News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: No New Models for Cities of Sigmar?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
No New Models for Cities of Sigmar?
« on: September 30, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
First off: I love the already existing Empire models, so I'm not miffed in that regard.

However... this means that "Cities of Sigmar" feels pretty underwhelming. Not exactly a triumphant return of what used to be the poster boys of Warhammer Fantasy.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: No New Models for Cities of Sigmar?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 06:17:31 PM »
Orruk warclans will not be receiving new models either, but keep in mind that there will probably be some in the future. One can never tell what's around the corner with GW these days... except Primaris :P ;D.

Could be worse, Greatswords are better than Darkling Coven Executioners now... wouldn't be surprised if everything in Cities of Sigmar were better than most of the Darkling stuff with the new book, unfortunately. :P
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 10:54:21 PM »
I just think it's super-weird to have Dwarfs and Hydras and stuff in the same faction. I get that Cities of Sigmar is a kind of "meta-faction" that units lots of minor ranges of the more-or-less "weird" models from the old human, dwarf, and elven ranges, but still, it just feels kinda off.

I did notice that the Imperial Knight models are gone though... Those might be getting an upgrade/new version then, I guess? I can't imagine them not having (human) knights (the demigryphs notwithstanding).

EDIT: On a very minor note: it's seems really weird that GreyWATER gets sturdy dorf units with mechanical stuff, and ANVILgard gets pirate elves with sea monsters.

I don't care about the in-universe lore: clearly someone dropped the ball at some point here. :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:03:10 PM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2019, 09:15:25 AM »
I feel (and have felt for a while) that the Renaissance/High Middle Ages look of the old empire models just don't *fit* in Age of Sigmar, with its post-apocalyptic, Thundarr the Barbarian aesthetic. We've got dwarves in airships, elves riding fanged eels across the sky, goblins in howdas atop massive spiders worshiping a leering moon, golden-armored angel-warriors riding lighting bolts to earth and then we have...those guys?

They need a redesign. They need to come in line with the design aesthtics of the world they're in. I mean, they can keep the *broad* aesthetic (big hats, baroque armor, halberds), but they just look super plain next to what everybody else has to offer.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2019, 08:43:29 PM »
I feel (and have felt for a while) that the Renaissance/High Middle Ages look of the old empire models just don't *fit* in Age of Sigmar, with its post-apocalyptic, Thundarr the Barbarian aesthetic. We've got dwarves in airships, elves riding fanged eels across the sky, goblins in howdas atop massive spiders worshiping a leering moon, golden-armored angel-warriors riding lighting bolts to earth and then we have...those guys?

They need a redesign. They need to come in line with the design aesthtics of the world they're in. I mean, they can keep the *broad* aesthetic (big hats, baroque armor, halberds), but they just look super plain next to what everybody else has to offer.

I'd say that more recent releases seem to focus more on smaller-sized units with more overly elaborately-designed models (some would say overdesigned, but whatevs). I agree that state troops do not really fit that mold very well. Greatswords kind of straddle the line, and Demigryph knights imho actually fit pretty well.

A faction that DOES suffer immensely though, is the plain ol' dorfs. Or dispossesed or whatever they're called nowadays. Chainmail and pseudo-Celtic-Viking armor in earthy and simple metallic colors just does not look fitting.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2019, 06:03:25 AM »
Yeah, Greatswords and Demigryphs are fine. I agree about "dorfs" (gods, what a stupid word), too.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2019, 12:45:24 AM »
Yeah, Greatswords and Demigryphs are fine. I agree about "dorfs" (gods, what a stupid word), too.

Apologies, I of course meant DUARAWARDURDIUAWARD ARINNDUARDtm;D ;D

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2019, 07:41:28 AM »
Oh, wait--sorry, I thought "dorfs" was the new name for "dwarves" (wasn't it, at some point?).

Yeah, it's duardin. Which is also awful. I know it's a copyright thing, but I still don't see the point.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
Oh, wait--sorry, I thought "dorfs" was the new name for "dwarves" (wasn't it, at some point?).

Yeah, it's duardin. Which is also awful. I know it's a copyright thing, but I still don't see the point.

"Dorf" is just a jokey pronounciation of dwarfs, I'm not really sure where it's from, but I've always put it in the same category as "skellingtons", etc.

Duardin is the new, copyrightastic name, yeah.

Which honestly just raises some questions, because "Dawi" already existed in the old Fantasy fluff as the Dwarfen name for themselves. I guess maybe it just didn't sound... grumbly enough? I don't know.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »
I hate all the "re-branded" names. Aelves? Duardin? Orruks? Ogors? Troggoths?

WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE FOOLING?

I will forever call them elves, dwarves, orcs, ogres, and trolls. That's what they are. We know it, GW knows it, everybody knows it. I fail to see how it even provisionally protects their IP.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #10 on: October 9, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »
I hate all the "re-branded" names. Aelves? Duardin? Orruks? Ogors? Troggoths?

WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE FOOLING?

I will forever call them elves, dwarves, orcs, ogres, and trolls. That's what they are. We know it, GW knows it, everybody knows it. I fail to see how it even provisionally protects their IP.

You should listen to realmslayer, Gotrek mentions this.

Personally,  it doesn't bother me. I like how it makes the setting feel more unique. I really enjoy the setting and lore for aos.

For free cities, the book is pretty bananas crazy. I love how endless spells are always empowered. I was starting  a serephon army, but I might switch to this and build the Phoenix temple army I've been wanting to work on.

Or, build an army of steam tanks!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: No New Models for Cities of Sigmar
« Reply #11 on: October 9, 2019, 04:50:29 PM »
On the one hand, the cities book is actually pretty cool.  On the other hand, completely agree about the old empire aesthetic and the new names they’ve got flying around now.  Alegluzzer Gargant, Fellwater Troggoth...it’s a bloody Giant and Swamp Troll.  ::)

I was wondering, if the cities and their individual factions are to stay (and they really should), maybe they should have a unified aesthetic.  One overall ‘style’ for the weapons and armour, and one that looks a little bit like stormcast gear but dialled back from 10 to about a 3.  OK, with differences for the individual races of course (dwarves have thick plate armour and use axes and hammers, elves are more scale mail and swords etc). 

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: No New Models for Cities of Sigmar
« Reply #12 on: October 9, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
On the one hand, the cities book is actually pretty cool.  On the other hand, completely agree about the old empire aesthetic and the new names they’ve got flying around now.  Alegluzzer Gargant, Fellwater Troggoth...it’s a bloody Giant and Swamp Troll.  ::)

I was wondering, if the cities and their individual factions are to stay (and they really should), maybe they should have a unified aesthetic.  One overall ‘style’ for the weapons and armour, and one that looks a little bit like stormcast gear but dialled back from 10 to about a 3.  OK, with differences for the individual races of course (dwarves have thick plate armour and use axes and hammers, elves are more scale mail and swords etc).

The new unit titles are overly loquacious and annoying, I agree - but that's not necessarily new to Games Workshop, they've been pulling that nonsense with 40k for a long time too (I mean, "Space Wolves Thunder Wolves" anyone?). I'm also not a huge fan of "uniqueness for the sake of uniqueness" since the aelves are obviously elves and the duardin are obviously dwarfs. Might as well call the humans hormalorns by that point. (It's nitpicky, I know, I made peace with it, I just like to grumble a bit).

Getting "upgrade" sprues for the different cities like one can get for different Space Marine Chapters in 40k would be cool. Shields, spears, heads, banners, icons, etc.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »
I honestly don't see why the names are bothersome. But,  I've been playing aos since it came out four years ago, so I guess I'm just used to it.

I don't see how they could make upgrade spruces for free cities, as it'd have to be something which could work on all the human, duradin and Aelves kits in the range. It's easy to make marine upgrade kits, when everything is based off the same body.

Wouldn't make sense anyway, being such a niche army, they'd never sell.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2019, 10:27:23 PM »
Despite it's fairly stupid name, I do think Anvilgard sounds really cool. I mean, it's just coming across as a Dark Elf stronghold, really, but it's still neat. Considering dusting off some of my unpainted DE units (RxBmen and Black Guard) and making a Darkling Coven army based there.

I keep *wanting* to include non-elf models into my armies, but then I look at the models and they're just...eh. I guess the dwarves are okay, but I don't see them as substantially better than most of the Elf options, so...

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 07:49:30 AM »
The iron breakers/irondrakes and longboard kits are really nice detailed kits.

I like a lot of the free people's kits too. The demigryph knights, and general on Griffin are sweet, and it's all the better that they buffed the demigryph in this book.

I find the bleaksword/dreadspears kit is just really dated, with the giant hands, but the cold one knight and chariot kits, plus the privateers and executioner kits are fantastic.

I love the war hydra and karybdiss, but the rules for them are awful, even worse than they were before the battletome.

I think if I focused on any, it'd be the Phoenix Temple, with shadow rangers for disruption (their rules are so good, as well as their models) 
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
I do like the dwarf kits. I just don't like them so much more than the elf ones (I actually really like the Bleaksword kit), and anyway having them together on one battlefield would create a certain aesthetic dissonance.

Of all the free peoples kits, I think the Demigryphs are by far the best. I don't really like any of the others.

I love the war hydra and karybdiss, but the rules for them are awful, even worse than they were before the battletome.

Really? What's wrong with them? I didn't think they looked that bad, to me, but I'm hardly the most experienced AoS player.

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »
They are just too expensive, too slow, and hit like wet noodles. Considering that a flame Phoenix is 200pts, I'd never take the hydra or karybdiss. Shame, as they are just nice kits. They even increased the price of the hydra, and took away its auto healing 3 wounds.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria