News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The KoS Inquisition  (Read 1953 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
The KoS Inquisition
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:06:49 AM »
7th Edition is here, and while there is some bad, theres also plenty of good.  You know what's so amazing though that it turns the word good into a parody of a word not anywhere close to describing the Orky potential?  We have a triumphant return to the Kult of Speed.

Mini History lesson for those not knowing what the KoS is...
The Ork Kult of Speed was an army list modification from the Armageddon codex/worldwide campaign event in 3rd Edition.  In many ways just think the Farsight Enclaves or Iyanden supplement books.  The Kult of Speed list gave Orks the option for Buggies, troop choice Truck mobs, troop choice for warbikes, option to take Trukks to transport Burnas and Tankbustas (which at the time were Troops), gave us rules for Nob Bikers, Deth Koptas, Biker outriders, and gunwagons, and frankly the Armageddon book was a must have for any greenskin. 

While I was hoping, and praying that the Orks would get a Kult of Speed supplement, what we get in 7th is just as good if not better!  With multiple detachments in a 2000 point army, we can truly bring back this speedy monster, and with our supercharged vehicles hunt down anyone that's forsaken the KoS cause like an inquisition.

So Yes Unbound has some great potential for Ork looting everything, or Freeboota mercenaries working alongside hummies and other non greenskins.  But at least for now, I think I'd rather stick with the green, and get a couple bonuses for the old Battleforged... especially if I have an excuse to rebuild an oldschool buggy army.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: The KoS Inquisition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:26:11 AM »
I played bike-heavy orks in 2nd Edition and the new edition (and rumored new book) has got me interested in revitalizing my old Evil Sunz lists. I'm seriously considering what I'm calling 'Mad Max' style orks--buggies, bikes, and boyz in trukks. Maybe a Battlewagon for the Boss. Maybe play with the cool (though silly) add-ons to the vehicles, like wrecking balls and boarding blanks and grabba arms and so-on.

Excited for this edition and for the new book!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:52:50 PM »
7th Edition is here, and while there is some bad, theres also plenty of good.  You know what's so amazing though that it turns the word good into a parody of a word not anywhere close to describing the Orky potential?  We have a triumphant return to the Kult of Speed.

Mini History lesson for those not knowing what the KoS is...
The Ork Kult of Speed was an army list modification from the Armageddon codex/worldwide campaign event in 3rd Edition.  In many ways just think the Farsight Enclaves or Iyanden supplement books.  The Kult of Speed list gave Orks the option for Buggies, troop choice Truck mobs, troop choice for warbikes, option to take Trukks to transport Burnas and Tankbustas (which at the time were Troops), gave us rules for Nob Bikers, Deth Koptas, Biker outriders, and gunwagons, and frankly the Armageddon book was a must have for any greenskin. 

While I was hoping, and praying that the Orks would get a Kult of Speed supplement, what we get in 7th is just as good if not better!  With multiple detachments in a 2000 point army, we can truly bring back this speedy monster, and with our supercharged vehicles hunt down anyone that's forsaken the KoS cause like an inquisition.

So Yes Unbound has some great potential for Ork looting everything, or Freeboota mercenaries working alongside hummies and other non greenskins.  But at least for now, I think I'd rather stick with the green, and get a couple bonuses for the old Battleforged... especially if I have an excuse to rebuild an oldschool buggy army.

Peace
~OD

Not to mention that it was the first time that the IG had a mechanized army list (the Steel Legion) and the Black Templars got a special character that has stuck around (Marshall Helbrecht). Just a little trivia for you all.

Yes, that is when I got addicted to orks, and when I got inducted into the KOS. Since then every vehicle I have painted is red (except my grot tanks that are more rust than red) even my stompas are red.

Well, the level headed voice of Da Boss has got me re-interested in my biker army. Once I did have four squads of 10 bikers, but over the years they have been lost, and the sole remaining squad I have has been converted to nob bikers. I mainly strayed away from them as they were too much like my Saim Hann army (that I still have) and I went more and more to truck boys squads that have gotten better and better with every new edition. (too bad they nerfed the Waagh with that silly "run" rule where you can no longer run and charge) so truck boys were so much better as you can move 7" (with red paint) and disembark about 6" and then charge 2d6+1 with a good waagh roll that could mean 13" for a possible 26" threat range on the turn of the waagh. Alas I do reminisce...

I am hoping that the new codex fixes the waagh rule to make it worth something more than an excuse to yell really loud in a room full of gamers (that usually take this game way too serious).  ;)

ON the good note, as the only ork player at my local, (well there is another guy who has orks but usually plays his Tau) I will have lots of juicy targets, erm, I mean opponents to try my new tricks and tactics on.

The other good news is that with the unbound list I may very well have an army of truck boys and Saim Hann bikers. (after I get all my stuff moved from the other side of the state and into my new home, that is almost ready to move into, as my eldar army sits languishing in storage) not to mention seeing if I can trade she who must be obeyed honey do list items in value for models I am allowed to buy. (like mow the yard and get a new box, of course I have to pay for it, but at least I will have permission to do so  :P ) This way I can rebuild my biker army to new heights of redundancy...

As for new tricks I have thunked up, I will let you all know what they are after I have tested them to see if they work, as theory hammer doesn't alway play out in reality. Example, it looks like grenades are now used at normal WS as opponed to needing a 6. So the TBs should be able to blow up every vehicle they get in combat with. (there is an IG player at my local who always brings Yarriks bainblade, and I would really love to blow it to smithereens rather than just damaging it a bunch)  ;D I am sure that the rules lawyers at my local will happily let me know if I am wrong.

So many new possibilities, and more to come.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »
I believe during a Waaagh in our new codex we can run and charge in same turn.  Plus we have Ere we go...  which gives us a lot better chance to get into combat.    Plus we have the Mob rule so boss poles are more important now.   So no need to worry as much about pinning or morale checks.