News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event  (Read 36015 times)

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
  • To er is 'umie, to WaaaaaaagH! is divine.
Re: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event
« Reply #60 on: June 9, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »
small plastic !

It's a fine gauge plasticard rod, 10/1000" I think (0.25mm). I just cut tiny bits off with a scalpel and glue them on. I pick them up and place them with the tip of the scalpel blade and use the Matel plastic glue with a needle applicator.   
Blood Axe Orks W/D/L - 12/3/1

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #61 on: June 9, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
Hey, I hope its not too late to pledge, I need some motivation.

I have two boxes of boar riders from fantasy.

I pledge to convert and paint 10 cyboars (to be fielded as bikes).
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »
OD the tyrant dread is looking sweet great mega battle damage.  Plus I would love to see you do the trukk I want to see you make something with a smooth edge on it.  And resist the urge to battle damage it.
Thanks.  Resisting the urge to do battle damage, especially the semi-massive amount I usually overboard my minis with will be hard, but its something I will have to do... one day.  Battle damage is naturally Orky to me, and thankfully my scrap offcuts of Plasticard are almost all scratched and dinged up all ready which does thankfully save me some time in the present.

CheesyRobMan I hope one day to be able to paint with half the amount of skill you have.  Just thought I'd let you know.

Zognuts you have no idea how tempted I am to loot your work for a Chinnork of my own.  As a question are you using the measurements of the official model?  I ask because I have yet to find them on the web, and being a perfectionist (as well as having many opponents who refuse to play against konversions that aren't built at the exact size) I was wondering if you could clue me in (PM would probably be best, we don't want to clutter the thread with too much info and I very well might be the only one who wants to know).  As a side note where did you get the bits added to the back of the guns?  I don't recognize them, but that may be in part because its currently 3 am)

@OD.  I will give you some mega props, I hate working on metal models as even glueing them is a real pain.   Your konversion work is coming along very good.   
thanks a lot AoD, I will admit that it's not that much fun working with the metal, but thankfully once I got a base of card down over the bits I could resort to my standard plastic glue.  The Tyrant right now is my favorite Konversion I've done so far both in this event and in my miniature konversion history.  I really hope I can only paint it good now!

Respekt, I can't speak for AoD, but even if it is too late to pledge I'll cheer you on!  Cyborks are cool, and its a very fluffy old school choice.  I'll state the obvious though as well as my own opinion in the matter that you make them Snakebites.  Yes it is the obvious choice, but Goffs are often overdone, and they don't exactly fit very well with Evil Sunz or Blood Axes.  An argument could be made for fancy Bad Moon stables or Death Skulls stealing them and cybering them up to hide the fact that they're stolen goods, but Snakebites would be really cool, and they aren't seen too often.

As for myself this is my project update
18.5 hours into projekt...
Not exactly the most productive I've ever been, working on the "Serpent Dread".  Mostly things not sticking together too well, leading to reglue/replace, and having to cut (and re-cut) wire; there were lots of screwups and things not turning out exactly as planned.  But of course I should let some WIP photos do most of the talking.

Here we can see the Serpent Dread with its shiny new set of wheels for the front.  While it may look like an easy bit of scratchbuilding, boy oh boy was it a pain!  You may (or may not) notice two bits of tube attached forward at the top.  Now originally I was thinking this as non DCCW mounts but taking a break from all of them being CC monsters.  But more on that later...

Of course this close up on the wheel assembly does show a bit of my screwups.  This was actually the third front mock up that I made (Of course there will be bits covering it, but the other two times it really didn't come out right, leading me to have to remake it!).  The Wheel really needs to get repositioned to hide the imperfection caused by a glue drip, but that I'll have to do at a slightly later time.

Now remember how I said that I put some tube up at the top?  Well this is what I ended up doing instead of adding switchable guns...

I loved the concept much more than the way it turned out.  Which in its own right was the 9th or 10th time repositioning everything!  Those dang guitar string wires kept exploding outward and ripped out the positioning of the tubing to the point that I almost regret taking all the time and hard work putting it together.  Don't get me wrong I'm happy with it (I guess), but it just doesn't quite feel like it was worth all the effort.  I know I'll probably change my mind post paint, but right now I'm not too into the Serpent Dread anymore.

To make this projekt even more complicated than it had to be my Roommate moved the Deff Dread sprues and doesn't remember where they were put, which means that all the bits not already cut and in the bits box are lost to the warp of the house.  It'll probably show up right after the end of the month when this project is "over".

Anyways everyone's builds are looking great, and I look forward to seeing them all fully complete.  I'll race ya'll to the finish line!

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
Zog and Od...  I'm really enjoying watching you work... 

Zog, I think your riveting and plating is amazing... The movement from GW parts to your own plasticard is flawless...

Od, I am really liking the guitar strings packed like that...  It looks like what I would picture a big mek would come up with to control a tyranid...  I picture the other end of those wires haphazardly shoved into it's brain! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
Hey, I hope its not too late to pledge, I need some motivation.

I have two boxes of boar riders from fantasy.

I pledge to convert and paint 10 cyboars (to be fielded as bikes).

Nope, not at all, welcome aboard.   I will continue to take people.   The only limit really is the time to finish as it needs to be COMPLETELY finished by the end of the month.   Be careful, what you pledge.   On the 15th I am locking in the projects.

Speaking of projects.   The crappy humidity in FL this weekend made it impossible to spray paint / prime.   Very annoying.  I was hoping to have both trukks primed.

So instead I decided to take on doing my gunners.   I wanted some characters to go along with my trukks.   

For my Ford Truck that is actually looking more like a hot rod.  I made my gunner gripping the roll bar with his hair flowing in the wind.   

So since the Kustom ork trukk is going to be for my Redneck Boyz, what better way then to make their gunner, just one o da Boyz.   He got his custom made cowboy hat and all.   Nice little fun konversion that added some character.

And on that note boyz, time to gitz er done...   

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 10:24:04 PM »
The cowboy hat is hillarious...  Are you going to have a squad of Cow'boyz to go with him?

Adam

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
The cowboy hat is hillarious...  Are you going to have a squad of Cow'boyz to go with him?

Not in this run, but down the road absolutely.   Going to do some Redneck Boyz or Cow'boyz, lol.   It will be nice to do with a trukk squad.  Gotta give the Nob a belt buckle, and maybe some spurrs.  Will definately be doing some more konversions down the road but they will have cowboy hats, boots, and possibly white tank tops.   

Not to mention my next squad of rokkit buggies will be made from tractors.    But again all for a much later time as my two trukks will probably kill out the rest of this month. 

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
Progress for me seems slow compared to everybody else on here  who are posting some AMAZING things, its nice to see so much eye candy in one place.

As far as what Ive done so far.

1 Big Mek (finished)

12 Ard Boyz (inc Nob) (finished)

12 Boyz and Nob (only just started)

1 Trukk (primed and built)  Im going to see what I can do with an airbrush on this model and see if I can go to town on it.... Im thinking that in order for it to be wysiwyg with a red paint job but wanting to maintain a generally Goffy feel i'll do some sort of go faster stripe or a couple of red panels but keep the overall colour of black and dark metals.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
OK quick update I'm currently riveting,  thus I just realized that my manz are taking more rivets than my battlewagon did.  Once I get the rivets on I'm going to to try and get a picture or two up before I start painting them up.    Still needing to pick a clan for colors but I have think I finally narrowed it down to goffs or bad moons. 

Respekt  I would go Snakebites for the boar riders cause you can get by with darn near no cybermods to the boars, and still stay in fluff.  Plus I'm interested in how they turn out they are on my list of future additions to my army but I'm probually going for a custom beast.  I still need to get my greenstuff skills alittle better but after my last warboss build I'm about ready.   

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »
Imperium has severly dampened my ability to get my Whaagh underway >:(  Have to re-locate my boyz (family) in two weeks due to heavy pollution from neighbors.  Apologies to MORK AND GORK, will rag on the boys harder next month, I am not worthy  ;)

So will not be able to get any portion of my list even started, sorry guys
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
It happens! lol  Just make sure you get back on the battle wagon afterwards! lol

Adam

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
Oh I will, I really want to get stuck in on the Boyz, I havnt had this much inspiration since I did my GK and Eldar.  I have to make it happen , going to drive myself CRAZY MAD DOC if I dont  :P
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
Well, I am finally back home from vacation. So I went and picked up my two jets today, but she who must be obeyed has me unloading the RV and doing the laundry from the last two weeks, so I am unable to start on them today. :'(

I know this is about finishing models that are in need of completion, but... (picture me as Dr. Banner trying not to turn into the Hulk) I... Just... Can't.... Resist...  Assembling... The... Planes....! ::)

I will start on them tomorrow morning, and will get pictures of them up just as soon as they are assembled. Then of course the painting and then to take them to battle. I know a GK player who really needs to be firebombed  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
I... Just... Can't.... Resist...  Assembling... The... Planes....!

I feel your pain, I bought one last weekend and it is making it very difficult to focus on the boars. Its just so pretty lol.

But I converted 5 boars over the weekend and assembled 5 more today, ready for conversion. I still plan on adding some more work on the boars them-self, like wiring in the flesh to ease the transition from cyber to boar lol.

Sorry for the cruddy pic, my camera is mia so I'm forced to use my phone.

Cheers,

Respekt

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »
Od, I am really liking the guitar strings packed like that...  It looks like what I would picture a big mek would come up with to control a tyranid...  I picture the other end of those wires haphazardly shoved into it's brain! lol
Thanks adam, as with all works in progress there are rarely times when things turn out exactly as you think they will, the key (which is sometimes difficult for me) is accepting that and not letting it bother you.  I'm working on that.

AoD the cowboy hat is highly inspirational!  I never would have thought it possible to make something like that without using greenstuff!  I'm definitely going to have to try my hand at that!

Progress for me seems slow compared to everybody else on here  who are posting some AMAZING things, its nice to see so much eye candy in one place.
Valar you can't compare your progress speed to anothers, we all work at our own pace, usually dictated of course by what happens to each of us in our own lives.  Besides you have most of your challenge fully built and its scarcely 13 days into the month.  While this month will invariably go by quick, there still is a great opportunity to take our time.  The only part of this that's a race is making sure we're all finished by the end of the month.  As far as I know there are no brownie points or extra teef for finishing first, so don't sweat it.  Oh and have fun with the airbrush, they're the lightsabers of the painting world.

OK quick update I'm currently riveting,  thus I just realized that my manz are taking more rivets than my battlewagon did.  Once I get the rivets on I'm going to to try and get a picture or two up before I start painting them up.    Still needing to pick a clan for colors but I have think I finally narrowed it down to goffs or bad moons. 
Rivet away typhon, just be sure to post pics when you can.  If you're sure that you've narrowed it down to Goffs or Bad Moons I'll throw my vote towards Bad Moons.  Goffs are seem to be supercommon, and such nice minis shouldn't have a predictable paint scheme.  Fluff-wise anything more than Black White and a very small splattering of red is decidedly un-goffy, whereas with Bad Moons are not as regimented and excel in bright garish colors and flame motifs, I even remember a Bad Moon banner in Waaargh the Orks that featured Red lightning.  (FYI for those who don't know Waaargh the Orks was a 2nd edition book that mostly featured background fluff, banner concepts, and various paint ideas for warbands.  It is also somewhat difficult to track down, but is a great read and certainly wonderful inspiration for any Ork)

Boss Ard'Ragger sorry to hear about your woes.  Best of luck to your future projects.

Skeetergod you know I'm looking forward to seeing those planes, as is the rest of the forum.  I must ask though if you intend to build them straight or if you have some of your patented kustomizations in mind for them.

Respekt you have a great start there, and I gotta ask where you found the small wheel on the front row middle one.  I don't recall any GW wheels being that small, and if it is from a different company it certainly looks like a GW one.

As for myself this is my project update
22 hours into projekt...

So the Serpent Dread took a tumble and kinda broke apart into pieces.  As if getting it to stay together wasn't hard enough the first time.

rebuilt

Looks mostly the same, there are small differences and certain pieces that didn't fit back exactly the same.  I'm going to chalk it all up to Orky rebuilding.  I also added the side casing from Leman Russ sponsons for shoulders because it just felt to me like he should have shoulder armor of some kind, and the down slope of it seemed to break the sterotype seen on most Dreads.  Not sure if I like it yet, but this models been a bit too much of a headache so I decided to put it to the side for now.

This is what I spent the majority of my time on, weapons for the Dreads.  They aren't all finished of course, for example the top left I'm picturing will have a stabilizer and round bit attached to the piston where the spikey bit currently is.  The Crab claw on the round bar was an attempt at a larger recreation of Buzzgob's Mek arms (ref pg 124 of Imperial Armor 8 ).  I think it'll look great with some battle damage, random bits and wires.  But of course the centerpiece is the best one of the lot, and the only one finished.  Well maybe not finished, I'll probably tinker with it more.  By itself it was an hour and a half, but at the moment I think it looks dead killy.  Unfortunately the flash washed out certain details like the exterior gear mounts, but it'll have to wait till daylight for a better pic.  I might have to hit up the Nid players I know for more Venom Cannons, I'm thinking I might have to side bar it for a Rippa Claw for a Mega Dread.

On the whole I had to make a posting here, 22 is my lucky number, and as luck did have it when I stopped earlier today I checked my email and then had to bust myself out to the theater.  Lucky me, I've been called up to fill the role of Fleance in a production of the Scottish Play, which will open next month, leading most of my freetime which I had meant to dedicate to this project gone to rehearsals.  Right now I'm glad I'm almost halfway finished, even so this projekt is gonna get dicey with the even more limited time I now have!

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:16:53 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »

Quick Stompa update. The CC arm is basically done now, working on the shooty arm. My word it's a complicated bit of model making. Details *everywhere*, and I'm very very glad I didn't assemble it completely as it would have made it almost impossible to paint properly. Still, good progress this morning, and only really have to do the supa-gattler's ammo drum and the supa-rokkits before moving on.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Whew, got them built in between honey do list, company, and going back to work.

The Dakka Jet I added in the extra pieces for the dive bomma and added a third set of supa shootas

The Burna Bomma I made with low bent wings, gives it the "heavy" look as well as being a bit different looking from the picture on the box, and over the holes for the supa shootas I put a spotlight and a noise maker so that the pilot not only makes noise when he is on a bomb run but can see in the dark to do it.

As you can see by the tail wings that it has already suffered damage when it fell off the table and broke off the rear wing, and after gluing it on it dried in a slightly off kilter angle, oh well, just makes it a bit more orky.

Now to wait for it to quit with all this rain and I will get some priming and painting done.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
Stompa's gun arm is finished at last, along with the glyph pole:

Working on the head now.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
Wow, stuffs looking great! Can't wait to see the final result.

Respekt you have a great start there, and I gotta ask where you found the small wheel on the front row middle one.  I don't recall any GW wheels being that small, and if it is from a different company it certainly looks like a GW one.

I'm not quite sure honestly its some old metal model looks kinda like an old edition assault cannon; I have the entire gun strapped to that guy lol.
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:38 PM »
And the Stompa's head is done. Next up, the only bit left to do - the main body...