News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warriors or Immortals in small units  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Galef

Warriors or Immortals in small units
« on: December 1, 2012, 03:54:39 AM »
I would like to hear some opinions on whether Warriors or Immortals are better in small units (points equivalent that is).

Specifically, I am running Harbingers of the Storm, putting 1 in each of 4 small units that are all in Night Scythes.

5 Immortals are only slightly more expensive than 6 Warriors.  I will be using Guass on the Immortals as it is more versatile and matches the Crypteks' Voltaic staff.

Does the improved armour save and higher str gun of the Immortals out weight the extra wound/gun?
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: Warriors or Immortals in small units
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
In my opinion yes Immortals are a better choice for small units. As you mentioned they have a better armor save and stronger gun with better AP so are more versatile. And yes Gauss is the better choice when pairing with a Harbinger of the Storm as they can both deal fairly well with infantry and vehicles, especially when deploying from a Night Scythe within Rapid Fire range.

Now the only way I would go against this opinion is if your meta carries around a lot of anti marine weapons, especially AP3 flamers. If your armor save is going to be voided anyway, might as well take as many bodies as possible.

Since my main opponent uses Heldrakes now, I've started bringing more Warriors to the table. Against him at least the Gauss Flayer is just about as effective as the Gauss Blaster so I'm not really losing much in the way of offensive firepower.

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2012, 11:02:31 PM »
I would have to agree that Immortals are better for a small size unit than warriors.  Generally, I've had better results with them at least at 8 strong, but I haven't tried such a small squad.

Now, I say this, but I haven't been using Immortals in my games lately, going for mass groups of warriors, so take my opinion with a dose of salt.

Do you have a regular opponent where you can play a few games with, testing out these units?  Or perhaps include both in the same list to see how well both do.  Then you could share your experiences with fellow Overlords.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
I've found that 5 immortals are better than 6 warriors. I use my immortals out of a scythe too... with stormteks.

Taking warriors because the enemy has AP3 weapons is a bit awkward, because the enemy may well have AP4 weapons in his arsenal anyway and all you'd have done is expose your troops to a wider range of deadly weapons!

The other thing to note is that a flamer template will cover 6 guys almost as easily as it'll cover 5 guys.

Offline Galef

« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »
Yes, and many of those template are AP4, making the Immortals better yet again.

Thanks guys, this has really helped me cement my troops choice.  I had been fielding 5-man Warrior units with Stormteks since 5th ed.  In 6th I have just found them to be wanting.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »
My AP3 flamer fear is purely from my Chaos friend. He only seems to run low AP weapons or high AP weapons, nothing in the middle. I also wasn't thinking 5 Immortals vs 6 Warriors, whoops. To me it's either 5-6 Immortals or 10-15 Warriors for my Lists.

A lot of my lists involve 1 or 2 small units of Guass wielding Immortals that walk around the field and they usually hold up ok as long as they stay back and let the other units cause commotion.