News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 30k playerbase  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
30k playerbase
« on: August 23, 2020, 08:05:25 AM »
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I saw the recent announcement of a new HH book, and it got me thinking about the 30k scene.

How big do people think it is? Seems like a very niche part of an already niche hobby, with a pretty steep monetary entry cost (and several units that you can't even use in conventional 40k games if you're being strict about WYSIWYG), and so on. I assume that they're seeling at least a few thousand books, simply due to it being GW, but I've spoken with game designers whose game books sold in the few hundreds and still managed to turn a profit due to the price point, so I don't really know.

Does anyone here play it?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 30k playerbase
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 07:26:14 AM »
It's pretty small. I know one person who plays, and there are a few events a year in my Provence.

With covid, you'll probably be even more hard pressed to find a group. It's very region dependent. Due to the fact it's dependent on forgeworld kits, it's a very expensive game to get into,  and it's rules system is a modified version of 6th edition 40k, which throws some people off as well.

I have played it a bit, and I really like the game system. A few local players to me at getting interested, so we might have a scene at some point.

The stand size of age of darkness games for events is 2500pts (generally).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria