I sold my Maugan Ra earlier this year and have yet to get another, but he seems like a good one to run with reapers for sure. How's this for another try.
Warlord I am looking at trying to put him in range of as many rangers and reapers as he can reasonably buff in the particular cover situation. Between him, the rangers, and Illic, I plan to wipe out enemy characters as quickly as possible, especially those that buff their armies. Of course the warlord will make for a priority target, as will the reapers, but between the swiftshroud and webway strike, I can ensure they get their first shooting phase unhindered, and with fieldcraft and said artefact, he should be tough to kill at range.
The dire avengers will form a screen while the swooping hawks take on hordes of weak units or grenade tough ones. War walkers concentrate on monsters and vehicles and hopefully keep them in check before they get too close to pose a problem.
Farseer stays near a reapers unit for forewarned, and warlocks use jinx to make priority targets fail saves and quickly redeploy units that need to get across the field fast.
Hopefully with fieldcraft I will be able to win the shooting war while using my DA screen to prevent assault on my more powerful ranged units.
All that said, here's the revised list.Battalion Detachment 1 (3 command points)
- Autarch (Warlord) with reaper launcher, star glaive, swiftshroud of Allainsar, and mark of the incomparable hunter.
- Stock Farseer (executioner / doom)
- 3x 10 Dire Avengers (Exarchs have an extra Shuriken Catapult)
Batallion Detachment 2 (3 command points)
- 2x 5 Swooping Hawks (Exarchs have Hawk's Talons)
- warlock (quicken / restrain)
- Warlock (protect / jinx)
Spearhead Detachment (1 command point)HQHeavy Support
- 1x 10 Dire Avengers (Exarch has an extra Shuriken Catapult)
- 6 Rangers
- 7 Rangers
- 2x 10 Dark Reapers (Exarchs have Tempest Launchers)
- 2x War Walkers with Bright Lances