Iron Maiden "2 Minutes To Midnight"

« Reply #121 on: January 3, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »

Spectral Arbor

• Major
    • Awards
I can't remember if I've ever posted in this thread, but I was also a 2nd edition starter. I played Chaos Marines at the time, Khornate Terminators had a 2+ save on 2d6. ;)

What I remember most about 2nd edition was my belief that non-terminator infantry were a waste of time, and that we wound up banning Cyclone Missile launchers after a friend "maxed out" a Space Wolf list with a whole bunch of them. At the time, they had something like a dozen missiles they could fire, and you could choose how many you shot each turn? Each shot increased the diameter by a certain amount, and he carpet bombed another [Eldar playing] friend off the board in a single turn. My buddy didn't even get to play, other than to pick his models off the board! Cover didn't grant a save at the time, and strength reduced saves... so with blasts not needing to roll to hit, he multi-krak-missiled everything all at once. Alpha-strike for the win!

I started with a box of Khorne Berzerkers, some Chaos Termies, as they'd just! come out with the Reaper Autocannon armed model, a Chaos Dread with the Power Scourge, and I also bought Abbadon, 'cause the model was badass. I still remember thinking how cool the Claw was on him. :D
« Last Edit: January 3, 2014, 06:05:41 PM by GreatBigTree »

« Reply #122 on: January 3, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »

Wyddr

• Author Pending: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Project Contributor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
    • Awards

• Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Dark Elves, Ksons
I remember all of that, too. Including how cool the claw on Abbadon was.

I played orks. I maxed out on Warbikes and Scorchas and had a huge number of Lootas with Lascannons that would just stand around overwatching. All my bikes would aim directly for enemy units and run them over and then shoot something else. Anybody who didn't make an initiative test was flattened and the other unit would get blown apart by a dozen or so hits with autocannons that did huge amounts of damage.

Then all my bikes would die, but that's okay--they usually took out about 2-3 units with them.

Then I had Kommandos with a Vortex grenade for my enemy's big gribbly. Boom for them, boom for me.

It was completely and utterly bent and silly. My teenaged brain loved the hell out of it, though. The only thing that kept me from having a massive army was my complete lack of money.
[GW's] not in business for people to buy one army and use that for 20 years.

Skulls Taken for the Skull Throne: 99 (169 counting tournaments)

My blog, which isn't about 40K, but is about SF/F stuff
Look for The Oldest Trick in Feb 2015!

« Reply #123 on: January 3, 2014, 07:32:33 PM »

Spectral Arbor

• Major
    • Awards
Ding! We proxied everything... The old unit boxes were the right size for tanks. We'd tape notes to them about weapons and what they were [Rhino with Havoc Launcher!] and I used Black Orcs [One Axe up, one sword down...] for more 'Zerkers.

I think I used a River Troll for a second Dreadnaught. Man, I wish Guard had "proper" Dreads. I swear, if they come out with a Riptide / Wraithknight type model for Guard in the next codex, I'm gonna post a tactica on how to use three in a 1500 pt army without being cheesy. I'll find a way.

Rapid fire die, and being able to reroll it because the Reaper was built like a brick turd-house. Only Chaos could fire their Plasma every turn, everyone else had to "cool down" between shots. Multi-melta could get an armour pen value of 50 or something... crazy rules and I also loved the hell out of it. I was grateful in 3rd when things sped up, and the really stupid [Vortex Grenade!] rules got phased out, and replaced with different stupid rules. :)

Using green encyclopedia books for hills. Playing on a bare plywood board. Ruins made from the Styrofoam trays that models used to come in. Using empty coke cans for silos... more proxies than actual models. Playing in my parent's basement. Feeling a sense of achievement when all my models were finally primed and no longer grey plastic / pewter.

I have the biggest goofy grin right now.

« Reply #124 on: January 7, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »

Ironhide

• To survive war, you've got to become war.
    • Awards

• Armies: Dark Angels, Chaos Marines
I also seem to remember Flame Pistols, pistol versions of flamers and Assault Marines could take any close combat weapons that they wanted, so they could all take plasma pistols and powerfists if you wanted, or powerfist and powersword.

Also Dark Angels, Ultramarines and Blood Angels each had their own Tactical squad boxed set at the time as well, (yup, the metal ones...)
Dark Angels I remember had the sergeant with Powersword, a Plasma Gun and Lascannon,
Ultramamrines had a Sergeant with Powerfist, a Flamer and Missile Launcher
Blood Angels had a Sergeant with Chainsword, Meltagun and Heavy Bolter in their box.

Tactical Squad, Devestator Squad and Assault Squads all had to be purchased in the army list as a 10 man unit and ten broken down into 2 5 man Combat Squads if you so desired to split them up. Terminators could actually use Rhino to get around the battlefield (though it was still 1 Terminator to 2 Marines). 

Post Merge: January  8, 2014, 06:34:29 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Just thought, wasn't the 4th Mission in 2nd Edition "Take & Hold", where you had to get a unit into your enemy's deployment zone and hold it until the final turn had finished, whereas, Dawn Raid you scored for getting a squad in the opposing DZ, and they had to stay for a turn, to get the scoring Victory Points, but could then leave the DZ afterwards?
« Last Edit: January 8, 2014, 06:34:29 PM by Ironhide »
Kill For Gain Or Shoot To Maim, We Don't Need A Reason. Iron Maiden "2 Minutes To Midnight"

« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »

Grizzlykin

• See a noob, You have a picture? Then you have me !
    • Awards

• Armies: Eldars
Humm for me the things that made me discover warhammer 40k was a friend of mine in my club of aero modeling (no idea the english real translation, basicly you construc small plane that you can pilot :) ) he was playing tau and i was so interested in it that in order to learn i bought the macrage box and my father in the same time bought me a dreadnoughts :) so this where my first piece.