News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)  (Read 13257 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #320 on: October 5, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
I can only echo Dread and Mr Kool-Aid Guy ;)

Also, apparently I'm in a minority but I quite like Lucius' model. Perhaps it's because I love the fluff so much. Great idea behind his character :)

Either way you've done a great job on him :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #321 on: October 6, 2017, 02:30:29 AM »
Thanks guys!
@Cav- Cheers bud, I'm not a huge fan of the Lucius model but to be honest it really has grown on me.

@Orange- Thankyou, the trim is very time consuming and I can completely see why people use Sharpies on it instead of painting it!

@Dread- I think Slaanesh would definitely be approving of Kool-Aid, especially in excess!  ;D

@Ynnead- Cheers bud! I love the fluff for Lucius, the model does fit the fluff really well but there are just a few weird bits on the sculpt that I'm not a massive fan of. The face isn't sculpted particularly great and it's actually really hard to get a decent paint job on the eyes, looks great from one angle and then move it round and he looks crossed eyed or lazy eyed! I'm also not a fan of the almost Hoof like feet either, very strange for a marine model.

@Everybody-
So last night I got in another game with these guys and did a combined force of Emperor's Children and Slaanesh Daemons against a Death Guard army.
My list was:

Lucius
Sorceror- Prescience, Delightful Agonies
5 Noise Marines- Sonic Blasters, 1x Blastmaster
3x Obliterators
5x Havocs- 4x Lascannons

Masque of Slaanesh
Herald of Slaanesh
10 Daemonettes
10 Daemonettes
10 Daemonettes
5 Seekers

I'm not sure on his list but I believe it was something like:
Lord of Contagion
Blightcaster
10x Plague Marines
10x Plague Marines
10x Cultists
Rhino
Predator
Foetid Bloat Drone

Great Unclean one
10x Plague Bearers
10x Plague Bearers

We were playing the Scouring mission with the night fight battlezone (Already screwing me over.....)
The superior objective landed in his deployment zone, the inferior in mine (not getting any better)

Turn 1
I got turn one and managed to do 2 Wounds on the Drone and strip all bar two Wounds from the Predator. No more damage is caused due to a lot of missed shots (Thanks to -3 to hit) and lots of Disgustingly resilient save being made.
He advances with the Drone, Great Unclean one and Drone. With the exception of the Blight caster later on these are the only models that venture out of his deployment zone all game.

Turn 2
I move my Daemonettes forwards to engage the Drone and Plague Bearers, massed Noise Marine shooting knocks all bar two wounds from the Drone and the Havocs finish off the Predator. Daemonettes and Masque charge the Drone and Plague Bearers managing to only kill 2 Plague Bearers and fail to take down the Drone (Disgustingly resilient again!)
He advances with his Great Unclean one and fires a handful of shots/Psychics out. My opponent falls back with his drone out of combat but not far enough to be able to take out my Herald so loses his shots. Due to one of his mysterious objectives he manages to knock 3 Mortal Wounds off Lucius (I want to check the wording of this!)

Turn 3
My Obliterators fail to arrive again despite wasting two command points this turn and the last meaning that they now won't arrive at all. My remaining unit of Daemonettes manages to get into combat with the Plague Bearers holding the Superior objective but don't really achieve much! Psychic and shooting manages to down the bloat drone and the Masque having fallen back then charges into combat with the Blightcaster and puts two wounds on him, suffering two herself.
His turn was much the same as the last, a little bit of minor movement but everything hiding out of sight or out of range. Great Unclean one advances down my flank and fails to kill anything with a psychic attack. Both of the Daemonette combats continue with a couple of losses on each side. The Masque falls to a smite attack.

Turn 4
This turn was very uneventful, my Havocs completely fail to do much of anything to the Rhino and my Noise Marines fail to do much damage to the Great Unclean one, knocking off just two wounds. Daemonette combats continue......
On his turn 4 the Great Unclean One advances around to within charge range of my Noise Marines, kills a couple with a shooting attack and through psychic and combat he manages to finish off my Daemonettes, his Blightcaster charged my Herald but failed to do any damage.

Turn 5
My Herald fell back out of combat and using Smite finished off the Blightcaster, the Noise Marines and Havocs destroyed the Great Unclean one and the Plaguebearers leaving my opponent with both Plague Marine Squads, Rhino,  Cultists and a unit of Plaguebearers hiding in his deployment zone.
On his turn he consolidates some of his movement to make sure he is firmly on the objectives but at this point I'm not going to be getting close to these objectives let alone be able to kill the units on them.
I threw in the towel after his mysterious objective did another 3 Mortal Wounds to Lucius, finishing him off.
In the end the game my opponent finished with 9 points (3x Objectives- One worth 4, two worth 2, Warlord) and I finished with 6 Points (3x Objectives- One worth 1 Point, Two worth 2, First Blood)
It was a very frustrating game, not only because he was passing an obscene amount of disgustingly resilient rolls but the mission really had me on the back foot right from the off. -3 to hit at long range meant that he could quite happily sit back and hide behind line of sight blocking terrain in his deployment zone and capture the 3 objectives that had been placed in there. I had to advance and take the 2 objectives that were in no-mans land but due to the weight of the objectives that was never going to be enough.
I do love the Slaanesh army and it has been very fun to paint but I think that deep down I really am an Eldar player and the frustration of this game has kinda reinforced that, I'm not suited to gun line armies!  ;D
Here are a few pre-game photos-
20171005_193808 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
20171005_193816 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
20171005_193826 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
20171005_193839 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
(Yes.... there are a few proxies and unpainted models in there!)
« Last Edit: October 6, 2017, 02:36:05 AM by Aurics Pride »
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Saim-dann

« Reply #322 on: October 6, 2017, 07:25:27 AM »
G'day Auric!
Sounds like an Eldar plot, having two Chaos armies facing each other. The game that I lost last week was to Death Guard and I agree with you. Thier blessed resilient reroll is very frustrating.

Did your opponent place the three objectives in his deployment zone, or did they land there randomly? We learn more and become better players from our losses more than our wins, mate. Thanks for sharing... Be well! 

Offline Cavalier

• High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Renegade Autarch
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #323 on: October 6, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »
Dang it sounds frustrating. Those really resilient armies are maddening to play against. It reminds me of last edition playing Necrons where I'd just be tearing my hair out. Sounds like you played really well, but the mission pretty much screwed you.

Never seen that business about the mysterious objectives throwing out all those mortal wounds and whatnot. I would have been enraged by that. I absolutely HATE stuff like that.

Even with all those Daemonettes though it still feels like a gunline type army? I guess with all the Noise Marines and Oblits it would. Is there any way you'd want to change that? Aren't Emperor's Children pretty solid in combat? Like Termies or some such would seem good. Not sure myself just asking really.

Anyway better luck next time bud. And like I said I think you played really well, it was just a weird mission IMO.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #324 on: October 6, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »
Ugh. I'm not going to lie, that sounded like a crap game to be a part of. To be able to win by hiding and not really engaging at all...well, it just doesn't make for a fun game in the slightest. It sounds like it was all an exercise in watching paint dry.

Great to see your army on the board though, it really looks excellent laid out like that. Thanks for the update.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #325 on: October 7, 2017, 09:01:39 AM »
@Saim-damm- Haha I think Tzeentch may have had a hand in the two armies facing off, obviously he wanted me to weaken them as I know that my opponent is playing against a Tzeentch army on Thursday!
The objectives were placed before deployment zones were decided upon and were placed by an independent club member.

@Cav- Yeah, I had similar frustrations against Necrons when they just wouldn't die! It was a truly frustrating game and by far my worst game of 8th edition so far. Unfortunately most of my most hated parts of 8th were present in this game.
The Mysterious objective was basically that at the end of your shooting phase you roll a dice and if you roll above a certain set value you get to do D3 mortal wounds to anything within 36". I did query whether you could pick out characters that you are not normally able to target but it doesn't appear to specify. I was pretty frustrated by it to be honest, it just added to the overall rubbish feeling of the game.
Yeah, to be honest the Daemonettes were utterly awful, they are really poor compared to what they used to be. Charging into Plaguebearers they were just bouncing off and always strikes first provided no real benefit as they couldn't kill anything! I am going to have a look at a few more combat options but to be honest once I finish what I have that'll put me at about 3500pts of combined Marines and Daemons so may move onto another project.

@Loosh- It really was, I can understand why my opponent did it. He was a bit of a whipping boy in 7th edition, he won very few games at all and under 8th with the Death Guard he has had a lot more success. It was not a fun game in the slightest and to be honest felt like a bit of a waste of time. If anything it's just another thing that's souring me on 8th edition.
Thankyou, I'll try and get a decent game in when it's all painted up and get some decent photos of it!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #326 on: October 7, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

@Loosh- It really was, I can understand why my opponent did it. He was a bit of a whipping boy in 7th edition, he won very few games at all and under 8th with the Death Guard he has had a lot more success. It was not a fun game in the slightest and to be honest felt like a bit of a waste of time. If anything it's just another thing that's souring me on 8th edition.
Thankyou, I'll try and get a decent game in when it's all painted up and get some decent photos of it!

Then again, what do they say? Hate the Game not the Player. Or is it the other way around?

Really, it's a failure in game design when one player can put a handful of objectives in their deployment zone and then deny you a game. At least if it was straight kill points he may have had to move those Death Guard forward to engage your force.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »
Hey guys,
So it's been a while but I've actually be working on some Eldar!
So after a lot of thinking I've decided to stick with my current Harlequin colour scheme, but I will be needing to go back and repaint a few bits (once I've learnt to paint white.....). I did purchase one of the fallout hobbies airbrush stencils to help with the vehicles although to be honest I've actually  been a little bit disappointed with it. In all the videos I've seen and from the write ups they are supposed to be very easy to manipulate and to mould around curved edges but I've found that things didn't go quite to plan!
Here are my Starweavers and Skyweavers (and a Voidweaver sneaking in there). Obviously a lot more to do to these guys and I'm not sure I'm all that happy with the finish on the diamonds but I think I am going to continue with them and see how they look when they are finished!
20171018_141416 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
20171018_141429 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
20171018_141423 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr

Offline Cavalier

• High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Renegade Autarch
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
DUDE! I think these look AMAZING!!! I'm so thrilled you are doing Harlies... I want to too. Holy crap those stencils look awesome! Not sure what the problem is...

My buddy Brian from splintermind is airbrush wiz and I'm almost positive he's used these stencils (I know for a fact he owns them), so let me know any questions you have and I'll try to help! Do make sure to hit me up because I'd love to help you sort any issues you may be having.

But IMO these look incredible! I'm a total clod when it comes to precision type stuff like this with stencils and all that, so I'd like to know as much as possible. Especially with the problems because airbrushing is the weakest part of my game and I want to improve.

But IMO these look fantastic my man! I can't wait to see where this project goes!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »
@Cav- That would be very interesting. I would be very interested as to whether he had used them on any Venoms or Raiders? If he has it would be good to know how he had managed to get the stencil to wrap around the surface.
From a distance they look ok but to be honest on a close inspection due to the fact the stencil hasn't wrapped tightly there is no real definition in a lot of the diamonds. Unfortunately a lot of overshooting. I am going to pick up a black pen and try and use that to outline the diamonds to see if that works well enough for my liking.
I wouldn't get too excited over this project, I am only really planning on getting them up to a tabletop standard as I don't really think my painting skills are good enough to really do them justice yet.
I also still have a lot of Emperor's Children work left to do!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #330 on: October 19, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
I don't know, perhaps it's my general bent towards gritty and hazy looks but I like the idea of diamonds where the edges blend into the darker area. Kind of a continuation of the fade you've got going on towards the non-diamond area :)

Just say it was intentional amd run with it as a theme ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-dann

« Reply #331 on: October 19, 2017, 07:01:25 PM »
G'day Aurics Pride!
You're doing great work there, mate. Is it the lighting or have you put a bronze blend to the black. If you have, it looks amazing. If it's the lighting, then I'm stealing it for a painting project.

As for the diamond design, haven't approached my harlequins or seen the stencils. However, Have you tried using the stencils for your black pen and hand paint the diamonds? From scratch I mean. Mind you if you hadn't said anything, I would have thought it was intentional weathering... Pointy ears forever!!