News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Psychic focus  (Read 2270 times)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Psychic focus
« on: October 8, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
Hi guys, what do you think of one power per turn, rather than one power per psyker per turn?

How does/did this affect your lists?  Personally it really disappointed me.  I used to love spreading Guide, Doom and Fortune around.  I tend to play really big games at the moment, what do you think about scalability for Psychic Focus?  Surely, one power per turn is too little for, say, a 4000 pointer?
Opinions please? :)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Psychic focus
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »
If you're playing 4k points, you're not really playing a true matched play game anyway...Use as many powers as you want. Balance is out the window at that point.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »
Hi Partninja, interesting point.  I'm not sure I agree with you though....surely focus could and should be scaled along with how many times a datasheet can be used?
I'm not saying to hell with rules cos I'm playing big right now, and if you think there's no structure at that pointage you're dead wrong.
If GW adjusted focus, they did it for game balance.  Large games can be just as balanced as small ones, just as we all know small games can be cheesy and spammed.  It comes down to players and attitudes. I just think GW needs to scale Psychic powers for bigger games because there are people out there playing them. :)
« Last Edit: October 8, 2018, 05:44:33 PM by The Reborn »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »
The matched play rules are intended for the sizes of games suggested in the rulebook. 1000, 2000, 2500 and in-between. Mostly to help balance in tournament games and pick-up games.

If you're playing a game beyond those sizes, it's up to the players to agree on how they want to interpret the rules, and alter things to adjust for the size of the game.

If playing 4000pts, it might just be fine to not use the matched play rules, and play just core rules.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »
Hi KS  :)

My next game is on Sunday, 9000pts per team.  3 vs 2.  I'll be taking 4500pts of Eldar.
You both have a point, using powers multiple times doesn't seem broken in bigger games, but it would be cool to have some structure in place.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: October 8, 2018, 07:00:46 PM »
Just make your own rules. Not everything needs to be written in stone. No one will come and arrest you for making your own guidelines lol.

The match play rules don't scale, and are not intended to scale for games over 2500pts. It's not what they are made for. Just play open play and don't worry about it. Games of the size your playing are meant to be wild and less structured anyway.

At my local Gw, we had an open-war mega battle and it was great fun, not using the matched play rules made the chaotic game run smoother. And it was super chaotic and weird.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2018, 07:01:54 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2018, 04:57:05 PM »
You need to find the right sets of rules for the size of the battle you are playing, playing 1.5k worth of points with kill team rules would be a really slow game.

In previous editions, games over a set point level were considered massive battles, so you had the APOC sets of rules that covered more than just super heavies being n the table. 8th edition has APOC rules in chapter approved, which puts them in open play rule sets and even has missions.

Partninja is correct 8th ed isn't balanced to start with and the problems only get worse the bigger the games are, even in friendly games were players are trying to be fair, the sheer size of the game just means makes it a lot harder to do. GW is currently only really interested on trying to get the system working for tournaments and Forgeworld seems to be dazed and confused at the moment, so open play is the best we have.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:15:54 AM »
Hi Guys, yes you're right, I've been too fixed on achieving balance when that just isn't possible....particu larly on this scale...thanks for the help. :)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »
I think balance is out the window, and psychic powers are in their very nature, unbalanced. Allowing for more powers would both make the games more random and more unbalanced.

I honestly feel monopoly is more balanced than 40k, where monopoly is unbalanced on purpose.

I do however think psychic powers should be scaled according to the size of the armies, just like everything else and then with meticulous granularity.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
I do however think psychic powers should be scaled according to the size of the armies, just like everything else and then with meticulous granularity.

meticulous granularity, what do you mean by that?
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »
@Killersquid:
I mean if the army size changes from 2000p to 2200p the allowed number of powers cast should increase from say 20 to 22. If there is rounding issues like in a 2150p game there should be other effects applying for example you could choose 1 or more power to be cast with a +1 or +2 on the roll etc.

Instead of having say 1 power for each 1k points so @1400p you get 1 power but @1600p you get 2 powers, which would make it very clunky.

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
So, you're saying the total number of times you can cast powers with your army per game should be limited?
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
@Killersquid:
That is a loaded question, and beside the point I was making.
Casting unlimited powers unrestrained or underrestrained would be quite ridiculous for some powers.