News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne's Eldar blog  (Read 2552 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne's Eldar blog
« Reply #80 on: August 2, 2018, 11:59:14 PM »
great work, really like the white at the bottom of the warlock robes being paired with the instep white strip on the arms. The edging around the white strip is fantastic too.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Renegade Autarch
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #81 on: August 4, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »
Hot damn Seeking One! The amazing work continues. Absolutley luminous stuff... truly master class. Cant wait to see that Autarch... one of the all time classic sculpts for Eldar IMO. I'm gonna strip mine and do a cool conversion. Can't wait to see the paint job on yours. The Seers are amazing though, give us MOAR!!!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #82 on: August 7, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »
Amazing stuff as always SeekingOne. Your colour transitions are so smooth the edge highlights so perfectly done. Simply stunning as always. I love seeing your updates...and then immediate feel totally inadequate as a painter!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2018, 09:03:07 AM »
@All

Thank you ever so much guys! :D Such high praise feels kind of undeserved, but your awesome support really keeps my painting projects going.

I didn't quite manage to complete the Autarch by last Sunday - mainly because I decided not to spend the whole Saturday at my painting desk. Saturday is the regular gaming day in our club, so I felt I'd rather get a couple games in.
Still, I am making some progress - the airbrushing on the Autarch is mostly done.

Since he obviously keeps close ties with the Reaper aspect and favours its style of warfare, I decided to go for Dark Reaper-style colour scheme for his armour, painting the armour suit black and helmet pure bone. The blue&white colours of the Craftworld are featured on his cloak.

A quick illustration of my methods:
I first of all airbrushed the cloak The Fang, followed by Fenrisian Grey and Vallejo Ghost Grey (faintly bluish off-white) highlights, which gave me a nicely shaded white. Naturally, highlights were concentrated at the bottom of the cloak, where the white hem would be. Then I cut a 2mm strip of masking tape and masked off the future hem.

Then I airbrushed the whole cloak blue. After removing the masking tape it looks like this:

Similar technique is used to create a "mirrored" gradient on the powered blade. I start with airbrushing a contrasting gradient from almost black to almost white (with Turquoise in-between) onto the whole blade, then mask one half of it and airbrush the same gradient in the opposite direction:

You may notice that I use simple strips of masking tape to mask off the straight part of the blade, and add some liquid mask to cover the curved tip.
After removing the mask you get the look like in the first picture above. Fairly simple yet super-effective way of painting power-weapons!

To be continued... ;)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | I killed Dayan and all I got was this stupid rock...
  • Global Moderator
  • Soņando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Globals do not play 40K
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »
I love the cloak.  The technique that you have used has worked really well, as is reflected by the shading and the colour both being resplendent.  That blue is spot on.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente