News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First game observations  (Read 3448 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
First game observations
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »
I played a game using Power Level yesterday - 2 on one. It was over by turn 3.

Two chapters of Space marines vs an outrider detachment of DE and a patrol of 'Quins.

What I ran:
Hamey with Hex rifle - plonked a few wounds off characters here and there

2 x 3 man squads of reavers with heat lance and grav talons - were annoying but didn't do much. They drew a bit of fire power though and let my opponents feel good about themselves for killing something

2x 5 man squads of hellions with PGL and Agoniser - never actually got these guys into combat. One squad got erased first thing off the board. The other flew around mopping up squads as needed. Very effective. They were part of a highlight for me I will detail below.

2 x Razorwings with DL and SC - these things a BROKEN. I felt bad about taking them half way through turn 2!

3 x 5 man kabalites with a blaster - they sat in two raiders along with:

1 x 5 man true born with 4 blasters - also in a raider. These two squads made for very - very durable gun boats! I forsee a lot of double true born in raiders.

2 x raiders - These guys lasted the whole game. Their movement, the ability for the above passengers to fire, and the number of dark light shots I could put out was insane. Shock Prows are very good too. These will always be an auto include for me.

2 x 3 ravagers with all DL

Harlies:
Shadowseer

Troop Master with caress and fusion pistol

Solitare

Void weaver with Prism Cannon

5 man troupe squad with 2 caresses, three embraces, and all fusion pistols.

Death Jester

Couple quick observations from the game.

We are wicked fast. I know that was known, and I know a lot of people complained about Eldar having faster vehicles etc - but from turn one I have everything in their face. The difference I feel is that while many other armies have a unit here or there that is fast, our entire army can be. And we can do so with out penalties to shooting / assault. Battles happened when and where I wanted. Even with them slapping a drop pod down, they got a round of shooting off and then I moved away from it till I could swing back and clean it up

Dark Lances are amazing. The AP on them makes most everything just.... die. I rolled really hot - like 3 DL from a Ravager hit the enemy Land Raider on my first turn. For Damage I got 15 off three! I don't think I had a single DL roll under 4 for damage the whole game.

Split fire is awesome for us. My razorwings were able to shred through units with their choice of missiles and cannons, while their dark lances punished enemy armor.

Charging a squad flamers hurts. A lot of lots.

Highlight of the game for me was my opponent was using two very small units of damaged marines to shield Vulkan. One single marine and a two man squad. I was forced to angle my Razorwing so those two squads were between it and Vulkan.

Moved up the hellions so they had range on both squads and split fire 6 shots into the two man and 4 into the one. Ended up killing all three marines, opening up for my Razorwing to drop two Dark Lances onto Vulkan, one of which hit, wounded, and slapped him for 6 damage

Enjoy this while it lasts - I foresee DL getting nerfed soon!

As for the 'Quins:

Solitaire is still as, if not more powerful then before and costs less too. The movement on him is absolutely insane. I rolled a 12 for his blitz, as well as a 4 for his advance. He annihilated one dreadnaught (only had two wounds left on it) at the end of turn 1. Then blitzed, skipped, hopped and charged 38" to pop a master of the forge on the other side of the battle field!

Void weavers are better now. They have some decent damage. Not Ravanger level out put but good never less.

The death jester is pretty nice now too! I had him camp mid field with my hamey and pop shots off. 3 shots hitting on a 2+, wounding on a 2+ against a 10 man squad of marines was rather nice. Chuck in a PGL hit, and when they failed moral their missile launcher decided to take a hike!

All in all good fun - although now I face a dilemma. I have almost always taken my razorwings because they were not too OP and I loved how they looked and played - but now they feel like playing on easy mode!
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: First game observations
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 06:14:05 PM »
Reavers are really assault units now, those bladevanes were the upgrade they needed, grav-talon is just a nice bonus really.

Single shot heavy weapons like Dark Lances/Lasconnons are meant for anti-tank rolls, but all work equally well against multi-wound infantry/characters. Worst case they may change to get the damge bonus only against vehicles/dreadnoughts to re-focus their roll.

Eldar are quick, but dark Eldar and Harlies are super quick, the open topped transport is just amazing, suffer at the hands of those beasts already.

It kind of reads like you blitzed twice, its a once per game option.

It looks like fliers are going to make a splash this edition, which is kind of good to see as they all but disappeared.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »
Yeesh--that looks/sounds brutal.

What was the points/power level for the game? Looks like you brought a ton of stuff.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 11:47:47 PM »
Just blitzed once , right across the board - sorry for the confusion

We did power level at 120 PL, and didn't use command points (I would have had 4)

We also didn't really use missions, just kill everything - not that it would have mattered

I was surprised at how powerful the raiders were as gun boats.

And I tried to use reavers as character assassins for heat lance shooting, which didn't work out for me. Will have to try them more CC
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:50:23 PM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »
Sounds very encouraging. Really glad to hear you had a great first run with your DE+Harlies... looks like an awesome combination.

Really happy to hear about those Dark Lances doing well. I've got a Corsair Balestrike Band (jetpack dudes) with 5x Dark Lances that I plan on running as Scourge so its great news that you found them so effective. I'm gonna be leaning on them until the FW Xenos book comes out.

Great stuff Faitherun appreciate the intel!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
@faitherun
1 x 5 man true born with 4 blasters - also in a raider. These two squads made for very - very durable gun boats! I forsee a lot of double true born in raiders.

2 x raiders - These guys lasted the whole game. Their movement, the ability for the above passengers to fire, and the number of dark light shots I could put out was insane. Shock Prows are very good too. These will always be an auto include for me

If I may ask, why put 2 squads into one Raider and not two Venoms?! Never fought against them myself yet, but on paper 2 Venoms seem much harder to kill than 1 Raider.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 06:34:15 PM »
I do it for a few reasons.

1) It allows me to drop one squad in deployment instead of two for trying to go first

2) Raiders are actually rather survivable now. Venoms I don't think are any more so. What they gain in evasion they lose in wounds.

3) I don't actually own any venoms  ::)

4) I prefer to have dark lances, as I find Splinter Cannons to be meh now (at least on paper - have not used them much in practice)

5) Shock prows are a very cheap and effective way to get some good mortal wounds in. Slammed one raider into a squad of thunder hammer / storm shield terminators - it managed to kill two (one had a wound already and I rolled 3 mortal wounds). I managed to live through that combat and fly about the rest of the game making a nuisance of it by slamming into other small squads.
Flawless logic.