News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 point Zahndrek and Obyron list  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Slakks

1500 point Zahndrek and Obyron list
« on: January 5, 2013, 02:10:05 AM »
Heya folks, I have a game on Tuesday with some friends of mine, and am interested in some input on my list.

Zahndrek with Command barge

Obyron

Harbinger of Despair with Abyssal staff, Nightmare Shroud, and Veil of Darkness

Harbinger of Eternity with Aeonstave, Chronometron

Warriors x20

Immortals x10 with tesla

Immortals x10 with tesla

Tomb Blades x5 with twin-linked Gauss Blasters

Doomscythe

Totalling at 1485

My friends play Ultramarines, Tau, and Tyranids. Since the Tau and Ultramarines players don't own any flyers or anti-air, we all agreed that myself and the tyranid player would only have one flyer each. We're going to be playing a round robin style mini tournament, so I could face any of them. My strategy is to have Zahndrek and the tomb blades move flat out turn one, then have Obyron and the warriors teleport in front of zahndrek within 6" so as not to scatter, then shoot everything I can. This strategy may not work as well against the tyranid player, so I'll have to think of something else in that situation.

I'm debating whether to have both harbingers in one squad of immortals, so that I can attempt to veil them closer, and use the chronometron to try to get some more 6s on the teslas, or ditch the harbinger of despair for a Lord with res orb. Any helpful advice you folks can provide would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers,
Slakks

Offline Idaho

Re: 1500 point Zahndrek and Obyron list
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2013, 06:48:41 AM »
Hmm. I think you might struggle against 2+ saves since you lack firepower multipliers like Annhilation Barges.

Offline Slakks

« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »
The only thing I can think to trade for barges would be the Doomscythe. I'm hesitant to do this since the scythe is my only defense against the tyranid player's flying tyrant besides hoping for sixes.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
Well you can not have two Harbingers from the same Royal Court attached to the same unit so the debate on that idea is easy to decide. Personally I don't see the point in the Harbinger of Eternity in this list, pretty darn expensive way to make a lowly Tesla Carbine twin linked. If it must stay, having it attached to Obyron's squad would probably be more beneficial to keep him swinging when you get into combat.

If you drop the Harbinger of Eternity, you're about half way to getting an Annihilation Barge (if you want one.) Four Warriors dropped would make your deepstrike footprint a little smaller and give you those remaining points for the Barge. Don't forget how powerful a twin linked Tesla Destructor can be, even if on the ground.

Offline Slakks

« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
Cool cool, thanks a lot for the help.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »
The only thing I can think to trade for barges would be the Doomscythe. I'm hesitant to do this since the scythe is my only defense against the tyranid player's flying tyrant besides hoping for sixes.

Well 2 Nightscythes would be better for only slightly more and 1 is just as effective, as they have to use the same weapons to fire at aircraft.

2 Annhilation Barges are also pretty good at shooting fliers, as 8 Twin linked weapons stand a reasonable chance of rolling a few 6s (potentially you could roll 16 dice if you don't get any 6s the first time round! and as we all know, each 6 is worth 3 hits!

In an army with such limited offensive capacity I'd seriously recomend them over the Doomscythe. Also, you're pretty limited with anti-tank, so perhaps the Immortal squad jumping around with either Obyron or the Cryptek of Despair should also get Gauss Blasters instead of Tesla (I presume the Warriors are Jumping too?).

You can get some more points to play with by dropping the Harbinger of Eternity and 5 Warriors (15 with a Resurrection Orb is plenty if you have other threats) to get some much needed support for the army.

Offline Slakks

« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2013, 04:22:15 PM »
Okay, I've got a new list based on your suggestions, Idaho(thanks btw :D) but my new list is a little high. I could use some help finding where I can trim it down.

Zahndrek with command barge
Obyron
Harbinger of Despair with nightmare shroud and veil of darkness
Lord with res orb
Warriors x15
Immortals x10 with Tesla
Immortals x10 with gauss in Nightscythe
Tomb blades with gauss, shadowloom and nebuloscope
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge

Totalling at 1540. I can't really trim the warriors down more, the only real option I can see is ditching the Lord, but I'd love to hear your ideas for alternative changes.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2013, 12:50:13 AM »
Since you need to trim points, extra upgrades should be the first to go. Do you really feel the need to have both upgrades on the Tomb Blades? Their weapon is already twin linked and they start with a good ballistic skill, no need to improve it in my opinion. That isn't enough points though...

What about the Nightmare Shroud? While it is good fun, against the enemies you specified, it only seems useful against Tau. It will have no effect against Tyranids and the Ultramarines will regroup and not seem effected by it. This still leaves 5 points over hmm...

After those changes you'd probably still have to remove one model from one of the units, then with the remaining points try and add back in some wargear somewhere.

Offline Slakks

« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2013, 02:37:58 AM »
My friends and I have a pretty casual attitude to our games, I'm pretty sure I can get away with 5 points. If not I'll knock off a warrior and add in something or other. Thanks a lot for the help guys, my list has greatly improved thanks to you. I'll let you guys know how I do with it on tuesday.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2013, 06:48:34 AM »
Your list is pretty tasty now! You have the Tesla Destructors, plus kept a flier which is what you wanted.

Get a few games in and let us know how you get on!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
not sure what your plan is for that lord but do remember that Zahndrekh comes with a res orb as well. Big Z looks to be best placed in the warrior unit - hanging back dishing out support and Obyron then looks like he'd be suited for one of the immortal units. I can see the value of the lord in one of hte immortal units - but am not certain that its worth the points just for that orb? maybe if he had mind-scarabs and a warscythe... but that's just making things more expensive.

To be honest because you've plumped up for Obyron you have to consider how much you want to spend on just a few hq models...

Offline Slakks

« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »
I actually messed up the math for my new list, 15 warriors is 195, not 185, making my old list 1550. The reason I stuck Obyron with the Warriors is just that I really liked the idea of Zahndrek going flat-out 24" in the barge, than having Obyron ghostmantle in front with the warriors, having the warriors be in rapid fire range turn one. While he's doing that I'd have the veiltek teleport up with one squad of immortals while the lord with the other squad show up in the nightscythe.

It's a bummer that I'm still ten points over. If I drop another warrior I might as well just tradecthem for another squad of immortals. If I drop the lord I'll have to change up my strategy. Though that strategy wouldn't be all that great against 'nids anyway I think, so maybe I should change it up anyway.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #12 on: January 6, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
Oh, I missed the command barge. I really think zahndrekh is better at the rear supporting your force rather than out in front trying to pull other things to him!? Dropping the command barge pretty much gets you that annihilation barge paid for. seeing as you have two in there you could then have a bit more freedom in how to use those last points as well.

Offline Slakks

« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »
Taking off the command barge and the lord gives me 130 points to play with. If I have the lord with a res orb supporting either the veiltek or Obyron's squad, and max out the squad of warriors, I'll be at 1500 points exactly. My other idea is to have five deathmarks, and maybe fill the 35 points left with 2 or 3 more warriors, leaving me either 9 points under with 2, or 4 points over with 3.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
Not trying to be a kill joy but I believe the old Obyron teleports to his master'sBarge trick isn't so hot in 6th for 1st turn movement. The Veil movement is in the movement phase and a Command Barge only moves 12" in the movement phase.

Offline Slakks

« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »
That's good to know, thanks Idaho. I'm wondering if, since both squads of immortals will have someone with a veil, and I already have the two annihilation barges for anti-air, if I could get away with dropping the night scythe, and pick up a Stalker with a heat ray, Using the extra points to max out my warriors?