News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [1850 pts - LVO format] Cronchaos  (Read 3345 times)

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
[1850 pts - LVO format] Cronchaos
« on: March 4, 2015, 12:28:55 AM »
This is a proof-of-concept list I've been testing out over the past few weeks. It's...amusing I find. It's based on LVO-like restrictions ("Two detachments max, no more than one CAD"), and modified Maelstrom (objective-grabbing and all that jazz).

=Mephrit Dynasty Cohort [Primary]==
=HQ=

[Warlord] Overlord on Catacomb Command Barge w/ Edge of Eternity, Phylactery, Phase Shifter, Gauntlet of the Conflagrator: 225

=Troops=
5 Immortals w/ Gauss - 85
-Nightscythe - 130
-Nightscythe - 130

=Elites=
5 Flayed Ones - 65

=Fast Attack=
Heavy Destroyer - 50
Heavy Destroyer - 50
Heavy Destroyer - 50

=Heavy Support=
Heavy Destroyer - 50
Heavy Destroyer - 50
Heavy Destroyer - 50

=Fortification=
Imperial Bastion w/ Comms Relay - 95

==CAD==
=HQ=
Sorcerer w/ Force Staff, ML 2, Spell Familiar - 100
Sorcerer w/ Force Staff, ML 2, Spell Familiar - 100

=Troops=
10 Cultists - 50
10 Cultists - 50

=Elites=
1 Mutilator w/ Mark of Nurgle - 61
1 Mutilator w/ Mark of Nurgle - 61

=Heavy Support=
1 Obliterator w/ Mark of Nurgle - 76

Total: 1850

Game Plan:
The unit of Crons without the Nightscythe gets to man the  Each cult squad gets one Sorcerer; they deploy on separate flanks and roll Daemonology. Getting Cursed Earth is always a nice prospect, as is just being able to summon Daemonettes [I'm converting them up from what is sadly left of my olde 3rd ed Dark eldar minis; army transport is a sad affair] or Flesh Hounds (spare warhounds I had lying around). Most everything else has the option to either start in reserve, or on-table as needed. I took the Flayed Ones instead of a 3rd Mutilator because I like the idea of having some extra horde control, and because a spare unit of Infiltrators has its tactical uses (tag-team with an infiltrating Bargelord and some Immortals, and...).

I see its main weakness potentially being that most of its shooting is of the high-strength single-shot type; I "can" get assault cannons on my terminators for a turn, and I do have Nightscythes, but most of the shooting is of the heavy AT variety. I can get a turn or two if I sacrifice summoned dudes, or a cultist blob, but improperly screened, the army will collapse. The melee capacity of this list is "enough" to deal with mop-up more than anything else, and to disrupt parking lots.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2015, 09:26:02 PM by MagicJuggler »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: [1850 pts - LVO format] Cronchaos
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
Just seeing this now (thanks for the heads-up on the Chaos Boards).

I think this looks pretty sinister for your average tournament foe (which around here is mostly Marines, Eldar, and various flavors of Chaos). A true horde army would be an awkward opponent, yeah, but how often do you really see those, anyway?

I do wonder about the Mutilators and their utility at all. I feel like there's *gotta* be a better horde-control choice than they are.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 12:32:41 AM »
The Flayed Ones are the horde control (since they got a rather nice buff), not the Mutilators. The Mutilators are one part distraction, one part area denial and support. I honestly think a classic trap when building a Chaos army is thinking that just because Obliterators can do *anything*, that they should be able to do *everything*.

Originally I used LVO minus Superheavies as the basis for this format, while planning for NoVa; however, NoVa is now tenatively allowing "Dual CADs" at 1850. Superheavies are still a no-go (other than the ever-expected Adamantine Lance).

Assuming dual-CADs, the best changes for the list would be:

-Change the Mephrit Detachment to a regular CAD. Of course, this means turning the Edge of Eternity into a standard Warscythe. Also, drop the Conflagrator (Which is *nice* but adds an even bigger threat profile on my warlord).
-Drop the 3rd unit of Immortals (which were there to fill the mandatory 3rd Troop Choice). They were an awkward weak-link while on foot, and didn't do much manning the Bastion.

This leaves me enough points to take a second unit of Flayed Ones, and give Bikes to my two Sorcerers, allowing them to run independently and do "Move->Magic->Turbo" shenanigans.

This feels more fine-tuned as a result.

PS: the 9th place LVO dude ran a Green Tide with heavy Mek Gun support and a Void Shield Generator (which most tourneys are disallowing anyway due to...shenanigans). Due to the way the VSG is worded, it basically operates like the 4th ed Kustom Forcefield. If at least one model in a unit is in the VSG bubble, the *entire* unit is in it. So you had a unit of 100+ Orks running forward, while being mostly immune to being shot unless mass anti-tank firepower was emptied on them.

Even without the VSG, there are other horde armies I want to test against, including Guard. It's going to be an interesting fight regardless.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:37:42 AM by MagicJuggler »

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »
I too wonder about the validity of the Mutilators. As a Chaos player I can't find much use for them outside of a bodyguard for Typhon (which I don't really play the zombie list).

So personally, this is just me, but I love the sword and board Lychguard. I pretty much always run a squad, even before I pick up the ever loved Wraiths.