flood

News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What to do with my remaining points? 2000 points Evil Sunz  (Read 1544 times)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
What to do with my remaining points? 2000 points Evil Sunz
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:09:01 AM »
So I've been running this list for a while now and I've trimmed some things that I didn't need.  The list is fun to play and effective...  The problem is, I have 71 points at the end and nothing to spend it on...  I would like to add some more kannons, but I've used up my heavy slots...  Quick question, if I bought both big trakks in one heavy slot, they would have to stay together right?

Here is the list...

Warboss, PK, HA, CB, Skorcha
Big Mek, KFF, CB, Burna

19 Shoota Boyz, BS, PK Nob w/ BP
-- Battle Wagon, BS, Deff Rolla

19 Shoota Boyz, BS, PK Nob w/ BP
-- Battle Wagon, BS, Deff Rolla

12 Shoota Boyz, BS, PK Nob w/BP
--Trukk, Ram, BP

12 Shoota Boyz, BS, PK Nob w/BP
--Trukk, Ram, BP

11 Shoota Boyz, BS, PK Nob w/BP
--Trukk, Ram, BP (this trukk gives my flexibility to put a character here when I need too)

6 Lootas
-- Big Trakk, Flakka Gunz

6 Lootas
-- Big Trakk, Flakka Gunz

3 Kanz, grotzookas

3 kannons (And skeet, these are modeled like artillery pieces on wheels to keep with the mobile theme! lol)

Dakka Jet, extra SS, Ace

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline edamame

• <3
  • Armies: Eldar & Greenskins
Re: What to do with my remaining points? 2000 points Evil Sunz
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
The first thing that comes to mind is ammo runts for your Kannons. Extra alpha-strike potential is never a bad thing.

Other than that, you could consider giving your Warboss a Warbike and maybe an Attack Squig to increase his viability against some unique characters you'll inevitably face at this point level. Warbike makes him Very Bulky though, so you'll have to trim 2 Boyz out of those transports.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »
I didn't think he could go in a transport with a bike?

Adam

Offline edamame

• <3
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
Ah you're right. I interpreted the Very Bulky in the Errata as being possible to still have bikes embarked in transports like last edition (I think), but you're right that only Infantry can embark in transports.

My mistake!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »
I am surprised you didn't include a Green Baron.  Put him in and you only have one point left over. Other than that it looks like a fine list. Let us know how you do with it.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
Initially I did have a green Baron, but I was hoping someone would give me some other ideas...  You're right though, he does fit the point requirement...  I've just not had a ton of luck with him...

The idea of the boss on a bike has appeal...  He is pretty indestructable these days on a bike.  He could leave the wagon, roll by himself and either go with the trukks or the BW's...  Drawing a lot of fire hopefully before krumping something!

Adam
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:42:28 PM by adamscurr »

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
I'm gonna try to answer the big trak question...are they transports for your lootas, therefore they would have to be seperate.  Or...are they being purchased and fielded as a single unit, like a flak battery?  Batteries tend to stay together, transports don't. 

But, I could be very wrong on this...

Ammo runts liberally sprinkled throughout the force would eat into that 71 points.  Just a thought.
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice...  I decided not to go with the Baron...  I'm just not a fan in this edition...  I am going to try the boss on his own...  I gave him a skorcha, bike, and a squig to make him nasty nasty...  He has a good threat radius with the bike and is difficult to kill with his high toughness and cover save.  I can use him to pop vehicals or just put some threat on the table where I need it...  On foot in the BW he was safer, but less versatile...

I had some extra points left over so I added some boyz to fill out the trukk and bw and some more big shootas...  Can you really ever have enough! lol

Adam

Offline edamame

• <3
« Reply #8 on: May 1, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »
A pretty nasty trick is to attach your Warbike Warboss with just one Deffkopta so he can outflank.

A bit of a Green Baron on steroids. There are some inherent risks to that tactic, but since you're running him solo anyway... not much to lose.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
So...  Went to a new LGS nearer to my house...  Had a good time playing a new player.  He was running a chaos force and only had 550 points (or so I was told) so I agreed to play him...  I went with a foot slogging list of two 20 boy squads, 3 kannons, 3 kanz with grotzookas, and a KFF mek...  I was adding up the points in my head and forgot to total up the cost of the big mek, which I realized in hind sight put me over...  But, after plugging his list into army builder when I got home (I thought his army looked a little point heavy and I had to explain how you had to take so many guys in squads to take extra special weapons, etc...) I realized he actually ran 850 points so I felt better about my math error at going 130 over...

My Army
KFF Mek, CB, Burna

20 Boyz, 2 BS, PK Nob w/bp
20 boyz, 2 BS, PK Nob w/bp

3 Kannons
3 Kanz, Grotzookas

His Army

No HQ (didn't realize this till afterwards as well, he made a couple of noob errors... lol  But he will learn)
5 CSM, Melta, Plasma pistol, powerfist, HB
5 CSM PS, Flamer
--Rhino with HL and Combiflamer

5 Chosen
5 warp talons
5 Terminators, mix match of weapon, HF and RA (again, I told him I'd play him with his list, but I pointed out in his codex how he had to take 10 guys to have two heavies...  It was a learning experienced and he was about to get schooled! lol)
3 bikers

He gets first turn and saunters forward, shooting a couple of orks with bolters.  He holds the termies in reserve.  He turbo boosts the bike into assault range on my turn...  I walk forward and start unloading with everything.  The grotzookas unleash a volley on the warp talons, killing all but 1.  The shoota boyz with the big mek attached shoot one biker, then assault and finish off the other two.  My other shoota boyz run forward and actually are sitting on two objectives now...

Turn two, he meanders nearer and unloads his CSM near an objective in cover.  They shoot a couple more orks.  the remaining warp talon wisely jumps back and hangs out with the chosen, who walk forward.  I forgot to mention, he deep strikes the terminators this turn, but with some bad luck lands on me guys and rolls a 2 on the mishap table.  I happily stick them in the corner out of the game for the most part.  They do manage to blow up a kan with the reaper autocannon through.  For my turn, my two remaining kans turn on a the CSM and blow 4 of them away.  My shootas boyz on the right move up and blast 4 of the other CSM squad, assaulting and finishing the last one.  The Kannons manage to finally do something, blowing the combiflamer off the rhino...

We call it now...  It was fun and hopefully my opponent learned a lot...  I had a good time with a foot slogging force.  Typically I run everything mounted, but with a small game on a 4 x 4 table, the foot sloggers did really well...

Adam   

Offline edamame

• <3
« Reply #10 on: May 5, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
Thanks for documenting your experience. I think the only chance he would have had would be with those Terminators, but that mishap was pretty much a nail in the coffin.

You deserve some applause not only for showing a new player the ropes, but also your demeanour to his lack of rules adherence haha. I think sometimes a veteran player's inclination towards WYSIWYG and RAW can turn a newcomer off of a hobby. Glad to see that wasn't the case here.

Cheers!

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #11 on: May 5, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
I don't think he went away too upset, though no one likes to loose...  I do think he is going to have some trouble in the future as I think he just bought the chaos battalion and glued on whatever guns he thought looked cool without really looking at the rules...  If I see him again, maybe I'll give him some pointers on magnets! lol

Adam