News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar Getting Started league report  (Read 515 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

Re: Age of Sigmar Getting Started league report
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
Nicely done Killersquid!  Congrats on tearing those Stormies a new one!  ;D

Have you played many games against the sancrosant chamber Stormcast?  I’m quite probably going to get the starter box ones and I’d love to know how they perform.

I'm actually looking to the same ;D, so am also interested in that answer as well. I hear that they are quite potent on the battlefield though, but that's only what I've heard. Also the models look amazing, I like all of the added dynamic poses and extra details :).
“Evil is relative…You can’t hang a sign on it. You can’t touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger.”
― Glen Cook, The Black Company

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »
So very true!  And I like the amount of female models the set includes.  Diversity and all that.  But I do like how solid and reliable they seem.  Could be my future go to tournament army!  ;D

How do you find Clan Skype?

Offline Myen'Tal

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
So very true!  And I like the amount of female models the set includes.  Diversity and all that.  But I do like how solid and reliable they seem.  Could be my future go to tournament army!  ;D

You asking me or the Squid ;D? I think they're a really fun and thematic army. Skyre has come up on my list of beginning armies when I was still thinking about getting into Age of Sigmar. Then the Aelves arrived ;). I don't like that some of their range is still in metal, but that just makes me wish even harder for Skaven to get the new release / battletome treatment.

Also, Stormfiends are so cool, just wish their was a normal Rat Ogre variant for them. Also wish that Thanquol and Bone Ripper were easier to use with them, since the models seem to mesh well together ;D. Also, Warp Lightning Cannons and Doomwheels ;). Though the one Doomwheel that I saw in my first game of AoS did absolutely nothing, hah. Got charged by some zombies and was eventually dragged down by sheer weight of numbers. Not that it killed many zombies in the process :P. I'll have to see that unit in action a bit more though, to be fair.
“Evil is relative…You can’t hang a sign on it. You can’t touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger.”

Offline Killersquid

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Staff
    • My Website
  • Armies: Harlequins, Iron Warriors, Khorne Bloodbound
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 07:50:14 PM »
Nicely done Killersquid!  Congrats on tearing those Stormies a new one!  ;D

Have you played many games against the sancrosant chamber Stormcast?  I’m quite probably going to get the starter box ones and I’d love to know how they perform.

Well, the Bravery One British Open, was won with an almost entirely Sacrosant army. I think the units are fantastic. Sequtors are a phenominal battleline, and Evocators are a very strong unit as well. The Castigators I'm not sold on, but everything else is fantastic.

My buddy Mike, plays mostly Sacrosant units, and a Stardrake.

You asking me or the Squid ;D? I think they're a really fun and thematic army. Skyre has come up on my list of beginning armies when I was still thinking about getting into Age of Sigmar. Then the Aelves arrived ;). I don't like that some of their range is still in metal, but that just makes me wish even harder for Skaven to get the new release / battletome treatment.

Also, Stormfiends are so cool, just wish their was a normal Rat Ogre variant for them. Also wish that Thanquol and Bone Ripper were easier to use with them, since the models seem to mesh well together ;D. Also, Warp Lightning Cannons and Doomwheels ;). Though the one Doomwheel that I saw in my first game of AoS did absolutely nothing, hah. Got charged by some zombies and was eventually dragged down by sheer weight of numbers. Not that it killed many zombies in the process :P. I'll have to see that unit in action a bit more though, to be fair.

Thanqual is quite good, he is great in a general Skaven army, as he gives out a feel-no-pain save to Skaven units as his command ability. Also, give him warpfire throwers, and skitterleap him with a Verminlord Deceiver, and you'll probably kill any model in the game with the resulting carnage.

Doomwheels are, sadly, fairly mediocre. Their best weapon is their gun.

Skyre is a bit Gimmicky. They do a ton of mortal wounds, but a lot of the weapons are very random, and can often backfire on you. Also, they are very expensive, so you end up with a low model count army. But, mortal wounds are very very good, so that can often make up for those weaknesses. I mitigate the armies issues a bit further by taking the Verminlord Warpseer, who can summon a free unit of 3d6 rats for a command point, and (given enough command points), can do that multiple times a turn. Instant chaff screen.

I find too, that the army has trouble getting across the board to my opponents territory to steal objectives. I hope my Tunneling Stormfiends can help with that, unless they spend the whole game lost in the Gnawholes lol.

Today I had my first matched play game with my Capital City Bloodbath list (tournament in Ottawa next weekend).

I played a game with Alex, a local at the Warhammer store in town. He brought his Stormcast Eternals, with allied Sylvaneth.

My list
Clan Skyre, from Realm of Light
Verminlord Warpseer (allied)
Arch Warlock (with Aetherquartz Broach, and Cunning Creature command trait. General)
Warlock Engineer (with Vigerdust Injector)
Warlock Engineer
Stormfiends x3 w/x2 ratling gns, x1 grinderfist
Stormfiends x3 w/Shock Gauntlet, Doomflayer Gauntlet, and warpfire throwers.
Skyre Acolytes x5
Skyre Acolytes x5
Plague Wind Mortar
Warp Lightning Cannon
Warp Lightning Cannon
Clan Skyre Battion, with Arkspark Voltk, and Gascloud Chokelung
Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles
Quicksilver Swords
Malign Maelstrom

Alex’s List

Lord Celestant on Dracoth
Lord Relictor
Celestant Prime
Vanguard-Raptors With Hurricane Crossbows
Two units of 5 Liberators
Unit of 5 Retributors
X3 Aetherwings
X2 Fulminators
Kurnoth Hunters, with bows (allied)
Dryads x20 (allied)

The Relocating Orb is single objective mission, where you score at the end of your turn. If you went first in the battleround, you get 1vp, if you go second in a battleround, you get 3vp. Also, the objective moves at the end of each battleround.

You score the objective by having the most models within 6” of the objective. Heros with Artifacts, and/or Wizards count as 20 models if within 3”.

So, I kept my shooty Stormfiend squad in tunneling, with it’s grinderfists. He kept the Celestant Prime, Liberators and Retributors in Azyr.

BR1
Skyre
I tunneled up my stormfiends onto the Orb, shooting from the stormfiends and one of the cannons dropped a Kurnoth Hunter to 1 wound. Not a great first turn. Lol.

Stormcast
He dropped in everything but the Celestant Prime. Retributors, and Dryads charged my shooty Stormfiends, leaving one Stormfiend left with a single wound. A unit of Liberators charge one of my cannons, and destroy it. His Dryads hold the objective.

Skyre 1vp, Stormcast 3vp
The orb moved 6” north
BR2
He won the roll to go first, and took it. Uh oh! Not looking good for the Ratties!

Stormcast
The celestant Prime Dropped in, near where my cannon used to stand. Thankfully, most of his units were still engaged with some of my units, and couldn’t move. He finished off the Stormfiend unit, one of my Warlock Engineers, and one squad of Acolytes.
Skyre

Alright, I took a pretty big hit. I’ve not done any damage to his army yet, and I had lost a unit of Stormfiends, a cannon, a Warlock and a unit of Acolytes. Over 600pts already dead. Yikes!
My three biggest issues were,
1)   Clearing the Dryads off the Orb
2)   Taking out the Retributors
3)   Taking out the Celestant Prime.

I Summon the Soulsnare Shackles,  to guard my left flank. Hopfully slow down his calvary, Retributors and Celestant Prime, depending how well my army preforms this turn.
Spells and Shooting go off, and all the Retributors, and the Liberator squad on my left flank evaporate. Verminlord charges the Liberators to my North, also claiming the Orb, while the Stormfiends with the melee tools go into the Dryads. The Dryads Evaporate, due to a combination of the Stormfiends being team players, and his battleshock test. The Verminlord Kills a liberator, but he’s not much of a fighter.
Skyre 4vp, Stormcast 4vp
Orb moves a bit South.
BR3
I win the roll for choosing battleround. I wanted to go second, so I could get more VP’s, but I needed to thin down his power, after the kicking I took from his double turn.
Skyre
At this point, I run out of Giant Rats. I have four units summoned, which I used to bubblewrap my left flank.
I summon the Quicksilver Swords, and send them after his Kurnoth Hunters, as I need to thin them down. The Swords stab out four mortal wounds.
In  shooting, my Warlock Engineer gives an experimental bomb to the Mortar team, which does 5 mortal wounds to the Celestant Prime, the Warplighting Cannon deals an additional 6, killing the Wielder of Ghal Marhaz. The Stormfiends, charge into the Fulminators, killing one, and almost the second.

Stormcast
Alex, is a bit on the backfoot now. He easly dispatches my Stormfiends with his Kurnoth Hunters and Vanguard-Raptors shooting, but he cannot get to the objective.

Skyre 5vp, Stormcast 4vp

The Orb moves west a bit.
BR4
Alex wins the Roll, but gives me the first turn.
He moves The Quicksilver Swords back towards my Verminlord, and does a mortal wound to my Daemon. :P hurt by my own spell. Also, the Soulsnare Shackles eat a giant rat, and three Skyre Acolytes lol.
Skyre
I unsummon the Quicksilver Swords, and otherwise try to clog the objective with Giant Rats.

Stormcast
The Vangard Hunters single-handedly kills my unit of 11 rats, and the Lord Relictor manages to charge onto the orb, while going for other rats.
Skyre 6vp Stormcast 7vp
The orb floats east.
BR5
He takes the first turn, thinking it might be his last chance to claim the Orb

Stormcast
The Kurnoth Hunters quickly put down my last Warlock,  while e puts the Lord-Relictor on the orb, and the Celestant Prime charges his Dracoth into the Verminlord. Due to some key save rolls, the Verminlord is only dropped to 4 wounds.
Skyre
Through a combination of Spells, and summoning the Quicksilver Swords, the Lord Celestant is killed. I have two wizards on the orb, claiming it.
End of game
Skyre 9vp, Stormcast 8vp.

Alex is still working on painting his army, but it’s already a well painted and beautiful force, so it was a pleasure to play against. I didn’t deploy, or move, well enough to anticipate his Deepstriking units. Him having two turns in a row didn’t help, but a lot of the damage he delt could have been mitigated  better. I probably should have castled up more, and used the giant rats to create better buffers. Letting a cannon get charged,  was a huge mistake. Thankfully, I have a lot of mortal wounds, so the tough stormcasts armour saves are not something I really care about lol.

I’m surprised I was able to turn around the game as well as I did. I was almost thinking of conceding after his second turn. But, in Age of Sigmar, you can get your teeth kicked in and still claw back victory with a bit of skill and luck!

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | I killed Dayan and all I got was this stupid rock...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sońando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Globals do not play 40K
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 05:20:22 AM »
That was a very close game.  Congratulations on your victory.  It really does emphasise just how important it is to stay focused on the objective(s) in Age of Sigmar games and keep pressing on, even when having lost a lot of models early on.

I did thing that your Skaven were going to lose after taking a pounding in the opening two turns, but the number of mortal wounds that your army dishes out is quite scary.  It's this that brought you back into contention.  I think that your target priority was also good, so well played on that front as well.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Sońando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Killersquid

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Staff
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
Thanks!

Yeah, the mortal wound output can be gross, especially with some good Rolls. The cannons are great for one-shotting enemy heros, and I can cast six spells a turn with my four wizards, most of which do mortal wounds.

The biggest issue I'm finding is with hordes, who don't care about mortal wounds.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
Thanks for all the great updates KS. I really look forward to reading this thread; it reminds me a little of how much I enjoyed reading Underhand's Necromunda thread in that I learn quite a bit from your reports, yet you also manage to inject a bit of humour which helps really draw you in. Great stuff!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Killersquid

• Staff
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
Thanks for all the great updates KS. I really look forward to reading this thread; it reminds me a little of how much I enjoyed reading Underhand's Necromunda thread in that I learn quite a bit from your reports, yet you also manage to inject a bit of humour which helps really draw you in. Great stuff!

Thanks! I'm glad folks get something out of it! I had another game against my buddies Bonesplittas last night at his place, so I'll write up that report after work today.

After that, I might not get in many more games before Capital City Bloodbath this weekend. How well I do there might depend equally on what matchups I have, and how much I have to drink during the event.

Some of the folks have been submitting lists already. Out of 42 players, there are already three Blades or Khorne players. (one with two bloodthirsters), a Brayherds army,and two armies of spooky ghosts (one with two units of 15 hexwraiths lol).

Looks like some very interesting armies. I hope to fight the bloodthirsters list, as it'd tear him apart ha ha.

If there is anything in particular you folks want me to report on from the event, let me know. There is also a 110 player 40k tournament happening too, but who cares about that  ;)

Post Merge: August 14, 2018, 08:14:32 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Last night, went over to my buddy Mike’s place, to play a game against his Bonesplitta’s. He wanted to give me a tough match-up for my upcoming tournament, and Bonesplitta’s are one of the Boogymen of Age of Sigmar, but a bit less so in the 2018 Handbook, with some price changes to reduce their amount of craziness.
For those who don’t know, it’s all based on the combination of the Kunnin’ Ruk battalion, and the Savage ork Warboss. Basically, he can have a unit of 30 Orruks with boys shoot 180 shots a turn, with 6’s to hit, creating more attacks.
Also, Boarboy Maniak’s Pile-in and attack twice each combat phase.
So, yeah, This’ll be interesting.

I used the same list from my previous game.

Mike took
Wurrgog Prophet
Savage Big Boss
Maniak Weirdnob
Wardokk
Savage Orruk Arrowboys (30 Orrucks)
Savage Orruks (10)
Savage Boarboy Maniaks (x10)
Savage Boarboy Maniaks (x5)
Savage Big Stabbas (2)
Savage Big Stabbas (2)
Allied Rockgut Troggoths (3)
Kunnin’ Rok Warscroll Battalion

So, the Mission we rolled was Places of Arcane Power. This is a reboot of the old Places of Power mission from Handbook 2016, where only hero’s can hold objectives, which are in the middle of the table. The catch is, only heros with Artifacts, and/or Wizards can hold objectives. Hilariously enough, for both of us that included all our heroes.

So, in missions like this, where there are three objectives with progressive scoring, it’s often good strategy to fight over the middle objective and one other objective. Trying to go for all three, is often a good way to spread yourself too thin.

So, I clustered my deployment in the middle of the table, and to go towards the western objective. He deployed exactly to counter mine (as I am a two drop army, he can drop pretty much all his units after me).
The eastern objective was pretty much alone on its own.

BR1

Bonesplitta
I chose to give Mike the first turn. He tried to cast Hand of Gork on his unit of 10 Boarboys (which would let them double their move and fly), but the Veminlord Veto’s that nonsense. He then advances his army forwards, and plugs his Maniak Weirdnob, 5 man Boarboys unit, and the Troggoth’s around the middle objective.

Skyre

So, my hero phase, like usual is full of all the usual shenanigans I have. My Arkh Spark Warlock shouts a command to one of my Warp Lighting Cannons, and it bampfs 6 mortal wounds into the Maniak Weirdnob, who promptly disappears in a puff of green smoke. I also summon two unit of Giant Rats with both my command points, in order to start surrounding my cannons. I also Summon the Soulsnare Shackles to protect my left flank, and the Maeflic Maelstrom to help dispel any magic he casts. The Arch Warlock injects the Stormfiends with the Vigordust Injector. Verminlord cast Warpgale on the 10 man boarboys squad, so they can’t advance and halve their charges.
So, I just move my units forward. Verminlord pounces on the center objective, warplighting Cannons kill his Wardokk, and does some wounds to his Bigstabba’s (one wound, can’t win them all). My tunneling shooty stormfiends get lost, and decide not to show up.
Melee stormfiends charge his 5 man boarboys squad, and just evaporates them.
So, whenever it dispels a spell, or a unit dies within 6”, the Maelific Maelstrom gets a power point. At the end of each turn, you roll a die and add the power level. On a 7+, it explodes. So, the Boarboys die, and the Maelstrom promptly explodes 14”, dealing d3 mortal wounds to everything in range. So, pretty much all the units on the board ha ha.

Skyre 1vp - Bonesplitta’s 1vp

BR2

Bonesplitta’s go first this battleround. In the hero phase, the Arrowboys fire 90 shots into my verminlord. Thankfully, his orb lets him see the future, so he’s only dropped to 5 wounds ☹

The Wurrgog Prophet casts hand of gork on the Boarboys Maniaks, who move 20” towards my lines. The Arrow boys move up as well, and shoot again. They drop the Verminlord to one wound, and kill one of my cannons. He Also dispelled the Shackles.
For assault, the Boarboys charge my Giant Rats, Verminlord and the Gascloud Warlorck. A unit of Big Stabba’s charge the rats on my left, and the other Big Stabbas and Troggoths charge my Stormfiends.
So, it turns out that Troggoths are hard to kill, but thankfully, so are my stormfiends! The Verminlord took down three boarboys before he dropped, but the Warlock Engineer just died like a punk. The BigStabbas on my left, unsurprisingly killed 9 giant rats.

But, he has no heros on objectives! Yay!

So, loosing two of my wizards, strongly effects how deadly my hero phase can be. Unfortunatly I don’t really accomplish too much. My shooting and magic mostly go into trying to kill the Big Stabba’s on my left, and it takes an inordinately high amount of firepower to do so.
My Arch Warlock charges the Savage Orrucks, to control that objective. My tunneling Stormfiends are still trying to find their way to the battlefield (idiots). On brighter news, the Mortar does 7 wounds to the Arrow boys, killing three.
So, Arch Warlock goes in, eats a bad warpstone spark and suffers 3 mortal wounds, and takes another  wound from the Orruck Spears. Ouch, not going too well so far, but the Stormfiends finish off the Big stabba’s, and drop the last Troggoth to one wound, but the Big-Stabbas literally death throw, finishes off the stormfiends.

Skyre 2vp – Bonesplitta 1vp

So, I win the roll to go first, and I take it. I needs it!

The Arch Warlock summons the quicksilver swords, which stab-stab the Troggoth (but can’t kill it), I also cast spells and shoot into the boarboys (with no noticeable effect). The Warp Lighting Cannon tries to shoot into the Wurrgog Prophet, but only does a couple of wounds. Stormfiends drop in, and shoot into the orruks the Arch Warlock is fighting, but only kills one orruck.
I advance my last Warlock onto the center objecrive, but unfortunately, the Arch Warlock overdoes again, and dies. I needed the re-rolls to kill the orrucks, but couldn’t stop rolling 1’s :P

Warlock, however, does claim the center objective.

Skyre 3vp – Bonesplitta’s 1vp.

At this point, I call the game. It was getting late, and was a forgone conclusion. He would very easily remove my last hero, removing my ability to score, while he would be easily able to get his remaining heros on the two objectives. Even if I went first in the fourth battleround, and could kill his heros, the game would go to a unit-points-killed tiebreaker, and I would not be able to win that.

Overall, a fantastic and tactical game. Ending T3 might not sound it, but we both felt this game went back and forth quite a bit. Certainly a great learning experience. I should not have tunneled the stormfiends, as there was no reason too. I really needed to focus on trying to kill his savage orruck warboss, as he let the Arrowboys shoot twice a turn.

On other news, I’m tired of going to events, and not having a place to put my display board when I get to the table, so I put some casters on a plastic storage shelf, so I can wheel all my belongings between tables, and have a great place to store models while deploying, or when they die. Also, a great way to keep my Beer and Snacks during the event.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:14:38 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »
Great games, Squid! That last one against the Bonesplittaz was a real nailbiter! Games that end on turn 3, but shift back and forth between favoring either side, maybe short, but from the battle reports I've often watch on youtube, those tend to be my favorite. They're action packed, but have a lot of tactical / strategic thought placed into them as things rapidly change across the board until both sides are exhausted and whittled down. Also great game against those stormies ;D, always great to see a good comeback!

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | I killed Dayan and all I got was this stupid rock...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sońando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Globals do not play 40K
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »
That was certainly a very bloody battle.  Those Bonesplittas seem quite difficult to defeat to me, but you gave your opponent a good run for his money.  The amount of shooting that he had was pretty impressive and certainly highlights how different Orc type armies are now compared to how they used to be.

Thanks for the report :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Sońando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 02:11:42 PM »
I still can't work out why GW and their play testers thought that 180 ranged attacks with the potential to explode for more hits was a good idea. Even the very thought of that many dice being rolled makes me feel a little bit queasy!

Great report though KS. Those Savage Oruks are just brutal.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Killersquid

• Staff
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
That was certainly a very bloody battle.  Those Bonesplittas seem quite difficult to defeat to me, but you gave your opponent a good run for his money.  The amount of shooting that he had was pretty impressive and certainly highlights how different Orc type armies are now compared to how they used to be.

Thanks for the report :).

Yeah, lots of 2 wound models are tough to dislodge for sure. It was a good experience though, next time I play against them I'll have a better plan on what to do.

I still can't work out why GW and their play testers thought that 180 ranged attacks with the potential to explode for more hits was a good idea. Even the very thought of that many dice being rolled makes me feel a little bit queasy!

Great report though KS. Those Savage Oruks are just brutal.

180 shots is pretty much all 40k is about at the moment lol.

It's all based on a single hero being alive, and a 200pt battalion, so the combo can be stopped, you just need to be able to reach out and touch him. It's also hitting on 5's, wounding on 4's, so not the most efficient of shots, but it adds up!

Savage orruks are pretty cool. Their reliance on squishy heros, and lack of armour is their biggest weakness.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria