News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New to Orks - need a little help from the Brainboyz  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
New to Orks - need a little help from the Brainboyz
« on: January 4, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
So I recently got an Ork army, and I am putting together a 1k army for demo-play against my friends, just so that I have something to loan to people who don't have their own armies.

How does this strike you for noob-ability?

8 Tankbustas

9 Burna Boyz

10 'Ard Boyz - Choppas (Nob - Big Choppa)
Warboss (Mega-armour, Twin-linked big shoota, Power Klaw)
Trukk

12 Boyz - Shootas, one big shoota
Trukk

11 Boyz - Choppas (Nob - Power Klaw)
Big Mek (Power Klaw, Scorcha/Big shoota combo, Bosspole)
Trukk

12 Boyz - Choppas (Nob - Power Klaw)
Trukk
« Last Edit: January 4, 2014, 11:32:30 AM by Rasmus »

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: New to Orks - need a little help from the Brainboyz
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
Well I don't know just how much of a Brainboy I may be, but I'll gladly lend my experience with the greenskins to aid you Rasmus.

For starters, do note that I am assuming what you posted is what you have, which isn't necessarily a bad base, but certainly can, and should be improved upon... doubly so since I did the math and your total is 965.

Lets start with Bosspoles, a rather simple piece of kit to plop on or kitbash, they're easily the most important piece of Ork Wargear, especially on a squad of Trukkboyz.  At first glance some people disregard their importance, but I've always found it invaluable in all my squads, especially if I'm taking Trukkmobz which are already towards the bottom rung of Orks Ld bonuses granted via Mob Rule.  You also have the benefit of being able to use the Bosspole as long as the carrier is alive (which hopefully the Nobz won't get Precision Shot-ed to death or quickly KO'ed in a Challenge, both of which are common deaths of Nobz in 6th).

When it comes to Tankbustas... well many players flat out refuse to use them due to their Glory Hogs rule, which frankly was put in place to try and mitigate the squad from just taking out most if not all of a Tactical Squad in a single round of shooting.  Unfortunately the Glory Hogs rule does feel in many people's opinions to go too far, and it has been claimed that tricky opponents will purposefully bait the unit with armor lying just outside their range.  I personally haven't seen that, but I also really haven't touched my Tankbustas since the current codex dropped, as there are lots of Ork Anti-Tank stuff most of which feels more viable to me than Tankbustas.

That aside, in the list you posted, everything is mounted other than the Tankbustas and Burnas, meaning that even if you swap out rides for those Elites, somebody is going to get left in the dust.  Unfortunately the smaller Ork units really rely on one another for support.  Commonly you'll find that a single unit of Trukkboyz simply won't be enough to KO an enemy unit that has sustained a few casualties before Assaulting, this isn't because Orks are bad, but its just a fact that they rely on numbers more than anything else.

ArdBoyz are generally seen as a waste of points.  They aren't always, but most of the basic Troopers guns will still negate Eavy Armor with their Ap values.  Add to that the higher point cost, and you can see why they aren't super popular.  Should you choose to drop that armor, you'd save more than enough points for a Warbuggy, which would be able to provide some fast AT, even if it would blow up at the drop of a hat.

The Warboss sadly can't take a Twin Big Shoota, or really replace any of his weapons, that's part of the deal when you take Mega Armor (ref pg 39 and 97 of Ork Codex).  Personally in a small point game where you are relying on a lot of Trukks I'd go for a more bare bones Warboss with a Big Choppa.  The Nob in the mob can issue or accept Challenges, allowing the Warboss to do what he does best which is carve through enemy Infantry, and when you take the Big Choppa you get to use the Bosses Initiative, which while being the same as a SM, is the highest Initiative Orks have.  4 Str7 attacks also isn't something to sneeze at.

The Big Mek, like the Boss can't have the Big Shoota, but it can have a regular shoota-combi weapon.  Of course personally I'd go with the Burna which has the benefit of being able to fire the flamer template more than once per game, as well as being able to be a Power Weapon, but that's my personal aesthetic. 

If you're really gung-ho about going with this list as is with no changes, I'll point at a Warbuggy with a twin Rokkit Launcha to fill your point value up to a full 1000.  But if you drop the Tankbustas, and switch the Mek's weapons for a Burna, you'd be able to add Rams and Red Paint Jobz to each Trukk AND get a Battlewagon with a Kannon, 4 Big Shootas, and Red Paint to transport those Burnaboyz in style & about the same pace as the rest of your army, as well as getting a rather large bulletmagnet, taking priority away from the fragile Trukkboyz enhancing the overall effectiveness.

Now I know that a Wagon is a big investment when it comes to models, so I know that for a small loner army that might be too much, but in my opinion its the best way to maximize the army's overall effectiveness.  This is just one opinion, and I'm sure many others will be coming shortly.  Best of luck with the Orks Rasmus, welcome to the Green side.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
I tinkered a bit (the above list was a bit of a rush)

It now stands

Warboss      
   Mega-armour   
   Power klaw   
   Twin-linked shoota   
   Attack Squig   
   Cybork body   

Big Mek      
   Power klaw   
   Shoota/Scorcha
   'Eavy Armour   
   Cybork Body
   Bosspole

8 Tankbustas

9 Burna Boyz

10 Boyz (Choppa), Nob - Klaw & Bosspole, Trukk (Warboss goes here)

11 Boyz (Choppa), Nob - Klaw & Bosspole, Trukk (Big Mek goes here)

12 Boyz (Shoota), Big Shoota, Trukk

12 Boyz (Choppa), Nob - Klaw & Bosspole, Trukk

That comes out at 1k.
I have 2 bosspoles in the Big Mek's Squad (one on him and one on the Nob. Should I drop the Nob pole to get a Big Mek to get  'eavy armour?
I dropped the 'ard boyz too.

Edit: I could drop the burnas and tankbustas for more boys in trukks to give it a more uniform feel, possibly a nob-trukk. I would rather not have to build a wagon to house the tankbustas.  could, but it would be more work than I would like.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2014, 05:32:54 PM by Rasmus »

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2014, 06:34:53 PM »
@Rasmus nice to see you adapting to the green side.

As far as the list goes...
Not really sure about arming up a big mek for combat.  With all the trukks I would almost rather see him equipped with a Kustom Force Field.   It will give your trukks some mobile cover. 

Tank bustas I am on the fence about.   I have used them with mixed results in small games.   (recently in a combat squads / kill team type game).  They are a coin toss sometimes they are pretty effective other times not so much.

The burnas without a ride are going to be a problem.  They are great should you get them where they are needed but on foot that would be hard to do.   If you used them for "counts as" lootas you would get a lot more mileage out of them.

The trukks are fine but a ram is nice if you can pick up the points.  Also Skeetergod has much luck with planks on trukks for those pesky dreads.   

I personally like big shootas on my squads as they got good range and decent rate of fire which helps to compensate for the smaller numbers of the boyz squads. 

With small boyz squads having a nob with PK really helps to land the kills you need.  Just watch for challenges as power swords have a tendency to ruin ones day. 

I think you will find using the burna boyz for lootas will really help on giving you some ranged support to get your trukks into position.  The tank bustas are your wild card.  The boyz are your meat and potatos.  Other than that you have a very orky list.   A lot of bodies, some speed, and with some ranged options a decent lower point army list.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Yeah, I am still tinkering with this stuff.

Warboss   
   Mega-armour
   Power klaw
   Twin-linked shoota
   Attack Squig
   Cybork body

Big Mek   
   Power klaw
   Kustom Force field
   'Eavy Armour
   Cybork Body
   Attack Squig

Nobz   6 (Big Mek bodyguard)
        Big Choppa x3
   Bosspole
   Waaagh! Banner

Trukk   

Boyz   10 (Warboss's bodyguard)
   Choppas
   Nob - Klaw, Bosspole
Trukk   

Boyz   12
   Choppa
   Nob - Klaw, Bosspole
Trukk   

Boyz   12
   Shootas
   Big Shoota
Trukk   

Boyz   12
   Choppa
   Nob - Klaw, Bosspole
Trukk   

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Well then, I see we have a potential speed freak budding here, so let me help you convert the rest of the way into a member of the KOS (kult of speed).

I love all those trucks, and you will too. However the problem here is they have no real attack power, and they just aren't fast enough. To fix this, drop the PK from the big mek. He is not a combat monster and if he does get into a fist fight you are using him wrong. Give him just the KFF. Use the points to add boarding planks to every truck that has a nob carrying a PK. This allows you to kill armor (especially dreadnoughts) without having to get out of the truck.

For the shoota boy squads give the nob the big shoota. (one boy can be upgraded to have a big shoota, then this same boy is upgraded to nob without kit swap) this allows your nob to have a three shot weapon that can precision shoot stuff.

Swap squads around, make the nobs the boss's body guard squad, and the shoota boys the meks body guard squad. Move the extra boy over to the smaller truck boy squad (remember the mek comes with a shoota or slugga so no loss of firepower for your drive by boys). Use the last few points to get one more boy to make all three squads of choppa boys a full 12.

My math makes it a 999 point list, please double check as my calculator has been know to lose numbers so you might have enough points to add red paint to those trucks. The red paint is good, as your truck moves 13" then turbos 13" getting in tight and too close to use ordinance on. Or move 7", dismount 6" and charge 2D6 inches, making some very effective threat range.

The next option is to drop the mega armor from the war boss, giving him just heavy armor, big choppa, cybork, and squig, making him a real combat monster that with the Waagh Banner boost will have him winning over half his challenges. This will give you the points to give those trucks rams. A ram allows you to go through terrain instead of around it, and a straight line is still the shortest distance, as well as giving the truck something to do once its squad has disembarked ( yes, a full speed ram is a bit suicidal, but tank shocking is fun too).

Keep in mind that everything in an ork army is expendable, and you will have fun playing your games with them. Not to mention that the ork codex does say that orks never lose. Have fun, and when in doubt: Charge!
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2014, 02:43:18 AM »
Didn't think about the Mek in the shooting squad. Clever brainboy-move there. I will redo the math and see what I can do. I have a rather limited range of models to choose between, so dropping the megarmour on the boss is not in the cards at the moment, but I will see what I can do.

Edit: So this is what we arrive at.

Warboss   
125   Mega-armour
   Power klaw
   Twin-linked shoota
   Attack Squig
   Cybork body

Big Mek   
100   Shoota
   Kustom Force field
   Attack Squig

Nobz   6 (Warboss boyz)
   Big Choppa x3
   Bosspole
   Waaagh! Banner

Trukk   
   Boarding plank

Boyz   12
   Choppa
   Nob - Klaw, Bosspole
Trukk   
   Boarding plank

Boyz   12
   Choppa
   Nob - Klaw, Bosspole
Trukk   
   Boarding plank

Boyz   12
   Choppa
   Nob - Klaw, Bosspole
Trukk   
   Boarding plank

Boyz   11 (Big Mek's Boyz)
   Shootas
   Nob - Big Shoota, Bosspole
Trukk   

So I dropped Cyborg and 'Eavy armour off the big mek, got him a shoota and the KFF, kept the Squig.
Moved boss to Nobz' trukk, got it a plank

Moved boyz around, put planks on all three trukks with PKs in them
Bot a nob for the shoota boyz, got him a bosspole

9 points left.
Should I get a stikkbomb chukka för the Nobz?
« Last Edit: January 9, 2014, 04:10:23 PM by Rasmus »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
I would add red paint to the shoota boy truck, a 7" move increases their shooting range just that much more  8)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »
Red paint can however ruin the boarding planks. And I love those!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
OK, then drop the attack squig from the mek (if it is already modeled on, then it is just a "hand weapon") and use those points plus some of the leftover to make one nob a pain boy. This gives the boss and his squad the feel no pain rule and makes them a bit more durable.

Of course I still think fast trucks are the better investment and even if you don't buy the red paint upgrade, you should still paint them red just because red is lucky  ;D

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 02:50:44 AM »
Sadly I do not have a painboy model, so I don't view that as a primary option at this point. I know it is really good, but it will have to come on in later.

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 03:42:40 AM »
Sadly I do not have a painboy model, so I don't view that as a primary option at this point. I know it is really good, but it will have to come on in later.

Paint a white band on one Nob's arm, and a red cross on it. Voila, he's a Painboy  ;D
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
True enough. I will look into it a bit.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
Here is a picture of my Flash Gits

These are all AoBR nobs with a little paint differential and some spare bits glued on.

Can you tell which one is the pain boy?

See, paint is all it takes. Something you might have to get addicted erm... used to, is that with orks you have a lot of freedom with "counts as" stuff. Since orks loot anything and everything and use it to their own purpose. So, your nob that you want to turn into a pain boy just needs a little paint, and not the actual model as sold by GW.

That is the best thing about orks is the sheer amount of conversion possibilities is just mind boggling. Don't have enough ork trucks? Have a few left over DE skimmers? Glue a few wheels on it, make a few extra holes and repairs, and presto: ork truck. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.  ;D

Offline Crispy86

• Ork Boy
  • Time to feast!
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Marines(Nurgle), Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »
Hi There!

The army looks good. at 1000pts I personally like to go with as many bare bones 20 man shoota boy squads with big shootas, big mek with KFF, warboss with PK and lootas.

I'd aim for something that looks like:
Big mek with KFF and boss pole
Warboss with cybork body, PK, shoota, boss pole

Elites
2*10 lootas

Troops
3*20 shoota boyz with 2 big shootas in each

Heavy support
Looted wagon with boom gun

I don't bother with nobs with BP anymore due to challenges and the fact that by the time the BP comes into effect you're normally needing something like double 1s to stay in the fight.

3 scoring should be more then enough at 1000pts and with the 20 man squads it takes a lot of concentrated fire to just remove one squad.

Warboss is there to provide you with a bit of combat punch and also to kill LR if the opponent has one, though even if they do its not likely to take that much of a toll on this army.

Lootas provide great support fire and can kill most air units.

Looted wagon is for a little fun and to provide you with a str 8 large blast.

Hopefully that helps!

Crispy
Crispy86