News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ossiarch Bonereapers  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Ossiarch Bonereapers
« on: August 28, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »
What do we think about the new Skelle-Baddies in town, ladies and gents?

JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Ossiarch Bonereapers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 06:01:52 AM »
I can't decide if they're awesome or ridiculous.

Those are some *beefy* skeletons, man. Pass the skele-grow.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
Considering the accent used in the Youtube trailer, these very much feel like Tomb Kings on steroids.

While I in general miss the stylistic simplicity of Tomb Kings units (sometimes a cluster of skellies with spears and shields don't have to have 1600 details each), these do fit in with the new AoS design philosophy of overdesigning everything, and, well... they do look pretty god damn rad.

EDIT: OH GOD I DIDN'T NOTICE THEIR *NOSES* UNTIL NOW!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:31:59 AM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
The skeletons have noses. It's official--they're ridiculous. And not that good Skaven/Moonclan kind of ridiculous, more that "how big a hat can we give that Eldar" kind of ridiculous.   

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
Well, to be fair, they're not actual skeletons, their constructs forged from bone, yadah-yadah, infused with the animus of great heroes. while I particularly don't like the noses either, I can live with that and the grinning faces on some of them. I mean, skulls do look they are grinning in real life, these are just exaggerated a bit.

The infantry is my least favorite piece revealed so far... but I love the Necropolis Knights, the Wizard with Scythe, the catapult, and Katakros himself (though that looks like quite a journey to paint lol). The four armed guys, I like certain aspects of them, like their main bodies, and some of the weapon poses / types. I also don't like other weapon poses, and I think the four heads are just okay.

Overall, I'm liking the skelle-roid bois. If I didn't have two AoS armies I'm building currently, I'd give them a serious look. Maybe a year or two from now I'll reevaluate that.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
They look, to me, like an army I'd really like to fight. There's a lot of cool battle scenarios I can envision with them as the opponent.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
Agreed ;D, out of all the Death Grand Alliance, I'd be most excited to play against an army of these guys rather than any other faction (though Flesh-Eater Courts comes 2nd for me).

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »
I am not impressed.  The proportions are weird and the style is overly bulky all round.  I preferred the old Tomb Kings models and they were not very good either.  It's a real shame because the trailer promised so much, but the models are very underwhelming.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »
I am not impressed.  The proportions are weird and the style is overly bulky all round.  I preferred the old Tomb Kings models and they were not very good either.  It's a real shame because the trailer promised so much, but the models are very underwhelming.

Might be one of those armies where you have to see them in person :). I've seen plenty of screenshots on the GW store where I second guess whether a model looks good or not. And then you get to see them in person and they seem much cooler than I originally thought.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »
those things with the four arms, depending on their physical size, might make an interesting base for an exodite wraith construct... hmmm..

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
Might be one of those armies where you have to see them in person :). I've seen plenty of screenshots on the GW store where I second guess whether a model looks good or not. And then you get to see them in person and they seem much cooler than I originally thought.

This has been the case with me for so, so many models. Aggressors, Inceptors, Centurions, Tzeentch Burning Chariots, Khorne Blood Thrones, Corvus Blackstar, Storm Raven, and on and on and on.

GW's painting team or possibly their photographers are just so, so awful. They make everything look bloated and stupid and then you see it in person and are like "wow, this is actually really cool!"

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »
 These don't seem tomb kings/Egyptian to me. If anything the horsemen's banner, the crested helmet and the pose of the new Mortarch look more like Romans for example.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 02:22:26 PM »
These don't seem tomb kings/Egyptian to me. If anything the horsemen's banner, the crested helmet and the pose of the new Mortarch look more like Romans for example.

They're a mishmash of lots of ancient influences (I'm pretty sure the main general character is based on a painting of a Greek king or something), and considering that, as well as the general skeletal theme, and stuff like the skeletal trebuchet, it's natural to compare them - at least superficially - to the Tomb Kings of yore, even if I suspect these guys play very, very differently.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
They look, to me, like a bunch of stunt performers wearing latex costumes.

They're just *so* thick.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
Noses: silly. And awful.

4 armed guys: cool...but with totally out of scale heads.

Boss man: really sweet

Influence: I’m getting Japanese. The helmets have a Samurai feel to them for me.

Overall...alright? I guess?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: September 7, 2019, 03:30:13 PM »
There are still even more models that have not been revealed yet... this has to be one of the largest brand new ranges to have been released in a longtime, third to Stormcast and Khorne I think.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: September 7, 2019, 08:33:04 PM »
Lots of cool ideas in there, can't deny that. I'll need some time to conceptually grasp the concept of "an elite, small-sized army of buff skeletons", I think.

The big bone crocodile monster is badass - though the little guy reaching out from the crotch is weirding me out a bit. :P

EDIT: I feel like there is almost-but-not-quite a Scarab theme going on with their decorations and shields. I kinda wish it had been more obvious, as an accent and contrast to the bone stuff.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2019, 08:34:43 PM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #17 on: September 8, 2019, 04:32:34 AM »
That large creature looks horrid and not in a good way.  It reminds me very much of those awful new daemon engines which were designed for Chaos in 40K.  The halberd infantry look somewhat better, but I have to say that I prefer the artwork relative to the models.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #18 on: September 8, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »
 The croco-golem is imo overdone - too, too much of the same stuff happening on it. Imagine a chaplain with his skull iconography but multiplied x20 all over the model. It's like this with the croco-golem...I guess that if you want to do a massive bone golem out of ordinary, tiny human bones you just end up … with a shapeless pile of bones so there's really no other way to do it, but still.. Also, did it really need the hand at the end of the tail?
« Last Edit: September 8, 2019, 12:28:38 PM by Radec »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: September 8, 2019, 08:19:15 PM »
The croco-golem is imo overdone - too, too much of the same stuff happening on it. Imagine a chaplain with his skull iconography but multiplied x20 all over the model. It's like this with the croco-golem...I guess that if you want to do a massive bone golem out of ordinary, tiny human bones you just end up … with a shapeless pile of bones so there's really no other way to do it, but still.. Also, did it really need the hand at the end of the tail?

Yeah, I think your feelings can be applied across a good portion of this new range. For the most part, I love certain aspects about every model in the range, but... there is too much going on for a lot of them for me.

I do like the standard infantry, the alternate version of the Four armed guys with axes, the catapult, Katakros, and the cavalry... but there is a bit too much going on in each of them.

I like it, but at the same time I don't lol.